Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Janne75  
#1 Posted : 11 April 2020 09:52:32(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Hi all,

As I like to run also long trains like 10-15 passenger coaches or sometimes 40+ cars freight trains I’m afraid of doing this with almost any newer design steam locomotives. These have so prototypically correct size side rods etc. that if overloaded by pulling heavy long trains especially on inclined track and traction of the driving wheels ends for a while in the worst situation those side rods can break.

For this reason I use a bit older design steam locomotives for these tasks. For example when running very long DRG ”Schürzenwagen” train instead of using 39011 DRG BR 01 128 I use older strong enough design 37951 DRG BR 03 156. It doesn’t have sounds, no controllable smoke unit, has gear noise but is capable of pulling heavy trains. I don’t have other DRG express passenger steam locomotives than these except 3613 DRG BR 18.1 (18 106). It is like in between those newer and older models design vs. strenght.

But also one important thing when pulling longer heavy trains is that it’s best to have gears between all driving axles and not transfer all those forces with side rods. This kind of design is the safest for havng great results. Best pulling Märklin H0 scale steam loco ever 3047 DB BR 44 is a good example.

For example I have two about the same looking steam freight locomotive models Märklin 37054 DRG BR 59 004 ”Bellingrodt” and 37059 K.W.St.E. BR ”K”. 37059 gear train design is more noisy, but still quite silent. But it’s much better for heavy trains as there is gears between EVERY driving axle. This is not true with 37054 DRG BR 59 ”Bellingroth”. But 37054 is even more silently running and has full sounds.

I would like to ask you other members who like to run also long and heavy trains have you similar problems with newer design steam locomotives? Many newer design diesel or electric locomotives with central mounted motor and cardan shafts does not have any problems pulling heavy trains. They also weight enough as they have metal loco body. Only steam locomotives have these problems because of very fine details and narrow side rods + the fact that side rods are transfering the power to other driving wheels/axles and not gears.

Cheers,
Janne
Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by Janne75
Offline jvuye  
#2 Posted : 11 April 2020 12:27:53(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: Janne75 Go to Quoted Post
Hi all,

As I like to run also long trains like 10-15 passenger coaches or sometimes 40+ cars freight trains I’m afraid of doing this with almost any newer design steam locomotives. These have so prototypically correct size side rods etc. that if overloaded by pulling heavy long trains especially on inclined track and traction of the driving wheels ends for a while in the worst situation those side rods can break.
I would like to ask you other members who like to run also long and heavy trains have you similar problems with newer design steam locomotives? Many newer design diesel or electric locomotives with central mounted motor and cardan shafts does not have any problems pulling heavy trains. They also weight enough as they have metal loco body. Only steam locomotives have these problems because of very fine details and narrow side rods + the fact that side rods are transfering the power to other driving wheels/axles and not gears.

Cheers,
Janne

Hello Janne and all!
Ah yes!
The ever lasting question!
I was concerned with that myself for a very long time, as I too love to have long and sometimes very "heavy" trainsWink
But no longer!

All it takes is a little bit of physics!
The maximum available traction effort "T" on any given axle of a locomotive is the product of the weight " W" carried by that axle multiplied by the adherence coefficient "K" of the two surfaces in contact.

T = W x K

The important variable here is K. The higher it is, the more tractive effort can be produced

Metal wheel (clean) on metal track , K is around 0.1 to 0.15

Wheel with (clean) traction tyres on metal track , K is around 0.8 to 0.95

So for example if a bare metal axle carries 100 grams , it can contribute around 10 grams of tractive effort, but the same axle with traction tires will produce 8 to 9.5 times more !

Simply said one axle carrying a load "W" with tyres produces the same tractive effort as up to 8 or 9 "metal to metal" axles!ThumpUp

The other variable is the weight carried by each individual driver axle of a steam loco.

