Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Ranjit  
#1 Posted : 03 March 2019 14:22:02(UTC)
Ranjit

Hi All...

After being an "analogue" person for well over 55 years, I have started to seriously look at how I can incorporate Marklin Digital in my new layout which is currently in the planning stage.

Some members from another thread have suggested that I begin this journey by purchasing a MS2 (#60657), a track box (#60116) and a power supply (#66360). Of course, as a newbie in Marklin Digital, I have tons of initial questions. Here goes,

1. How do I "digitize" my turnouts, signals, etc.? What decoders should I use?
2. What do I do with my old "blue" transformers? Can I continue to use them for lighting?
3. What work do I need to do to connect my k-track to the track box? Is k-track well suited for digital operation?
4. As there are voltage fluctuations in India, what precautions should I take to power the layout?

Surely, I will be bombarding you all with a lot more "digital" questions as we move along.

Take care.

Cheers,
Ranjit
Modelling in HO Scale - Era III & IV. K+M Track, Analogue + Digital

#Get Vaccinated
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need" - Marcus Tullius Cicero
"Nothing is as powerful as an idea whose time has come" - Victor Marie Hugo
"If you can dream it, you can do it" - Walt Disney
Offline Ove Malmström  
#2 Posted : 03 March 2019 14:55:28(UTC)
Ove Malmström

Sweden   
You connect the trackbox with a red and a brown cable to the k track, just as you connect a analog transformer.

The old blue transformers should be fine to use for lights on the layout.

As for the turnouts and signals, I better let someone with experience tell you about those. :)
Offline Ove Malmström  
#3 Posted : 03 March 2019 15:07:17(UTC)
Ove Malmström

Sweden   
One more thing.

You can't drive your analog roling stock with the MS2, if you got lots of analog lokos, this is important to know.
Offline Ranjit  
#4 Posted : 03 March 2019 16:36:34(UTC)
Ranjit

Yes, Ove, I am aware that my old, analogue locomotives need a decoder. I am not sure which ones as yet. I need to figure that one out.

Do I need spade connectors to connect the red and brown wires to the k-tracks or do I solder them.

What about the control boxes, can I still use them to activate the turnouts, signals, level crossings, etc.?

Has anyone digitized the 7051 crane?

Cheers,
Ranjit

#Get Vaccinated
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need" - Marcus Tullius Cicero
Offline Ove Malmström  
#5 Posted : 03 March 2019 16:55:14(UTC)
Ove Malmström

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: Ranjit Go to Quoted Post
Yes, Ove, I am aware that my old, analogue locomotives need a decoder. I am not sure which ones as yet. I need to figure that one out.

Do I need spade connectors to connect the red and brown wires to the k-tracks or do I solder them.

What about the control boxes, can I still use them to activate the turnouts, signals, level crossings, etc.?

Cheers,
Ranjit

HI Ranjit!

Yes, the cables on the trackbox comes with spade connectors, so just plug them in. :)

For your other questions, better someone with more knowlage answering them.

I am new to this hobby.
Offline Ranjit  
#6 Posted : 03 March 2019 18:40:44(UTC)
Ranjit

Hi All...

Apart from the MS2, the trackbox and the power supply, what are the other digital components (Marklin and/or others) that I need to power and run trains efficiently, and power up the electrically operated items on my layout?

I plan to have fifteen (15) trains on my layout and run three (3) or four (4) locomotives at any one time.

Cheers,
Ranjit

#Get Vaccinated
Offline Ove Malmström  
#7 Posted : 03 March 2019 19:17:57(UTC)
Ove Malmström

Sweden   
It sounds like you have a big layout Ranjit. :)
I am sorry that I can't answer all your questions, but I am new to this fantastic hobby.
If you gona have 15 lokos on the layout and have 4 to 5 running, maby you need 2 MS2 controllers ore the CS3 after all.
But all depends on your budget.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#8 Posted : 03 March 2019 20:16:45(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Ove Malmström Go to Quoted Post

Cheers,
Ranjit

HI Ranjit!

Yes, the cables on the trackbox comes with spade connectors, so just plug them in. :)

For your other questions, better someone with more knowlage answering them.

I am new to this hobby.

Umm, I think Marklin have a different cable for connecting to K track. The spade connectors are only for C track.

But what Ranjit could do is cut the spade connecotrs off and connect the bare wires to the usual K track feeder section.

