Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline dickinsonj  
#51 Posted : 26 April 2019 15:45:55(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: amartinezv Go to Quoted Post

This Lok has the original DCM motor with the 3-pole rotor and a LokPilot v4 decoder with the permanent magnet

Nice videos Antonio - thanks for sharing. ThumpUp

DCM powered locos are strong pullers with lots of torque which might explain how well you BR 111 pulls. Am I seeing a trend where the new can motor locos don't pull as well, regardless of their weight?

It seems like some of your tests show that at least some locos push better than they pull, at least on your track. Is that what you are seeing? Maybe it is just the fact that when they push they don't have to cross any turnouts. I don't have any double slip turnouts yet but some of my locos really hate going through my three way turnouts.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
Offline amartinezv  
#52 Posted : 27 April 2019 10:27:08(UTC)
amartinezv

Spain   
Hello Jim

Thank you for your post

You have to take into account that in my model, and in the videos, what is inside the tunnel, where the trains leave, is a 180º curve and some S curves. The tests I'm doing are the start of the train being in these conditions, the locomotive must be able to move the train and that this does not derail, which in the background is the most difficult.
At first I thought it was possible for locomotives to push wagons more efficiently than drag them, taking into account that lateral forces in curves could behave better on those in compression couplings than in expansion.
However, although there are many cases where the locomotive pushes better than it pulls, there are more cases where the pulled train is bigger than the pushed one. I attach a photo of the excel sheet where I write down the results, "arrastrar" means pull, and "empujar" means push

pull_vs_push.jpg

As for the comparison between DCM motors and "Can" type motors, for now it seems that yes, DCM and other classic märklin motors have more power. But it can not be said that this is bad, I think that the classic engines of marklin have too much power, in the next report, which is the BR 55, 37554, you will see the big difference compared to this 3155.
I'm still looking for a relationship between what is capable of moving a locomotive and some of its features, and maybe the type of engine is decisive, I have to study it.

best regards

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator
Antonio Martínez
marklin, IB, era 3, Train controller
www.raildigital.es/davidruso
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by amartinezv
Offline amartinezv  
#53 Posted : 02 May 2019 08:54:17(UTC)
amartinezv

Spain   

Hello everyone, good morning

The next locomotive is the BR 55, 37554, with a weight of 370 gr, this locomotive is very smooth in its operation and is equipped with a bell motor, it also has 4 traction tyres, I expected much more but it has not been like that.

Its features are:
Weight: 370 gr
axle arrangement: D
drive axles: 4
weight-bearing axles: 4
axles with traction tyres: 2
weight/axle: 93 gr
Adhesive weight: 231 gr
Motor type: Bell shaped armature, Can motor

The test results are:
R1 pulling: 19 cars, train weight: 1452 gr
[YOUTUBE]
[/YOUTUBE]

R1 pushing: 19 cars, train weight: 1452 gr
[YOUTUBE]
[/YOUTUBE]

R2 Pulling: 19 cars, train weight: 1452 gr
[YOUTUBE]
[/YOUTUBE]

R2 Pushing: 21 cars, train weight: 1806 gr
[YOUTUBE]
[/YOUTUBE]

And now some graphics, the horizontal axis is the catalog number of the locomotives, I'm somewhat puzzled because I expected to find some pattern of behavior, and it does not seem that there is, in the graph are the locomotives with special engines (DC Can motor, Faulhaber, Bell-shaped etc) tested so far

37554-1.jpg

37554-2.jpg

Best regards
Antonio Martínez
Offline Goofy  
#54 Posted : 02 May 2019 10:41:06(UTC)
Goofy

There is a problem with your test what i see in the videos.
You have s-curves where the train set are pulling.
It makes lost of the tractive power.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline amartinezv  
#55 Posted : 03 May 2019 10:34:22(UTC)
amartinezv

Spain   
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
There is a problem with your test what i see in the videos.
You have s-curves where the train set are pulling.
It makes lost of the tractive power.

Hello Goofy and everyone,

But S-curves are not a problem, it's my layout, and it can't be any other way, also in my layout there are too many straight lines and some visible curve is fine.
Obviously these tests are subjective and the results can't be applied directly to another layout or another locomotive, but it's what I have and what I can do.
Now if one of my locomotives say the A is capable of pulling many wagons than the B, if you also have this locomotive probably the A will pull more wagons than the B, although your installation is different from mine.
Soon I will do the test of the 39567, the Kroko Insider.

Best regards
Antonio Martínez
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by amartinezv
Offline dickinsonj  
#56 Posted : 03 May 2019 13:02:38(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   

But S-curves are not a problem, it's my layout, and it can't be any other way...

I agree. You are examining how various locos run on your layout and making comparisons. All MRR layouts have compromises to make them fit into available spaces, and yours is no different.

