Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Janne75  
#1 Posted : 13 August 2019 10:19:36(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Hi

I bought this brown digital Märklin 5516 DRG EG 589 in this summer. When we tested to run it on the track it looks amazing. Love

My kids would like that it goes a bit faster. I know that the prototype did not go very fast and it is totally fine for me when I run it alone.

I have tried to search for instructions of how to adjust top speed and acceleration/braking delay with digital decoder potentiometers (by screwdriver) if there are any. If you know how to do it or if this 5516 has those potentiometers please let me know. Thanks! ThumpUp

One more question. When we build our living room 1-scale layout it is quite large. It is around 15-20 meters long. We have used so far only Märklin Mobile Station 2 with only one current supply point for this layout. I know MS2 has a limited power supply capability and it would be wise to have a more powerful controller. I have CS2 60214 with my digital H0 layout and I could use it, but the transformer is attached by screws to layout structure. Maybe I should buy another transformer/power supply for CS2 60214 so I could use this for my 1-scale trains too.

When we tested larger more power demanding 1-scale locos like K.Bay.St.E. Gt 2x4/4 Mallet that has two motors with many wagons (more track current needed) MS2 cut off the power too easily. It has started to sometimes turn on strangely with only showing ”Märklin” logo. I have not updated it or the track box for many years. Maybe five years ago or something... Scared It might help to this problem but not to larger power supply need. I found out that the newest update for MS2 is version 3.55 . I should check out what version I have. It should be somehow possible to update MS2 with CS2 but I do not remember anymore how it should be done. Maybe very easy to do that.

When locos run they go faster in the only power supply point and slower on the opposite side of track. With more powerful power supply also 5516 would go faster. But when I compare it’s top speed with other locos it is slower than most of them (except DB BR 80).

Cheers,
Janne
Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Janne75
Offline blid  
#2 Posted : 13 August 2019 12:25:45(UTC)
blid

Sweden   
I have a CS1 Reloaded for my outdoors 1-gauge layout (with several feeders). It is too limited for consist and engines with several motors. I can also use a CS2 (60125) with a 60101 power supply. Still a bit tight. Interior lighting (non LED) in passenger cars have to be turned off.
Today I ordered the (former product) ESU 8 A booster. I hope it will give what I need.

I don't know anything about the 5516.
OneGauge Marklin and MTH, ESU ECoS 2.1 on LGB tracks. MTH 3-rail 0-gauge, DCS on GarGraves tracks. Z: Rokuhan tracks, analog or DCC+TC Gold.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by blid
Offline Janne75  
#3 Posted : 13 August 2019 22:48:06(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
I think that CS2 60214 will have enough power for my layout if that 5 Amper power supply version for 1-scale is used. MS2 has 1.9 Amper power supply if I remember correctly.
Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#4 Posted : 13 August 2019 22:52:30(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Janne75 Go to Quoted Post
I think that CS2 60214 will have enough power for my layout if that 5 Amper power supply version for 1-scale is used. MS2 has 1.9 Amper power supply if I remember correctly.

Only if your 60214 is the later revision with the higher power output stage. The earlier revision is only 3A capability, irrespective of the higher output power supply.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline gcanton  
#5 Posted : 16 August 2019 19:30:15(UTC)
gcanton

United Kingdom   
I know it is probably not the right answer but check the lubrication as these are fairly old and grease that has become glue can increase the current and slow the loco.

The decoder tweaks need the old Marklin programmer if you run it on DCC as it is programmed with registries not pots or CV's if I remember correctly.

But I suspect if you try it on AC the speed will not be controlled by the loco and so you can check if it runs at full pelt when on digits or has been set for a realistic if boring top speed. 55Kph?

They are lovely loco's though and will pull just about anything.

If they are properly lubricated they do not take many amps like a G Scale American loco would.

Graham

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by gcanton
Offline Purellum  
#6 Posted : 17 August 2019 08:43:20(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

I have one too; but don't really remember the internals or decoder very well, except for the
two motors being quite small compared to e.g. the motor in a V100.

As it is now, the two motors run quite different in speed, I haven't solved that problem yet.

I've bought on Ebay a MFX-decoder for a E18 32, which I've planned to install into this loco,
even though purists might find the sound to be wrong - even though none of them
most likely haven't heard any of these locos in real life.

Regarding speeding the loco up: I wouldn't do it, you might damage the motors.

Per.

Cool

If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline Janne75  
#7 Posted : 18 August 2019 23:45:35(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Thank you to all of you for your replies. Graham, do you mean like Märklin Control Unit 6021 for programming this loco? I had one for years but not anymore. It was a great controller.

I will try to relubricate this loco. Maybe it has too much friction from hardened grease/oil.

Per, I don’t want to overload those two small motors so good advice from you to not run them at too high rpm’s. But I want it to pull long trains without overloading/cutting off power from track. It is most likely caused by too small power output from the controller.

Cheers,
Janne
Offline gcanton  
#8 Posted : 25 August 2019 20:49:24(UTC)
gcanton

United Kingdom   
Hello,

Apologies for being slow to reply, it is 2 versions before a 6021. I did find the kit to reprogramme the ancient decoders and the note below is a cut and paste. In terms of pulling power it is certainly 18-20 wagons without issue on Marklin gauge 1 curves, well lubricated and it does not do fast.