Offline TEEWolf  
#9 Posted : 03 March 2019 20:44:52(UTC)
TEEWolf

Hi All...

Apart from the MS2, the trackbox and the power supply, what are the other digital components (Marklin and/or others) that I need to power and run trains efficiently, and power up the electrically operated items on my layout?

I plan to have fifteen (15) trains on my layout and run three (3) or four (4) locomotives at any one time.

Cheers,
Ranjit

Hello Ranjit,

a link for digital starters by Märklin and in English too.BigGrin

https://static.maerklin....7ae8042ed31537193800.pdf

as a first generally information.

This technical tip by Märklin is only in German, but it shows in pictures all track connections, also to K-tracks.

https://www.maerklin.de/...faq/Technik-Tipp-201.pdf

https://www.maerklin.de/...rrpdb_pi1%5BnoPaging%5D=

and you still can use your M-tracks as well

https://www.maerklin.de/...rrpdb_pi1%5BnoPaging%5D=

Your analogue unchainged to digital locos will run on a digital layout, but only with maximum speed without a possibility to controll them. So you have to be aware that they do not fly off from your layout in curves. Happens pretty quick and can have nasty destroying effects.

Regards

TEEWolf

P.S. I found the Märklin overview brochure for K-tracks

http://www.ccbrailroad.c...nuales/marklin_via_k.pdf
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#10 Posted : 03 March 2019 21:17:38(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   

The digital version of the 7051 crane was item number 7651. There was an addon board (7652) you could buy to convert a 7051 crane into a 7651 digital crane, but that is no longer produced and I don't think I've ever seen one 2nd hand on ebay.

The best way to digitise a 7051 crane is...(method also works with Central Stations)

Marklin 7051 Crane Digital Control - from_0308_book_page_173_25.jpg

If you wire up your turnouts, signals, etc the same way you would for an analog layout, you can continue to use your control boxes.

Some folks prefer to use the digital controllers just for running trains, and control their solenoid devices in the traditional way. Nothing wrong with that, you do it the way you are comfortable with (and fits your budget!).
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline David Dewar  
#11 Posted : 03 March 2019 21:30:27(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Wirth a large layout I would go for a CS3 Plus. Also buy the Marklin book (03092 I think is the number) this will answer most of your questions.

Take your time and buy the correct items at the start and with help on here all will be well.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline rrf  
#12 Posted : 03 March 2019 21:30:47(UTC)
rrf

United States   
Hello Ranjit,

I have made and continue to make the digital transition in steps. Back in the days when Märklin offered the choice of digital or analog loks, I would always purchase the digital version. Many years later I finally purchased a digital starter set with a Mobile Station 1. One section of my layout ran the handful of digital loks that I owned at the time. A second section was still analog and controlled by transformers. Other than a common ground, there was no physical connection between the the digital and analog track sections. All control of switches and signals was traditional analog. I ran this way for a number of years.

Then I purchased a starter set with an MS2. It gave me the capability to control switches and signals digitally. So I began to collect K83 decoders and connect my solenoid accessories to them. The only thing missing was digital feedback and automated control. So for sidings and shadow stations where I wanted automation, I used traditional analog control mechanisms: circuit tracks triggering switches and signals. I ran my layouts this way for quite a few years as well.

A little over a month ago, I finally purchased a CS3. It gives me the capabilities to use an S88 feedback module to detect signals from contact and circuit tracks, as well as reed switches. I currently have a test oval running with one siding where contact tracks trigger two events defined on the CS3. This allows two trains to take turns running around the oval. Once this winter's layout furniture construction project is complete, I will rebuild my layout using the CS3 and some new M83 and M84 decoders. I'm saving the older K83s for when my son's layout goes digitalWink

I hope you find information useful,
Rob
Mackenrode Wende Bahn
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by rrf
Offline TEEWolf  
#13 Posted : 04 March 2019 00:19:01(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post

If you wire up your turnouts, signals, etc the same way you would for an analog layout, you can continue to use your control boxes.

Some folks prefer to use the digital controllers just for running trains, and control their solenoid devices in the traditional way. Nothing wrong with that, you do it the way you are comfortable with (and fits your budget!).

Hello Ranjit,

the first picture shows a digital cabeling and usage only for the tracks and a separately (analogue) cabeling for turnouts and lights. For them you still can use your control boxes and your transformers.

