Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Dino  
#1 Posted : 15 October 2019 10:37:10(UTC)
Dino

Belgium   
thello i got a quick little question

if i would want to install telex coupler in the loc, woulf it be as easy as buying a lokpilot v4.0 connecting the cables and connecting the telex coupler?
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 15 October 2019 13:27:56(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
The quick answer would have to be "No". You have to look at which telex coupler would be suitable for fitting in your loco, what current it draws, which function outputs are available on the decoder you are considering, etc.

Maybe someone who has actually done the conversion can provide more specific advice.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline JohnjeanB  
#3 Posted : 15 October 2019 14:11:34(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Dino
I have installed the marklin Telex coupler E 117993 (now labelled "Telex Kupplung für V90" in Märklin shop) on many ( approx 10 of them)of my locos using msd2 and msd3 decoders connecting it on one output AUX and programming the output as Telex with a time limit of 8 seconds and one Telex per output
Cheers
Jean

Edited by user 16 October 2019 12:37:19(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline mike c  
#4 Posted : 15 October 2019 15:57:24(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
The design of the couplings on the Hobby Traxx and Siemens Loks would make it rather difficult to install a coupler, as the mechanism would have to be external to the locomotive due to space considerations. The coupling inserts into a NEM socket that is integrated into the snow plow and can pivot from side to side, unlike older models where the coupling was attached to the bogie or to a coupling shaft.

This type of digital coupling is what I am referring to: https://www.eurorailhobb...;sc=HO&stock=R-40410

I found a Maerklin part E117993 that seems to be similar to the Roco item above. You would still need to have the appropriate function outputs on the decoder to activate them and you would have to test to ensure that the metal part of the mechanism would not hang low and contact the center studs.

Krois has a design using a Roco Universal Coupling, which might avoid some of the above risks associated with the Maerklin design.

You would have to ensure that any wiring attached to the coupler would not interfere in the movement of said coupling.

My solution to the Traxx loks was to order the hook designed for the Hag 152/154, which allows you to detach any cars simply by lifting the car up a few mm.
The only time I use the regular couplings is for tandem operation (between loks).

Regards

Mike C

Offline Dino  
#5 Posted : 15 October 2019 16:12:43(UTC)
Dino

Belgium   
thank you for the answers!

I was thinking about the msd3 option, but since theyre a lot more expensieve (lokpilot 35€, msd3 80€) i was thinking about using that lokpilot decoder. But i think you're right Mike, that theres not enough space because of the different coupling than other locomotives and the snow thingy. But could it be possible with my other loc, the 29352? the lokpilot 4.0 has multiple aux inputs which u could configure, and is much cheaper
Offline kiwiAlan  
#6 Posted : 15 October 2019 16:23:22(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Dino Go to Quoted Post

I was thinking about the msd3 option, but since theyre a lot more expensieve (lokpilot 35€, msd3 80€) i was thinking about using that lokpilot decoder.

Woah, you are comparing apples with bananas here. The Marklin decoder is a sound decoder, the lokpilot has no sound. If you want to compare the Lokpilot to a Marklin decoder then the matching item is an mld/3, which is a similar price to the Lokpilot.

Offline Dino  
#7 Posted : 15 October 2019 16:48:37(UTC)
Dino

Belgium   
Oh yeah i forgot to add that i dont need sound sorry about that :), so maybe the mld3 option is better than. But i also noticed there may be enough space, picture added, for the traxx locomotive
d
Offline JohnjeanB  
#8 Posted : 16 October 2019 12:42:07(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Originally Posted by: Dino Go to Quoted Post

I was thinking about the msd3 option, but since theyre a lot more expensieve (lokpilot 35€, msd3 80€) i was thinking about using that lokpilot decoder. But i think you're right Mike, that theres not enough space because of the different coupling than other locomotives and the snow thingy. But could it be possible with my other loc, the 29352? the lokpilot 4.0 has multiple aux inputs which u could configure, and is much cheaper

Hi Dino
You cannot compare a Sound decoder (msd3 79.99€) with a regular decoder mld3 (35.99€ at Lippe)
Based on your picture you have definitely the space to install the Marklin Telex E117993 mentioned earlier
An example is here: https://www.ebay.de/itm/Marklin-...2036c:g:XwUAAOxyQ45Q9pbp
Cheers
Jean
Offline Bryan  
#9 Posted : 19 January 2021 08:42:23(UTC)
Bryan

Australia   
Dear All

Would it be possible to help with these E117993 Telex couplings as I have already burnt one out.

Using a mSD/3 decoder, the function key is F8 AUX2 green/brown cable. In the setup for the function, it has four options.

1) Switching function
2) Momenentary function
3) Duration function
4) Runtime function

From the above comments the AUX2 should be set to 3) Duration function of value 8.

