Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Online Michael4  
#1 Posted : 13 March 2020 18:08:38(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
Can anyone tell me whether 4050 or 4076 are tinplate or plastic?

Or are there any others I should be looking at for classic 'Inox' SNCF coaches?

Thanks.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Michael4
Offline kamstutz  
#2 Posted : 13 March 2020 18:36:13(UTC)
kamstutz

United States   
Originally Posted by: Michael4 Go to Quoted Post
Can anyone tell me whether 4050 or 4076 are tinplate or plastic?

Michael - Not sure about the #4076's, but the #4050's have plastic bodies. I've got about 6 of them to run with a #3012 eLok. The cars are very light and tend to derail so I put some lead weights (same used for balancing the tires on your car) on the bottoms and that resolved the problem. They look nice, but find yourself clean ones as on some the paint tends to flake.

Kurt

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kamstutz
Offline JohnjeanB  
#3 Posted : 13 March 2020 18:37:23(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hello Michael

They are definitely moldered in plastic and it was a premiere for Märklin at the time (around 1965)
The last reference is with interior while the first was without.
It was also the first time Märklin provided an optional interior illumination with light-conducting stabs
Cheers
Jean
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline Martti Mäntylä  
#4 Posted : 13 March 2020 23:46:17(UTC)
Martti Mäntylä

Finland   
Another thing to be wary about is that many 4050's I see on the market have bent bodies, some to the extent that the window inserts don't fit well any longer. Perhaps Märklin did not get the plastic quite right in their first try. 4076's seem to be free from this issue.
- Martti M.
Era III analog & digital (Rocrail, CAN Digital Bahn, Gleisbox/MS2, K83/K84), C & M tracks, some Spur 1
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Martti Mäntylä
Offline Markus Schild  
#5 Posted : 14 March 2020 09:06:45(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi Michael,

The SNCF INOX - wagons have been made by a number of manufacturers. The Märklin cars are fine. But if you prefer metal - cars look for the models from SMCF or VB from France.

VB (Zamak) #260 (without inscrition)) and #263 as MISTRAL:

UserPostedImage

SMCF:
UserPostedImage

These cars are very heavy. It is not a good idea to use them on a layout with inclines.

Regards

Markus
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Markus Schild
Offline TrainIride  
#6 Posted : 14 March 2020 11:30:39(UTC)
TrainIride

France   
Originally Posted by: Martti Mäntylä Go to Quoted Post
Another thing to be wary about is that many 4050's I see on the market have bent bodies, some to the extent that the window inserts don't fit well any longer. Perhaps Märklin did not get the plastic quite right in their first try. 4076's seem to be free from this issue.

Hi,
one of the causes of the bent bodies was the heat of the interior lightning...

Best Regards
Joël
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by TrainIride
Online Michael4  
#7 Posted : 14 March 2020 11:58:47(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
I will have a look around, I particularly like the look of the VB ones and of course they are metal. They would sit well with my VB Mistral loco. I assume Hornby Acho would be the same if they made them?

However...I have steep inclines and 5100/5200 curves. I usually look for the shortest tin coaches I can find and usually do not run anything longer than three. This is quite important when one has strategically placed contact tracks getting interfered with by coach lighting pick up shoes!
Offline kiwiAlan  
#8 Posted : 14 March 2020 12:31:42(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
I usually look for the shortest tin coaches I can find and usually do not run anything longer than three. This is quite important when one has strategically placed contact tracks getting interfered with by coach lighting pick up shoes!

So how about the 40691 tin plate coach set in this years new Items brochure that is being produced to go with the 30380 SNCF BB9200 reproduction loco?
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline JohnjeanB  
#9 Posted : 14 March 2020 12:46:38(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Michael
I will have a look around, I particularly like the look of the VB ones and of course they are metal. They would sit well with my VB Mistral loco. I assume Hornby Acho would be the same if they made them?

No the Hornby Acho are in plastic, they are gorgeous but longer 258 mm. Here is one https://www.ebay.de/itm/Hornby-A...bf8f6:g:TwAAAOSwkvheIZBW.
There are 2 inox cars: 1 class and 1 class/baggage combi: see here https://www.ebay.fr/itm/Voiture-...76fc9:g:DEoAAOSwD2leZ9EC
They are 2 rails of course
Cheers

Jean

Edited by user 15 March 2020 12:57:08(UTC)  | Reason: 2nd link not valid, now corrected

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Online Michael4  
#10 Posted : 15 March 2020 12:01:41(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
Desirable but shocking, 40691 is NEW. I have never bought anything Marklin that is new apart from 'new old stock' spares and occasional bits of catenary.

There doesn't seem to be an 'nice' solution to this one that suits my small analogue layout. Perhaps I should be looking at the 'cheapies' (Lima, Jouef etc) for something short that at least looks the part. Of course it won't be metal....
Offline kimballthurlow  
#11 Posted : 16 March 2020 02:27:36(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post
the Hornby Acho are in plastic, they are gorgeous but longer 258 mm. Here is one https://www.ebay.de/itm/Hornby-A...bf8f6:g:TwAAAOSwkvheIZBW.
There are 2 inox cars: 1 class and 1 class/baggage combi: see here https://www.ebay.fr/itm/Voiture-...76fc9:g:DEoAAOSwD2leZ9EC
They are 2 rails of course
Cheers

Jean

Hi,
I have investigated these coaches some time ago, and I agree with Jean.
I believe the Hornby Acho to be the best of these "vintage" INOX coaches.
That is in detail (study of photos) and in running (if they are as good as my DEV sets made by Hornby in the same era).

Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#12 Posted : 16 March 2020 17:40:00(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Those INOX ones look GREAT

Re: 4050/4076: I love them, but I had to sell them as I have been through 3 different sets over the years. Despite perfect condition and proper storage conditions, they all either warped or started displaying the paint flake issues...
SBB Era 2-5