In the second picture you see the cabeling for a digital usage of the tracks and digital controlling of turnouts. Then you toggle the turnouts, signals, etc with your controller (MS 2, CS 3) As you see, then you need a decoder (here an old k83 - today it is the m83) for the turnouts. The light is still managed in analogue mode with a transformer. That is in pictures, what @BigdaddyNZ describes in his post.

Perhaps an advantage is, if you get a separate current supply for the light with a transformer, you can use the red rotary button for diming lights. Beside also less digital current is necessary for lights, which is then useable for locos, signals, etc.

Regards

TEEWolf
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline Ranjit  
#14 Posted : 04 March 2019 05:59:04(UTC)
Ranjit

Thank you, Ove, kiwiAlan, TEEwolf, David Dewar, David and Rob, for your highly educational and very useful inputs!

Excuse me, but I need to ask this "controversial" question...

Which one of three (3) digital controllers is feature rich, user friendly, easy to use, and which is well suited for Marklin HO with suitable accessories (decoders, sound unites, etc.) -- Marklin Digital (MS2 / CS3), ESU (ECoS) or Uhlenbrock (Intellibox)?

As David Dewar has said, I wish to "take my time" and buy the "correct items" with the help from all of you and "do it right" from the start. As I am planning to build a new layout, I guess I have this luxury.

Btw, I have ordered the Marklin Digital (03092) book. Thank you for your suggestion, David Dewar.

Take care..

Cheers,
Ranjit

#Get Vaccinated
Offline Ove Malmström  
#15 Posted : 04 March 2019 06:35:32(UTC)
Ove Malmström

Sweden   
Hi Ranjit!

Of wat I have read on the ESU ECoS is that it is compatible with märklin, the biggest drawback as I understand it is that it don't have support for MFX+.
And probably lots of märklin lokos will come with this dekoder in the future.

The MS2 and the CS3 is built with the märklin in mind so should work fine, has support for MFX+.
My own experience this far is the MS2, and for me MS2 works grate, but I am no power user yet. But MS2 is easy to set up and learn.

Uhlenbrock isn't somthing I have read upp about, so can't comment on that.
Offline Ranjit  
#16 Posted : 04 March 2019 07:08:52(UTC)
Ranjit

Thank you for your feedback, Ove!

Cheerio!
Ranjit

#Get Vaccinated
Offline Ove Malmström  
#17 Posted : 04 March 2019 11:56:33(UTC)
Ove Malmström

Sweden   
Here is two threds I found here on märklin users net about ECoS and CS3.

https://www.marklin-user...3-Vs-ECOS--Pros-and-Cons

https://www.marklin-user...3-or-ESU-command-station
Offline David Dewar  
#18 Posted : 04 March 2019 12:35:28(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Regarding a controller most will advise the one they use as being the best so it is difficult to get an answer that might be right for you. I own a CS2 and also now a CS3 Plus and both work perfectly with Marklin locos and S88s etc but I cant say anything about ESU as I don't have one.
For me I like Marklin and support the brand. If possible try to see a controller working if there is a dealer or anybody near you.
Can I suggest before buying to come on here and let as know what you are ordering just to confirm you are buying the right equipment for your needs.
Also work out what you want to spend and if not too much at present then a MS start set might be best to get going and later you can add a controller that does more if required.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline river6109  
#19 Posted : 04 March 2019 13:36:57(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Ranjit, here are my 2 cents:

The ECoS 50210 is already the second generation of our successful ECoS command station. With the latest ECoS command station, ESU continues to offer state-of-the-art digital technology combined with contemporary functional range and easy handling all this for a fair price-performance ratio.

The ECoS has - like most of the recent central stations - a large coloured display with high resolution. In combination with its ground-breaking and easily operated user interface and excellent contrast values of the coloured screen, ECoS reaches unprecedented ergonomics: unlike all the other central stations, the ECoS can be also operated without a stylus - all symbols and writings are hugely marked and clearly structured.

ECoS has 9 function keys per integrated cab. The light-, and function keys 1 to 8 show the current state of the function via LEDs.

Discover the fascinating possibilities of the ECoS command station on the following pages. But take heed: ECoS performance is so good, that even we had to re-read a few passages to believe it!
ECoS Features

With an ECoS command station you acquire an open system. As is expected of ESU, from the beginning we wanted to be open to, and compatible with, present systems and norms. Just like our decoders, the ECoS is a real multi-protocol command station.

