Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline PMPeter  
#1 Posted : 13 March 2019 15:31:40(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
With the euphoria surrounding the receipt of a new locomotive there always seems to be a down side that leaves you disappointed. I received this Fleischmann AC version of the E152 yesterday and it runs very nicely, especially at slow speed. The sound is great and I have not yet tested all of the 32 functions available on DCC.

However, the 2 axle front and rear boggies have DC wheelsets with very flat, slightly rounded flanges that derail each and every time on some turnouts that are close to a curve and any 3 way Y turnout not set to straight. It is not a spacing issue since I have confirmed the Marklin spacing is correct and since they are split axles going into an insulated bushing on the shaft they are pushed together as far as possible. In my opinion it is the lack of flange issue as per other DC wheelsets.

My question is, does anyone know of a source for spoked AC front boggie wheelsets that can be bought individually? I can find them on eBay as part of complete boggie assemblies usually only having a single axle, so I don't really want to buy 4 boggies to get the 4 wheelsets that I need. Alternatively I guess I could buy 4 standard needle point spoked wheels, paint the spokes red, and grind off the needle points. Suggestions?

Thanks
Peter
Offline applor  
#2 Posted : 14 March 2019 06:34:51(UTC)
applor

Australia   
I can't help you with replacement wheels but I wanted to share with you that I had this problem just the other day with a Fleischmann BR86 I converted to AC - the front bogie would derail on points set thrown.

Looking at the front bogie, it had a metal piece that touched the axle to provide earth to the front bogie which bent down from the chassis.

I was able to simply bend the metal further down to provide more down force on the front bogie which resolved the derailments without needing to change wheelsets.
modelling 1954 Germany (era IIIa)
Offline PMPeter  
#3 Posted : 14 March 2019 14:20:30(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Yes I thought of that and decided to add weight near the front axle by installing the magnet for reed switch activation on the boggie. Made no difference on the thrown turnouts, but gives me nice early sensor activation for my Rocrail control. BigGrin

For now I replaced the front boggie leading wheelset with a standard Roco 40195 with needle point axles and the loco functions perfectly through all turnouts. So perhaps I can get away with only replacing 2 wheelsets (leading in each direction) if I can only find some.

Peter