Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Drongo  
#1 Posted : 14 April 2020 07:58:58(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Like all of us, I'm confined to home until this pandemic is over, and so I have quite a lot of time to work on my layout. I decided to start writing some schedules in TrainController and testing the trains. I ran a schedule with a steam loco several times to iron out any bugs in the schedule and when I had successfully finished this, I added the passenger car set 42259. I haven't used this car set yet - still in the box. I carefully oiled the wheels and attached them to the loco. On the first run the passenger cars would derail, especially over turnouts and at "s"bends. I thought it could be the buffers as they were extremely close to one another, so I removed the 2 buffers at one end of each carriage. Still derailments. Conclusion - the quality control at Marklin is non existant. The design and manufacturing at Marklin is inferior. This set is suppose to be the upmarket product with a 5 year warranty - it didn't last 5 minutes. If I send it back to Marklin it will cost me nearly as much as I paid for the set, unless Marklin are willing to pay the postage. They won't as I know from experience - Frank Mayer promised to reimburse me all my previous postage - that was over 2 years ago and I'm still waiting.

If someone at Marklin reads this thread then this is the best time to get rid of the deadwood in the company. Use this pandemic to rid these useless individuals who are not performing and replace them with personal that are willing to do the work, and there are plenty of people out there looking for work. Oh, I forgot, that's a good idea and and management at Marklin wouldn't know a good idea even it it hit them in the head.

Sorry everyone for the rank, but I'm fed up paying top dollar for rubbish.

Regards
Greg
Take it easy . . . . or any other way you can get it !!!!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Drongo
Offline mvd71  
#2 Posted : 14 April 2020 08:05:30(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Sorry to hear you are having issues with the set Greg. Your problem most likely lays in the coupler guide mechanism. But I understand your frustration as too many people are having issues with new or almost new stuff.

Cheers.....

Mike
Offline Carim  
#3 Posted : 14 April 2020 10:23:20(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
Maybe also check that the back to back measurements of the wheels are in gauge.

Carim
Offline cookee_nz  
#4 Posted : 14 April 2020 10:52:00(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Greg, is it always the same coaches that derail at the same spot?, or to put it another way, if you arrange the order of them differently, do they still derail?

It would seem unusual for a 3-coach set to have all sets of wheels derail except in cases where it's known that a particular item or set has issues with a particular turnout. And even more-so with a 5-coach consist. Does a single coach pass through by itself ok?, (each of them), then two, three etc?

I am aware that as Mike says, the close-coupling is probably the issue, and I wonder if the coupling has become dislodged in some way, possibly after it was packed (in which case not really Märklin's fault)?

There a balance with close couplings between ease of couple/uncouple, and a robust connection during operation and it's not at all difficult to get the coupling out of alignment just through 'normal' handling. I've had experiences like that with close couplings myself and there's usually a simple remedy.

Given the hassle of returning them, and the fact you have a bit of time on your hands, I'd encourage you to have a go at resolving the problem yourself. If you can't use them anyway, then you really have nothing to lose. One advantage with the newer plastic coaches is that they virtually just clip together. But you need to know where to pull, press, twist etc to avoid damage, especially to any fragile detail parts but before attempting that, do take the 'divide and conquer' approach. Eliminate the coach/s that cause no issues and you'll quickly identify the root cause.

And if you find it is something beyond 'quality control' it might help restore your faith BigGrin

Ozzies & Kiwis are well-known for 'giving it a go' ThumpUp
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline Rwill  
#5 Posted : 14 April 2020 12:27:32(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
I have this set bought the year after its Insider debut. It is located always on the layout and is very frequently run. My maintenance regime is not good!. It runs perfectly and always has done.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Rwill
Offline Drongo  
#6 Posted : 14 April 2020 12:47:49(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Rwill Go to Quoted Post
I have this set bought the year after its Insider debut. It is located always on the layout and is very frequently run. My maintenance regime is not good!. It runs perfectly and always has done.

