Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline lokbraz  
#1 Posted : 11 November 2008 10:57:44(UTC)
lokbraz

Hello all,

I would like to double head a consist of SBB IC cars (including those gorgeous panorama cars) with a couple of class 460s. One of them is the 39601 powered with wall climbing capable SINUS first generation motor. The second one is the 346xx, equiped with a Delta decoder and 3 pole DCM. So it has to be retrofitted to have running characteristics close to the sinus powered lok.

Which one of conversions kits, 60901 or 60760, would allow me a easier regulation of maximum speed and inertia close to the sinus lok?

Thanks for any help here,

Ed
My ancestors came from the land of rising sun. I was born in South America. Spent time in Europe. Now I live in California.
So, I am a builder of south american brass models. I read about the railroads on the Sierras. But I play with Marklin and have best time with my Marklin peers. wink
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#2 Posted : 11 November 2008 12:40:20(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I've used a 60760 in my 3300 Crocodile, and was able to get a reasonable speed match to my 39560 Crocodile, which has the Generation 1 C-Sine motor. Obviously if you are using a decoder with more speed steps, (mfx Loksound with 128 speed steps, for example) then you can get a better match, but I think you should be able to do reasonably well with both the decoder sets you mention.
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 11 November 2008 13:31:13(UTC)
H0

Ed,
The c-sine loco has a progressive speed curve while both 60901 and 60760 will give you a linear speed curve for your other loco.
You'll be able to nearly match the maximum speed, but at lower speeds there will be a mismatch.

Other decoders allow you to set the speed curve and allow you to disable load regulation with your second loco. That's what I would try if I was in your place.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#4 Posted : 11 November 2008 13:36:47(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Yes there is a slight speed mismatch at lower speeds, but it is not too bad at all.
Offline Caplin  
#5 Posted : 11 November 2008 15:29:01(UTC)
Caplin

Interesting topic.

In case of slightly mismatch what would be the best sequence of the two locos
- the faster one pulling or pushing the slower one?
- Or does it not matter?
Regards,
Benny - Outsider and MFDWPL

UserPostedImage
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 11 November 2008 15:48:09(UTC)
H0

I've heard that the faster one should be the first loco pulling the slower one.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline lokbraz  
#7 Posted : 11 November 2008 20:26:27(UTC)
lokbraz

Hello,

Thanks for all your opinions. The sinus motor should start to run earlier in lower speed: more poles (9,12?), it is brushless so it doesn't has brush-commutator drag and more efficient.

Perhaps, the main reason that I posted this topic is because both decoders have different ways to adjust their parameters. I never installed a 60760 decoder, but it looks similar to MFX/lokpilot. So it should have parameters like, V start, V med, V max and inertia/brake delay, that can be programed, right? However the decoder in the 60901 kit has the old and user friendly 2 pot trimmers for V max and inertia/brake delay.

So, my question is: Would make it easier to try to match the lok with 60901? Why? Because the adjustments can be done with the two loks on the track at same time, as opposed to the lok with 60760 that needs to be programmed solo on the track.(?)

Last thing: Can someone direct me to a link of the schematics of how to resolder the light distribution pcb for digital that is usually located in the center of SBB electric loks?

Thanks a bunch,

Ed
My ancestors came from the land of rising sun. I was born in South America. Spent time in Europe. Now I live in California.
So, I am a builder of south american brass models. I read about the railroads on the Sierras. But I play with Marklin and have best time with my Marklin peers. wink
Offline Brakepad  
#8 Posted : 11 November 2008 21:44:51(UTC)
Brakepad

France, Metropolitan   
Hi Ed,

Vmax & accel+brake delay can be set on 60760 decoder (and it's not possible to set separately accel and brake delay, they go both "packed"), but it's not possible to set Vstart & Vmed. Actually, 60760 decoder is a very basic decoder, has load compensation but no other functions or special gadgets.

As you suggest, I think it would be easier to adjust the good old 6090x, or (cheaper), get a 60760 kit and use the motor parts but replace the decoder and use a LoPi or UHL one. I think that 6090x decoder has no load compensation, and maybe for your purposes this would be better as it's almomst impossible to perfectly match the speed for both locos.

Best regards.

check out http://maerklin-back-on-track.blogspot.com if you like to see how old Märklin locos are brought back into life! (in spanish by the moment)
Offline H0  
#9 Posted : 12 November 2008 00:48:21(UTC)
H0

Both 6090 and 6090x have load regulation.
Same way to make adjustments but different speed curves (driver for C Sine motor makes the difference).
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline mvd71  
#10 Posted : 12 November 2008 08:42:26(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Hi ed,

I would use a 6090* decoder rather than the 60760, for the simple reason that the 6090* decoder has 27 speed steps, and as such it will be easier to match speeds(60760 has only 14).

And you will find out very quickly which loco tends to pull slightly faster, and put this one in front.

Cheers......

Mike.
Offline Brakepad  
#11 Posted : 12 November 2008 11:17:26(UTC)
Brakepad

France, Metropolitan   
Hi,

For double heading purposes, I wonder if it would be convenient to use a decoder without load compensation (or with switchable load compensation), as if speeds do not match perfectly, load compensation in the "slower" loco will try to "brake" while the "faster" will tend to "accelerate", at the end having an overload on the "faster" one and maybe some slip in traction axles.