As a multi-protocol command station, ECoS supports DCC, Märklin® Motorola®, Selectrix® and the M4 data protocol. M4 drives and controls locomotives equipped with mfx® decoders without any restrictions. M4 is completely compatible. You can even continue to use almost all of your present loco decoders. ECoS is therefore the only digital command station worldwide that unifies 4 data protocols.

With an ECoS you can run locos: via two integrated cabs with large, easy-grasp motor driven throttle knobs and nine precise click-function keys you control your locos. In combination with the touch screen, you can control up to 20 functions per engine.

ECoS controls turnouts and magnetic accessories: a large, graphical control panel provides you access for up to 1420 turnouts (DCC or Motorola® protocol).

With ECoS you can plan and control routes: simply put turnouts and magnetic accessories graphically in groups and switch them together. Routes will be activated either by feedback contacts or by key. You can even use s88 occupancy detectors or ECoSDetector feedback modules.

With ECoS you can operate shuttle trains very easily: put a rail contact at both ends of the track and ECoS will do the rest.

The ECoS built-in booster has so much power that, in most cases, you don‘t need additional ones.

ECoS supports EcoSlink, a high-speed bus system, based on CAN, that transmits data instantaneously to the command station.

With ECoS, never before has it been so simple to program your decoders: the large, colored TFT screen offers good contrast and displays a lot of information in unabbreviated text. A programming track establishes contact with your decoders.

Of course, the ECoS has a pre-installed DCC RailCom® function: with its „global detector“ it recognizes RailCom®-compatible decoders (e.g. our LokPilot V4.0 decoder) directly on the main track. You also have the possibility to feedback the turnout position via the SwitchPilot to the ECoS command station.

ECoS is compatible. Besides Selectrix®, Märklin®-Motorola®, and M4, ECoS speaks all variants of the DCC-Norm. With the integrated analog controllers (joysticks) you can even control the whistle of LokSound decoders, never before more precisely.

ECoS is expandable. Each ECoS command station sports a network port for connection with a computer. Thus you can update software or use a computer for operation.
Who needs ECoS?

ECoS is basically the command station for all. Beginners, who are looking for a simple-to-operate cab, will be at home right away: the large, graphic touch screen display shows all information in plain text; in case of doubt use the integrated help function. Never was it easier to switch to digital control. And ECoS runs DC or AC driven trains (compatible decoder provided).

Even model railroaders, who alredy own a digital command station, should step up to ECoS: next to the extreme simple inputs, and the possibilities for route-and shuttle train programming, you will learn to appreciate the manifold programming features for decoders. You can connect your present equipment to the input of EcoSniffer, and continue to use it: you don‘t need to discard anything that you want to keep using!

Due to its enormous output-performance, the ECoS command station is recommended especially for operators of Gauge 1 or G layouts: at last you can run multiple trains without an external booster. Total interplay with our LokSound XL V4.0 decoders is matter of fact.

What ever decision you make which system you will finish up with I would recommend to stick with the same system but you also have to consider the costs, Märklin accessories aren't cheap and there are other products on the market which are much cheaper and do the same job., if money is not an obstacle go for Märklin., some have said the ECoS is more consumer friendlier and products are reliable.
if you just buy Märklin locos off the shelf I would recommend the Märklin system and also if you don't do any programming.
If you're handy with converting locos to digital this is a plus if not I always could be of assistance and convert them to a high standard.

John

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline H0  
#20 Posted : 04 March 2019 14:07:03(UTC)
H0

The 50210 is the third generation already, following the ECoS 50000 and the ECoS II 50200.

The 50210 has a 6 A booster inside, but you can set a lower switch-off current if you don't need all that power and want to play it safe.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline David Dewar  
#21 Posted : 04 March 2019 15:45:16(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Blimey John. Do you work for ECOS lol. I will keep it short. If you buy Marklin locos get a Marklin controller.

I did say Ranjit that those with ECOS will jump in quick as a flash. However I cant argue that it is not good as have never used or seen one.

In the end Ranjit it is your choice but if starting in digital try a MS start set. You can add your MS to a CS3 later if you wish to go further.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline Minok  
#22 Posted : 04 March 2019 20:51:31(UTC)
Minok

United States   
The 290000 starter set (did I stick too many zeros on there?) gets yo some C track and the MS2 and track box ; if you don't find the rolling stock in other starter sets to your liking/modeling plans.
To convert your analog locos to digital you'll have to modify the motors as well as add decoders - there are conversion kits Märklin sells for that. But also consider selling off the analog and buying digital replacements in stead of conversion; that might be the better value for money option depending on what you can get/sell/like spending your time on/attached to your old locos you are.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline TEEWolf  
#23 Posted : 04 March 2019 21:09:50(UTC)
TEEWolf

Thank you, Ove, kiwiAlan, TEEwolf, David Dewar, David and Rob, for your highly educational and very useful inputs!