Keep up the good work and keep posting your videos, I am finding them very interesting myself.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline Goofy  
#57 Posted : 04 May 2019 10:25:52(UTC)
Goofy

Yes but the s-curvers makes lost of tractive power anyway what matter of the layout looks like.
The longer train set in the s-curves the more lost of tractive power.
Because it makes locomotive work harder.
But i like your videos and you test good. ThumpUp
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline amartinezv  
#58 Posted : 04 May 2019 21:01:48(UTC)
amartinezv

Spain   

Hello everyone

We continue with another locomotive only 5 gr heavier than the previous one, with 375 gr we have the E 70, in blue livery, reference 3748, the Bavarian kroko. This locomotive has a curious history, it was 1996 or 1997 and in a shop in Madrid I could get a good price for the 3448, the owner told me it was delta, and I thought that later I could upgrade to 6090, so after saving a little, I bought it. When I arrived at my house and went to test it I found that it was not delta, but analog, with an electronic inverter and also could not install a normal 6090 decoder for various reasons. Anger. And back to the store, the owner did not believe it, had to call the importer of märklin in Spain and everything was clarified. I made an agreement with him and took another locomotive with me. Some time later in 1998 I saw in another store the 3748 and it was expensive, I had to save and wait for Christmas and I bought it. This locomotive the 3748 is made in collaboration with Trix, carries a DC can motor, which transmits movement to one of the bogies, carries a special 6090 decoder.

Its features are:
Weight: 375 gr
axle arrangement: B’ B’
drive axles: 2
weight/axle: 94 gr
Adhesive weight: 188 gr (2*92)
Motor type: DC Can motor + special 6090 decoder

The test results are:
R1 pulling: 12 cars, train weight: 1034 gr
[YOUTUBE]
[/YOUTUBE]

R1 pushing: 10 cars, train weight: 962 gr
[YOUTUBE]
[/YOUTUBE]

R2 Pulling: 12 cars, train weight: 1034 gr
[YOUTUBE]
[/YOUTUBE]

R2 Pushing: 10 cars, train weight: 962 gr
[YOUTUBE]
[/YOUTUBE]

And now some graphics, the horizontal axis is the catalog number of the locomotives, with special motors, like DC Can, faulhaber, bell shaped etc.
tested so far

3748-1.jpg

3748-2.jpg

Best regards
Antonio Martínez
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by amartinezv
Offline utkan  
#59 Posted : 05 May 2019 20:02:13(UTC)
utkan

Turkey   
That tiny blue crocodile looks great, as usual...Love
Do unto others, as you would have them do unto you...
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by utkan
Offline amartinezv  
#60 Posted : 06 May 2019 09:47:38(UTC)
amartinezv

Spain   

The next locomotive is the BR 38, 37030, this locomotive is equipped with a bell motor that is located in the boiler, this makes the weight of the locomotive concentrate in the center, on the first two drive axles, and the consequence is that the third drive axle, the last, which is under the cabin, and which carries the traction tyres, has a certain tendency to lose grip. Otherwise the locomotive has a very smooth and silent operation.

Its features are:
Weight: 378 gr
axle arrangement: 2’ C
weight-bearing axles: 3
axles with traction tyres: 1
weight/axle: 126 gr
Adhesive weight: 158 gr
Motor type: DC Bell-shaped motor

The test results are:
R1 pulling: 10 cars, train weight: 962 gr
[YOUTUBE]
[/YOUTUBE]

R1 pushing: 8 cars, train weight: 644 gr
[YOUTUBE]
[/YOUTUBE]

R2 Pulling: 8 cars, train weight: 644 gr
[YOUTUBE]
[/YOUTUBE]

R2 Pushing: 8 cars, train weight: 644 gr
[YOUTUBE]
[/YOUTUBE]

And now some graphics, comparing locomotives with special engines tested so far.

37030-1.jpg
37030-2.jpg

Best regards
Antonio Martínez
Offline dickinsonj  
#61 Posted : 06 May 2019 14:49:31(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   

The next locomotive is the BR 38, 37030, this locomotive is equipped with a bell motor that is located in the boiler, this makes the weight of the locomotive concentrate in the center, on the first two drive axles, and the consequence is that the third drive axle, the last, which is under the cabin, and which carries the traction tyres, has a certain tendency to lose grip. Otherwise the locomotive has a very smooth and silent operation.

More interesting information - thanks Antonio!

When your BR 38 pauses in the series of turnouts do you think that is an electrical problem or a traction problem? It reminds me a bit of the electrical problems that some of my locos have when crossing my C track turnouts.

I am finding the differences in operation of your locos quite interesting and it shows that there is more than weight and motor involved in how well a loco pulls.
Regards,
Jim

Offline amartinezv  
#62 Posted : 06 May 2019 21:36:28(UTC)
amartinezv

Spain   
Hello

Quote:

When your BR 38 pauses in the series of turnouts do you think that is an electrical problem or a traction problem? It reminds me a bit of the electrical problems that some of my locos have when crossing my C track turnouts.

It's a electrical problem, the lok goes at low speed and passing through the turnouts is a bit of a problem. Running normally goes without a hitch

Quote:
I am finding the differences in operation of your locos quite interesting and it shows that there is more than weight and motor involved in how well a loco pulls.