I believe that avoiding (or disabling) load compensation (at least in one of the locos) would make double heading locos work better. What do you think?
check out http://maerklin-back-on-track.blogspot.com if you like to see how old Märklin locos are brought back into life! (in spanish by the moment)
Offline Tivvy  
#12 Posted : 12 November 2008 15:35:49(UTC)
Tivvy

I agree with that logic Brakepad. That has always been my thought when it came to double heading. As yet I dont have a layout big enough for double-headed trains though so I havent had to test it.

Caillin
Ep IV / V Marklin Layout
6 track dead end station, twin track loop, 4 track through station.
Under construction.
Offline H0  
#13 Posted : 12 November 2008 18:31:30(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Brakepad
<br />I believe that avoiding (or disabling) load compensation (at least in one of the locos) would make double heading locos work better. What do you think?

That was and is my recommendation.
This means neither 60901 nor 60760 but a different decoder with adjustable speed curve and optional load regulation should be used (if you care for your traction tyres and loco motors).

I'd try locos with 6090, 6090x or 60760 only if both locos have the same decoder, motor, and gear (I wouldn't mix C Sine with HLA).
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline lokbraz  
#14 Posted : 13 November 2008 08:12:07(UTC)
lokbraz

Hello,

Thanks for all suggestions. What I will do it is install a NMRA plug and test these decoders plus a Lokpilot 3.

And I will go back to ya in a couple of weeks with results.

Ed
Offline mvd71  
#15 Posted : 13 November 2008 10:46:21(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
I've mixed Sine motors, 6090*, and 60760, 6080, and delta decoders.

None have ever been a problem, and the load compensation has not bee any problem either.
The only thing I could say, is that the 6080 and delta's are sometimes a little more difficult to get a nice speed match on.

Cheers....

Mike.
Offline lokbraz  
#16 Posted : 20 November 2008 11:41:19(UTC)
lokbraz

Hello all,

This is the summary of my testing of 3 decoders: MÄ 60760, MÄ 60901 and Lokpilot 3.

The object was to find out the best decoder to replace MÄ 43636 3 pole rotor/ Delta to match my SBB Re 460 39 with big SINUS motor.

The modified received a 5 pole rotor and permanent magnet.

I installed a NMRA 8 plug for this comparison.

First, the 60760 decoder can be adjusted nicely for braking/acceleration delay to match the parameters of SINUS lok, BUT like Mike pointed out, has only 14 speed steps. The two locomotives could operate together, but since the speed transitions are different there is a little of "tug of war" effect specially when on quick change of speed thru control unit. Adjusting the 60760 parameters was a little tricky Both locomotives have to be adjusted alone and separated on the track.

Next: 60901. It actually took me only 2 minutes to adjust both locomotives. My big surprise was to note that the locomotive with DCM started to roll first than the Sinus motor. It puzzles me, because the Sinus motor has 9 poles versus 5 from DCM and no brush drag. In order to adjust the locomotives I removed both bodies and placed on the same 9 ft straight track. The locomotives were kept 5 inches apart. The first parameter that I immediately notice needs to match is the brake/acceleration delay. That was done very quickly. The adjustment of speed by pot trimmers easy, too. I noticed that the lok with DCM run faster than the one with Sinus.

I didn't tested the combination 5 pole DCM/lokpilot because the parameter adjustment procedures would be the same as 60760. It would take more time than 60901.

So my opinion: 60901 is the way to go.

Since I was in the installing/swapping decoder bizz, I also converted a non working Borsig Mallet BR53 (MÄ 3602) with 3 pole coil magnet and 6080 decoder to 5 pole DCM and loksound 2.5. The installation went smooth, but light leads needed to be separated from chassis/ ground. I am planing to double head the 3602 with another mallet photogrey with condenser tender MÄ 37022. They both have very different sounds with the later close to the sound of turbine.

Finally to end my day, last Sunday, I converted the class Sa tank lok from MÄ 28703 SJ historic wooden car set from delta to DCM and 60760.

That was a productive day. biggrin

Ed
Offline Seetal  
#17 Posted : 22 November 2008 03:28:21(UTC)
Seetal

HI Ed,

Very nice empiracle report. I run an Re460 pair, but one is a dummy which when converted will have the same motor and decoder as its sister.

I did have a question about your test track. Did it have any inclines or declines? The load regulation will kick in the most if you have inclines/declines. You may experience different behaviour in that type of scenario.

John
Offline lokbraz  
#18 Posted : 22 November 2008 06:05:02(UTC)
lokbraz

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Seetal
<br />HI Ed,

Very nice empiracle report. I run an Re460 pair, but one is a dummy which when converted will have the same motor and decoder as its sister.

I did have a question about your test track. Did it have any inclines or declines? The load regulation will kick in the most if you have inclines/declines. You may experience different behaviour in that type of scenario.

John

Hello John,

I tested them on a flat track.

While testing them and not having paired yet for some speed, I noticed that the load compensation was stronger on the lok with DCM/60901. This is shown by a change of pitching in the motor. In any event, I don't think that would case any problems.

Ed