Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Karl  
#1 Posted : 14 October 2019 16:26:55(UTC)
Karl

United States   
Hello. Has anyone noticed that selling used Marklin items isn't bringing in the money it used to say 10 years ago?
I just sold a really nice shape RM800 with no traction wheels and a two tongue slider making it more rare for only $81.00?
I couldn't believe that is all it sold for.
There was no one who jumped on it just picking at it.
This could have brought in at least $500.00 not to long ago.
I have doing this on eBay for about 12 years now and it seems worse than ever.
I currently have a 3048 locomotive in great shape for sale on eBay (no tender) and so far selling for $34.00 with only 2 days left on the auction.
I hope I get more that that!
I have put locomotives out starting around $99.99 and rarely I sell them unless it is Z gauge.
I cannot see how these other sellers move there products starting at a high price.
Most of the stuff I sell is used, but in good shape.
I have seen some used Marklins stating they are in good condition, but are really bad.
I guess the days of making any money on fixing and re-selling Marklins has passed by.
Your thoughts.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Karl
Offline David Dewar  
#2 Posted : 14 October 2019 16:37:53(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Don't see any point in buying Marklin to sell it. I like to run my Locos and only sell if I have two of the same or one I rarely run in which case sell for what anybody wants to pay in order that they can get a good home.
There may be a few rare locos that somebody is keen to buy but making a profit might be difficult. Only if the Company went bust and no longer produced anything then that would be different but its the last thing we want to happen.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 11 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline Karl  
#3 Posted : 14 October 2019 16:44:55(UTC)
Karl

United States   
Thanks for the insite.
What I am saying is I mainly bought trains that didn't run or needed parts.
I would fix them and resell and could actually make something on them.
These days it looks like the prices are higher on broken ones especially the shipping not making it worth fixing them anymore.
Also it doesn't look like as many "in need of repair" ones are listed like they used to be.
I do have my own trains that I won't sell of course.
Offline river6109  
#4 Posted : 14 October 2019 17:16:13(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Originally Posted by: Karl Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for the insite.
These days it looks like the prices are higher on broken ones especially the shipping not making it worth fixing them anymore.
Also it doesn't look like as many "in need of repair" ones are listed like they used to be.

Karl, the last thing I do sell items on ebay "Auction" you might as well give them away. RM 800's aren't that rare and yes 10 years ago you would have sold it for much more.
I suspect over the years more second hand stuff is coming onto the market, people either give the hobby away or are 6 foot under.

an auctioneer told me 25 years ago the ordinary Märklin stuff is selling as cheap as chips and today it would be worse.

I don't have any illusions about the current prices.

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline Jimmy Thompson  
#5 Posted : 14 October 2019 17:44:20(UTC)
Jimmy Thompson

United States   
I recall paying what might be deemed "too high" prices for used Märklin back in the '06-'08 time frame Blushing , but that was at the height of the Insolvency Situation and I was Scared Scared. To. Zonkers. that I would never get some of the items. Most were in good shape, some not, but I was happy to get them and fix up those that needed it.

I have not seen prices lately because I have what I need, but I wonder if that difference in prices, now vs 10-ish years ago, could be correlated for the insolvency threat then and the relatively stable situation now? Maybe? Confused Just a thought.

Jimmy
Jimmy T
Analogue; M-track; BR 111; KLVM; Primex; Sarrasani Zirkuswelt
There is a Prototype For Everything
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Jimmy Thompson
Offline amartinezv  
#6 Posted : 14 October 2019 18:42:08(UTC)
amartinezv

Spain   

Hello,
Some time ago I had some märklin material to sell, and in the end I had to sell it for the same thing it had cost me.

Currently I have one of the wagons of the museum, I have repeated it and I want to sell it, but I am not willing to sell it below the price I paid for it, and there it is, for sale, and has been for years.

However, on the other hand, I like beer wagons very much, and I continually find wagons whose sale prices seem very expensive to me, 40-50€, which of course I don't buy, they don't sell and they don't lower the price.

Best regards
Antonio Martínez
marklin, IB, era 3, Train controller
www.raildigital.es/davidruso
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by amartinezv
Offline kiwiAlan  
#7 Posted : 14 October 2019 18:51:42(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
I think what you are observing is the effect of the internet, in that it is much easier to find an item you want, and can pick and choose between several to select the one you want. Go back 20 years when there were no auction sites on the net, and you had to go out to a real auction or flea market to find what you wanted, and picked up the best you could find at a price point you could live. Now everybody has [put stuff on ebay and the market has dried up because the buyers have bought the items they wanted, and were spoilt for choice when they did so.