Yes, there seem to be many factors influencing it, I would like to draw some conclusion from all of this. Well I've already drawn some, for example that my tracks are laid worse than I thought

Best regards
Antonio Martínez
Offline dickinsonj  
#63 Posted : 07 May 2019 01:42:44(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   

It's a electrical problem, the lok goes at low speed and passing through the turnouts is a bit of a problem. Running normally goes without a hitch

I have just recently discovered that my similar problem with C trach turnouts is caused by some sliders. Some of them, even on new locos or coaches are not flat but are bent slightly upward (away from the track) in the middle. If I bend them to be perfectly flat that problem has gone away on all of the ones that I have worked on so far. I always assumed that they must be fine when they are new but I now know that is not true!

I look forward to learning more about your traction testing and what conclusions you can draw. I think that a lot of us have track that could be a bit better to run our trains on than we had thought, but as always compromises have to be made.
Regards,
Jim

Offline amartinezv  
#64 Posted : 08 May 2019 13:57:32(UTC)
amartinezv

Spain   

Hello everyone

The next locomotive is the V 80, märklin 36080, with a weight of 380 gr, this locomotive was one of the first of the new series of locomotives "cheap", has a special decoder but with load regulation, a central motor with traction to all axles and is completely metallic, it is also very detailed, since I bought it is in the layout working. Only one defect, passing through some turnouts, the pick-up shoe lifts the bogie on which it is mounted, this produces that if the locomotive goes at low speed loses grip and contact with the track, and stops, but at normal speeds is not noticeable.

Its features are:
Weight: 380 gr
weight/axle: 95 gr
Adhesive weight: 238 gr
Motor type: DC Can motor

The test results are:
R1 pulling: 13 cars, train weight: 1234 gr
[YOUTUBE]
[/YOUTUBE]

R1 pushing: 11 cars, train weight: 930 gr
[YOUTUBE]
[/YOUTUBE]

R2 Pulling: 15 cars, train weight: 1488 gr
[YOUTUBE]
[/YOUTUBE]

R2 Pushing: 12 cars, train weight: 1034 gr
[YOUTUBE]
[/YOUTUBE]

And now some graphics, the horizontal axis is the catalog number of the locomotives, with special motors, like DC Can, faulhaber, bell shaped etc.

36080-1.jpg

36080-2.jpg

Best regards
Antonio Martínez
Offline amartinezv  
#65 Posted : 11 May 2019 17:57:30(UTC)
amartinezv

Spain   
Hello everyone

The next locomotive with 382 gr is a classic märklin, the 3032, a very heavy locomotive for how small it is. But it really only relies on the extreme axles, this means that to connect to the electrical ground there are only two wheels and when there is a detection track we have only one wheel for contact (I have installed the diode trick in the detection tracks but it does not help much), this makes it very sensitive to power cuts. (It helps to tow a metal train because the whole train through the metal hooks help with the ground connection). It is digitized with a LokPilot.

Its features are:
Weight: 382 gr
axle arrangement: D
weight-bearing axles: 2
weight/axle: 191 gr
Adhesive weight: 239 gr
Motor type: SFCM

The test results are:
R1 pulling: 15 cars, train weight: 1488 gr
[YOUTUBE]
[/YOUTUBE]

R1 pushing: 11 cars, train weight: 930 gr
[YOUTUBE]
[/YOUTUBE]

R2 Pulling: 15 cars, train weight: 1488 gr with problems
[YOUTUBE]
[/YOUTUBE]

R2 Pushing: 13 cars, train weight: 1234 gr
[YOUTUBE]
[/YOUTUBE]

And now some graphics, comparing locomotives with SFCM engines tested so far.

3032-1.jpg

3032-2.jpg

Best regards
Antonio Martínez
Offline amartinezv  
#66 Posted : 14 May 2019 11:22:16(UTC)
amartinezv

Spain   

Hello everyone

Today we are going to see the BR 65, märklin 39650, the second lok insider of 2018, a model desired and awaited by many fans. The locomotive itself is a marvel of details and the operation is very smooth, the sounds are also very good, but I was a little disappointed in some respects. The locomotive has problems to pass through normal turnouts of track K and M, it stops and in some cases remains blocked, I must look at this later in detail, and the two bogies seem to have a lot of freedom of movement are easily out of the way, there are times when the locomotive hitch when driving through curves of R1 rubs or pushes the wheels of the bogie making this derailleur. I also have to look at this in more detail. On the other hand the traction results I expected better but they are not bad either.

Its features are:
Weight: 388 gr
axle arrangement: 1’D2’
weight-bearing axles: 6
weight/axle: 65 gr
Adhesive weight: 113 gr
Motor type: DC Can motor

The test results are:
R1 pulling: 17 cars, train weight: 1560 gr
[YOUTUBE]
[/YOUTUBE]

R1 pushing: 14 cars, train weight: 1352 gr
[YOUTUBE]
[/YOUTUBE]

R2 Pulling: 10 cars, train weight: 962 gr
[YOUTUBE]
[/YOUTUBE]

R2 Pushing: 10 cars, train weight: 962 gr
[YOUTUBE] [/YOUTUBE]

Additionally with the Silberlinge passenger cars made of sheet metal, with a weight of 580gr.

[YOUTUBE]
[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]
[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]
[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]
[/YOUTUBE]

And now some graphics, the horizontal axis is the catalog number of the locomotives, with special motors, like DC Can, faulhaber, bell shaped etc. tested so far.

