Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Peter Pop  
#1 Posted : 21 August 2019 23:19:04(UTC)
Peter Pop

United States   
Bought the yellow habbniillnes sets . All cars of
both sets derail from straight to curve track and visa versus even using the r4 and r5 radii. The wheel carriage gets stuck on the under siding of the car. Adjusted the position of the wheel carriage , no change. Any suggestions ?
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 22 August 2019 00:02:31(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I have the 48063 set on order. I'll check it when it arrives.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline mrmarklin  
#3 Posted : 22 August 2019 01:04:42(UTC)
mrmarklin

United States   
Originally Posted by: Peter Pop Go to Quoted Post
Bought the yellow habbniillnes sets . All cars of
both sets derail from straight to curve track and visa versus even using the r4 and r5 radii. The wheel carriage gets stuck on the under siding of the car. Adjusted the position of the wheel carriage , no change. Any suggestions ?

Push in the buffers.Crying
From the People's Republik of Kalifornia
Offline mike c  
#4 Posted : 22 August 2019 04:01:45(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
If you are talking about the 48059/48062 Wascosa SBB Swiss Post cars, you need to inspect the bogies of these models. When I received the first set, I noticed that one of the bogies on the German language car had a different bogie than on the other end and on the other cars. I contacted my dealer, who informed me that Maerklin was replacing those bogies, but was not recalling the sets.

It took a while, but the dealer received the part and I replaced it and the cars are now operating fine.

See: https://www.marklin-user...erklin-car--bogie--48059

You should not have any spacing issues on R4 or R5. Pushing the buffers in should only be required when using R1 and possibly R2.
Check to ensure that the couplers are not hitting the bottom of the buffers and that the coupling mechanism slides freely left to right.

Regards

Mike C

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline michelvr  
#5 Posted : 23 August 2019 15:31:15(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Hello Peter,

Re: MARKLIN 48062 - 3 Type Habbiillnss High-Capacity Sliding Wall Boxcar Set

Just to confirm your observation you are correct in stating that the wheel bogie gets stuck on the underbody frame of the freight car causing it to derail. I also had the same issues and just last Monday August 19 I returned the set to my dealer. I bought it early spring and only took it out for a spin last week when I noticed the issues of them derailing on curves.

It's very unfortunate as the set was quite beautiful and looked super on my layout.

I'm sorry to see it go as I run my trains and this set did not play by the rules!

Looking at the picture you will notice that the black plastic underbody frame is not straight it's actually bowed. Besides causing derailment on the curves you will also notice that the buffers and couplers are also angled downwards and they misalign when you try to couple them. This is all due to the bowed frame. Marklin needs to make a gusset to reinforce the black plastic underbody frame. This is so that it will not bow and be straight so that this freight cars will be in alignment with the others.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by michelvr
Offline michelvr  
#6 Posted : 23 August 2019 16:22:43(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Please note for discussion clarity the video is for explaining the issue with the MARKLIN 48062 - 3 Type Habbiillnss High-Capacity Sliding Wall Boxcar Set derailing. No harm intended.

thanks 4 users liked this useful post by michelvr
Offline Thewolf  
#7 Posted : 23 August 2019 16:38:18(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Originally Posted by: michelvr Go to Quoted Post
Please note for discussion clarity the video is for explaining the issue with the MARKLIN 48062 - 3 Type Habbiillnss High-Capacity Sliding Wall Boxcar Set derailing. No harm intended.

Hi Michel Cool

If my memories are good, I believe that a boogie positioning scheme is attached to the product, precisely in order to avoid these kinds of problems.

I'm talking about memory.

Thewolf
Project The Richelieu Valley Railway-CS2-Track C- Itrain-Digital
Offline Peter Pop  
#8 Posted : 23 August 2019 22:00:12(UTC)
Peter Pop

United States   
Thanks exactly the same with my set. I did adjust the position of the bogy without improvement. When I am back to my layout I will check how the wheels are secured to the wheel carriage. Will post follow up
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Peter Pop
Offline michelvr  
#9 Posted : 24 August 2019 03:20:12(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Thewolf Go to Quoted Post

Hi Michel Cool

If my memories are good, I believe that a boogie positioning scheme is attached to the product, precisely in order to avoid these kinds of problems.