Excuse me, but I need to ask this "controversial" question...

Which one of three (3) digital controllers is feature rich, user friendly, easy to use, and which is well suited for Marklin HO with suitable accessories (decoders, sound unites, etc.) -- Marklin Digital (MS2 / CS3), ESU (ECoS) or Uhlenbrock (Intellibox)?

As David Dewar has said, I wish to "take my time" and buy the "correct items" with the help from all of you and "do it right" from the start. As I am planning to build a new layout, I guess I have this luxury.

Btw, I have ordered the Marklin Digital (03092) book. Thank you for your suggestion, David Dewar.

Take care..

Cheers,
Ranjit

If you ordered the Märklin book 03092 already (very good and helpful this book) the only choice for you will be a CS 3 or CS 3+. Because it is the Märklin book for a CS 3 and not an ECoS, etc.

I always recommend a CS 3+ because beside the option to attach a S88 directly to the CS 3+, you get the galvanic isolation (important for the CAN bus) inside of your CS 3+. And only by a CS 3 you are able to use the mfx+ format.

And do never forget: this is a Märklin-user forum, not an ESU or Uhlenbrock one. These are different ones.BigGrin FlapperLaugh
Offline river6109  
#24 Posted : 04 March 2019 21:30:47(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post
Blimey John. Do you work for ECOS lol. I will keep it short. If you buy Marklin locos get a Marklin controller.

I did say Ranjit that those with ECOS will jump in quick as a flash. However I cant argue that it is not good as have never used or seen one.

In the end Ranjit it is your choice but if starting in digital try a MS start set. You can add your MS to a CS3 later if you wish to go further.

As I do not have a CS3+ and never seen one I thought I'll give Ranjit the chance to evaluate another command station from the manufacturers mouth.
I personally can't tell the difference but this topic has been on this forum before.

I also point out to buy products from 1 manufacturer only as this reduces complications during a build up of other digital components.

John
Offline Purellum  
#25 Posted : 04 March 2019 21:39:25(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post
I always recommend a CS 3 because beside the option to attach a S88 directly to the CS 3

Well, you can also connect S88 directly to an ECoS, galvanically isolated btw. Cool

you get the galvanic isolation (important for the CAN bus)

This is really interesting, can you please tell just a little more about this ??? LOL LOL

Why is the Galvanic isolation important for the CAN bus ???

( Wolfgang you must have this in your archives: you are the champion of useful links ) LOL LOL

Per.

Cool
If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
Offline TEEWolf  
#26 Posted : 06 March 2019 04:07:29(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: Purellum Go to Quoted Post

( Wolfgang you must have this in your archives: you are the champion of useful links ) LOL LOL

Per.

Cool

Although a few days ago I was told that a king-size electrician expert is crawling around through cables, electronic platforms, diods, transitors, pushing electrons away, perhaps pulling positrons, laughing about topics, threads, posts and whatever of and in this forum is bustling around. Also the heading of this topic is "Märklin Digital ..." so you can't capture this topic for your purposes by a few links. OK here a few links.

As you know already, mainly only in German - sorry.LOL LOL

http://streaming.maerkli...cs2CAN-Protokoll-2_0.pdf

http://www.mbernstein.de/modellbahn/can/index.htm

http://www.skrauss.de/modellbahn/canbus.html

but I am not as mean as king-size experts. Here in English at least partially

http://www.can-digital-bahn.com/news.php

http://www.can-digital-b...om/modul.php?system=sys2

http://www.can-digital-b...ys2&modul=38#Mod_Top

and even in a minor small language which I cannot identify, but it could be danish or a similar one.BigGrin

https://www.sporskiftet....klin-cs2-can-protokollen

Should be enough for reading for the beginning.

Aaahh not yet, still another source: the new Workbook for the CS 3.

Section 1.2 "Der CAN-Bus (Bussystem) - Ein Kurzüberblick" [The CAN bus (bus system) - a short overview] (translated by the expositor) page 26 of 789 till page 38 of 789 pages.