It doesn't matter where I live, I can buy from anywhere in the world, so when you are selling you are competing against the rest of the world, not just ebay.com, but ebay.de, ebay.fr, etc ... and then there is craigslist, and a whole heap of bricks and mortar auction houses such as Vectis or Warwick & Warwick, where I can bid on-line for items as well, so there is a myriad of choices for the buyer to pick and choose from. So now I have such a choice i don't need to pay the high prices that used to exist to get an item because it is the only one I have seen in 6 months, and may never see another one again for a couple of years and then I would be competing with half a dozen other people in the same boat.

Now I type the model number into a search engine, and can be directed to a source I hadn't known about before, along with several other sources I do know about, and so can pick and choose at a price that I can live with. It really has become a buyers market.

thanks 4 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Karl  
#8 Posted : 14 October 2019 19:59:18(UTC)
Karl

United States   
The interest in the hobby itself has been replaced by electronics.
The way I see it mechanics as a whole it being put on the backburner and electronics have stepped forward.
Look at automobiles for example.
Well anyway back to this post.
I still see many people listing Marklins at a price I doubt they will ever sell for.
Check this item on US eBay 254316376364.
He is a dealer and has been for some time.
I emailed him for the heck of it letting him know that the condition of that train is fair (check the picture with no slider) and not very good as described plus the price is way to high.
He didn't like my comment about it of course.
I guess he keeps paying the eBay fees for this until he pulls the listing down.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Karl
Offline Unholz  
#9 Posted : 14 October 2019 20:03:41(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   
Originally Posted by: amartinezv Go to Quoted Post
(...) I want to sell it, but I am not willing to sell it below the price I paid for it, and there it is, for sale, and has been for years.

No offence intended, but with this quote you very nicely describe the current situation on (Swiss) flea markets. Almost every weekend during the fall to spring flea market season, one meets sellers at such markets that have been carrying along the same stuff for many, many years. If one tries to convince them that their prices might have been justified in the 1990's or early 2000's, they just shake their heads and repeat a sentence like yours - similar to the broken-vinyl-record-effect. Wink

And because every single day more and more old or not so old Marklin stuff (and Fleischmann and Trix and Roco etc.) hits the market, these sellers will keep sitting on their merchandise until they (but not their items...) have left us. Sad

thanks 6 users liked this useful post by Unholz
Offline Minok  
#10 Posted : 14 October 2019 22:15:34(UTC)
Minok

United States   
The used market at present seems to be stuck with a bunch of stock that is past its prime, but the prices are not adjusting.
A SoftSinus loco may have been the bees knees back in the day, but this day the market is more interested in a loco that has modern mfx/mfx+ decoders and doesn't have a risky drive train (your controller board dies and your SOL with that softsinus drive).
Folks trying to sell used track for what is almost the price of brand new track from a dealer.
The list goes on.

Buy things to play with them.

If you buy to make money or as an investment, you are gambling. Have fun with that.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by Minok
Offline TEEWolf  
#11 Posted : 15 October 2019 00:55:36(UTC)
TEEWolf

Thanks for the insite.

Don't worry. The same experiences are made by Maerklin themselves and where they are complaining about too. The used MRR market is their biggest competitor.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline ktsolias  
#12 Posted : 15 October 2019 08:31:33(UTC)
ktsolias

Greece   
I agree with all of you.

I have to say that the digitalization of the layouts in these days has make all the analog locos useless.

The conversion to digital cost in the best and with the cheaper solution about 50€ and is not suitable for all the models.

For a conversion with 5pole motor plus mfx decoder with sound (all new locos have something like this) you have to pay between 100 and 150€ only for the parts. If you do the conversion by yourself. If somebody else done it for you: forget it!!!

So the price of an old analog loco and if it is in mint condition must be really low to be attractive.

Calculate and the cost of the auction platform or the profit of the merchant, plus the post and you see that the money that will go to the sellers pocket are ridiculous low.

For the majority of the locos you can have with maybe 50€ more a new one with better characteristics plus 5 year warranty.

Last week I was on a collection of 213 locos plus a lot of wagons etc. The collection belongs to some body who pass away and his son does not know what to do all this staff. I don't know if is worth even to spent time to look for the value. May be is worthy to buy all together in a low price.

So in the next years we will see more and more used items for sale and the prices will go even more down.

I did a comparison on Koll's 2002 and 2018..... Day and night

Thank you

Costas
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by ktsolias
Offline kimballthurlow  
#13 Posted : 15 October 2019 09:00:03(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: ktsolias Go to Quoted Post

So in the next years we will see more and more used items for sale and the prices will go even more down.