39650-1.jpg

39650-2.jpg

Best regards
Antonio Martínez
Offline amartinezv  
#67 Posted : 19 May 2019 10:08:41(UTC)
amartinezv

Spain   
Hello everyone

The next locomotive with 400 gr of weight, is the V140 märklin 34210, this locomotive is entirely of metal and originally brought a delta decoder, but the result was not satisfactory, and I contacted Huib Maaskants because he had an article of the conversion of the Trix model of this locomotive, and I converted my 34210 to 5 pole motor and decoder Lokpilot v3, to know more about this click here.

Its features are:
Weight: 400 gr
axle arrangement: 1’C1’
weight/axle: 100 gr
Adhesive weight: 125 gr
Motor type: DCM 5 poles

The test results are:
R1 pulling: 17 cars, train weight: 1842 gr
[YOUTUBE]
[/YOUTUBE]

R1 pushing: 10 cars, train weight: 1372 gr
[YOUTUBE]
[/YOUTUBE]

R2 Pulling: 24 cars, train weight: 2682 gr
[YOUTUBE]
[/YOUTUBE]

R2 Pushing: 17 cars, train weight: 1842 gr
[YOUTUBE]
[/YOUTUBE]

And now some graphics, the horizontal axis is the catalog number of the locomotives, with DCM motors tested so far.

34210-1.jpg

34210-2.jpg

Best regards
Antonio Martínez
Offline amartinezv  
#68 Posted : 23 May 2019 10:39:56(UTC)
amartinezv

Spain   
Hello everyone

The next locomotive is the BR 216, märklin 3374, this locomotive was initially delta, but as I did not like its performance I changed the engine to a 5-pole and installed a LokPilot decoder. I expected that the results of the test were going to be better, the characteristics of my model limit much the performance of this locomotive, dragging wagons in the section of R1, when leaving the curve in S begins to skate and I have not found way to avoid it, can drag more wagons but in that stretch of track slides, is a reality. And something similar has also happened to her pulling in the section of R2.
In the normal circulation of my layout (on the right) the slope in R2 (outside) is used to go down, and the R1 (inside to go up) this might seem an inconvenience really is not, because in the tests you can see that the results are better in R1 than in R2, in general for almost all locomotives.

Its features are:
Weight: 400 gr
weight/axle: 100 gr
Adhesive weight: 200 gr

The test results are:
R1 pulling: 9 cars, train weight: 1242 gr
[YOUTUBE]
[/YOUTUBE]

R1 pushing: 10 cars, train weight: 1328 gr
[YOUTUBE]
[/YOUTUBE]

R2 Pulling: 10 cars, train weight: 1328 gr
[YOUTUBE]
[/YOUTUBE]

R2 Pushing: 9 cars, train weight: 1242 gr
[YOUTUBE]
[/YOUTUBE]

And now some graphics, the horizontal axis is the catalog number of the locomotives with DCM motors tested so far

3374-1.jpg

3374-2.jpg

Best regards
Antonio Martínez
Offline amartinezv  
#69 Posted : 17 June 2019 20:16:14(UTC)
amartinezv

Spain   
39567 1st part
Hello everyone

Several weeks ago I uploaded the last test, I have not forgotten this thread, quite the contrary, I have been doing many tests. This has begun with the tests of the kroko insider of 2018, the Ce 6/8 #39567, it must be said that this locomotive is a wonder, the amount of details that makes it unique, in addition it is equipped with two engines, each in one of the bogies, and has many, 28, functions, most sound, but also raise the pantograph, telex couplings, lights and sounds. The traction tires are in middle axle of the bogies. The ride is smooth and quiet. It is a must.

Its features are:
Weight: 406gr
axle arrangement: (1’C)(C1’)
drive axles: 6
weight-bearing axles: 8
axles with traction tires: 2
weight/axle: 51 gr
Adhesive weight: 152 gr
Motor type: DC can motor

It pulled about 20 cars through the section of R1, however I did not record it on video and when I went to repeat the test the locomotive began to skate at the exit of the curves in S of R1, I removed one car and another and another until you get to 12, and this is the video
R1 pulling: 12 cars, train weight: 1602 gr
[YOUTUBE]
[/YOUTUBE]

In R2 I had more luck and I recorded all the attempts, however I had many problems, wagons with short hitches and short hitch kinematics, stretched this mechanism dangerously and for example rheingold cars derailed me several times, I had to be moving the relative positions of the wagons inside the train and make very smooth starts, you can see the video

R2 Pulling: 22 cars
[YOUTUBE]
[/YOUTUBE]

I also had power cuts where before the locomotive had passed perfectly, the maximum number of wagons was 24, a train with a weight of 3106 grams and a length of 410 centimeters.

R2 Pulling: 24 cars, train weight: 3106 gr, with a train length of 410 cm
[YOUTUBE]
[/YOUTUBE]

This has made me rethink these tests, until now I had used the wagons that I currently have in the layout. But I realized that mixing short couplings with the relex couplings of marklin does not seem a good idea, and also that the elasticity of the short couplings of marklin is not good for these tests. So I have chosen the 46xx series wagons of märklin as well as the 24 cm cars, they weigh quite a lot and I think they offer good circulation characteristics, and I am currently testing with this material. I have to choose carefully the position of each wagon inside the train, but I have managed not to derail, then you have a video with the locomotive 39567 dragging a train of 18 wagons on the section in R1, and can with more!
[YOUTUBE]
[/YOUTUBE]

It will continue...