Some people are just lucky and some unlucky. I nearly always get the faulty product - Lucky me. Cursing Cursing
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#7 Posted : 14 April 2020 12:55:26(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Drongo Go to Quoted Post
I nearly always get the faulty product - Lucky me. Cursing Cursing

Well you seem to have far more than the rest of us (either that or we don't run ours enough to discover the faults).
Offline David Dewar  
#8 Posted : 14 April 2020 13:56:16(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Changed to Marklin about 40 years ago and have had one faulty signal and my CS2 gave up after 10 years and that’s it. I do not mix control products but do have a Brawa loco and two PIko locos and some coaches. I find everything works if you run your locos regularly and keep turnout motors clean and moving again On a regular basis. Coaches do need adjustment from time to time as couplers and their mechanism can give problems but are easily fixed. I know some will be unlucky and Marklin and other manufacturers from what I hear are not great and are very slow at repairs which is not good.
Hopefully Drongo will sort the coach problem.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline DaleSchultz  
#9 Posted : 14 April 2020 14:04:45(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
I thought that years ago Märklin said that they would no longer support Drongo/Greg?
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline waltklatt  
#10 Posted : 14 April 2020 16:28:20(UTC)
waltklatt

United States   
Drongo Greg,
Have you tried rearranging the consist order?
Try to switch the couplers to the usual ones, not the close couplers.
See if that helps.
Maybe the S curves are too much for the cars to swing around.
Maybe the trucks are binding somehow on some 'burr' or other flaw.
Don't give up, I've had problems with Brawa locomotives, too many fine plastic details that are breaking off.
Always finding a small piece here and there on the layout.

Stay safe!
Walter
Offline mrmarklin  
#11 Posted : 14 April 2020 16:39:26(UTC)
mrmarklin

United States   
Since it’s impossible to know how well your track is laid, it’s very difficult to diagnose the problem. S curves, switches laid on grades or in possible S curve combinations are very difficult areas of a layout. I have this set and have experienced no problems at all on the ETE modules. We use K Track.

From the People's Republik of Kalifornia
Offline franciscohg  
#12 Posted : 14 April 2020 16:51:17(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Hello
It is strange that bad things happens to same people always.
Some coaches are more sensitive to derailments than other. I have identified who are they in my collection and use them to check how well my tracks are laid.
So, my first approach is always to check tracklaying when problems arise, soving the Problem in the vast majority of cases.
Also S section are not a good thing with no straight track in between. Also grade transitions, curved turnouts and radius are crítical. When you put more "stress" in consist derailments can occur specially with longer coaches
Regards
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
Offline cookee_nz  
#13 Posted : 15 April 2020 01:34:08(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Rwill Go to Quoted Post

Some people are just lucky and some unlucky. I nearly always get the faulty product - Lucky me. Cursing Cursing

Except we don't actually know yet that the product IS 'faulty'.

I suggested some tips before the post above to narrow down the issue, did you manage yet to try them out?

Cheers

Cookee
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline dickinsonj  
#14 Posted : 15 April 2020 01:57:53(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
This sounds familiar to me.

My 41929 coach set would derail on curves right out of the box. With some help from people here I learned that they had been assembled with the wrong internal coupler pocket parts. When they traveled through R2 or R3 curves the couplers stuck to one side and then derailed on the next curve in the opposite direction. ThumbDown

I bought the correct parts, installed them and all is now well. But these were expensive and beautiful coaches which didn't even have the correct parts inside. The parts were not all even the same, with some having been ground down to get them to even fit in the coaches. I would call that pretty poor quality control.

NotFreeToPivot.JPG
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline mike c  
#15 Posted : 15 April 2020 02:26:12(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Here is a simple test...

Run the train slowly. Can you tell which coach is the first to derail?
If yes, remove that coach from the consist and test again.
Does the consist still derail?

If there is no derailment, then the problem lies with the coach that you removed.
Inspect the coach to see if there is some issue with the bogies or with the coupling shaft.

Open the coach and check to see that the contact plate that is inserted above the coupling mechanism is properly seated.
On some models, this little metal plate can shift out of place and prevent the coupling mechanism from correctly pivoting.

Take each coach and run it manually with your hand over problematic sections of the track. See whether you can notice any signs of interference in the smooth rolling.
Let us know if you find anything.

As far as rubbish, I have two three car sets of Swiss Post Freight cars that have serious operational issues.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline cookee_nz  
#16 Posted : 15 April 2020 03:41:02(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post
This sounds familiar to me.