Really, only a short overview of 12 pages, but too much and forbidden Sad to me by copyrights for translating. Sorry.Smile
Offline Purellum  
#27 Posted : 06 March 2019 04:41:25(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Per.

Cool

Although a few days ago I was told that a king-size electrician expert is crawling around through cables, electronic platforms, diods, transitors, pushing electrons away, perhaps pulling positrons, laughing about topics, threads, posts and whatever of and in this forum is bustling around. Also the heading of this topic is "Märklin Digital ..." so you can't capture this topic for your purposes by a few links. OK here a few links.

As you know already, mainly only in German - sorry.LOL LOL

http://streaming.maerkli...cs2CAN-Protokoll-2_0.pdf

http://www.mbernstein.de/modellbahn/can/index.htm

http://www.skrauss.de/modellbahn/canbus.html

but I am not as mean as king-size experts. Here in English at least partially

http://www.can-digital-bahn.com/news.php

http://www.can-digital-b...om/modul.php?system=sys2

http://www.can-digital-b...ys2&modul=38#Mod_Top

and even in a minor small language which I cannot identify, but it could be danish or a similar one.BigGrin

https://www.sporskiftet....klin-cs2-can-protokollen

Should be enough for reading for the beginning.

Aaahh not yet, still another source: the new Workbook for the CS 3.

Section 1.2 "Der CAN-Bus (Bussystem) - Ein Kurzüberblick" [The CAN bus (bus system) - a short overview] (translated by the expositor) page 26 of 789 till page 38 of 789 pages.

Really, only a short overview of 12 pages, but too much and forbidden Sad to me by copyrights for translating. Sorry.Smile

Apparently you didn't understand my simple question: Why is the Galvanic isolation important for the CAN bus ???

Per.

Cool

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
Offline Thewolf  
#28 Posted : 06 March 2019 15:05:07(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Cool

Per.

Cool

A very relevant question. I am very interested in the answer to this question.

Thewolf

Project The Richelieu Valley Railway-CS2-Track C- Itrain-Digital
Offline Purellum  
#29 Posted : 06 March 2019 15:24:14(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Originally Posted by: Thewolf Go to Quoted Post
I am very interested in the answer to this question.

I think you will get a lot of links; but no useful answer BigGrin

Per.

Cool

UserPostedImage
Offline JohnjeanB  
#30 Posted : 06 March 2019 16:04:47(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi
Galvanic separation is about absence of any electrical link between the power feed signal and the digital output. By Marklin this is effective since late 60214, all 60215, 60216 and 60226.
It brings the allowance to connect all digital signals O together to have a working S88 sensor reading system
This is why the floating S88 bus needs to be connected with the O (common ground).
Cheers
Jean
Offline Purellum  
#31 Posted : 06 March 2019 16:23:42(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post
Galvanic separation is about absence of any electrical link between the power feed signal and the digital output.

I think / hope this is commonly known; what I would like to know is why it should be important for the CAN bus, as TEEWolf claims:

I always recommend a CS 3 because beside the option to attach a S88 directly to the CS 3 , you get the galvanic isolation (important for the CAN bus) inside of your CS 3 .

When TEEWolf recommends people to buy a CS+ based on this, I would like to know why he thinks it is important for the CAN bus Confused

Per.

Cool

UserPostedImage
Offline Ranjit  
#32 Posted : 06 March 2019 16:49:47(UTC)
Ranjit

Now, I am totally lost!!

#Get Vaccinated
Offline TEEWolf  
#33 Posted : 06 March 2019 18:07:51(UTC)
TEEWolf

Now, I am totally lost!!

I understand it, sorry for that. But what will you do, if a king size expert is capturing your thread?

Back to the roots:

Quote:

If you are using K-tracks or M-tracks you have no choice. You have to take a m83 for turnouts, signals, etc. The m83 is a function decoder for digital solenoid controlled by an impulse. The m84 is a function decoder for switching permanent current on/off. Example: you switch on/off a light. It is like your light switch at home. Whereas the m83 is like a pushbutton, if you want to switch light on/off.

If you are using C-tracks you have the alternative to use a built in decoder under the track into the track bed. You see no decoder and you have no cabeling outside the track bed. Very convenient for carpet railroader.BigGrin

Quote:
2. What do I do with my old "blue" transformers? Can I continue to use them for lighting?