Is this correct as the coil is still heating up.

Thanks in advance.

regards
David
Offline river6109  
#10 Posted : 19 January 2021 11:16:07(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
David

the setting that has a timer attached to it use it but you may have to reduce the value.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline river6109  
#11 Posted : 19 January 2021 11:20:57(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Dino, the project you would like to undertake is not as simple as you indicated by using an ESU lokpilot/sound decoder.

a.) the circuit board your loco has got has an integrated decoder
b.) the circuit board also has to connections integrated for your head and marker lights
c.) you would have to remove the decoder/circuitboard and start afresh with the lokpilot & headlights.

here is my conversion from the original converting it to an ESU sound decoder, adapter plate and my own led lights front & rear including a new circuit board, I've added marker lights, cab lights on both sides,
installing telex coupling with the existing decoder board would also be troublesome as you may find there aren't any extra Aux functions available other wise using an ESU decoder shouldn't be problem

DSC08313.JPG

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline Bryan  
#12 Posted : 19 January 2021 18:57:34(UTC)
Bryan

Australia   
Dear All
Has anyone used the E117993 Telex coupling and knows the value on the mSD/3 decoder. The timer value suggested was 8 however the Telex still overheats. I have burnt out one Telex coupling already. I have searched the internet and found nothing except this post on the coupling.
Best regards
David
Offline JohnjeanB  
#13 Posted : 19 January 2021 19:21:36(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Bryan
Originally Posted by: Bryan Go to Quoted Post

Would it be possible to help with these E117993 Telex couplings as I have already burnt one out.

Using a mSD/3 decoder, the function key is F8 AUX2 green/brown cable. In the setup for the function, it has four options.

I have installed a number of E117993 and they work quite well with any Märklin loco decoder mLD3, mSD3, mSD2 based on the following needs:
* the NEM support must be OK (Not hanging down and returning to the middle position)
* the E117993 must be free to move (the little pin goes out or in depending of facing up or down. NEVER EVER lubricate as this will RUIN your Telex coupling.
* one decoder output AUX1 to AUX4 is OK for ONE couplings (I know it will also work with 2 but this is NOT recommended). All Märklin Decoder outputs are amplified.
* the output must be programmed: as TELEX - instead of DIMMER and with a maximum time-out (delay) of 10 s. More time and the TELEX will start to burn and melt.
* when drilling a hole in the chassis for the wires (sometimes its needed) make sure there remain no sharp edges
* when wiring make sure the wire length is appropriate: no matter the NEM support position is, the wire should move freely with a little spare length

Here is a video of a KPEV T18 (37170) transformed with a 5 pole motor, sound decoder, and a Telex E117993 here in operation

I hope this helps
Jean

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline Bryan  
#14 Posted : 19 January 2021 19:51:35(UTC)
Bryan

Australia   
Thank you Jean, I will try your suggestions today. Regards David
Offline einotuominen  
#15 Posted : 16 July 2023 13:59:21(UTC)
einotuominen

Finland   
Hi,

I’ve yet to buy telex couplers E117993 but I wonder which wire goes to the Aux and which one to the common wire (Märklin orange, Nem blue)?

-Eino
Offline JohnjeanB  
#16 Posted : 16 July 2023 17:34:39(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Originally Posted by: einotuominen Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

I’ve yet to buy telex couplers E117993 but I wonder which wire goes to the Aux and which one to the common wire (Märklin orange, Nem blue)?

-Eino

Hi Eino
It is the wire you want. You are dealing with a simple coil with 2 wires, no polarization, no magnet.
What is important is to map the used AUX as a TIMED output and make it 8 seconds.
That way you have plenty of time to uncouple and are safe all the time as these E117993 burn quite quickly (much less than one minute) so better not forget to turn them OFF unless - of course - you install this timed output.
Cheers
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline einotuominen  
#17 Posted : 16 July 2023 20:47:51(UTC)
einotuominen

Finland   
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: einotuominen Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

-Eino

Hi Eino
It is the wire you want. You are dealing with a simple coil with 2 wires, no polarization, no magnet.
What is important is to map the used AUX as a TIMED output and make it 8 seconds.
That way you have plenty of time to uncouple and are safe all the time as these E117993 burn quite quickly (much less than one minute) so better not forget to turn them OFF unless - of course - you install this timed output.
Cheers
Jean

Ah, of course!

Thanks Jean.

-Eino

Offline einotuominen  
#18 Posted : 18 July 2023 08:35:59(UTC)
einotuominen

Finland   

Hi Eino
Cheers
Jean

Hi again Jean and others,

Can you please verify that my settings in mDT are correct, please see the images below?

IMG_2905 Large.jpegIMG_2906 Large.jpeg
IMG_2904 Large.jpeg

I've entered the value 8 to the turn of delay. What should the dimmer value be and what is the period field about?