With some help from people here I learned that they had been assembled with the wrong internal coupler pocket parts. When they traveled through R2 or R3 curves the couplers stuck to one side and then derailed on the next curve in the opposite direction. ThumbDown

I bought the correct parts, installed them and all is now well. But these were expensive and beautiful coaches which didn't even have the correct parts inside. The parts were not all even the same, with some having been ground down to get them to even fit in the coaches. I would call that pretty poor quality control.

That's a helpful photo, but is it the before, or after? - do you happen to have another photo showing the difference?

Cheers
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline ocram63_uk  
#17 Posted : 15 April 2020 11:21:40(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
Greg, I'm really sorry to read what is happening to you. I went through the same issues, but with Roco coaches on C track.
I opened a thread about my trials and tribulations.
I tried loads of things too. Changed couplers at both ends of the 'coach consist', while retaining Roco couplers between coaches, changed couplers on the locomotives and lastly I changed the wheels. I don't know if only the wheel change would have sufficed but ....

Anyway I looked at the bogies and had a go at them as well.
Importantly, for Marklin, your coaches should run properly out of the box without you having to do anything.

I'm attaching what I did to the bogies, only the ones facing the locomotives, as I noticed that the part pointed to by the arrow on the coupling mechanism, in my opinion, got stuck in the frame of the bogie, the one inside the red oval, on R1 curves.
Fortunately I didn't have S bends.

HTH

bogie2.gif
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by ocram63_uk
Offline PJMärklin  
#18 Posted : 15 April 2020 12:14:41(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Hello Greg,

I had similar issues with one consist of Märklin close-coupled coaches.

Eventually I identified the offending coach. I found the close-coupler was not swinging sideways as it should.

Only on dismantling the coach did I find that the Y-piece attached to the coupler and located under the coach end floor (as imaged in Jim's photo in post #14) had somehow jumped out of its recessed area and lost the little spring (this would require the coach cabin floor and the coach undersurface moving apart) thus the coupling would not swing with the coach movements in curves and would derail the consist.
I put the Y-piece in the right position, renewed the missing small spring with one from an old analogue reverse unit, reassembled the coach and this cured the issue but it was a long and frustrating process narrowing down the problem.

Good luck in finding the issue,

Regards,

Philip
Offline Drongo  
#19 Posted : 15 April 2020 12:41:50(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Thanks fellas for your very sound advice, however, there are 2 reasons why I won't & shouldn't make the necessary adjustments to the coaches.

1. These coaches are brand new and are suppose to be the top of the range products, so why should I spend MY time trying to identify and rectify the problem.

2. My hands are not like they used to be and I'm becoming very clumsy and if I damage the coaches beyond repair then I'll have no recall to send them back to Marklin.

The suggestions made are that the bogies are not assembled properly and this suggests that the production process is not good, and there's no excuse for this.

I can't send the coaches back to Marklin at the moment as all postage to Germany is suspended - so I'm caught between a rock and a hard place, and this infuriates me. AND Frank Mayer still owes me the money.

Regards
Greg

p.s. I sent back 35 turnout motors/decoders and I received an email last night to say that they would repair them for about 6 euro dearer than buying new ones !!!!!!! They must think that we Australians are stupid because we live downunder.
Offline river6109  
#20 Posted : 15 April 2020 13:13:39(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Greg, you sure they didn't charge you 9 euro because we live down under ? (not funny)
I don't want to rant on about Märklin but this is one of the reasons I've stopped buying Märklin locos and haven't heard of this before (passenger carriage sets). your warranty is useless as the freight prohibits you to do so, others may find and report they've never had any problems with Märklin's production process but than you don't live in Australia or New Zealand, where it becomes a serious issue about quality control or the lack of it.

I'm lucky with ESU whereas I can send back faulty decoders and swithc pilot modules without the casing (not from ESU) at a letter rate of A$ 3.20

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline dickinsonj  
#21 Posted : 15 April 2020 14:29:44(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post

That's a helpful photo, but is it the before, or after? - do you happen to have another photo showing the difference?

Cheers

That photo represents what came in the coaches and how they would get stuck to one side. I started a thread about this, which is located here: https://www.marklin-user...-Rheingold-Coach-Problem

Post #11 shows my homemade solution, and later Mikael kindly provided me with the correct part number for what should have been installed at the factory.