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

Best regards

Edited by user 18 June 2019 14:18:37(UTC)  | Reason: correct some data

Antonio Martínez
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by amartinezv
Offline utkan  
#70 Posted : 17 June 2019 20:51:44(UTC)
utkan

Turkey   
Hi Antonio,
Your videos have been a great remedy for me during my stay in hospital...I owe you a lot...ThumpUp
Cheers,
mehmet
Do unto others, as you would have them do unto you...
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by utkan
Offline river6109  
#71 Posted : 18 June 2019 03:06:08(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Antonio,
Its a dismal weight of 402g, you would think its all made of metal the weight would be higher., also 4 drive axles what happened with the other 2 ?

most layouts couldn't accommodate longer trains so it looks like the trend for manufacturers to produce heavy freight locos is a myth, as in your case its a shunting loco so it could be used as an excuse. its nice to know the details are impressive, I wish one day they can put all important parts into 1 loco, weight, traction tyres and details.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline amartinezv  
#72 Posted : 18 June 2019 14:21:51(UTC)
amartinezv

Spain   
Originally Posted by: utkan Go to Quoted Post
Hi Antonio,
Your videos have been a great remedy for me during my stay in hospital...I owe you a lot...ThumpUp
Cheers,
mehmet

Hello Mehmet

I didn't know you were at the hospital, I hope and wish you a speedy recovery. I also like your publications very much.

Best regards
Antonio Martínez
Offline dickinsonj  
#73 Posted : 18 June 2019 15:10:47(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
its nice to know the details are impressive, I wish one day they can put all important parts into 1 loco, weight, traction tyres and details.
John

That model has nicer detailing than my 2014 double set of crocs but it is quite similar mechanically. The prototypes dictate the small size of the models and even though mine have cast metal chassis and bodies they do not weigh a lot, which necessarily limits their traction. I compensate by running my crocs as a multi unit consist although that option is not a solution in most cases. On the other hand my Big Boy and Challenger are based upon massive prototypes and they have high adhesive weight and amazing traction.

In HO scale there is a finite limit to just how heavy a loco can be, regardless of the materials used to make it. I think that the real lesson is that your track needs to be laid as well as possible and provide an environment conducive to good running, regardless of the tractive abilities of your models.
Regards,
Jim

Offline amartinezv  
#74 Posted : 18 June 2019 17:27:40(UTC)
amartinezv

Spain   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
Antonio,
Its a dismal weight of 402g, you would think its all made of metal the weight would be higher., also 4 drive axles what happened with the other 2 ?

John

Hello

I weighed the locomotive again and obtained a result of 406 grams.

20190618_110418.jpg

As for the axles of each bogie, I was wrong, and all axles are supported on the track, therefore has 6 axles with traction, in addition the grip rings are on the central axis, I have corrected the previous post data.
I will be out for the next few days, when I come back I will continue with the tests.

Best regards

Antonio Martínez
Offline amartinezv  
#75 Posted : 01 September 2019 18:24:13(UTC)
amartinezv

Spain   

39567 2nd part

Hello everyone

I continued testing the 39567, and I had some problems that I had to solve, some in relation to the high temperatures we have in Madrid and others of a general nature.

In the R1 section I managed to get the locomotive to drag 21 wagons with a weight of 3545 gr. and a train length of 5.05 meters.

The locomotive has the necessary power to pull that and more, the fundamental problem is that the wagons derail in the slope in curve R1, the track was a little superelevated and I have tried to level it, but it has not improved the situation.

I also found contact failures between the locomotive and the track and the consequent stops of the locomotive, this is not new, but after cleaning the track, the locomotive sometimes skids and this falsifies the result.

On the other hand, if the train derails due to its weight and length, this fact makes me question these tests, since this locomotive is not the heaviest, there are still many and heavier to test, but the result I know what will be, train derailment. I can look for other wagons, inside my collection, to see if they don't derail, but this makes the tests, and these mails are spaced in time. A dynamometer would be fine but I don't have one and I don't want to buy one.

it will continue

Best regards
Antonio Martínez
Offline amartinezv  
#76 Posted : 10 September 2019 10:52:56(UTC)
amartinezv

Spain   

I've been doing more tests with the 39567 in the R2 section, and well, the wagons don't derail me due to the lateral force in the curves, but nevertheless the locomotive, from time to time, and for no apparent reason, skates. Both the wheels and the track are perfectly clean.
So this is the final result for this locomotive, 21 wagons on the section in R2.

This train weighs 3545 gr and measures 5,05 meters, which is a little more than what the ramp measures, so there is always a part of the train in plain.

Next Locomotive, märklin 3039.

Best regards
Antonio Martínez
Offline amartinezv  
#77 Posted : 15 September 2019 08:42:39(UTC)
amartinezv

Spain   
3039 Märklin BR 110

Today we are going to see the märklin version of the BR 110, the 3039, a classic that began to be manufactured in the 60s and of which many copies have been produced. It's a robust, elegant locomotive that never gives problems that circulates well on all tracks and can with (almost) everything. The locomotive was initially analogue but I digitalised it with a 5-pole motor and a LokPilot decoder. The loco was manufactured in 1978 but I bought it in 1998.