I did a comparison on Koll's 2002 and 2018..... Day and night

Thank you

Costas

I agree with that assessment.
I am unable to see quality model trains becoming any more popular, except for onlookers.
Onlooker venues will include:
1. TV shows running model competitions (like in UK, The Great Model Railway Challenge etc).
2. Model train exhibitions
3. Traditional, Technical and Toy Museums

Which basically leaves the physical hobby more and more in the hands of professional model and layout builders, firms employing/using modellers for TV etc, and large displays such as Peter Porsche and Miniature Wonderland (Hamburg).

So my guess is there are still markets for Maerklin, Hornby and the US firms such as Bachmann and Atlas as platforms for above.

Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline PJMärklin  
#14 Posted : 15 October 2019 11:48:06(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
I agree with all of you.
I have to say that the digitalization of the layouts in these days has make all the analog locos useless.

Hello Costas,

Thank you for your comments.

Even though I run and prefer a digital layout, I suspect one should keep in mind that many of our users group on this forum are still devoted analogue fans. I can understand a nostalgic empathy they share with the old Märklin solid metal, dependable analogue locomotives and systems that they can readily service themselves..

Regards,

PJ
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline RayF  
#15 Posted : 15 October 2019 13:23:50(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I, for one, am grateful for lower prices of used analogue locos, as it allows me to fill in "gaps" in my collection without spending large amounts.

In most cases these locos can be converted to digital with a Marklin 60760 or a ESU decoder+magnet kit, allowing you to run the loco on a digital layout with good running characteristics, albeit without all the bells and whistles.

Yes, sometimes you can get a new loco instead, but with most new locos now closer to the €200-€300 bracket I think it's still worthwhile buying an old analogue loco for €70-€80 and adding the €30 - €40 euro cost of a decoder kit.

The main thrust of this thread is concern for the seller, but what's bad for the seller can be good for the buyer!

Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 10 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Karl  
#16 Posted : 15 October 2019 15:36:31(UTC)
Karl

United States   
I agree that this is great for the buyers and newbies in the hobby.
For the life long collectors who spent a fortune building up there collection and now want to trim down absolutely not.
Might as well just keep and enjoy the trains and forget selling at all.
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#17 Posted : 15 October 2019 15:58:43(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
I, for one, am grateful for lower prices of used analogue locos, as it allows me to fill in "gaps" in my collection without spending large amounts.

In most cases these locos can be converted to digital with a Marklin 60760 or a ESU decoder+magnet kit, allowing you to run the loco on a digital layout with good running characteristics, albeit without all the bells and whistles.

Yes, sometimes you can get a new loco instead, but with most new locos now closer to the €200-€300 bracket I think it's still worthwhile buying an old analogue loco for €70-€80 and adding the €30 - €40 euro cost of a decoder kit.

The main thrust of this thread is concern for the seller, but what's bad for the seller can be good for the buyer!

I'm with Ray, the ESU full conversion kits cost me $35-40 depending on the exchange rate, and makes old locomotives new again. Worth every penny, and in many cases tok what were effectively trains sitting in boxes I might see once per year at most, and made them running and breathing items to enjoy
SBB Era 2-5
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by 5HorizonsRR
Offline Karl  
#18 Posted : 15 October 2019 16:47:48(UTC)
Karl

United States   
That is good to be able to convert them for digital.
But for the actual collector it is not.
Keeping it factory stock should actually command a better price when selling.
Just like a factory all stock car.
Offline Minok  
#19 Posted : 15 October 2019 21:22:09(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Originally Posted by: PJMärklin Go to Quoted Post

Even though I run and prefer a digital layout, I suspect one should keep in mind that many of our users group on this forum are still devoted analogue fans.

Yep, for the analogue modeler, they are invaluable but I suspect most of the analogue folks are the old school folks, and as such:
1) Already have pretty much what they want/need in their collection, so not on the buying side of any listings (no demand)
2) This group will die out in the next 20+ years and not be replaced by new analogue enthusiasts, the newcomers are likely all digital.

I suspect analogue is a niche where the user base is shrinking to practically zero.
---
My YouTube Channel:
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Minok
Offline Rwill  
#20 Posted : 15 October 2019 21:54:56(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post

This group will die out in the next 20+ years and not be replaced by new analogue enthusiasts, the newcomers are likely all digital.

However all their precious collections will become the "burden" of their mostly disinterested offspring who will be on Ebay like a shot with either ridiculously high price expectations or lets just rid of it low prices.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Rwill
Offline Minok  
#21 Posted : 15 October 2019 23:12:48(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Originally Posted by: Rwill Go to Quoted Post

This group will die out in the next 20+ years and not be replaced by new analogue enthusiasts, the newcomers are likely all digital.

