Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline QQQ1970  
#1 Posted : 12 April 2020 21:19:30(UTC)
QQQ1970

Canada   
Hi all, when I try double heading, the two motors are not in sync and either one is pushing or pulling the other. Any advice you can offer how to ensure smooth running without causing damage to the motors?
Offline analogmike  
#2 Posted : 12 April 2020 23:41:58(UTC)
analogmike

United States   
Are you running two of the same loks or different ones? Whenever I double head I only use identical loks.

Mikey
I love the smell of smoke fluid in the morning .
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by analogmike
Offline QQQ1970  
#3 Posted : 12 April 2020 23:59:05(UTC)
QQQ1970

Canada   
I ran different which probably makes it more challenging. But even with identical locos do you need to tweak or fone tune to make it work?
Offline TEEWolf  
#4 Posted : 13 April 2020 00:59:28(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: QQQ1970 Go to Quoted Post
Hi all, when I try double heading, the two motors are not in sync and either one is pushing or pulling the other. Any advice you can offer how to ensure smooth running without causing damage to the motors?

A CS 3 has an own menu point setting up a double or multiple traction for all kind of locos. Then the CS is managing the syncronization of the locos.
Offline QQQ1970  
#5 Posted : 13 April 2020 01:07:01(UTC)
QQQ1970

Canada   
I know CS3 can set up MU, but I don't think it manages the synchronization unless I miss something here. Could you elaborate and guide me how to sync the locos?
Offline TEEWolf  
#6 Posted : 13 April 2020 01:14:02(UTC)
TEEWolf

I know CS3 can set up MU, but I don't think it manages the synchronization unless I miss something here. Could you elaborate and guide me how to sync the locos?

https://www.maerklin.de/...NUAL_CS3_DE-EN_17-02.pdf

CS 3 manual page 14
"Putting Locomotives into a Multiple Unit (m.u.) Combination"
Offline QQQ1970  
#7 Posted : 13 April 2020 01:41:06(UTC)
QQQ1970

Canada   
That sets up MU, but it doesn't automatically sync the motor characteristics. My question was if both motors have different acceleration or deceleration delays, different max speed, etc. then they will have different pulling force. Even when I set the same values for both motors, it may still not work.
Offline dickinsonj  
#8 Posted : 13 April 2020 01:54:20(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
When you set up an MUC the CS simply sends the same commands to the addresses of both locos. For that to work well you need to have locos that are identical electronically and mechanically or find a way to tune them yourself to make them respond exactly the same way to commands.

I imagine that with enough tuning you might get two dissimilar locos to behave the same way but I would think that it would be very difficult. I have a double set of crocodiles that are mechanically identical and I often run them in a multi unit consist. That works well although occasionally one loco starts a bit before the other, but only when operating sounds are on and usually when starting for the first time.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#9 Posted : 13 April 2020 04:05:26(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
That sets up MU, but it doesn't automatically sync the motor characteristics. My question was if both motors have different acceleration or deceleration delays, different max speed, etc. then they will have different pulling force. Even when I set the same values for both motors, it may still not work.

No, you have to manually tune the two locos yourself. Depending on the decoders in them this could be difficult. I wouldn't want to be trying to match an mLD/3 or mSD/3 decoder to an fx decoder for example.
Offline kimballthurlow  
#10 Posted : 13 April 2020 04:38:03(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   

I simply have a lot of fun double heading locomotives, by using one knob on the CS for loco 1, and the other knob for loco 2.
That replicates exactly how it was done in the days of steam.
It requires a bit of juggling.
Like I say, it's fun.

Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline river6109  
#11 Posted : 13 April 2020 05:13:35(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Not being familiar with the latest Märklin decoders or the CS, I also intend to run trains as double headers and I've done this successfully but as it turns out there is a lot of programming to be done., yes one can set all the CV's to same value but this doesn't automatically make the locos run the same speed, I still have to jiggle with the speed of 1 loco to get it right.
I usually de-activate the acceleration so the 2 locos don't battle it out for, who is pulling or pushing but they still have to run at the same speed
My other problem however is running 2 locos electrically together (electric couplings) is when they enter a braking section and you find 1 slider or pantograph is within the braking section and the other outside of the braking section causing a short., the reason behind it was to get a greater electrical contact for both locos so any dead spot on the track wouldn't effect either loco, the only other way is using electrical couplings but 1 loco hasn't got an electrical contact with the track but rather with the other loco, in the end it could be messy when you uncouple the loco with the electrical coupling and couple it to a freight car with metal coupling and this happened to me.

here is a video from a double headed loco but even more risky 1 puller and 1 pusher with a very long freight train

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline blid  
#12 Posted : 13 April 2020 11:44:17(UTC)
blid

Sweden   
I have been cheating when I run MUs. I use Train Controller and calibrated engines. TC sends commands for the desired speed. Even so the engines have to be checked if they will go well together. I just place them a few inches apart and start. If they keep the distance fairly well (forwards and backwards) I use them for a MU.
OneGauge Marklin and MTH, ESU ECoS 2.1 on LGB tracks. MTH 3-rail 0-gauge, DCS on GarGraves tracks. Z: Rokuhan tracks, analog or DCC+TC Gold.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by blid
Offline rbw993  
#13 Posted : 13 April 2020 16:22:16(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
I tune my engines that I can run MU's such as Re 10/10's like those on the SBB. I set up a test track to calibrate the delay parameters, top speed and then change the motor speed curve to linear. It is also possible to do this with the old 6090 decoders but it is more fiddly. Top speed is calibrated by timing the how long it takes for the loco to complete one circuit of the test track. As long as you can set the top speed and speed curve to match the locs will run well together in my experience.

Regards,
Roger
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by rbw993
Offline TEEWolf  
#14 Posted : 13 April 2020 22:20:04(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: blid Go to Quoted Post
I have been cheating when I run MUs. I use Train Controller and calibrated engines. TC sends commands for the desired speed. Even so the engines have to be checked if they will go well together. I just place them a few inches apart and start. If they keep the distance fairly well (forwards and backwards) I use them for a MU.

Well understanding this strange English of the starting question correctly, this shall be done inside the locos decoders. But they don't do it. If a CS 3 will do it I have not tested yet. But your Train Controller seems to do it. But this is done outside of the loco decoders in your computer while you run your layout with the Train Controller software. Well I know that every motor has a speeding line inside. After installing a new decoder you have to calibrate motor and decoder. It seems to me, this is done continously with the software Train Controller by the computer while you are doing a double traction.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#15 Posted : 14 April 2020 01:41:25(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post
It seems to me, this is done continously with the software Train Controller by the computer while you are doing a double traction.

Listen to me very carefully, I shall say this only once......(as was said by a famous Frenchwoman)

No, No, No, No, No, No, No! Mamma Mia....! (to quote another famous person)

This implies that there is a continual feedback from the loco decoder to the controller / software on motor performance. I know the msD3 decoders perform an automatic calibration to the motor being used when first run, but that is internal to the decoder, it isn't feed back to the controller. I don't know of any such system that does that!

As others have said, you have to calibrate each loco to match each other yourself. I get two parallel tracks, put both locos on, set the same speed for each and let them go. If one is faster than the other then it gets adjusted until you have a match. You will never get them perfect, there will be instances during coming up to speed that one loco will push/pull the other. Some of that can be adjusted with speed curves and acceleration delay but they are never perfect. It's the same whether the locos are H0 or Gauge 1.

So, in summary there is NO automatic adjustments by controllers to match two locos, the controllers have no way to assess the performance of each loco...
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline kiwiAlan  
#16 Posted : 14 April 2020 02:24:12(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post
It seems to me, this is done continously with the software Train Controller by the computer while you are doing a double traction.

