Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Bob24  
#1 Posted : 09 March 2019 07:53:36(UTC)
Bob24

United States   
Hello,
This is my first post on the forum. I am looking for the wiring plan to the Noch Cortina layout. I used an English version of the Noch 59880 Gleisplan (track plan) and followed it exactly, but it has no wiring instructions. The track plan in German is at Noch.com with the Cortina Layout. The track plan includes two 8939 signals, an 8589 and an 8529 circuit track, two 8588 isolation tracks, three 8945 relays, several isolating rail joiners, an 8992 crossing gate and much more. I've done some simple wiring in the past, but nothing this involved. I'm not to sure what controls what. I believe the 8939 signals paired with the 8945 relays will stop and start the trains. If a wiring plan for this track plan exists it would simplify things greatly.
Thanks, Bob

Offline Bob24  
#2 Posted : 11 March 2019 01:31:43(UTC)
Bob24

United States   
This is the track plan I followed. It is on the Noch website. How to wire the signals and isolation track is my biggest roadblock. I'm not even sure there are enough signals and circuit tracks to control two trains on the inner loop. I believe the two circuit tracks shown on the inner loop control the 8992 crossing gate. I also have a copy of the track plan in English which I got from a Marklin dealer, Z Scale Hobo. I haven't put down roadbed or ballast so I can still make changes. If I get any info on wiring I'll pass it along. Guide to Z Scale has a lot of the basics.20190309_185149.jpg
Offline veloboldie  
#3 Posted : 19 April 2019 01:59:44(UTC)
veloboldie

United States   
Bob, follow the link to Spanish Mini-Club that has Marklin's Track Layout book that discusses signal and track wiring in English. The book is split into five PDF scanned documents. Here is a link: http://www.marklin-spain.com/marklin/mini-club. BTW, I am also building NOCH Cortina from scratch and was able to wire the track and crossing gates, but struggling with signals. Also found Cortina layout with three train operation
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by veloboldie
Offline Bob24  
#4 Posted : 20 April 2019 17:03:05(UTC)
Bob24

United States   
Thanks for the link which I need to examine more closely. It should be helpful in setting up the wiring for the crossing gate. There is also info on how to wire centenary which I intend to add to the Cortina outer loop.
In the track plan above there are two 8939 signals, two 8588 isolation tracks, two 8954 single-sided isolating rail joiners and two 89845 universal relays which I believe are there for three train operation, two on the inner loop. The crossing gate would use the third 8945 universal relay and the only two circuit tracks 8529 and 8589 on the plan. Understanding the functions and wiring of the 8945 universal relays and specifically how they control the 8939 signals for stopping and starting of the trains is next.
Offline cfauvel  
#5 Posted : 10 February 2021 00:42:18(UTC)
cfauvel

United States   
I am about to build the Cortina from scratch...what is the best board size to fit the plan on in inches?
Offline zscalehobo  
#6 Posted : 10 February 2021 02:45:26(UTC)
zscalehobo

United States   
The original is 39" x 27"
Frank Daniels
Owner - z.scale.hobo
A Noch "Top Dealer"
Marklin Dealer and Z Locomotive Service
Irvine, California, USA
www.zscalehobo.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by zscalehobo
Offline cfauvel  
#7 Posted : 10 February 2021 04:13:32(UTC)
cfauvel

United States   
Thanks Frank...you are so quick to reply...I think you are going to be best friend :-)
Offline Mr. Ron  
#8 Posted : 07 March 2021 18:52:07(UTC)
Mr. Ron

United States   
I wish I could work in Z scale, but at 86, it is a bit too small for me.
Offline mbfos  
#9 Posted : 09 March 2021 12:31:52(UTC)
mbfos

United Kingdom   
I have recently completed the wiring of Noch Cortina, and as a novice to both Z gauge and wiring, I found it a challenge but also very satisfying.
I used the resources posted here and some I had to really dig into some corners of the Internet (thanks google Translate).

Mostly I used scans of the instructions that came with the 8939 signals and the 8992 Level Crossing. (Happy to provide if anyone needs them)
and the very helpful http://www.guidetozscale.com/

I have the Level Crossing triggering from the circuit track, and the signals are currently manual, but do stop the trains using the Isolation tracks. I'm pretty pleased with it.

My issues now are:
Level Crossing doesn't really fit the layout properly and limits the building I can have in the sidings Fixing it to the baseboard is also not great.
Would like to get Automatic operation working with the signals so I can have 2 trains running on the inner loop at the same time.

Offline cfauvel  
#10 Posted : 15 April 2021 15:59:27(UTC)
cfauvel

United States   
Originally Posted by: mbfos Go to Quoted Post
I have recently completed the wiring of Noch Cortina, and as a novice to both Z gauge and wiring, I found it a challenge but also very satisfying.
I used the resources posted here and some I had to really dig into some corners of the Internet (thanks google Translate).

Mostly I used scans of the instructions that came with the 8939 signals and the 8992 Level Crossing. (Happy to provide if anyone needs them)

I have the Level Crossing triggering from the circuit track, and the signals are currently manual, but do stop the trains using the Isolation tracks. I'm pretty pleased with it.

My issues now are:
Level Crossing doesn't really fit the layout properly and limits the building I can have in the sidings Fixing it to the baseboard is also not great.
Would like to get Automatic operation working with the signals so I can have 2 trains running on the inner loop at the same time.

MBFOS I need some help...I only have one transformer so didn't use the isolators at the turn outs, thinking I need to supply electricity for all the track with one feeder track.