However all their precious collections will become the "burden" of their mostly disinterested offspring who will be on Ebay like a shot with either ridiculously high price expectations or lets just rid of it low prices.

That is unfortunately the case. Or an estate sale to a model railroad shop if they have one in range. When you are working with the estate of a loved one the last thing anyone wants to do is expend the time and effort to maximize returns on things; you are looking to liquidate because its an emotional time and grieving doesn't combine well with optimal profit seeking on a used product.
---
My YouTube Channel:
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Minok
Offline Karl  
#22 Posted : 16 October 2019 00:27:43(UTC)
Karl

United States   
Give it 50 years.
The old analog models will gain in price.
Especially the ones in great condition with boxes and instructions.
There is no doubt about it.
Right now we are coming from the 60's 70's even 80's when these trains were the norm.
Once they become what is considered "rare" they will gain value once again.
Just look at coins.
Same thing happened with silver and gold.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Karl
Offline PMPeter  
#23 Posted : 16 October 2019 02:36:56(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Give it 50 years.
Right now we are coming from the 60's 70's even 80's when these trains were the norm.
Just look at coins.

Unfortunately I would assume that the large majority of members on this forum will not be around in 50 years and by then our offspring will have already disposed of everything. Therefore, I would agree with you that those items fortunate enough to survive will be worth more as rarities, but that doesn't help any of us that are trying to get more than cents on the dollar for what we have accumulated over the decades.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by PMPeter
Offline river6109  
#24 Posted : 16 October 2019 04:09:29(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Originally Posted by: PMPeter Go to Quoted Post
Give it 50 years.
Just look at coins.

Unfortunately I would assume that the large majority of members on this forum will not be around in 50 years and by then our offspring will have already disposed of everything. Therefore, I would agree with you that those items fortunate enough to survive will be worth more as rarities, but that doesn't help any of us that are trying to get more than cents on the dollar for what we have accumulated over the decades.

I' not so sure what will occur in 50 years, forecasting prices in 50 years is purely speculation and you may make more money or lose more if you put a bet on it., the only trouble with this is you can't collect your winnings.
including gold and silver is a bit over the top gold and silver has been a worldwide commodity for many years on the stock market, I never came across model trains, I would rather compare stamps with model trains, at one stage I collected stamps and my investment (although it has been minimal compared with model trains) I may gained a few dollars and this also is pure speculation because I've made no attempt at this stage to sell them and see if the selling price is accurate.

John
Offline Karl  
#25 Posted : 16 October 2019 06:53:43(UTC)
Karl

United States   
My son collected Pokemon cards when he was young.
He gave my he collection of cards to sell for him because he was to busy.
Most of those cards were worthless yet there were just a few "rarer" ones that commanded a pretty good price.
This happens to almosty everything unless there is no interest in it whatsoever.
Hummels lost lots of value, but there are the few that will keep a high price.
I guess that is the way Marklin is right now.
Offline Michael4  
#26 Posted : 16 October 2019 09:38:10(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
I suspect that much of the younger generation may not have the same enthusiasm for 'collecting' physical things. They seem to prefer to 'collect' experiences and things digitally. I suspect they don't really appreciate mechanical excellence in the same way.

When it comes to building layouts they may neither have the time nor the space. OK so those who live in the wide open spaces of certain continents will be ok for space but in the 'old countries' how many younger ones have a spare room?
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by Michael4
Offline Karl  
#27 Posted : 18 October 2019 00:24:03(UTC)
Karl

United States   
This was so well said and to the point by PJMärklin:

I can understand a nostalgic empathy they share with the old Märklin solid metal, dependable analogue locomotives and systems that they can readily service themselves..

Wow! That hit my heart! How true.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Karl
Offline LA2019  
#28 Posted : 18 October 2019 03:02:18(UTC)
LA2019

United States   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
Give it 50 years.
Just look at coins.

I' not so sure what will occur in 50 years, forecasting prices in 50 years is purely speculation and you may make more money or lose more if you put a bet on it., the only trouble with this is you can't collect your winnings.
including gold and silver is a bit over the top gold and silver has been a worldwide commodity for many years on the stock market, I never came across model trains, I would rather compare stamps with model trains, at one stage I collected stamps and my investment (although it has been minimal compared with model trains) I may gained a few dollars and this also is pure speculation because I've made no attempt at this stage to sell them and see if the selling price is accurate.

John

John, you got it exactly right.