I'm talking about memory.

Thewolf

Hello Thewolf,

I'm not sure what you mean by a boogie positioning scheme is attached to the product?

What's actually wrong is that the frame of this particular freight car is bowed/warped. Which in turn is preventing the pivotal movement of the bogie causing the wheels to derail when it runs into or onto a curve. Please look at the video and you'll see what I mean.

Have a great evening!
Offline RayF  
#10 Posted : 24 August 2019 14:12:16(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Would it be possible to improve the clearance between the bogie and the frame so as to prevent this? I am thinking that a thin washer on the pivot might do the job, or maybe a small amount of filing where the contact occurs?

I bought a couple of Hobby fridge vans a few years ago which would not run freely. When I looked carefully I noticed that the wheel flanges were rubbing on the bottom of the underframe. I took a small file and filed a groove in the underframe to allow clearance for the wheel flange, and this allowed the wagon to roll freely. This seems to have been a one-off problem that year because more recent versions of that van have not had the problem, and all my older ones are perfect too.

I know it is irritating to have to work on a brand new product, but sometimes a few minutes work solves a problem which otherwise would mean sending it back and not having it at all!
Ray
Offline michelvr  
#11 Posted : 24 August 2019 15:10:47(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Hello Ray Happy Saturday,

The repair guy in me was going to modify the cars but at $169.99 for the set, nope not going to happen! I for one love to tinker and fix things but not this time, no this is not acceptable!

By the way this was not a one off as Mike my dealer from West End Trains tried with a multitude of different cars from the MARKLIN 48062 - 3 Type Habbiillnss High-Capacity Sliding Wall Boxcar Set all exhibiting the same problem.

Now that Mike knows the issue he will pass it on to Märklin. With a simple mould modification the problem can be solved for all the cars that will be produced in the future. When done I’ll the on the waiting list.

For now the best course of action is to return the cars to Märklin. When people like us say Märklin we speak about quality products which is what Märklin is famous for! Anything less is not acceptable, ja, das ist wahr, yes that is true!!

Offline Thewolf  
#12 Posted : 24 August 2019 15:58:35(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Hello Ray Happy Saturday,

The repair guy in me was going to modify the cars but at $169.99 for the set, nope not going to happen! I for one love to tinker and fix things but not this time, no this is not acceptable!

By the way this was not a one off as Mike my dealer from West End Trains tried with a multitude of different cars from the MARKLIN 48062 - 3 Type Habbiillnss High-Capacity Sliding Wall Boxcar Set all exhibiting the same problem.

Now that Mike knows the issue he will pass it on to Märklin. With a simple mould modification the problem can be solved for all the cars that will be produced in the future. When done I’ll the on the waiting list.

For now the best course of action is to return the cars to Märklin. When people like us say Märklin we speak about quality products which is what Märklin is famous for! Anything less is not acceptable, ja, das ist wahr, yes that is true!!

Hi Michel

I forgot to mention that I have this set and it's at Mike's, because I have the same problem.

I haven't heard from Mike: I know he has a lot of repairs to do.

But if I understand correctly, it seems irreparable to Mike.

But if Marklin has to make a new mold, Marklin has to reimburse us I think, since we don't know how to do anything with this set.

Have a nice day

Thewolf

Offline Thewolf  
#13 Posted : 24 August 2019 19:28:33(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
This is what I was talking about

48062 Instruction.pdf (805kb) downloaded 106 time(s).

According to Mike, this should work.

Here his answer that I received 15 minutes ago:

''. I did this today to 48062 and I can run it on my Heidelberg at almost full speed on the R1 curves and through standard turnouts that have a S shape.