At close inspection you will be able to see that most "driver" axles are just "touching" the track, and carry mostly only their own "weight"

You can check that yourself: place one such lok on the track and try to gently lift the various axles (e.g. with a very small screwdriver)

Some axles will lift the loco (weight carriers, at least the one with traction tires) others (usually placed in the middle) will let themselves be lifted without lifting the whole loco. They are there either pushed down by gravity or a **gentle** spring (just to make sure they make good electrical contact! Wink )

Same for pony wheels/bogies, just applied by their own weight or a gentle spring action

So what does this tell us?

1° The whole weight (or at least a vast majority...) of the loco is usually carried by two driver axles, and also with a predominance on the axle with the tires
2° The non-weight carrying axles do not contribute any significant traction effort (if any...!)
3° Since they do not contribute any significant effort , the load on the coupling rods is correspondingly very small too...and as long as there is a good alignment (90 or 120 deg) of the drivers cranks on each side, the effort on the rods is "symbolic"

And the absence of (connecting) gears is, in this case, a good idea!
No gears means no noise and "see-through" chassis and lower production cost .
All it takes is to produce the driver axles with cranks aligned properly...Wink

Now , if you have such a loco that really underperforms, there might be problem(s) in the model itself that reduce(s) the weight carried by the actual/predominant "traction" axle.

I usually look a the (close) coupling mechanism with the tender that may bend and could lift the traction axle, or the tyres may be worn, or the "floating" axles (the one you normally could lift slightly with a screwdriver) are "stuck" and carry more weight than their own.

Or the loco is too light...but that's also happening with the real ones! Laugh

Hope this helps

Happy Easter

Jacques
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 16 users liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline RayF  
#3 Posted : 11 April 2020 12:45:06(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Jacques, that is a very good analysis of the way traction works in a steam loco. Thanks for that!

Janne, do you actually have experience of drive rods or crank pins breaking on your locos, or are you only worried that it may happen?

I love seeing the much more realistic chassis on the newer locos. I agree with the way Marklin have moved towards this finer modelling. The size of my layout doesn't allow long trains anyway, so for me the reduced traction, if this is so, is irrelevant.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline TrainIride  
#4 Posted : 11 April 2020 15:28:52(UTC)
TrainIride

France   
We should measure the weight of these new models and compare with the weight of the older ones.
Also, in our 60's locos, the reversing unit which was in the loco added weight, the gears added weight,
and our famous 3047 DB BR 44 with the magnificent articulated chassis, had four traction tyres, if I remember...

And what about the new motors torque ?

Best Regards
Joël
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by TrainIride
Offline Janne75  
#5 Posted : 11 April 2020 15:42:48(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Hi Jacques, all,

Very well explained and I really like this technical thinking. ThumpUp

I had not thought it that way. Now I have to inspect 39011 DRG BR 01 to find out what is the reason for traction problems. I know it has good traction tires.

One other thing comes to my mind when thinking about those traction tires. As these larger steam locomotives have larger diameter driving wheels (traction tire 7152) that traction tire touches rails on larger area than say smaller driving wheels (traction tire 7154). At first it may not be so big difference but actually it is. There is so big difference in the diameter of the wheels. That contact area is much larger with 7152 than 7154 so the contact pressure is larger with that smaller 7154. Smaller area of the traction tire carries more weight. But it is beneficial to have more of these smaller high pressure contact points like four 7154 traction tires in some diesels like 39821 DB V200.1 and like that.

Ray, no fortunately I don’t have any experience of crank pins or drive rods breaking. It was just so scary looking when that 39011 lost traction in an incline for a short time and got back traction. I ended to pull that heavy passenger train with it after that and switched to 37951 DRG BR 03 without any traction problems. I would like to use 39011 instead as it has controllable smoke unit, full sounds, silent running very strong SDS motor etc. I have even added in the cab a locomotive driver and locomotive heater figures.