I'm 52 and many, many years ago my father, God rest his soul, who was a numismatic, said to me "Son, whatever you make of a hobby, do it because you enjoy it. If you do it to mainly to make money then you're in it for the wrong reasons".

Now, if over the years the items you collect rise in value; GREAT! Icing on the cake.

In the meantime play with the trains and enjoy them.
Ken
USofA
thanks 14 users liked this useful post by LA2019
Offline river6109  
#29 Posted : 18 October 2019 03:48:01(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Originally Posted by: LA2019 Go to Quoted Post
Give it 50 years.
Just look at coins.

John

John, you got it exactly right.

I'm 52 and many, many years ago my father, God rest his soul, who was a numismatic, said to me "Son, whatever you make of a hobby, do it because you enjoy it. If you do it to mainly to make money then you're in it for the wrong reasons".

Now, if over the years the items you collect rise in value; GREAT! Icing on the cake.

In the meantime play with the trains and enjoy them.

in my youth days and beyond you never heard of collectors and there must have been only a few, somewhere in these years the word must have escaped there is money to be made with Märklin, unfortunately these gold hunters got onto the band wagen and started collecting Märklin stuff like in the days of the gold rush., my main collection was never intended either to collect or make money from it (as an investment) and in my time I thought rare or locos with a difference would make money eventually but how wrong was I; I bought 3 of the Nohab locos with a special design and Märklin had trouble with the colouring scheme and apparently they had different releases with slightly different outcomes, the loco in question was model No.: 3174
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline rbw993  
#30 Posted : 18 October 2019 18:39:57(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
In my experience collectible items generally lose their value once those who were enamored of them in younger days have passed away. The only exception are mint and truly rare items.

Roger
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by rbw993
Offline Jabez  
#31 Posted : 18 October 2019 21:36:09(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
many of our users group on this forum are still devoted analogue fans.
PJ

That is true, and raises the interesting point, why should this be so. I can understand why people may be fans of say steam traction engines. They are a relic of a unique technology that in its day changed the world. But analogue model trains seem to be a relic of limited technology that was eventually superseded. OK, if you had them as a kid there is the nostalgia effect, but otherwise, why?
Jabez

I heard that lonesome whistle blow. Hank Williams
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Jabez
Offline Jimmy Thompson  
#32 Posted : 18 October 2019 22:39:38(UTC)
Jimmy Thompson

United States   
Quote:
Jabez wrote:
"...if you had them as a kid there is the nostalgia effect, but otherwise, why?"

Jabez,

The "why" for me is simple: one of my off-campus jobs in college was a Train Shop in town which just happened to be a Märklin dealer. In those years it was easier for him to "pay" me in stock, so to speak (probably illegal now...Blushing ) but I got into M-Analogue in a small way - a KLVM and a BR74 and a some freight and passenger cars and M-track (the only track available). Not much room in a dorm.

A number of years later I grabbed up a few more M-track pieces and some more cars and replaced "Old Blue".

So, analogue from nostalgia, yes, but from a young adult choice (some might say I was still a kid in school LOL ) ; but more because I do not have much more room now and my shelf-layout is so small that investing now in digital, or making a conversion to C-track, or even signals...not really necessary for me to enjoy my play-time Cool .

As far as "at the big 'when' ", I have left notes for my kids as to what to do with the trains if they do not want to keep or ebay them: donate to the local train club (if they will have them).

Jimmy
Jimmy T
Analogue; M-track; BR 111; KLVM; Primex; Sarrasani Zirkuswelt
There is a Prototype For Everything
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by Jimmy Thompson
Offline river6109  
#33 Posted : 19 October 2019 06:16:48(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Jimmy Thompson Go to Quoted Post
Quote:
Jabez wrote:
"...if you had them as a kid there is the nostalgia effect, but otherwise, why?"

Jabez,

The "why" for me is simple: one of my off-campus jobs in college was a Train Shop in town which just happened to be a Märklin dealer. In those years it was easier for him to "pay" me in stock, so to speak (probably illegal now...Blushing ) but I got into M-Analogue in a small way - a KLVM and a BR74 and a some freight and passenger cars and M-track (the only track available). Not much room in a dorm.

A number of years later I grabbed up a few more M-track pieces and some more cars and replaced "Old Blue".

So, analogue from nostalgia, yes, but from a young adult choice (some might say I was still a kid in school LOL ) ; but more because I do not have much more room now and my shelf-layout is so small that investing now in digital, or making a conversion to C-track, or even signals...not really necessary for me to enjoy my play-time Cool .

As far as "at the big 'when' ", I have left notes for my kids as to what to do with the trains if they do not want to keep or ebay them: donate to the local train club (if they will have them).