Its features are:
Weight: 425 gr
weight/axle: 106 gr
Adhesive weight: 212 gr
Motor type: DCM 5 polos

3039 pulling a train of 10 wagons with a weight of 1300 gr. in R1 slope
[YOUTUBE]
[/YOUTUBE]

3039 pulling a train of 10 cars with a weight of 1300 grams in a R2 slope
[YOUTUBE]
[/YOUTUBE]

3039 pushing a train of 11 cars with a weight of 1450 gr in R1 slope
[YOUTUBE]
[/YOUTUBE]

3039 pushing a train of 9 cars with a weight of 1150 grams in R2 slope and some difficulties, he needed a little help
[YOUTUBE]
[/YOUTUBE]

Best regards

Edited by user 15 September 2019 18:24:31(UTC)  | Reason: wrong video, add some data

Antonio Martínez
Offline amartinezv  
#78 Posted : 17 September 2019 10:43:05(UTC)
amartinezv

Spain   

3156 Märklin BR 140
Hello everyone

Today we have to the 3156, model of the BR 140, a locomotive practically equal to the 3039, the only difference is the color. My locomotive was factory equipped with a DCM motor, and I digitalised it with a 6090 kit, i.e. the 5-pole motor and a 6090 decoder. It has a very smooth operation and is very silent, the result of traction tests are very similar to those of the 3039, although somewhat higher, it may be that the traction tyres of this locomotive are in better condition than those of the 3039.

Its features are:
Weight: 425 gr
weight/axle: 106 gr
Adhesive weight: 212 gr

3156 pulling a train of 13 wagons with a weight of 1588 gr. in R1 slope
[YOUTUBE]
[/YOUTUBE]

3156 pulling a train of 14 cars with a weight of 1760 grams in a R2 slope
[YOUTUBE]
[/YOUTUBE]

3156 pushing a train of 12 cars with a weight of 1418 gr in R1 slope
[YOUTUBE]
[/YOUTUBE]

3156 pushing a train of 13 cars with a weight of 1560 grams in R2 slope and some difficulties, he needed a little help
[YOUTUBE]
[/YOUTUBE]

and some graphics

3156_1.jpg3156_2.jpg

Best regards
Antonio Martínez
Offline amartinezv  
#79 Posted : 24 September 2019 21:05:46(UTC)
amartinezv

Spain   

37661 Märklin E 52

Hello everyone

Today we have this locomotive, the E 52, model märklin 37661, is a fairly long locomotive and the two bogies pivot on its outer ends, while the bogies of both ends, move laterally and pivot about its center. The locomotive with plastic body comes from factory with DCM motor of 5 poles and a decoder of the type 60901, has as auxiliary function the whistle.

Its features are:
Weight: 452 gr
axle arrangement: 2’ B’B’ 2’
weight/axle: 113 gr
Adhesive weight: 226 gr

37661 pulling a train of 12 wagons with a weight of 1418 gr. in R1 slope
[YOUTUBE]
[/YOUTUBE]

37661 pulling a train of 11 cars with a weight of 1360 grams in a R2 slope
[YOUTUBE]
[/YOUTUBE]

37661 pushing a train of 11 cars with a weight of 1360 gr in R1 slope
[YOUTUBE]
[/YOUTUBE]

37661 pushing a train of 13 cars with a weight of 1560 grams in R2 slope and some difficulties, he needed a little help
[YOUTUBE]
[/YOUTUBE]

And some graphics
37661_1.jpg

37661_2.jpg

Best regards

Antonio Martínez
Offline amartinezv  
#80 Posted : 28 September 2019 21:18:45(UTC)
amartinezv

Spain   

3518 Märklin BR 18.4

Hello everyone

Today we have this locomotive, the BR 18.4, model märklin 3518, this locomotive has a rolling 2'C1', and originally it was analogical with 5 pole motor and an electronic circuitry that allowed it to have the maximum speed and adjustable inertia, when the 6090 decoders came out I thought it was time to digitize it and I installed one of these kits of motorization and digitization, so currently the locomotive has a DCM motor of 5 poles and a 6090 decoder. The locomotive has a very smooth running but less power than I thought.

Its features are:
Weight: 475 gr
axle arrangement: 2’C1’
axles with traction tires: 1
weight/axle: 119 gr
Adhesive weight: 148 gr

3518 pulling a train of 13 wagons with a weight of 1588 gr. in R1 slope
[YOUTUBE]
[/YOUTUBE]

3518 pulling a train of 13 cars with a weight of 1588 grams in a R2 slope
[YOUTUBE]
[/YOUTUBE]

3518 pushing a train of 10 cars with a weight of 1120 gr in R1 slope
[YOUTUBE]
[/YOUTUBE]

3518 pushing a train of 10 cars with a weight of 1120 grams in R2 slope
[YOUTUBE]
[/YOUTUBE]

Best regards
Antonio Martínez
Offline kiwiAlan  
#81 Posted : 28 September 2019 22:45:31(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

3518 Märklin BR 18.4
The locomotive has a very smooth running but less power than I thought.

When you digitised it did you also change the armature? The 5 pole armature in the 35xx series analogue locos is quite different windings to the 5 pole armature used in digital conversions. If you didn't replace it that may account for a lack of power, although not replacing it tended to burn out the decoder as it is quite low resistance.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline amartinezv  
#82 Posted : 30 September 2019 08:32:34(UTC)
amartinezv

Spain   

Hello, good morning

Yes, when I digitalized the locomotive with the 6090 kit, I changed the armature or rotor.
Then I was testing that 5-pole rotor on other locomotives, with pretty bad results, and I definitely discarded it.