Also, should the function be switching or momentary?

Thanks,

-Eino

EDIT: Figured out something myself and edited images.
Offline JohnjeanB  
#19 Posted : 18 July 2023 12:33:12(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Eino
It looks good: one Telex per AUX, settings as a Telex, max turn off 8 seconds
Just, when finisted, verifyr, when turning on one of the Telexes, it goes off under less than 10 S
Usually I do all this on my CS2 or CS3 because it is immediate (fonction mapping)
Cheers
Jean
Offline einotuominen  
#20 Posted : 18 July 2023 13:33:55(UTC)
einotuominen

Finland   
Hi Eino
It looks good: one Telex per AUX, settings as a Telex, max turn off 8 seconds
Just, when finisted, verifyr, when turning on one of the Telexes, it goes off under less than 10 S
Usually I do all this on my CS2 or CS3 because it is immediate (fonction mapping)
Cheers
Jean

Thanks!

I don’t have the couplers yet. This is an old V60 I’m converting, so I have to wait for Mobadapter nem pockets first. However I don’t have CS, so I need to use mDT. The decoder is the wired one, not 21 pin, so I have to get everything in order before I solder the wires LOL BigGrin

-Eino
Offline bph  
#21 Posted : 19 July 2023 12:33:40(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Hi

Here is a mLD3 project I made for my NSB Di5 (V60) fitted with E117993 Telex. I also included a coupler waltz.
I used the dimmer to lower the "voltage" (for extra protection). and the default periods on the Telex coupler setting.
I don't know if the dimming actually protects it more, but it makes sense. so far it works fine with the setting. But if it collects some dirt it might need more "voltage" to work.
NSB_Di5_waltz.mdtp

ps: if you can read Norwegian, you can find the prototype locomotive operation manual here: 715.06_Beskrivelse og betjeningsforskrift_diesel lokomotiver_type Di 5_1985.pdf
Offline einotuominen  
#22 Posted : 20 July 2023 14:12:39(UTC)
einotuominen

Finland   
Originally Posted by: bph Go to Quoted Post
Hi

Here is a mLD3 project I made for my NSB Di5 (V60) fitted with E117993 Telex. I also included a coupler waltz.
I used the dimmer to lower the "voltage" (for extra protection). and the default periods on the Telex coupler setting.
I don't know if the dimming actually protects it more, but it makes sense. so far it works fine with the setting. But if it collects some dirt it might need more "voltage" to work.
NSB_Di5_waltz.mdtp

ps: if you can read Norwegian, you can find the prototype locomotive operation manual here: 715.06_Beskrivelse og betjeningsforskrift_diesel lokomotiver_type Di 5_1985.pdf

Thanks! I'll have a look of this asap.

-Eino

Offline einotuominen  
#23 Posted : 04 August 2023 16:26:03(UTC)
einotuominen

Finland   
Hi!

So the mobadapter NEM pockets and the Telexes fi ally arrived and are now installed in this old V60.

They work. However I was foolish enough to think that they work with relex too. Damn. Guess I’ll be looking to replace relex with SC, but on many wagons, it can’t be done. Or is there a hack/fix for this?

Strange thing with the mDT setup though... The coupling sound is played when I activate the telex and then the function stays on. Telex does shut down as supposed, but I then have to activate the function again to ”turn it off”, and it plays the sound second time… I wonder what I did wrong.

The decoder is the 8-pin version as the V60 would not fit 21pin mtc. So no way of getting it attached to the decoder programmer anymore… Guess I need to find someone with CS3 in my area.

-Eino
Offline JohnjeanB  
#24 Posted : 04 August 2023 16:32:22(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Eino
When installing a Telex (E117993) on a loco fitted with mSD3, mSD2, mLD3, mLD2:
- configure the AUX as Telex or as Dimmer (set to max)
- dont forget to make it a timed fonction, shutting itself OFF after 9 seconds AND VERIFY IT DOES SHUTS OFF.
- even with MDT always verify the mapping of things (often in correct on M projects

Cheers
Jean
Offline einotuominen  
#25 Posted : 04 August 2023 21:03:37(UTC)
einotuominen

Finland   
Hi Eino
When installing a Telex (E117993) on a loco fitted with mSD3, mSD2, mLD3, mLD2:
- configure the AUX as Telex or as Dimmer (set to max)
- dont forget to make it a timed fonction, shutting itself OFF after 9 seconds AND VERIFY IT DOES SHUTS OFF.
- even with MDT always verify the mapping of things (often in correct on M projects

Cheers
Jean

Hi, yes I’ve done that, but now that I try the loco, the telex works as supposed, but the function is left on. I need to turn the function off before I the telex will work again. Sound is played on both times, when turning it on (telex triggers) and when turning off.

Thanks!

-Eino