Joël, yes this is true. I can say that 39011 locomotive itself is not very heavy, but tender is heavy as it is metal. Before like in 37951 loco was heavier but tender body was plastic. Those older 800-series steam locomotives like G 800 are very heavy around 1 kilogram weight, but those oldest models don’t have any traction tires at all. I think it was the reason for heavy locos back then to get some traction without traction tires.

Happy Easter! Smile

Cheers,
Janne
Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Janne75
Offline Janne75  
#6 Posted : 11 April 2020 16:19:13(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Hi again,

After a quick check I found these differences between 39011 DRG BR 01 and 37951 DRG BR 03 technic related to traction things:

39011 has four traction tires. In front and rear drive wheels. Middle drive wheels are without traction tires and like Jacques described earlier it is just like that just carrying it’s own weight and moving freely upwards. Heavy metal tender but not as heavy locomotive itself. Rear axle/bogie has quite strong ”lift” as there is strong spring for it. But not so strong that it would lift loco driving wheels up of course.

37951 has only two traction tires in the rear driving axle but better traction. None of it’s driving axles are moving freely upwards. So all of it’s six driving wheels are touching tracks and supporting locomotive weight evenly. Not as heavy tender with plastic tender body. Locomotive itself without tender is slightly heavier than 39011. This one has less ”springy” rear axle/bogie.

Now I will do something else. I will build a 1 Gauge layout in our living room and run my two analog Crocodiles 5757 and 5758. I will do a very curvy track so I can enjoy Crocodiles three part body movements. Love

Cheers,
Janne

Edited by user 11 April 2020 21:50:05(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Janne75
Offline kimballthurlow  
#7 Posted : 12 April 2020 04:42:30(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: jvuye Go to Quoted Post
The other variable is the weight carried by each individual driver axle of a steam loco.

At close inspection you will be able to see that most "driver" axles are just "touching" the track, and carry mostly only their own "weight"

You can check that yourself: place one such lok on the track and try to gently lift the various axles (e.g. with a very small screwdriver)

Some axles will lift the loco (weight carriers, at least the one with traction tires) others (usually placed in the middle) will let themselves be lifted without lifting the whole loco. They are there either pushed down by gravity or a **gentle** spring (just to make sure they make good electrical contact! Wink )

Same for pony wheels/bogies, just applied by their own weight or a gentle spring action

So what does this tell us?

1° The whole weight (or at least a vast majority...) of the loco is usually carried by two driver axles, and also with a predominance on the axle with the tires
2° The non-weight carrying axles do not contribute any significant traction effort (if any...!)
3° Since they do not contribute any significant effort , the load on the coupling rods is correspondingly very small too...and as long as there is a good alignment (90 or 120 deg) of the drivers cranks on each side, the effort on the rods is "symbolic"

Hope this helps

Happy Easter

Jacques

Hi Jacques,
Thank you very much for that excellent explanation.

I tried that experiment.
I lifted each axle on the two engines I recently used for a haulage test on a 1.5kg train of TRIX EXPRESS die-cast rolling stock.
Each engine has traction tires on the rear axle.

First the 4 axle 37516 shows that only the front and rear axles carry the weight.
This engine and tender weighs 390 grams.

Secondly the 3 axle 37115 shows that all three axles carry the weight.
The engine and tender weighs 590 grams.

Given that the two tenders make an equitable balance, the second engine is significntly heavier.
The second engine pulled the 1.5kg train much better, with no slipping even through R1 curves.
The first engine slipped badly when the train was being pulled around the curves.
One might think the smaller drive wheels on the first engine would help, but not so.

I have no doubt that my BR50 with all wheels geared would have no problem on this train.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline jvuye  
#8 Posted : 12 April 2020 15:10:35(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post

I have no doubt that my BR50 with all wheels geared would have no problem on this train.

regards
Kimball

Hi Kimball

No doubt...but it's a totally different beast!
Actually, the articulated BR 50 (and BR 85 ,etc.) is made out of *two* separate (articulated) chassis and are rather like a two bogies design found in electric and diesel locos!
It would be impossible to have driven the 5 axles without the gears!
The coupling rods on the BR 50 (3084,etc..) are there "just for show" and serve no transmission purposes at all!Wink
Is has two set of traction tires, one on each rear axle of the subchassis.