Post #26 shows a comparison between what my coaches came with and what should have been in my coaches.

These coaches are not the only new Märklin products which I had to work on right out of the box. ThumbDown

These are beautiful coaches and among my favorites, but my experience shows that QC at Märklin today is clearly not what it once was.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
Offline mrmarklin  
#22 Posted : 15 April 2020 15:06:34(UTC)
mrmarklin

United States   
Thanks fellas for your very sound advice, however, there are 2 reasons why I won't & shouldn't make the necessary adjustments to the coaches.

1. These coaches are brand new and are suppose to be the top of the range products, so why should I spend MY time trying to identify and rectify the problem.

2. My hands are not like they used to be and I'm becoming very clumsy and if I damage the coaches beyond repair then I'll have no recall to send them back to Marklin.

The suggestions made are that the bogies are not assembled properly and this suggests that the production process is not good, and there's no excuse for this.

I can't send the coaches back to Marklin at the moment as all postage to Germany is suspended - so I'm caught between a rock and a hard place, and this infuriates me. AND Frank Mayer still owes me the money.

Regards
Greg

p.s. I sent back 35 turnout motors/decoders and I received an email last night to say that they would repair them for about 6 euro dearer than buying new ones !!!!!!! They must think that we Australians are stupid because we live downunder.

The close coupling mechanism can be delicate and I have had a few come loose due to shipping. There have been several suggestions as to what may have happened to your wagons. It’s very common for the metal plate to come loose, or the v shaped guide come out of its place. Or a spring to pop loose. All due to rough handling.
Not necessarily Märklin’s fault.
From the People's Republik of Kalifornia
Offline ocram63_uk  
#23 Posted : 15 April 2020 16:10:40(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
Rough handling? I can confirm that this happens also when we ship servers across the world.
It happend to me more than once. A customer of mine once sent me the picture of a rackable server they had just received, chassis was bent !!!
This was the worst we had, fortunately :-(
Courier insurance covered the cost of it.

Nonetheless this is really rubbish for Marklin and you are correct in not wanting to touch the coaches.
Offline dickinsonj  
#24 Posted : 15 April 2020 17:09:49(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Just for fun I dug up the parts that I removed from my 41929 set and took some comparison images. No two are exactly the same and I grouped them by the numbers on them, which may not have any significance. You can see that they were altered to be approximately the same, although most of them still did not behave properly. Two coaches did not have the copper bits and did not pass current. Luckily those parts were in the end coaches where they served no purpose and I moved them to replace the missing ones.

I doubt that this happened in shipping - more like a total failure in QC at Györ if you ask me. It appears that they just used what was at hand and tried to make them work. You can see generous grease on one, which could hardly compensate for them not being the correct part.

Part#3.jpeg
Part#4.jpeg
Part#1#2.jpeg
Regards,
Jim

thanks 4 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline cookee_nz  
#25 Posted : 15 April 2020 23:36:00(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   

Regards
Greg

Hi Greg,

Just a couple of things I'm curious about (if you don't mind)...

1: Where do you normally source your new items from? ie from an Australian-based supplier or from an overseas outlet? (this assumes all purchases are from a reputable outlet)

2: Why do you feel you need to send to coaches back to Märklin directly, rather than returning them to the supplier?

I ask these questions for these reasons;

A: If you purchased from an Australian outlet (an established Märklin reseller) then you have the protection of your Sales of Goods and Consumer Guarantees legislation. Your first point of recourse should be with the reseller. (But of course you do sometimes have the option to go direct to the manufacturer if you wish, but it seems that has not been to your advantage).
But sometimes having the reseller go in to bat for you can be a lot less stressful

B: Both the above questions also relate to the distance, freight costs, and time delays you may incur should you need to return something for repair/replacement.

C: Some resellers (not all) actually can do their own repairs, particularly on products they have sold. Sometimes it is simply cheaper for them to do that, than to send the item back to Germany. It's just a cost that they need to factor into their decision to run a business, (any type of business)

You've stated previously that you have a small business placing model railways into rest-homes but I'm assuming that this 5-coach set that you are having issues with is for your personal use rather than use on one of those layouts?