Mike Sorge
Westend Trains Inc. www.westendtrains.com
17 Arnold St.
Etobicoke, ON M8Z 5A5
Canada
T: 416.251.6124
F: 416.251.1637''

Thewolf
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Thewolf
Offline Peter Pop  
#14 Posted : 24 August 2019 21:22:24(UTC)
Peter Pop

United States   
Did change to number 3 position ie closer to the center of the car , still derailed. Buffers were already pushed in by factory
Offline Thewolf  
#15 Posted : 24 August 2019 23:07:43(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Peter Pop Go to Quoted Post
Did change to number 3 position ie closer to the center of the car , still derailed. Buffers were already pushed in by factory

Hi PeterCool

Okay, I understand.

But there's something I don't understand in this thread.

You seem to be saying that there is nothing to do to avoid derailments, just as Michel seems to be saying too.

Michel and I have the same dealer, Mike.

Mike writes to me that after adjusting the boogies, it was working on his Heidelberg layout. I know the Heidelberg layout: I owned it for a few years.

And believe me when anything on Heidelberg, everything works on any layout

There's obviously something wrong here.

As for me, I'll wait for the set to come back but if Mike tells me it works, it works.

Thewolf
Offline michelvr  
#16 Posted : 24 August 2019 23:49:09(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Hello Serge,

Mike wrote me an email today also saying that they work fine.

BUT I like Peter tried different positions and that I know is not the problem.

The black underbody frame is warped, bent or bowed, that's the problem.

I just sent Mike a very detailed hypothesis of my findings.

I'll post a part of it here which is more or less what I wrote in an earlier post above.

Now let’s look at the picture below.

If you look at the picture you will notice that the right car's black underbody frame is not in a straight line. Visually you can see that and to verify what I was seeing I used a height gauge. I measured the length of the underside of the black underbody frame and the heights were off at both ends. In other words, the frame is bent on both ends! Again now looking at the picture you will notice that the buffers are slightly on a down angle which actually is all caused by the black underbody frame. With this cascading effect the coupler position is now out of gauge. I used a coupler height gauge from Kadee to measure that. The frame's warp or slight bow downwards accentuates the coupler's assembly height position and causes the coupler to be too low to couple to the next car or engine in my case.
Offline michelvr  
#17 Posted : 24 August 2019 23:56:03(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Anyway;

This hobby is about having fun running your trains but hey you gotta laugh and cry at the same time when this happens!

Have a great Saturday evening!

Michel
Offline Thewolf  
#18 Posted : 25 August 2019 00:13:34(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Hello Serge,

Mike wrote me an email today also saying that they work fine.

BUT I like Peter tried different positions and that I know is not the problem.

The black underbody frame is warped, bent or bowed, that's the problem.

I just sent Mike a very detailed hypothesis of my findings.

I'll post a part of it here which is more or less what I wrote in an earlier post above.

Now let’s look at the picture below.

If you look at the picture you will notice that the right car's black underbody frame is not in a straight line. Visually you can see that and to verify what I was seeing I used a height gauge. I measured the length of the underside of the black underbody frame and the heights were off at both ends. In other words, the frame is bent on both ends! Again now looking at the picture you will notice that the buffers are slightly on a down angle which actually is all caused by the black underbody frame. With this cascading effect the coupler position is now out of gauge. I used a coupler height gauge from Kadee to measure that. The frame's warp or slight bow downwards accentuates the coupler's assembly height position and causes the coupler to be too low to couple to the next car or engine in my case.

Well, I understand better.

I hadn't looked at the first picture very seriously... and indeed there is something fishy on the right car.

Keep us informed of your conversation with Mike.

As for me,as it is not certain that my set has the same defect as yours, I will therefore check thoroughly when the set is back.

An idea like this : and if we would cut or remove the buffers

What do you think about this ?

Serge
Offline Thewolf  
#19 Posted : 25 August 2019 00:20:00(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Anyway;

This hobby is about having fun running your trains but hey you gotta laugh and cry at the same time when this happens!

Have a great Saturday evening!

Michel

Michel,

You are rightCool

For the moment, I'm only half fun: too many connection problems, design problems with the layout and configuration of Itrain.

This project is provisional: it allows me to see the mistakes I make and I take note for next year and the final layout.