Jimmy

When I'm gone I will take the trains with me and program all my digital locos on automatic pilot LOL

thanks 4 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline David Dewar  
#34 Posted : 19 October 2019 11:50:06(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Quote:
Jabez wrote:

Jabez,

Jimmy

When I'm gone I will take the trains with me and program all my digital locos on automatic pilot LOL

Can I have the rights to sell the orange wire.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline river6109  
#35 Posted : 19 October 2019 13:18:58(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post
Quote:
Jabez wrote:

Jabez,

Jimmy

Can I have the rights to sell the orange wire.

ring my orange mobile phone

thanks 4 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline kiwiAlan  
#36 Posted : 19 October 2019 20:33:54(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Jabez Go to Quoted Post
many of our users group on this forum are still devoted analogue fans.
PJ

That is true, and raises the interesting point, why should this be so. I can understand why people may be fans of say steam traction engines. They are a relic of a unique technology that in its day changed the world. But analogue model trains seem to be a relic of limited technology that was eventually superseded. OK, if you had them as a kid there is the nostalgia effect, but otherwise, why?
Jabez

I think there is a certain amount of being prepared to deal with the complexity of technology (programming CVs in locos and accessory decoders) compared to the perceived simplicity of lots of wires and switches.

Analogue is relatively easy to understand and trace signals to work out what is happening, where attempting to do the same with a digital system can be very confusing if the documentation hasn't been kept up to date.

thanks 4 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Jabez  
#37 Posted : 19 October 2019 21:24:36(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

I think there is a certain amount of being prepared to deal with the complexity of technology (programming CVs in locos and accessory decoders) compared to the perceived simplicity of lots of wires and switches.

Analogue is relatively easy to understand and trace signals to work out what is happening, where attempting to do the same with a digital system can be very confusing if the documentation hasn't been kept up to date.

I think that is a good point. I am certainly frequently baffled by CV adjustments and other digital procedures to assert control over trains and components on my layout. But I keep trying to get the hang of it and would not sacrifice the extraordinary possibilities of digital control for simpler circuit wiring in analog.
Jabez

I heard that lonesome whistle blow. Hank Williams
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Jabez
Offline Unholz  
#38 Posted : 19 October 2019 22:41:30(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
But analogue model trains seem to be a relic of limited technology that was eventually superseded. OK, if you had them as a kid there is the nostalgia effect, but otherwise, why?

Also in my opinion because of all the mysteries and frustrations one encounters as a simple "plug and play" user with all the CV stuff and the cryptic manuals (mostly resembling the ancient phone books) that inevitably seem to be associated with digital. ThumbDown
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Unholz
Offline Michael4  
#39 Posted : 19 October 2019 23:34:22(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
Do the new 'tariffs' of 25% apply to model railways? If so then maybe the price of second hand items in the US will go up?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Michael4
Offline applor  
#40 Posted : 21 October 2019 00:32:11(UTC)
applor

Australia   
As mentioned the market for those collectors items continues to shrink because the buyers are old modellers who have a connection with the models of their child hood.

I am probably considered a young modeller (36) and while I started with analogue I now have only digital locos and majority with sound (factory or converted).
For me I have zero interest in old analogue models - I am only interested in models with high levels of detail and silent motors with sound, as they are the most realistic and my focus is building a realistic model layout.
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by applor
Offline river6109  
#41 Posted : 21 October 2019 02:12:16(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Originally Posted by: applor Go to Quoted Post
As mentioned the market for those collectors items continues to shrink because the buyers are old modellers who have a connection with the models of their child hood.

I am probably considered a young modeller (36) and while I started with analogue I now have only digital locos and majority with sound (factory or converted).
For me I have zero interest in old analogue models - I am only interested in models with high levels of detail and silent motors with sound, as they are the most realistic and my focus is building a realistic model layout.

The level of details in newer locos is apparent but I've noticed while they are running on my layout, the detail is somewhat blurred by the speed it is only when you take them into your hand you realize there are some of the add on bits missing BigGrin, I just can't get over the high prices these "newer" locos are costing.

thanks 5 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline Mark_1602  
#42 Posted : 23 November 2019 07:31:48(UTC)
Mark_1602

Luxembourg   

[...]

So the price of an old analog loco and if it is in mint condition must be really low to be attractive.

Costas

Hi Costas,

That's true for common, mass-produced locos, but not for rare items that are almost impossible to find. Last week, I saw a mint first version New Haven (Marklin 3062.1/4062.1) being sold for over 600 euros in an auction on Ebay.de. I can't tell if the locos were really original without any touch-ups or if the price was pushed by a bidder who knows the seller, but collectors still pay high prices for outstanding vintage items.