You have to do the decision, if you want to toggel your devices with your digital controller (eg MS 2) or by a control box. Using the controller you are toggeling your turnout digitally, because you need a decoder for switching. Using a control box than you are toggeling your turnouts analogue still using your blue transformers. The different cabeling plans you see in my post #13 above.

Quote:
3. What work do I need to do to connect my k-track to the track box? Is k-track well suited for digital operation?

Yes, k-track is well suited for digital and for connection to your track box you use the straight feeder track art# 2292. Link above in my post #13.

Quote:
4. As there are voltage fluctuations in India, what precautions should I take to power the layout?

This is not only a speciality of India and perhaps a few more countries. The very best and most expensive solution will be a USV (= Unterbrechungsfrei Stromversorgung), an "Uninterruptible Power Supply" (UPS), mainly a batterie and a monitoring system. Even in Germany used for eg computers, hospitals, etc. Perhaps just an real good overload protection may be enough. But you are right, you have to protect your digital appliancies for a current overload.
Offline Purellum  
#34 Posted : 06 March 2019 19:00:41(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Now, I am totally lost!!

Quite understandable, since some of the information you get is irrelevant and a bit of it even totally wrong.

Per.

Cool

UserPostedImage
Offline Purellum  
#35 Posted : 06 March 2019 19:50:33(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

But what will you do, if a king size expert is capturing your thread?

If your reference is to me, I asked you a question, for which not only I have expressed interest in your answer.

Instead of giving an answer, you posted a full page of useless links, without relevance to
your original statement about the CAN bus and galvanic isolation.

Instead of destroying the thread, you could have given us an answer........... Blink

Per.

Cool

UserPostedImage
Offline David Dewar  
#36 Posted : 06 March 2019 21:34:28(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Gentlemen. Lets just try and help Ranjit.

First you will not be disappointed of you buy a CS3 Plus. I have had mine for a few months and all is well and enjoyable to use.

Regarding turnouts with decoders this is more a matter of your track. With C track the decoders fit under the roadbed and saves extra wiring etc and in time you may wish to change to C track but everything will still work with K track as Wolfgang says above.

This type of thread can be confusing with different views. My view is simple. Buy a CS3 Plus and enjoy a new experience as you take your time to enjoy digital.
When up and running and you are not sure about something then that is the time for you to come on here and ask and you will get all the help you need.

David
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline Ranjit  
#37 Posted : 07 March 2019 06:00:47(UTC)
Ranjit

Thank you, Wolfgang and David, for your inputs! I am beginning to make headway.

I will go with what you have suggested, David. Like you, I too am a Marklin fan!

David...I am glad you have had some good experience with the CS3+!

By the way, are the m83 decoders for the K-track and signals mounted below the baseboard or above the baseboard?

Cheers,
Ranjit

#Get Vaccinated
Offline David Dewar  
#38 Posted : 07 March 2019 12:58:53(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   

I will go with what you have suggested, David. Like you, I too am a Marklin fan!

By the way, are the m83 decoders for the K-track and signals mounted below the baseboard or above the baseboard?

Cheers,
Ranjit

I don't have K track Ranjit but I think you have a choice regarding where to place track decoders etc.

Have you a good dealer to purchase your CS3 PLus from.
Offline Ranjit  
#39 Posted : 07 March 2019 16:14:07(UTC)
Ranjit

I don't have a good dealer to purchase the CS3+ from, David. I guess, I will try MSL as suggested by you. Who should I be in touch with over there?

Cheers,
Ranjit

#Get Vaccinated
Offline kiwiAlan  
#40 Posted : 07 March 2019 18:33:44(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

Cheers,
Ranjit

You can place the m83s anywhere that suits. Just remember each one can drive up to 4 points or signals. You can put the m83 in a position where it can connect to the maximum number of nearby points, including running some long wires if you want.

Offline TEEWolf  
#41 Posted : 07 March 2019 18:57:51(UTC)
TEEWolf

I don't have a good dealer to purchase the CS3+ from, David. I guess, I will try MSL as suggested by you. Who should I be in touch with over there?

Cheers,
Ranjit

Hello Ranjit,

I bought my CS 3+ at MSL with a 15% discountSmile. It was a perfect deal for me and MSL has a good service as well. For you as a non-EU resident, do not forget to get the refund for the VAT tax, if you order at MSL. Do not bother about this tax ID they want. You do not need it. Just request the deduction of the German VAT from your order. Normally it is like a 15,9% discount to you. (Exceptions e.g. are books they are priced with 7% VAT), because all prices shown on the MSL website are prices including 19% (or whatever) VAT. They have to do this. It is the law in Germany.