I will certainly do it differently. The real fun will be for that moment there

Serge

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Thewolf
Offline Peter Pop  
#20 Posted : 03 September 2019 19:15:28(UTC)
Peter Pop

United States   
Did just now check the bogie and they are the correct Märklin ones. Tested all the cars and they all derail from straight to R3 radius C track and visa versa. Even with R4 there is the same problem. It gets stuck on the bottom of the car. I have older similar cars with imprinted “ made in west Germany “ which run just perfectly. Changed the position of the boogie which just made it worse. I quess they will go back in the box and will be returned
Offline mike c  
#21 Posted : 05 September 2019 07:48:33(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Hello All,

I received the 48059 Set last year. I did not test it because I noted that one of the bogies did not match the others. I set the models aside and asked my dealer (Eurorailhobbies) to contact Maerklin and obtain the correct part.
A few months ago, I received the 48062 set, which had all the right bogie parts and finally received the replacement bogie, so that my 48059 now has matching bogies.
Based on this topic, I decided to examine them in a little more detail…

Based on inspection, I cannot see any signs of warping. What I did note is that on all three cars of the original 48059 set, there appears to be blockage when the bogie pivots. This could ostensibly cause the car to derail when the car enters a curve or crosses a switch track. This is not the best week, as I don't have much free time and many dealers are in Germany for the IMA.

I will drop my dealer (Mr. Menzel) a quick email regarding this discovery and hopefully he can address it with Maerklin.
I will compare the cars to older similar cars in my collection (SNCB B Cargo). to see if those bogies have a similar issue.

Regards

Mike C
Offline xxup  
#22 Posted : 05 September 2019 13:19:40(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
I just realised that I have this set (i.e. 48059).. It works fine on R1 and R2 M-track.. In a couple of weeks when the train room air-conditioner is replaced and the bridge is returned to its proper position, I will do a video..
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#23 Posted : 05 September 2019 13:36:39(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Hi all, good (and scary) to know. I bought a 48059 at Eurowest last month, and haven't tested it yet. And of course I put the set in storage for the interim as well since I'm finishing the basement for suture layout activity :)
SBB Era 2-5
Offline mike c  
#24 Posted : 05 September 2019 19:09:31(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
Hello All,

I received the 48059 Set last year. I did not test it because I noted that one of the bogies did not match the others. I set the models aside and asked my dealer (Eurorailhobbies) to contact Maerklin and obtain the correct part.
A few months ago, I received the 48062 set, which had all the right bogie parts and finally received the replacement bogie, so that my 48059 now has matching bogies.

Based on inspection, I cannot see any signs of warping. What I did note is that on all three cars of the original 48059 set, there appears to be blockage when the bogie pivots. This could ostensibly cause the car to derail when the car enters a curve or crosses a switch track. This is not the best week, as I don't have much free time and many dealers are in Germany for the IMA.

I will drop my dealer (Mr. Menzel) a quick email regarding this discovery and hopefully he can address it with Maerklin.
I will compare the cars to older similar cars in my collection (SNCB B Cargo). to see if those bogies have a similar issue.

Regards

Mike C

I had a little time today, so I set up a quick test track using some straight track and a quarter curve using C Track (R4).

On the first test, the second and third car (48059) derailed as each car entered the curve. The first car remained on the track.
I removed and reversed the direction of the second car. On the subsequent test, only the third car derailed.
I then reversed the direction of the last car, but it still derailed.
I then reversed the direction of the first car and on the next test, all three cars derailed.
The problem is NOT related to the buffers. The bogie is not freely pivoting and this results in the wheels not being able to remain on the rails.
It may be possible to install some kind of spacer which would provide a little gap between the bogie and the undercarriage.
I will have to remove one of the bogies and see what it looks like underneath and try to see what is interfering with the rotation.
I will also try to dig out the older SNCB car to see how that car performs and test the other set (48062) as well.

Regards

Mike C
Offline river6109  
#25 Posted : 06 September 2019 06:45:03(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Hello All,

Regards

Mike C

I had a little time today, so I set up a quick test track using some straight track and a quarter curve using C Track (R4).