Mass-produced locos of the 1960s were overvalued for several decades, from the moment that Koll's Catalog became popular in the early 1980s, but that's all over now. For a long time, the market has been dominated by the baby-boomers, the biggest spenders in the history of mankind. Twenty years ago, they were still younger, but now, many of them are retired, so they often spend less. The generations that follow them (X and Y) are more price-conscious and have other interests or priorities in life.

I'm generation X myself, and I've downsized my collection over the last ten years, keeping the outstanding, authentic items that would be very hard to find in this condition plus things I might use. I agree with other forum members that it's a buyer's market nowadays. Prices in Ebay auctions are generally low, so the only way to sell your collection at a good price is to find one of the few remaining wealthy collectors who still spend large amounts of money on collection trains ...

Edited by user 23 February 2020 09:14:02(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Best regards, Mark

I like Märklin items produced in the 1960s or early '70s, but also digital locos & current rolling stock.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Mark_1602
Offline Mark_1602  
#43 Posted : 23 November 2019 08:11:48(UTC)
Mark_1602

Luxembourg   

[...]
1) Already have pretty much what they want/need in their collection, so not on the buying side of any listings (no demand)
2) This group will die out in the next 20+ years and not be replaced by new analogue enthusiasts, the newcomers are likely all digital.

I suspect analogue is a niche where the user base is shrinking to practically zero.

1) isn't really true because the most desirable items are the rare ones, so the hunt for collector's items can go on for a lifetime. Anyway, most digital users have so many locos that they don't really need any new ones, but they still keep on buying. You know, it's really hard to find very good AND authentic vintage items from the 1960s, even if prices are down. Most of what I see on Ebay is either used or not original. There's still strong demand for outstanding items.

2) Some enthusiasts will pass away, but on average digital users aren't much younger than analog ones. I think there won't be many newcomers for either of these two groups in future. Actually, many digital users are into collecting and buy vintage items as well as newer locos, sometimes preserving old locos as collector's items that will not be converted. Some of our members do that.

MRR as a whole is a niche market with a shrinking base. I think that in future analog locos will be more like museum items that don't need to run. The market will not collapse because digital users will go on buying older locos and convert them. That takes a lot of analog locos out of the market and reduces oversupply. In future it might be even harder to find truly original analog locos that have never been tampered with, so I don't believe such items will be very cheap.

I have two young sons. All I need to do is motivate one of them to take over my small collection of authentic analog locos. He could still choose to be a digital user himself if that's what he prefers ... We shouldn't see the whole issue as digital vs. analog but rather as digital plus vintage (and/or analog). I think that's the present and future, though it will only be a small niche market.

Edited by user 23 February 2020 09:14:20(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Best regards, Mark

I like Märklin items produced in the 1960s or early '70s, but also digital locos & current rolling stock.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Mark_1602
Offline hxmiesa  
#44 Posted : 23 November 2019 08:42:41(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Originally Posted by: Mark_1602 Go to Quoted Post

I'm generation X myself,

OK boomer...

Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline David Dewar  
#45 Posted : 23 November 2019 12:00:53(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
The market for all model rail new or old will continue to get smaller as the youngsters of today have little interest in our hobby. How many kids will want a model rail set for Christmas when they can have the latest computer games and Ipads etc. Rare Marklin will be of interest to older folk who are already hooked on the hobby. I wonder on our site how many are under the age of thirty and will continue to spend on expensive locos etc or will want to collect Marklin which I expect in the years to come will have little value. Meanwhile I am happy with the hobby and will carry on buying but I am of the old folks and we cant go on for ever much as I would like to.
Off for a coffee and have another go at setting up an event on my CS3.
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline michelvr  
#46 Posted : 23 November 2019 16:39:49(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Hello Kark, Et all,

You wrote, “Has anyone noticed that selling used Marklin items isn't bringing in the money it used to say 10 years ago?”

Here's some history that only a few know about me. Back in the early nineties I was selling Märklin in Ontario, Canada. Trying to sell Märklin in Canada is one of the hardest endeavour's I’ve ever undertaken. Just visualize seeing a Märklin dealer at a train show with a table full on beautiful NEW Märklin supplies and ......Mellow ......nobody is buying from him, that was me! I’ve even dropped the prices to what I’ve paid for from Märklin and still no bites. The lesson that I learned was when in Rome sell what the Romans want, North American model trains. Crying

That adventure cost me quite a few thousand dollars and taught me that Märklin is a hard sell in Ontario.