The very clever design from Märklin here (dating back to the G 800!! ) is that there is a little vertical play in the articulation.
When the engine starts pulling forward , like a car, the front axles tend to lift, which transfers all the weight on the rear axle, i.e the one with the tyres.

One would think then that when the lok is pulling in reverse it would loose traction...but no! Wink
The front chassis (the one with three axles) will indeed tend to lift, but while doing that, it transfers weight (and traction! ) to the rear (éaxle)

You'll see, it's subtle, but truly genius.Laugh

No wonder that BR 44 with the original designs were so powerful ...and still are! (and my favorites too)

Cheers

Jacques

thanks 8 users liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline carlos.rivas.16752  
#9 Posted : 23 April 2020 13:15:52(UTC)
carlos.rivas.16752

Spain   
Reading the thread I had the need to weigh some of my locos...here you are, the well kown BR 44 3047 vs modern day BR 44´s and BR 03. In addition, two similar tender locs: a middle eighties produced BR85 versus a modern BR 95.

I don´t know for sure but I guess 150-160 grms is quite a big difference as we´re talking about scale traction power...

Regards
Carlos

20200422_200838.jpg20200422_201028.jpg20200422_200940.jpg20200422_200918.jpg20200422_201054.jpg20200422_200959.jpg
My blog both in Spanish and English: https://grunewiesen1965.wordpress.com
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by carlos.rivas.16752
Offline H0  
#10 Posted : 23 April 2020 14:11:23(UTC)
H0

A problem that many modern Märklin steamers have: too much spring tension on powered axles without traction tyres, too little pressure on the axle with traction tyres.
Tests have shown that reducing the spring tension on some axles increases the tractive effort very much.

It is surprising how much a modern Märklin DHG 500 with just one powered axle can haul. It is a pity how much potential tractive effort is lost with some big steamers.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline jvuye  
#11 Posted : 23 April 2020 17:20:25(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: carlos.rivas.16752 Go to Quoted Post
Reading the thread I had the need to weigh some of my locos...here you are, the well kown BR 44 3047 vs modern day BR 44´s and BR 03. In addition, two similar tender locs: a middle eighties produced BR85 versus a modern BR 95.

I don´t know for sure but I guess 150-160 grms is quite a big difference as we´re talking about scale traction power...

Regards
Carlos

In the pictures you show here, your are also weighing at least part of the tender... which absolutely doesn't participate to the traction effort ...except on the old 3047 where a coiled spring transfers some of the tender's weight to the rear drivers of the loco.
Told you those were really clever! Laugh Wink Wink

Edited by user 23 April 2020 22:55:27(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline TEEWolf  
#12 Posted : 23 April 2020 19:33:24(UTC)
TEEWolf

Sorry folks - you are compairing apples with pears.

"Newer design Märklin steam locomotives too fragile for pulling long trains".

is the heading for this thread. In my opinion they are not! They are only constructed more to the existing reality. Different classes for different duties. In the same way you have to think about yourself too, while running trains as a MRR.

Read the article

"On the art of designing steam locomotives"

and

"Technology in detail. In the early 1920s, the German State Railroad reclassified all their steam locomotives into 99 main class numbers. The German federal and state (GDR) railroads took over the system."

in the Märklin Insider Club News 02/2020. It is the actual one! Here is the link too:

https://www.maerklin.de/...02-2020_031620_EN_nt.pdf

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline carlos.rivas.16752  
#13 Posted : 23 April 2020 23:52:03(UTC)
carlos.rivas.16752

Spain   
Originally Posted by: jvuye Go to Quoted Post

Regards
Carlos

In the pictures you show here, your are also weighing at least part of the tender... which absolutely doesn't participate to the traction effort ...except on the old 3047 where a coiled spring transfers some of the tender's weight to the rear drivers of the loco.
Told you those were really clever! Laugh Wink Wink

Anyway, the loco has to pull also the tender alongside the consist so all in all is traction power. Maybe I´m wrong: you know, I´m a not a Science man, just your humble History teacher...