Regards

Steve
Wellington

Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline mvd71  
#26 Posted : 16 April 2020 00:01:28(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Hi Guys,

I have a lot of empathy for Greg on this subject. While the fixes various forum members have found for these problems are great, the fact remains that we are buying a product that is supposed to be top quality and paying accordingly. I find it emmensly frustrating when these things don't work as advertised, and even more so if factory support is poor.

However it is a good case that can be made from this for supporting a local dealer. As Cookee has pointed out if you buy local, then you shipping cost to return is a lot lower.

Cheers....

Mike
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by mvd71
Offline Drongo  
#27 Posted : 16 April 2020 07:19:49(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post
Where do you normally source your new items from? ie from an Australian-based supplier or from an overseas outlet?

You've stated previously that you have a small business placing model railways into rest-homes but I'm assuming that this 5-coach set that you are having issues with is for your personal use rather than use on one of those layouts?

Hi Steve,
I buy my goods online from reputable Marklin dealers in Germany. I send my products direct to Marklin because I find the turnaround is much faster. Regarding the small business, it has come to a stop because of various outside influences, mainly because local councils are not forthcoming with consents to build new facilities, however, we still maintain the facilities.
These items that I've mentioned in this thread are for my personal layout, and after spending quite a few hours experimenting and implementing the recommendations mentioned here, I think I have discovered the problem.
Marklin for some unknown reason have installed extremely complex coupling mechanisms in 2 of the coaches - WHY? When the other 3 coaches have simple mechanisms. I applied some Inox spray on the mechanisms and so far everything is ok. There are about 5 or 6 moving parts in each mechanism and all this does is give more chances of something to go wrong. The buffers actually slide from side to side - WHY ????? Is it because this is prototypical ? Very anal. Who will notice that the buffers are moving ?? This is why I believe that Marklin have lost the plot - providing model trains for about 1 or 2 % of their customers.

Edited by moderator 18 April 2020 17:51:54(UTC)  | Reason: Edited to not include Cookee's entire post, as we don't need to read it twice!

Offline river6109  
#28 Posted : 16 April 2020 13:15:02(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Greg, I've noticed this with the new hopper cars, the base is still metal but the coupling is plastic, ovetr time there is so much friction the coupling doesn't move freely and the hopper cars derail, adding oil or grease solves the problem.

John
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline Drongo  
#29 Posted : 16 April 2020 14:43:28(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
Greg, I've noticed this with the new hopper cars, the base is still metal but the coupling is plastic, ovetr time there is so much friction the coupling doesn't move freely and the hopper cars derail, adding oil or grease solves the problem.

John

Thanks John. You help to prove my point about Marklin. I want Marklin to take notice so as they go back to producing the premium products. That's all I want from them - QUALITY
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Drongo
Offline dickinsonj  
#30 Posted : 16 April 2020 14:54:06(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
I believe that Märklin has made a strategic decision to favor collectors over people who actually operate their products. Unfortunately that is not me.

Their models get ever more beautiful on the outside with so many details that you can hardly open them for servicing without breaking something.

In my opinion any loco that costs 500€ to 800€ and comes with a 10€ motor is much more for show than for actual use.
Regards,
Jim

thanks 6 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline Drongo  
#31 Posted : 18 April 2020 14:16:14(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
I believe that Märklin has made a strategic decision to favor collectors over people who actually operate their products. Unfortunately that is not me.

Their models get ever more beautiful on the outside with so many details that you can hardly open them for servicing without breaking something.

In my opinion any loco that costs 500€ to 800€ and comes with a 10€ motor is much more for show than for actual use.

Well said. It reminds me of the time when I was working and I attended a woodworking machinery exhibition in Dusselldorf in the 1990's, and I was walking past an Italian Machinery company who were exhibiting a number of machines. One in particular I was looking at was a beam saw. For those who don't know what a beam saw is - it's a circular saw machine that is capable of cutting a stack of boards automatically (a brief explanation) and at they time they cost around 100,000 euro. A salesman walked up to me and said "What do you think of the colour - beautifully, eh". I couldn't give a rat's about the colour, I wanted to know if it worked well. And this is the path that Marklin is going down. This Italian machinery company doesn't exist anymore - and they wonder why.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Drongo
Offline RayF  
#32 Posted : 18 April 2020 20:01:27(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
With model trains one has to balance the looks of the model with the functionality. Older models worked well (in a basic kind of way) but sacrificed accuracy. Modern train models tend to be much more accurate and therefore have to sacrifice some of the "chunky" detailing which was necessary for strength and durability.