Let’s advance the time to today, all of us Märklin lovers want digital, sound and all the bells and whistles! Bright shiny new stuff for the layout and so people want the new and out with the old! Ten years ago buying Märklin was not as financially demanding as it is today, who ever thought that buying a new Märklin steam locomotive would cost you $600.00 in today's money. That's the reality of today and unfortunately I’m still a lover of Märklin but will not fall into the financial abyss of owning costly toys so that my family can sell then at ten cents to the dollar when I pass from this world.

By the way I still have a Märklin train set from the nineties, which I set up occasionally at Christmas and whenever I do I look and think to myself now that's a costly golden mistake of a model train set!!!!!

Money is so easy to spend but try to make money selling model trains especially Märklin is a gamble I took once never to be repeated.

I still sell at model train show's but when I meet people who want to know if I’m interested in selling their fathers Märklin collection I pass up the offer as I know it's a very hard sell and not worth the money they invested in. So I tell them to keep the memories alive by keeping the stuff!

Money in hand is a comfort that I’ve learned and keeping that money is worth more than having a big box of Märklin model trains! Oh, by the way I do have a big box of Märklin model trains bought from 2012 to today but that's for my personal use, not really to sell. But if someone is looking for that special piece..........

Sincerely, Michel

Edited by user 23 November 2019 22:07:18(UTC)  | Reason: Crossing the t's and dotting the eyes! Grammar mistakes.

thanks 12 users liked this useful post by michelvr
Offline jaseguvi  
#47 Posted : 06 December 2019 20:51:35(UTC)
jaseguvi

Hi.
The money of my tobacco, became a Marklin.
today i have more marklin than smoke and nicotine.
i am happy, tobacco remains increasing the price.

Please do not post in capitals, in internet speak that's the same as shouting at everyone which is rather rude!

Edited by user 29 December 2019 18:36:54(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 7 users liked this useful post by jaseguvi
Offline mike c  
#48 Posted : 07 December 2019 01:57:33(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I collect Swiss Models and international trains that run on Swiss rails. I was never strictly a Maerklin collector even though I run on Maerklin tracks.
I don't think that any of my models are collector gold, with the exception of a few pieces here and there that were rare and are still in demand from those who missed out on them in the first place and the few small production items or conversions of which that are maybe 50 in the world, be it the Lightsteel ABt, the RailTop Pilot coaches, the HUI models, etc.

I suppose that the demand for the RailTop pilot coaches might go down if Heris or somebody else would re-release models based on those molds or the HUI SOB Re 4/4 might lose it's value if Roco actually put out the same model, but at the same time, the Zugkraft Aargau pilot coach will probably go up now that Maerklin/Trix released the matching Re 4/4II and people will be trying to find the train to go with it.

Either way, my collection is a collection of memories and trips that I have been on and it is not an investment or retirement plan.
It won't have the same memories to somebody else, but hopefully to my niece and nephew, they might be "Uncle Mike's trains" and have some importance to them as a result.
But who knows what the future will bring...

Personally, I like putting together a train, watching it run and remembering that day or that trip a long time ago and that is priceless.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline eberhardt  
#49 Posted : 07 December 2019 09:03:35(UTC)
eberhardt

United Kingdom   

Either way, my collection is a collection of memories and trips that I have been on and it is not an investment or retirement plan.
It won't have the same memories to somebody else, but hopefully to my niece and nephew, they might be "Uncle Mike's trains" and have some importance to them as a result.
But who knows what the future will bring...

Personally, I like putting together a train, watching it run and remembering that day or that trip a long time ago and that is priceless.

Regards

Mike C

That is exactly my reason for collecting early Marklin. (Not that I have much). Sweet memories of journeys across Germany and Austria in the 60's, watching the beautiful countryside go by. Even one memorable trip on the Rheingold express, sitting in the restaurant car dome. Some of the views looking down in the valleys of Austria were enough to give me vertigo, but it was fantastic. Never to be forgotten. I don't care how valuable, (Money wise), Marklin gets, (Or not as the case may be), my memories are worth more than gold to me. John.
thanks 9 users liked this useful post by eberhardt
Offline jaseguvi  
#50 Posted : 29 December 2019 18:48:25(UTC)
jaseguvi

Originally Posted by: jaseguvi Go to Quoted Post
Hi.
The money of my tobacco, became a Marklin.
today i have more marklin than smoke and nicotine.
i am happy, tobacco remains increasing the price.

Please do not post in capitals, in internet speak that's the same as shouting at everyone which is rather rude!

Hi.
Sorry for my awkwardness.
It was not my thought.
Jorge
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jaseguvi