On the first test, the second and third car (48059) derailed as each car entered the curve. The first car remained on the track.
I removed and reversed the direction of the second car. On the subsequent test, only the third car derailed.
I then reversed the direction of the last car, but it still derailed.
I then reversed the direction of the first car and on the next test, all three cars derailed.
The problem is NOT related to the buffers. The bogie is not freely pivoting and this results in the wheels not being able to remain on the rails.
It may be possible to install some kind of spacer which would provide a little gap between the bogie and the undercarriage.
I will have to remove one of the bogies and see what it looks like underneath and try to see what is interfering with the rotation.
I will also try to dig out the older SNCB car to see how that car performs and test the other set (48062) as well.

Regards

Mike C

sometimes you have to change the coupling so long the cars have coupling shafts, we're changing most of our Roco/Märklin carriages with 40375 couplings, they couple into a double hook by both couplings therefore a.) the wagons will not uncouple b.) they seem to be flat enough not to interfere with the undercarriage.

John

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline mike c  
#26 Posted : 06 September 2019 06:48:43(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
sometimes you have to change the coupling so long the cars have coupling shafts, we're changing most of our Roco/Märklin carriages with 40375 couplings, they couple into a double hook by both couplings therefore a.) the wagons will not uncouple b.) they seem to be flat enough not to interfere with the undercarriage.

John

Unfortunately in this case, it has NOTHING to do with the couplings. It is the bogies themselves that are blocked by something on the undercarriage and cannot freely pivot, causing the car to leave the tracks...

The cars derail, even if they are pushed into the curve on their own.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline RayF  
#27 Posted : 06 September 2019 10:25:03(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post

John

Unfortunately in this case, it has NOTHING to do with the couplings. It is the bogies themselves that are blocked by something on the undercarriage and cannot freely pivot, causing the car to leave the tracks...

The cars derail, even if they are pushed into the curve on their own.

Regards

Mike C

Hi Mike,

Are the cars heavy enough? Does adding a bit of weight help at all?

Either way it does seem to me that the problem stems from the bogie's inability to rotate freely. I'm still waiting for the 48063 set I ordered to arrive so I'm naturally concerned that this might be a problem with this set too.
Ray
Offline michelvr  
#28 Posted : 06 September 2019 15:17:25(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Fellow Märklin enthusiasts,

Imagine buying a boat that would not float or an aeroplane that would not fly. Now having bought a freight car set that would not run on the rails will not do so in all fairness my solution is the easiest way to fix the problem.

I returned them to my dealer!BigGrin

Regards, Michel
Offline RayF  
#29 Posted : 06 September 2019 15:27:09(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   

Imagine buying a boat that would not float or an aeroplane that would not fly. Now having bought a freight car set that would not run on the rails will not do so in all fairness my solution is the easiest way to fix the problem.

Regards, Michel

Simple solution of course, except for two things.

Firstly it means you have to post the parcel back to your dealer, assuming he will give you a refund (unless your dealer is close to you and you can visit personally, which is not very common in today's world!) This might or might not incur extra postage which might not be recoverable.

Secondly, and more importantly for me, you will end up back at square one with no wagons to show for your efforts!

I am a firm believer in the option to attempt a "fix", as long as this is possible, easy, and cheap. As I wrote in an earlier post, I have used a small file to fix similar issues in the past.
Ray
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline mike c  
#30 Posted : 06 September 2019 16:08:19(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I have now tested my 48062 and can attest that this set also seems to be affected. I still have to go through my collection to find and test the 48032 SNCB Cargo Sliding Wall Car to see if it has the same design/problem.

Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post

Regards, Michel

Firstly it means you have to post the parcel back to your dealer, assuming he will give you a refund (unless your dealer is close to you and you can visit personally, which is not very common in today's world!) This might or might not incur extra postage which might not be recoverable.

Secondly, and more importantly for me, you will end up back at square one with no wagons to show for your efforts!

I am a firm believer in the option to attempt a "fix", as long as this is possible, easy, and cheap. As I wrote in an earlier post, I have used a small file to fix similar issues in the past.

Ray,

would you buy a new car if the first thing you had to do when leaving the dealership was change the spark plugs, suspension spring and headlights?
If I buy a SBB Lok and I have to straighten out the diagonal railing on the lok face, that is one thing. If the damned thing won't run properly, why should I have to take it apart to figure out what the problem is when I paid for a new and operating model?