Best regards
Antonio Martínez
Offline amartinezv  
#83 Posted : 03 October 2019 19:48:37(UTC)
amartinezv

Spain   

37061 Märklin BR E17

Hello everyone

Today we tested the locomotive märklin 37061 reproduction of BR E17, this locomotive was model insider 2011, and has some particular features, the skate is located under cabin 2, and when it goes forward takes cabin 2 to the front, therefore reverse the cabin that goes ahead is 1, this feature has other locomotives such as 3768 (E18) and BR 216 (3374), but it is something I have never known why it was so.

Another thing that has nothing to do with traction but that has missed me, is that although the locomotive has two sounds, whistle and engine fans, it only has one sound channel, this means that if we carry the noise of the fans (engine) activated and give the whistle, in what is sounding the whistle the fans stop and are not heard, which seems to me, in a locomotive insider, a botched, in 2011 and long before there was enough technology for the decoder to have several sound channels.

In addition the 37061 E17 which looks a lot like the E18 3768, has the same length, and the same rolling, is much lighter, and I have found a certain tendency to skate, also when pushing a train the front guide axle (depending on the direction of travel) tends to rise, and rises, making the locomotive derail when it reaches a curve.

Its features are:
Weight: 475 gr
axle arrangement: 1’Do’1’
weight/axle: 119 gr
Adhesive weight: 238 gr
Motor type: DC can motor

37061 pulling a train of 15 wagons with a weight of 1900 gr. in R1 slope
[YOUTUBE]
[/YOUTUBE]

37061 pulling a train of 18 cars with a weight of 2350 grams in a R2 slope
[YOUTUBE]
[/YOUTUBE]

37061 pushing a train of 10 cars with a weight of 1150 gr in R1 slope
[YOUTUBE]
[/YOUTUBE]

37061 pushing a train of 14 cars with a weight of 1750 grams in R2 slope
[YOUTUBE]
[/YOUTUBE]

And some graphics

37061-1.jpg

37061-2.jpg

Best regards

Antonio Martínez
Offline dickinsonj  
#84 Posted : 04 October 2019 03:55:20(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Why some Märklin locos run with cab #2 forward has long been confusing to me as well Antonio.

There may very well be an explanation that makes perfect sense but I have yet to find it.

Perhaps someone here can provide an answer.
Regards,
Jim

Offline amartinezv  
#85 Posted : 10 October 2019 19:36:19(UTC)
amartinezv

Spain   

39562 Märklin Ce 6/8 III SBB
Hello everyone
Today we tested the locomotive märklin 39562 reproduction of Ce 6/8 III SBB, is a brown crocodile, is equipped with a Soft-drive sinus motor, has traction in one of the bogies, the results have been quite good, although they have not set any record, dragging wagons has been able to start and pull many but when arriving at the area of turnouts entrance to the station skidded, and this has been what marked its limit. On the other hand when pushing the train some cars derailed.

Its features are:
Weight: 478 gr
axle arrangement: (1’C’) (C’1’)
weight/axle: 120 gr
Adhesive weight: 239 gr
Motor type: Soft drive sinus motor

39562 pulling a train of 14 wagons with a weight of 1750 gr. in R1 slope
[YOUTUBE]
[/YOUTUBE]

39562 pulling a train of 17 cars with a weight of 2200 grams in a R2 slope
[YOUTUBE]
[/YOUTUBE]

39562 pushing a train of 13 cars with a weight of 1600 gr in R1 slope
[YOUTUBE]
[/YOUTUBE]

39562 pushing a train of 13 cars with a weight of 1600 grams in R2 slope
[YOUTUBE]
[/YOUTUBE]

and now some graphics

39650-1.jpg 39650-2.jpg

Best regards
Antonio Martínez
Offline amartinezv  
#86 Posted : 31 October 2019 23:21:10(UTC)
amartinezv

Spain   

3021 Märklin V 200 DB

Hello everyone,
this time the locomotive to test is the V200 DB, the märklin 3021 version 12 of Kolls, a classic märklin, which has really behaved very well in the tests, during these the locomotive has been able to start on the slopes of both R1 and R2 with all the wagons that I have put, the limit of these wagons has been because in R1 the wagons derailed by the tension of the train, as much pulling as pushing, and in R2 when the locomotive arrived at the zone of turnouts of the station it skated, in the case that it was pulling, and derailed wagons when it pushed. I have tried to improve all the curve that forms the ramp, but I don't have space and I should make many modifications. It's not possible. So I start to find a limit for the towed train, not by the power of the locomotive but by the geometry of my installation. The locomotive 3021 has an LFCM engine and is digitalized with a 6080 decoder, and works quite well, starts in step 2 and the speed is regulated smoothly, what does happen is that in the downhill slopes is accelerated a lot and in the uphill slopes is braked, normal.