I have cracked it.

You need a 6032, Control 80, transformer and a programming track.

Put the loco on the track, press reset on the 6032 and search.

If the loco is compatible and everything is connected properly the address will be displayed.

Press stop on the Control 80, a bar appears on the 6032 display and you are ready to enter a value on the Control 80, press go and write it to the loco, it is the address.

Next press of stop and 2 bars is starting voltage, 3 is acceleration, 4 deceleration.

I believe the addresses can go up to 99 rather then 80 and the other variables 0 to 31.

If you cycle through the bars and press read the value will be displayed.

As an aside the control station which came with my 6032 speaks simple DCC of course and so will speak to a modern loksound 4.0 happily with lights and 4 functions. So Lights, driving sounds, whistle, bell and a station announcement or smoke can be available from a 1980's controller which makes me smile.

Time for a large gin.

Graham
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by gcanton
Offline kiwiAlan  
#9 Posted : 25 August 2019 21:22:43(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: gcanton Go to Quoted Post
Hello,

Apologies for being slow to reply, it is 2 versions before a 6021. I did find the kit to reprogramme the ancient decoders and the note below is a cut and paste. In terms of pulling power it is certainly 18-20 wagons without issue on Marklin gauge 1 curves, well lubricated and it does not do fast.

I have cracked it.

If the loco is compatible and everything is connected properly the address will be displayed.

Press stop on the Control 80, a bar appears on the 6032 display and you are ready to enter a value on the Control 80, press go and write it to the loco, it is the address.

Next press of stop and 2 bars is starting voltage, 3 is acceleration, 4 deceleration.

I believe the addresses can go up to 99 rather then 80 and the other variables 0 to 31.

As an aside the control station which came with my 6032 speaks simple DCC of course and so will speak to a modern loksound 4.0 happily with lights and 4 functions. So Lights, driving sounds, whistle, bell and a station announcement or smoke can be available from a 1980's controller which makes me smile.

Time for a large gin.

Graham

Ah, this is a very early version of a DCC decoder, it does not use MM format that the 6021 does.

Offline Janne75  
#10 Posted : 11 September 2019 19:59:11(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Hi Graham

Thank you very much for your instructions! I will try to find those ancient controllers to be able to program it later. Very well explained. ThumpUp

Cheers,
Janne

Originally Posted by: gcanton Go to Quoted Post
Hello,

I have cracked it.

Time for a large gin.

Graham

Offline Purellum  
#11 Posted : 11 September 2019 20:21:51(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

I will try to find those ancient controllers to be able to program it later.

I don't understand this Confused

Why not just buy a new decoder for this loco instead? Cool

With the old decoder it might work, with a new decoder it will work - and you get so much more BigGrin

Per.

Cool

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
Offline Janne75  
#12 Posted : 11 September 2019 20:35:11(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Originally Posted by: Purellum Go to Quoted Post
Cool

I will try to find those ancient controllers to be able to program it later.

I don't understand this Confused

Why not just buy a new decoder for this loco instead? Cool

With the old decoder it might work, with a new decoder it will work - and you get so much more BigGrin

Per.

Cool

Hi Per,

I want to have it with original decoder because this 5516 was made in limited series. I don’t know if it is collectable say after 30 years or so... probably not. Wink If I try to open this 5516 I will for 99% sure break something...

I’m totally happy with only that one sound as it is electric loco. Diesel and steam locos are better with sounds.

RollEyes

Cheers,
Janne
Offline Purellum  
#13 Posted : 11 September 2019 21:41:01(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

I don’t know if it is collectable say after 30 years or so... probably not. Wink

There are always some for sale on Ebay, and they cost only half of the price they sold for 10 years ago,
so even if never used and in perfect condition with original decoder, I don't think it's a sought after item. Cool

If I try to open this 5516 I will for 99% sure break something...

I’m totally happy with only that one sound as it is electric loco. Diesel and steam locos are better with sounds.

It's actually quite easy, I have had mine opened a few times.

I absolutely agree about the sounds; if I hadn't found that MFX-decoder on Ebay, I would probably just have installed a Lok-pilot. BigGrin

Of course, if you want to keep it original, then do so; I'm just thinking that the money you'll spend on the old
controllers could be much better spent on a new decoder.

I haven't done the conversion on mine yet; but when I do, I'll take pictures for you, and see if it's possible to do
a conversion as "plug-and-play", so you don't have to alter any of the original wires.

Per.

Cool

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline Janne75  
#14 Posted : 11 September 2019 21:53:57(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Thanks in advance Per! ThumpUp
Online river6109  
#15 Posted : 17 September 2019 02:55:25(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Good news

Edited by user 17 September 2019 20:36:06(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline Purellum  
#16 Posted : 17 September 2019 09:34:53(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
Märklin has produced a video of the Gauge I new French steam loco

I can't even afford to watch the video.......LOL

Per.

Cool

UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Purellum