In general, I prefer the modern trend of more accurate models with fine detailing. They look so much better on the layout! Yes, you have to be more careful when handling them, and sometimes they are damaged in transit when the packaging was inadequate or they were roughly handled in transit. This is inevitable unless we go back to 1960s standards.

Maybe if this is what you prefer you can stick to buying older models second hand? Many people do and enjoy this branch of the hobby. I prefer to get ever more accurate and finely detailed models, and actually my experience is that 99% of my models worked fine out of the box and still do so.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline scraigen  
#33 Posted : 18 April 2020 21:58:53(UTC)
scraigen

Pointless discussion which is going the same way as 100s of previous threads.
Must build something
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by scraigen
Offline cookee_nz  
#34 Posted : 19 April 2020 03:36:25(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: scraigen Go to Quoted Post

(Devil's advocate hat on for a moment....)

How do you figure that? As long as people are participating or contributing to a discussion, there must be interest.

Obviously there is some frustration behind the topic but what's pointless about it?

I'm assuming you are referring to a belief that nothing will change in regards to production, and that may be so, but some very valid points have come out of the topic.

1: The issue of the reliability of these couplings for one thing, and options to resolve it

2: The importance where possible of having a good relationship with a dealer, and preferably, one that is not too far from you to keep freight costs down (not always an option of course).

3: The pitfalls of dealing direct with Märklin which can be quite impersonal. What you may appear to save in cutting out the middle-man could be offset in the repair not being done properly and having to go back a second time

4: Suggestions of alternative dealers with excellent service as experienced by other members

I could go on but surely you get my point?

Cheers
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline scraigen  
#35 Posted : 19 April 2020 14:48:08(UTC)
scraigen

It’s pointless because someone says Märklin quality is not what is was because it’s made in Gyor or China or wherever. A bunch of people reply that it’s the posters bad luck and it’s never happened to them. those who have the luxury of a dealer say talk to your dealer. others will say if you don’t like Marklin don’t buy it. I can’t be the only one who sees deja vu in this sort of thread or am I?
Must build something
Offline dickinsonj  
#36 Posted : 19 April 2020 14:51:48(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
In general, I prefer the modern trend of more accurate models with fine detailing.

Actually we agree on pretty much all of this Ray.

I do love Märklin's beautiful new models and I am learning to be more and more careful when handling them, so my comment on that was a cheap shot. My only real objection to the current approach Märklin is taking is that I wish they would use higher quality, more durable motors in their locos. I love the way they run and how quiet they are, but surely for the prices we are paying today motors of better quality could be used. Maybe then need to go back to having a premium range with the best motors, like the 39xxx series used to be.

My situation is worse because there are no quality Märklin dealers anywhere near to me. I buy online and if I need a repair then I am paying to ship my models off for repair and waiting months and months to get them back. So for me to make a large Märklin collection work I need them to be the durable machines they once were. I ordered a replacement motor for my 37015 months ago and I have no idea when it will arrive. It is partly my fault for collecting trains made so far away in a country with a very small Märklin presence, but in the past I could make that work.

I work in a business which creates custom hardware and software solutions for government and industry and when the mechanical bits don't last as long as the electronics you are doing something wrong in my opinion.
Regards,
Jim

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline dickinsonj  
#37 Posted : 19 April 2020 14:58:36(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
I can’t be the only one who sees deja vu in this sort of thread or am I?

No Stuart you are not the only one.

This discussion has been going on for years and you are right that there is no definitive answer. As a friend said several years ago, Märklin quality is different today but it is what it is and you either keep buying them or you don't. I guess I am still trying to figure out my answer to that.
Regards,
Jim

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline carlos.rivas.16752  
#38 Posted : 19 April 2020 16:03:57(UTC)
carlos.rivas.16752

Spain   
I can’t be the only one who sees deja vu in this sort of thread or am I?

No Stuart you are not the only one.

This discussion has been going on for years and you are right that there is no definitive answer. As a friend said several years ago, Märklin quality is different today but it is what it is and you either keep buying them or you don't. I guess I am still trying to figure out my answer to that.