Its features are:
Weight: 484 gr
weight/axle: 121 gr
Adhesive weight: 242 gr
Motor type: LFCM with 6080

3021 pulling a train of 17 wagons with a weight of 1200 gr. in R1 slope
[YOUTUBE]
[/YOUTUBE]

3021 pulling a train of 21 cars with a weight of 2800 grams in a R2 slope and a length of 518 cm
[YOUTUBE]
[/YOUTUBE]

3021 pushing a train of 14 cars with a weight of 1750 gr in R1 slope
[YOUTUBE]
[/YOUTUBE]

3021 pushing a train of 14 cars with a weight of 1750 grams in R2 slope
[YOUTUBE]
[/YOUTUBE]

And now some graphic
3021.jpg

Best regards
Antonio Martínez
Offline amartinezv  
#87 Posted : 08 November 2019 09:45:32(UTC)
amartinezv

Spain   

37967 Märklin Mallet Gt 2x4/4
Hello everyone, this time the locomotive to test is the Mallet Gt 2x4/4, the märklin 37967, This locomotive has always given me a feeling of power, the real model was intended to tow heavy goods trains and work on lines with steep slopes, the märklin model conveys that feeling, and well I think it has. In this locomotive the two central axles of each cart have a spring that pushes them against the tracks, so the weight and traction are distributed among all the axles to a greater or lesser extent.

Its features are:
Weight: 490 gr

axle arrangement: D’ D
weight-bearing axles: 8
weight/axle: 61 gr
Adhesive weight: 153 gr
Motor type: DCM 5 poles with mfx decoder

37967 pulling a train of 12 wagons with a weight of 1450 gr. in R1 slope
[YOUTUBE]
[/YOUTUBE]

37967 pulling a train of 15 cars with a weight of 1900 grams in a R2 slope
[YOUTUBE]
[/YOUTUBE]

37967 pushing a train of 11 cars with a weight of 1300 gr in R1 slope
[YOUTUBE [/YOUTUBE]

37967 pushing a train of 11 cars with a weight of 1300 grams in R2 slope
[YOUTUBE]
[/YOUTUBE]

And some graphics

37967_1.jpg37967_2.jpg

Best regards
Antonio Martínez
Offline amartinezv  
#88 Posted : 06 December 2019 09:24:52(UTC)
amartinezv

Spain   

Hello everyone,
today we tested the reproduction of the BR 10 of märklín reference 37080, this locomotive was the first to incorporate steam sounds and was the insider model of 2000. It's the only Pacific locomotive I own. I've had many problems to perform the tests, the two adhesion rings were broken and when they were changed or broken the wheels on both sides were desynchronized, so the locomotive was swinging laterally, I had a hard time finding the problem and solve it. On the other hand each time it becomes more evident that my layout is the one that marks the limits of traction, more than the locomotive itself, the wagons derail by the lateral force in the curve especially in the R1, so I'm thinking of abandoning this project, the locomotive has more than enough force to pull a train of 5.5 meters long and a weight of almost 3 kg. I haven't done any pushing tests as the locomotive doesn't have front couplings.

Its characteristics are:

Weight: 490 gr (only the locomotive)
axle arrangement: 2'C1'.
axles supporting weight: 4
axles with traction tires
weight/axle: 123 gr
Adhesive weight: 153 gr
Motor type: DCM 5-pole decoder type 60902

The results have been:

Dragging in R1, 17 cars with a weight of 2200 gr
[YOUTUBE]
[/YOUTUBE]

Dragging in R2, 22 cars with a weight of 2950 gr and a train length of 5.5 meters
[YOUTUBE]
[/YOUTUBE]

Greetings
Antonio Martínez
Offline amartinezv  
#89 Posted : 31 December 2019 11:19:40(UTC)
amartinezv

Spain   

Hello, good morning,

Today, the last day of the year, we tested the 3742, this locomotive totally metallic, and with many details, it has been and is one of my favorite locomotives, I bought it in Mannheim (Germany) in one of my trips, it has always worked perfectly, I expected a traction effort according to its weight and... sincerely it has disappointed me, it has dragged much less wagons than I expected, even in flat starts it has skidded, it has left me very surprised.

Its characteristics are:
Weight: 500 gr
axle arrangement: B' B'
weight bearing axles: 4
axles with traction tyres
weight/axle: 125 gr
Adhesive weight: 250 gr
Motor type: DCM 5-pole decoder type 6090

The results have been
3742 dragging a 10-car train with a weight of 1150 grams on a slope with R1
[YOUTUBE]
[/YOUTUBE]

3742 pushing a 9-car train with a weight of 1000 grams on a slope with R1

3742 dragging a 12-car train with a weight of 1450 grams on a slope with R2
[YOUTUBE]
[/YOUTUBE]

3742 pushing an 11-car train with a weight of 1300 grams on a slope with R2

Note: I have noticed that the page takes a long time to load, so I will include less videos, only the most significant ones.

Best regards

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
Antonio Martínez