There already is a silent recall on this model. In my case, Maerklin replaced a bogie that was not the same as the other 5 on my 48059 set. It may be that ALL bogies need to be replaced or will be replaced if requested... We need MORE details from dealers and from the factory on this one.

Once again, here is a link to my original topic regarding this model:
https://www.marklin-user...erklin-car--bogie--48059

Regards

Mike C
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline michelvr  
#31 Posted : 06 September 2019 17:29:50(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post

Regards, Michel

Hello Ray,

Yes, I also feel the pain when it comes to returning items, like you I live in a remote area to be a model railroading enthusiast. But I’m in a small way luckier than you as I have a dealer in Toronto. When it come to wanting a certain Märklin item I have to order it and wait, them take a drive. The drive is ninety minutes on a good day but sometimes over two hours when the TORONTO traffic is bad!!!!! That's one way.

But unlike you I do not live on a rock which is in a hard place when you always have to order items from the mainland, so I get your point to do the repair. We are of the same mindset where we have the ability to modify and correct deficiencies on our model trains but at the price I paid close to $200.00 with taxes Canadian, NO WAY will I accept this, it's going back!!

Remember this stuff is expensive at these prices it should run like a Swiss watch!Laugh
Offline Thewolf  
#32 Posted : 06 September 2019 17:41:54(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   

Remember this stuff is expensive at these prices it should run like a Swiss watch!Laugh

I totally agree and that's what I wanted to describe in my post'' the quality control at Marklin''' or something like that

Thewolf

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Thewolf
Offline xxup  
#33 Posted : 07 September 2019 11:11:04(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
As promised, here is a video of the 48059 set going over a Marklin 5120 Industrial curve (R0) - forwards and backwards. All of the bogies are the same and there is no obvious "sticking" when I turn the bogies. The little Lilipiut is running at 50% speed, which is a tad fast for the curve, but there is no derailment on the curve.

While the video shows one forward and reverse run through the curve, I tested this over a period of two hours using different speeds and sequence of the wagons. So, if it works on R0, then it should work on R4 and R5.. Smile
Adrian
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by xxup
Offline michelvr  
#34 Posted : 07 September 2019 15:40:22(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post
So, if it works on R0, then it should work on R4 and R5.. Smile

Hello xxup,

Not to burst any bubbles but we had done the same on the store layout which was on Märklin C track R1 oval. The store owner Mike and I looked on in amazement as it ran flawlessly round and round. We were running the set slow, faster and faster for a good 5- 10 minutes with the set running perfectly!

Then when I brought it home...............

As mentioned I loved ❤️ their set and was sad 😔 to see it returned.
Offline mike c  
#35 Posted : 07 September 2019 18:24:31(UTC)
mike c

Canada   

This is exactly the issue that I observed when I tested my 48059 and 48062 sets.

I tested them on C-Track and manually without track and observed blockage when pivoting. It did not happen every time, but with the right position of the bogie, something seems to interfere with the free motion. The bogies can be removed by pressure on the clip using pliers. I have not had the time to inspect the undercarriage to see what is causing the problem. I remember a few models where the coupling shaft was causing a similar problem, but in this case, this does not seem to be a factor. It could be the spring for the coupling mechanism or some obstruction or detail on the car underside, possibly the adjustable seat for the bogie pin... Has anybody repositioned the bogie pin to tighter radii. If Adrian changed the position, it might have solved the problem if it moved or removed the point of contact.

Stay tuned

Mike C
Offline xxup  
#36 Posted : 07 September 2019 23:33:48(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Conclusion - replace the c-track with m-track.. LOL
Adrian
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by xxup
Offline fusionfaded  
#37 Posted : 07 September 2019 23:55:57(UTC)
fusionfaded

Switzerland   
I had the exactly same issue with my Habbiillnss cars too. Even a single car will derail on a curvy track as the bogies seem to be unable to turn free randomly.