My two cents here: Very rarely do I purchase a model of the year in course; I tend to wait for a year or two and check if the buyers have gone through issues. If most of the opinions are good, then I purchase the model.

Märklin nowadays is too expensive to buy a loco that is going to give you problems as soon as you take it out the box. Even more if your closest M dealer is 150 kms away from (and they tend to be unfriendly) you as is my case.

Regards
Carlos
My blog both in Spanish and English: https://grunewiesen1965.wordpress.com
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by carlos.rivas.16752
Offline mike c  
#39 Posted : 19 April 2020 17:15:57(UTC)
mike c

Canada   

There are a number of modellers who are fortunate to live in places where there are local dealers. There are others who have no dealers within miles or kilometres of their location.

In my case, the closest dealers are at least 500km from me. That is the equivalent of having to travel from Munich to Koblenz or from Paris to Strasbourg.
On top of that, many items might only be available on special order, meaning if you did not order it, the only way it is in stock is if somebody else ordered it, but failed to pick it up. Shops do not stock each and every item. Some may have a particular focus. For me, it was often extremely hard to find SBB (Swiss) because the national distributor favoured German (DB) and Dutch (NS) models. It got better when Canadian distribution was merged with US operations (Walthers), later Marklin USA, but it came with a whole new set of issues.

If you order an item, chances were very good that there was no replacement models on hand in case of defects/issues. So any problem with a new item could not readily be resolved by a replacement from dealer stock. Dealers would either return defects or repairs to Milwaukee, who would ship them to Germany three or four times per year. The models were then repaired or replaced in Germany and would then be returned to the USA in the next regular shipment and from there to the dealer with their next scheduled order. At some point, they decided to return repairs to dealers individually on arrival, which was an improvement.
Dealers who had weekly order fills always had better service than those who only placed monthly or quarterly orders. In my case, the local shop, that I used to work at, would only place an order with Walthers when it reached a certain amount (to make it worthwhile), so part orders and repairs would sit until they had sufficient items to make it financially feasible.

I loved the quality of the classic Maerklin motors. The reliability and ease of service was second to none. I liked the introduction of digital and sound. I was never one to complain about the noise. The trend towards micro motors and cardan shafts is interesting, but the new norm of having to remove the PC board to lubricate the motor and gears concerns me. As I get older, I need glasses for close up work and my hands are not as steady as they used to be. I can still oil and service my old Ae 6/6 and the early Re 4/4IIs are still manageable, but I am hesitant to work on my latest models. I would rather have seen Maerklin go to Hag style quality with the old motors rather than relying on cheaper can motors, while the price has remained the same or gone up.

A Maschima or Maxon motor can be good, but many models come with dubious motors that I am not certain will work as long as the older ones, nor am I sure that a replacement will be available if those eventually give out. With a classic Maerklin motor, I could change the core and the motor and brushes would be good as new.

I am hesitant because when you go out and spend $1000 on a model (LSM TEE Gottardo) and your model arrives with a broken roof detail (wires) and you can't get a replacement part, you become jaded. Over time, this can break your connection or passion to the hobby.

Maerklin needs to remember two things. Models that can be easily maintained and serviced by customers is better for the company.
Getting too complicated or making models disposable is not good in the long term.
Like Drongo, I feel that I have had more than my share of disappointments. I cannot say that they have all been with Maerklin.
I try to differentiate between getting a dud and other issues. What irks me the most is cutting of corners, such as the half assed paint job on multi coloured SBB Cargo models (37360, 37446, etc). 37360 was fixed after complaints about the initial run. 37446 was not.

Here'a a thought for Maerklin. If you are going to outsource the manufacture of motors, why not buy or license them from Hag instead of using can motors?
I would be a happy camper with a Hag motor in my Maerklin SBB loks.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline mike c  
#40 Posted : 19 April 2020 17:20:46(UTC)
mike c

Canada   

NotFreeToPivot.JPG

Looking at this photo, I noted the absence of guides that would hold the mechanism in place.
The model should have a mold which would keep the coupling even in straight position, while allowing for a pivot when the coach is in curves. This should not solely be the function of the leading edge of the cutout, but also at the rear end of the mechanism, which would serve to guide the mechanism while holding it in place against the edge of the cutout.