Regards
Carlos

My blog both in Spanish and English: https://grunewiesen1965.wordpress.com
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by carlos.rivas.16752
Offline river6109  
#14 Posted : 24 April 2020 07:41:37(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
My problem was related to the 3102, the metal boiler was off set and its weight was heavier towards the front bogie lifting up the rear bogie and therefore losing its traction force, I had to add a small washer to align the boiler to its rightful position where you actually tie the screw to the frame, there was enough play for the boiler (1mm) to drop in the front.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline Bones  
#15 Posted : 25 April 2020 07:34:55(UTC)
Bones

Australia   
The real railways use whats known as the RULING GRADE capitals for emphasis only the ruling grade is the steepest grade on any stretch of track and this ultimately determines what
length the train will be and if a single locomotive can pull said train

The AD60 Garrat was able to pull up to 1200 ton on a level track but when they had to pull a train over any of the steep sections particularly the Blue Mountains ( either Gosford or
Lithgow ) that quickly dropped to 600 ton or less depending on what they were actually pulling steel, wood, stock, a bunch of louvre vans or a coal train

Model loco's are in fact able to pull far more weight than there prototypical counter parts mostly because the load being pulled isn't significant that being said the laws of physics still
apply

You can't expect a loco to pull the same weight up a 3% grade that it could on a 1% grade

Model loco's aren't expected to meet the spec's of the prototypes either they are after all for enjoyment not work BigGrin
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Bones
Offline lewistrain  
#16 Posted : 25 April 2020 13:58:34(UTC)
lewistrain

Australia   
Bizarre that my dad's old hornby dublo locos drive all wheels through the connection rods.
You can attach hhuuggee lengths of carriages and wagons to them, get some wild wheel slip on start up just like the real thing, then it gets better as you gain speed.
All power is delivered through a worm to the rear axle, and from there to the remaining axles via connecting rods.Obviously not as fine as modern marklin, but good god, if your new trains bend their rods trying to haul loads then maybe you should look for older tougher models.
LOLOLOL they are just toys, grow up and play with them.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by lewistrain
Offline jvuye  
#17 Posted : 25 April 2020 16:55:24(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Anyway, the loco has to pull also the tender alongside the consist so all in all is traction power. Maybe I´m wrong: you know, I´m a not a Science man, just your humble History teacher...

Regards
Carlos

Hi Carlos.
No problem, it's just me , a bit "anally retentive" that I am.
But if you have a friendly colleague who's a physics teacher, you may find interesting to discuss this with him. (That's what my own physics teacher did with me 60 years ago! Laugh Wink )

Cheers
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline jvuye  
#18 Posted : 25 April 2020 17:08:37(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: Bones Go to Quoted Post

Model loco's are in fact able to pull far more weight than there prototypical counter parts mostly because the load being pulled isn't significant that being said the laws of physics still
apply

You can't expect a loco to pull the same weight up a 3% grade that it could on a 1% grade

Model loco's aren't expected to meet the spec's of the prototypes either they are after all for enjoyment not work BigGrin

Good point!
But in fact , if you were scale it up , most model locos would be pretty powerful, because of their rubber traction tires!
The big problem with model trains is that if you were to scale the rolling resistance (even with the best brands of cars and coaches) it would look more like the train is running with the brakes on!
But again, who cares?
With most locos in my inventory I can pull a prototypical train composition (sometimes with up to 100 axles ...and up a 3 % grade, and certainly through a R2 curve on the same gradient.
What more do we need?
Cheers
Jacques

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by jvuye