The Store sent them back to Göppingen, but after receiving them back 6 Months later they were as bad as before. Confused

My impression was that the bogies simply get stuck on the undercarriage of the car if not absolutely perfectly level. The top of the bogies resemble I-Beams and are perfect for getting stuck.
I shaved of those plastic "lips" off at a 45 degree angle using a knive and some sandpaper. I haven't had the chance to test them on "real" track, but they do no longer derail on my test setup (a bunch of "S-Curves).
Offline Thewolf  
#38 Posted : 08 September 2019 01:21:43(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Originally Posted by: fusionfaded Go to Quoted Post
I had the exactly same issue with my Habbiillnss cars too. Even a single car will derail on a curvy track as the bogies seem to be unable to turn free randomly.

The Store sent them back to Göppingen, but after receiving them back 6 Months later they were as bad as before. Confused

My impression was that the bogies simply get stuck on the undercarriage of the car if not absolutely perfectly level. The top of the bogies resemble I-Beams and are perfect for getting stuck.
I shaved of those plastic "lips" off at a 45 degree angle using a knive and some sandpaper. I haven't had the chance to test them on "real" track, but they do no longer derail on my test setup (a bunch of "S-Curves).

What pisses me off in this comment is the fact that the item is back to Marklin. It stays there for 6 months and it turns out that nothing has been done. Marklin seems doesn't care at all his clientCursing

Damn it!!!

Thewolf
Offline mmervine  
#39 Posted : 08 September 2019 03:03:46(UTC)
mmervine

United States   
I have a set of these cars (48059) and tonight I took a look at mine. I do not have the issue with the bowed underframe, but they did sometimes derail on R1 curves. I removed the bogies and noticed that there was some mold flash and uneven surfaces on the top. I did two things to my cars:

1. I filed the top of the bogies to smooth them out
2. I added half an ounce of weight to each car

They now seem to run much better!
Märklin C-track, Marklin Digital & ECoS, multi-era French & Swiss
http://www.ete-ene.org/m...mervines-layout-gallery/
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mmervine
Offline xxup  
#40 Posted : 08 September 2019 04:37:11(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
... If Adrian changed the position, it might have solved the problem if it moved or removed the point of contact.

I did.. There are instructions on how to set up these cars for small radius curves.. Personally, I am surprised at how well they go around the R0 curve.. I know that on R1 and R2 they ran without problems a year ago, when I first got them..
Adrian
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by xxup
Offline RayF  
#41 Posted : 08 September 2019 11:25:49(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: mmervine Go to Quoted Post
I have a set of these cars (48059) and tonight I took a look at mine. I do not have the issue with the bowed underframe, but they did sometimes derail on R1 curves. I removed the bogies and noticed that there was some mold flash and uneven surfaces on the top. I did two things to my cars:

1. I filed the top of the bogies to smooth them out
2. I added half an ounce of weight to each car

They now seem to run much better!

This is exactly what I have been suggesting in an earlier post or two! ThumpUp

When I receive mine I'll check to see if they display the problem and if they do I'll try just this kind of solution. Anything is better than having to send them back!

Ray
Offline Purellum  
#42 Posted : 08 September 2019 23:27:11(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

UserPostedImage

Per.

Cool
If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#43 Posted : 11 April 2020 22:37:18(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Hi everyone, apologies for reviving an old thread, but hopefully I can provide some additional inputs.

My 48062 arrived from Germany today, and it reminded me to also pull out my 48059 for testing. The bogies on all 6 cars certainly felt terrible! My second immediate thought was the cars needing weight.

After torture testing as a set on my figure 8 - both forwards and backwards - I have one "bad" car. I was surprised the rest even worked. But anyhow, I filed the top of the bogie and as I started doing so I realized they are made that way for the opposite reason- to push the trucks toward the track and away from the body (vs towards the chassis, where they will hang up)

The fix took a little thought, but was quite simple- a thin brass washer between car body and bogie, or two on the side I filed by mistake... The car run flawlessly now.

be careful not to use too thin of a washer or the bogies won't rotate/turn freely enough.

Edited by user 20 April 2020 01:50:58(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

SBB Era 2-5
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by 5HorizonsRR