In the photo, the absence of a guide at the rear allows the left foot of the mechanism to slip into the mounting cutout on the left side of the model. Ideally, when the model is assembled, this cutout will be closed by the housing and the mechanism will be covered by the clip on metal plate.

Here is a photo of a Roco design (SBB Apm 44770 type). You can see how the mechanism is held in place and cannot get stuck.
https://modellbahn.blog/wp-conte...m_EC_Panoramawagen_2.jpg
The Maerklin design could be better.

Regards

Mike C
Offline dickinsonj  
#41 Posted : 19 April 2020 18:03:17(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
Looking at this photo, I noted the absence of guides that would hold the mechanism in place.

Mike,

In this case the problem was the wrong coupler pocket part with "arms" which were too short. That allowed the one arm (top in this photo) to move out of the normal channel and to get stuck. Once I replaced those with the correct parts they now stay where they should, even at their greatest deflection. It was not a bad design but a case of not assembling the coaches with the parts that were designed for it.

I simply wanted to point out that running issues have a number of causes and not to overlook the fact that your brand new coaches might be at fault.
Regards,
Jim

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline skeeterbuck  
#42 Posted : 15 June 2020 12:38:25(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
My main criticism on Märklin is the availability of replacement parts. I consider myself a rather competent repairman. When you can't get the part you need it's rather frustrating. Cursing

If you purchase a Brawa or Roco item it comes with a diagram of every part with it's number used on that item no mater how small. On Märklin's diagrams half the parts are't even shown. Mad

As far as warranty issues, I buy used, that way I usually get it at a much more reasonable costs and don't have the concern of warranty repairs. Flapper

Chuck
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by skeeterbuck
Offline river6109  
#43 Posted : 16 June 2020 10:00:29(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post

Mike,

In this case the problem was the wrong coupler pocket part with "arms" which were too short. That allowed the one arm (top in this photo) to move out of the normal channel and to get stuck. Once I replaced those with the correct parts they now stay where they should, even at their greatest deflection. It was not a bad design but a case of not assembling the coaches with the parts that were designed for it.

I simply wanted to point out that running issues have a number of causes and not to overlook the fact that your brand new coaches might be at fault.

It could have repercussions, a.) being to short (obvious), b.) being longer and no longer can the mechanism move far enough to go through sharper curves.
In my opinion its a stuff up right from the beginning, trying to correct a wrong item to solve 1 problem and than creating another problem which hasn't been thought of or tested.

John

Offline dickinsonj  
#44 Posted : 17 June 2020 02:17:42(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post

It could have repercussions, a.) being to short (obvious), b.) being longer and no longer can the mechanism move far enough to go through sharper curves.
In my opinion its a stuff up right from the beginning, trying to correct a wrong item to solve 1 problem and than creating another problem which hasn't been thought of or tested.

John

John,

If you are referring to my case, it was just that the incorrect parts had been installed at the factory. A forum friend told me what the right part numbers were and installing them totally fixed the problem. So there was no theory or testing requited, just putting them back to how they were designed to be.

That Rheingold coach set is my favorite Märklin rake of coaches these days and IMO all's well that ends well. I'm just glad that the fix was as easy as swapping out a few parts. But I was surprised that an expensive set of coaches would get shipped out when they had no chance of ever working correctly. Live and learn!
Regards,
Jim

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline thing fish  
#45 Posted : 20 June 2020 04:06:10(UTC)
thing fish

Turkey   
Originally Posted by: skeeterbuck Go to Quoted Post
On Märklin's diagrams half the parts are't even shown. Mad

Never witnessed this. Maybe I'm getting too old but in our days they used to include even the tiniest parts ... and you could order them too Cool

On the other hand; in case of HAG, you don't even get the diagrams, just have to dig in the internet or ask on the forums. We sure have one hell of a hobby ... but I don't complain as it keeps me busy BigGrin

Cem.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by thing fish
Offline mike c  
#46 Posted : 21 June 2020 16:51:04(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I can attest to some more recent models now showing parts without listing the part number. Ostensibly it means that the part is not officially available for sale, but a stock might remain at Maerklin for warranty and repair issues. The metal contact strip between the pantographs on the interior of the Re 4/4II is such an example.
The part number can be found by checking older lists for the 3434 and similar models, but is missing in most of the models from the past few years.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c