I bought two isolation tracks and installed one (with no wires hooked up), and was surprised that my loco went around perfectly even over the isolation track. I'd thought with the track cut that the loco would not run on either the left side or the right side of that track section... Can you explain how those are to work?

and my bridge over the two side by side tracks (where they would have a bumper...what do you call that section in railroad terms?) seems to start right over the north most track of the two, where as photos of this layout seems to have it start about 55mm north of that....I tried a bunch of different small sections of track (the 25 mm and the 55mm) and can't seem to get it to layout properly.

take a look at my photo....I'll try to take a better perfectly vertical photo in a bit.

noch_cortina_need_help.png (2,367kb) downloaded 153 time(s).
Offline Carim  
#11 Posted : 15 April 2021 16:35:47(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: cfauvel Go to Quoted Post

I bought two isolation tracks and installed one (with no wires hooked up), and was surprised that my loco went around perfectly even over the isolation track. I'd thought with the track cut that the loco would not run on either the left side or the right side of that track section... Can you explain how those are to work?

I do not use Marklin isolation tracks, but if it is just a gap in one rail, on your layout you are getting power from both sides of the gap. Therefore, you are not isolating anything and this is why the locos can run across it. If you put the isolation track in a sliding, post the gap the rail would be electrically dead.

Carim
Offline cfauvel  
#12 Posted : 15 April 2021 17:12:39(UTC)
cfauvel

United States   
Originally Posted by: Carim Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: cfauvel Go to Quoted Post

I do not use Marklin isolation tracks, but if it is just a gap in one rail, on your layout you are getting power from both sides of the gap. Therefore, you are not isolating anything and this is why the locos can run across it. If you put the isolation track in a sliding, post the gap the rail would be electrically dead.

Carim

AHHHHH...thanks for the explanation...was scratching my head..... does the cut rail have to be on the same side? I would think not.

I guess through the use of a circuit track you would energize a section of track that was isolated with 2 isolation tracks, then another circuit track to de-energize that isolated section (to stop the train).

Sorry, a newbie here, so just looking at the Cortina layout with marklin tracks isn't enough for me to understand.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by cfauvel
Offline Chipopo  
#13 Posted : 29 September 2022 12:29:55(UTC)
Chipopo

Israel   

My issues now are:

Hope you solved the wiring issue for the automatic operation working with the signals . . .
If so, I would appreciate some help with the wiring, as I an stuggling with the same !

Offline BenP  
#14 Posted : 29 September 2022 19:10:30(UTC)
BenP

United States   
Originally Posted by: Bob24 Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for the link which I need to examine more closely. It should be helpful in setting up the wiring for the crossing gate. There is also info on how to wire centenary which I intend to add to the Cortina outer loop.
In the track plan above there are two 8939 signals, two 8588 isolation tracks, two 8954 single-sided isolating rail joiners and two 89845 universal relays which I believe are there for three train operation, two on the inner loop. The crossing gate would use the third 8945 universal relay and the only two circuit tracks 8529 and 8589 on the plan. Understanding the functions and wiring of the 8945 universal relays and specifically how they control the 8939 signals for stopping and starting of the trains is next.

Working on a similar (smaller) project, I decided to keep the outer loop separate from inner to optimally match train behavior. I removed switches (reused as staging line for outer loop). Outer loop works for passenger car trains, but inner not so much (tight curves). You can still use one transformer with two separate power tracks, but two controls is better (off brand DC double controllers are plenty). Adding working catenary with power needs a second transformer. While more realistic, I find overhead wiring too delicate at Z scale.
Digital M (+ some K) track layout with mostly vintage rolling stock and accessories, and small Z scale layout.
https://youtube.com/play...0kgVYbh0CeDTF-bYXoD_2-V9
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by BenP
Offline GustavM  
#15 Posted : 30 October 2022 16:26:23(UTC)
GustavM

United States   
I have recently completed the wiring of Noch Cortina.

I'm a novice trying to figure out how to wire my Marklin tracks to the nock cortina layout. I can't get the link to www.guidetozscale.com to work. Can I get the instructions anywhere else?

Offline GustavM  
#16 Posted : 30 October 2022 16:36:43(UTC)
GustavM

United States   
Originally Posted by: veloboldie Go to Quoted Post
Bob, follow the link to Spanish Mini-Club that has Marklin's Track Layout book that discusses signal and track wiring in English. The book is split into five PDF scanned documents. Here is a link: http://www.marklin-spain.com/marklin/mini-club. BTW, I am also building NOCH Cortina from scratch and was able to wire the track and crossing gates, but struggling with signals. Also found Cortina layout with three train operation

I can't open the Spanish Mini-Club link. I'm a novice trying to figure out how to wire my Marklin tracks to the nock cortina layout.
Offline veloboldie  
#17 Posted : 31 October 2022 10:13:43(UTC)
veloboldie

United States   
Originally Posted by: GustavM Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: veloboldie Go to Quoted Post

I can't open the Spanish Mini-Club link. I'm a novice trying to figure out how to wire my Marklin tracks to the nock cortina layout.

Here is a link to the Noch.de Cortina layout with wiring instructions: https://www.noch.com/med...0_59880_Cortina_2017.pdf

and here is Marklin's track layout book that has all the analog wiring instructions for signals, crossings, track isolations, etc.: https://www.maerklin.de/...Buch_Spur_Z_komplett.pdf

Take care,

Paul

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by veloboldie
Offline GustavM  
#18 Posted : 02 November 2022 18:47:43(UTC)
GustavM

United States   
Thank you so much!!!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by GustavM
Offline Chipopo  
#19 Posted : 10 November 2022 10:16:05(UTC)
Chipopo

Israel   
Tracks layed, and first rounds done !Love

WhatsApp Video 2022-11-09 at 20.30.25.mp4 (2,501kb) downloaded 49 time(s).

Now I am trying to figure out the way for correct wiring, circuit track positioning, etc.,
in order to control and have some automatic operation