Listen to me very carefully, I shall say this only once......(as was said by a famous Frenchwoman)

No, No, No, No, No, No, No! Mamma Mia....! (to quote another famous person)

This implies that there is a continual feedback from the loco decoder to the controller / software on motor performance. I know the msD3 decoders perform an automatic calibration to the motor being used when first run, but that is internal to the decoder, it isn't feed back to the controller. I don't know of any such system that does that!

As others have said, you have to calibrate each loco to match each other yourself. I get two parallel tracks, put both locos on, set the same speed for each and let them go. If one is faster than the other then it gets adjusted until you have a match. You will never get them perfect, there will be instances during coming up to speed that one loco will push/pull the other. Some of that can be adjusted with speed curves and acceleration delay but they are never perfect. It's the same whether the locos are H0 or Gauge 1.

So, in summary there is NO automatic adjustments by controllers to match two locos, the controllers have no way to assess the performance of each loco...

The system described by blid sounds very similar to what is done with RR&Co where each loco on the layout is 'calibrated' for speed at each speed step and stopping distance. This is to allow consistent stopping at signals and stations from a detection point for all trains, whatever speed they are running. Hence the control software knows that for loco A it has to be at speed step 49 to be running at a nominal 50kph, while for loco B it needs speed step 63 for the same speed. Now if you MU these two locos in the control software it will send the appropriate speed command to each loco to maintain the requested speed. There may be other problems caused if the locos have very different momentum settings though.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#17 Posted : 14 April 2020 03:29:46(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
That sounds like the software is relying on sensors within the track and it measuring the time a loco takes to travel between two sensor points, which I guess could be used to achieve the desired outcome. But I don't know of any system that works on direct speed control data from a loco decoder to a controller, and calibration adjustments made on the fly from that.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline kiwiAlan  
#18 Posted : 14 April 2020 13:19:18(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
That sounds like the software is relying on sensors within the track and it measuring the time a loco takes to travel between two sensor points, which I guess could be used to achieve the desired outcome. But I don't know of any system that works on direct speed control data from a loco decoder to a controller, and calibration adjustments made on the fly from that.

I haven't been involved in doing a calibration run myself, but have seen someone do one. The results of the calibration runs for each loco are stored in the software in the PC, and that is then used to make all locos appear to be the same.

From here on I'll have to defer to anyone who has gone through the process and can describe it better than i can.
Offline blid  
#19 Posted : 14 April 2020 13:21:02(UTC)
blid

Sweden   
kiwiAlan, the Train Controller I was referring to is RR&Co Train Controller.
I my case the software uses three adjacent occupancy feedbacks to perform the calibration. The software runs the engine back and forth at different speeds. It is not done on the fly.
I just wanted say that you, in most cases, can use a software instead of fiddling with Cvs.
OneGauge Marklin and MTH, ESU ECoS 2.1 on LGB tracks. MTH 3-rail 0-gauge, DCS on GarGraves tracks. Z: Rokuhan tracks, analog or DCC+TC Gold.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by blid
Offline DaleSchultz  
#20 Posted : 14 April 2020 14:01:29(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
The solution is in the software controlling the layout.

I have been doing this since 1989 via software.

You calibrate the locos by running the loco up and down past sensors which are a known distance apart.
The software than knows what physical speed is achieved by each decoder speed step for both forwards and reverse.

One can then put as many locos as you like into one train and you run the train as whatever speed is desired. The software sends out the appropriate speed step for each loco as the train accelerates or decelerates.

Better decoders with more speed steps allow for better calibration.

Speeds also vary with the temperature of the locos. As they warm up they go faster. So it is best to do the calibration once they have warmed up a bit.

Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Online JohnjeanB  
#21 Posted : 14 April 2020 14:36:30(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi

Definitely, the CS3 or CS2 is not synchronizing the locos in a double or triple header.
Yes it is easier with very similar locos but a good multiple header is possible with recent MFX decoders (with adjustable speed curve, acceleration & braking delay) no matter the loco type (gear ratio, etc).
To adjust you need to
- set both decoders with the same curve type (e.g.: standard exponential)
- set both locos on a long stretch of line and separated by 20 cm and test different speeds. If one loco is faster reduce its maximum speed parameter
- set both acceleration delay to same value and check as previously and adjust the fastest starting one
- repeat the process for breaking delay.
Now you may couple both locos and have fantastic results
Cheers
Jean
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline QQQ1970  
#22 Posted : 18 April 2020 13:06:00(UTC)
QQQ1970

Canada   
Thanks. Whether software or CS3 there is no shortcut.
Online JohnjeanB  
#23 Posted : 18 April 2020 13:11:38(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Thanks. Whether software or CS3 there is no shortcut.

Hi Not sure what you mean
Jean
Offline QQQ1970  
#24 Posted : 18 April 2020 15:31:04(UTC)
QQQ1970

Canada   
No shortcut in calibrating the locos for double heading.
Offline Johnvr  
#25 Posted : 18 April 2020 16:11:22(UTC)
Johnvr

South Africa   
No shortcut in calibrating the locos for double heading.

Hi,

Roger hit the nail on the head - see his post #13 above.
I'll share my tips with you too.

Firstly, I am using CS2, and all locos in the videos below have 60760 decoders.
Yes, it doesn't have to be smart expensive decoders, it can work with the 60760 kit as well.
I am using my good old trusty 6021 Controller to set the CV values of the 60760 decoders because the CS2 for some reason doesn't set them properly.

Here are two videos of my E94 and BR24 locos running together.

Marklin Double Head E94

Marklin Double Head BR24

Step 1 :
I always run all of my locos at speed setting 60 on the speed dial on the CS2 speed controller.
And the max on the dial on the CS2 speed controller is 120. (you can set this on the CS2 settings screen, and note that this does not adjust the decoder)
So from the Train Driver perspective, the locos are all running at 60kph which is half of their speed setting of 120kph.

Furthermore, I have created a Memory Event for locos to all 'Go' on the layout at their speed setting of 60,
and also another Memory Event for all locos to 'Stop' on the layout, both of these by means of a single Memory Event click.
So its easy to reset the position every time when you are programming your locos just by clicking a Memory Event click.
And, importantly, the locos always run at the same speed setting which is set in the Memory Event button.

Step 2
Put the 2 locos which you want to double head separately on the track, one some distance in front of the other.
Click the Memory Event to run them at the standard speed of 60.
Watch the two locos go around the track, and watch which loco goes faster, and which one goes slower.

Step 3
For the loco which you want to adjust the speed, go to your programming track and change the Maximum Speed CV value speed setting.
For most decoders, this is CV05.
Simply put, if you are running at 60 and your Maximum Speed is 120, then you are running at half-speed.
If you are running at 60 and your Maximum Speed is set to 90, then you are running at 2/3rd speed.
So, adjust the CV05 in the one loco little bit by little bit, and repeat the exercise, until you get the 2 locos to run at exactly the same speed on the layout.

Step 4
Now similarly adjust the Accelerating and Braking Delays CV03 on the decoder using your programming track until the acceleration and braking of the two locos looks similar.

Step 5
Put the locos together on the track, click the Memory Event button, and watch them gloriously ride together.

Regards
John

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Johnvr
Offline Johnvr  
#26 Posted : 19 April 2020 19:05:57(UTC)
Johnvr

South Africa   
Hi all,

Today I decided to run two Crocs together.

Marklin Doube Head Crocs

This was not an easy task, because they have different motors.
The Brown Croc has a C-Sine Drive, the Green Croc has msd3 decoder.
But they ran pretty well anyway.
It is definitely worth the effort to run doube headers !

RegardsBigGrin
John
Offline TEEWolf  
#27 Posted : 19 April 2020 23:10:25(UTC)
TEEWolf

Found a short explainer video from Maerklin for a double traction. Is in German but with subtitles.