But of course, in the opposite you have to pay taxes, custom and what else is required by your home country. But MSL is experienced in VAT refunds. And do not forget to order minimum the 60061 power supply for a CS 3 (60216 or 60226) and the CS 3 Märklin book art #03092 (English version) all in one order. Saves shipping costs.BigGrin

Shipping costs for India (IN) are by MSL informations

https://www.modellbahnsh...-0-0-gb-0-0/versand.html

will be in Zone 5. It is a basic price of 22,50 €, plus 5,00 € for each Kilogramm. So for 10 Kilogramm you pay 72,50 € shipping costs.

Yes the m83 you can place anywhere it suits you. But think about the cabling, which you must do to your controller or layout power line AND to the solenoid actuator.

Best regards

Wolfgang

Offline David Dewar  
#42 Posted : 07 March 2019 23:40:31(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   

Cheers,
Ranjit

You can join the MSL Premium Club. You have to pay a fee for this but you will get and extra 10% off your CS3 PLus and also another 4% added to your account against a future purchase. You can also get a free catalogue of your choice if you wish.
That is how I bought my CS3 and saved money. IF you do this tell them that you are claiming your 10% against the purchase and of course it will be VAT free for you. Make sure you use the 10% against the CS3 plus and not against cheaper items.
Send me a PM Ranjit of you are not sure about this.

David
Offline river6109  
#43 Posted : 08 March 2019 01:12:52(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Ranjit, just send them an email (website) or if you already have made up your mind purchasing it, fill in the details and buy it and follow David's advice.

with the internet and Paypal its so easy to spend money

John
Offline Ranjit  
#44 Posted : 29 March 2019 03:41:35(UTC)
Ranjit

Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post
Wirth a large layout I would go for a CS3 Plus. Also buy the Marklin book (03092 I think is the number) this will answer most of your questions.

Take your time and buy the correct items at the start and with help on here all will be well.

Hey David...

The "Running Trains Digitally with the Central Station 3" (03092) book has arrived. I have just started flipping through the pages and find it to be a fabulous resource!

Thank you, David, for your suggestion.

Cheers,
Ranjit

#Get Vaccinated
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Ranjit
Offline DaleSchultz  
#45 Posted : 29 March 2019 15:34:43(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
I have concluded that these days, not only in the model train world, the success of any product relies on the software that is involved.

For a layout to be well controlled digitally, you therefore need good software.
Software in turn, relies on the controller provided a sufficiently rich interface to which the software can talk. That includes the ability to provide sensor feedback from the layout.

The software could be embedded in the controller itself, or it could run on a separate processor such as a PC, the rules are still the same.

The original Intellibox provided a very rich and robust interface. Good software coupled with it produces an amazing system with every possibility imaginable.

Sadly the newer Intellibox no longer supports its older p50b syntax as Uhlenbrock are going towards LocoNet, and the LocoNet method of providing sensor feedback has a major flaw, (but the Intellibox II has a workaround for the issue).

I have not dug into the richness of the interfaces with other controllers, but you can be sure that the quality of the software will be what makes you life either enjoyable, or frustrating.

To know what software you will be happy with, you need to decide how you want to run your layout. For example:

A) Do you want to run using full automation, with the computer setting routes and running the trains?
B) Do you want to control a train with a speed knob and let the computer set the routes and signals etc.
C) Do you want to set turnouts yourself and combine that with B?
D) Do you want to set signals yourself and combine that with C? (Do you even care about signalling?)
E) Do you want to run operational settings with one person manning each station and setting the entry signal plus turnouts to receive trains, possibly using a control desk with push buttons to set such routes?

So, I suggest you decide what type of operations you think you will need, then select software that meets that need, and then see what controllers that software will work on.

Whatever system you select - will work with K-Track. All track types have two electrical poles, and the electrical signal from the controller just needs to be connected to those two poles. No need for special connector rails or boxes.

Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#46 Posted : 28 December 2019 06:07:18(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I always recommend a CS 3 because beside the option to attach a S88 directly to the CS 3 , you get the galvanic isolation (important for the CAN bus) inside of your CS 3 .

Actually, the CS3 doesn't have any galvanic isolation only the CS3+ has it.

Why in the world would Marklin do that - i.e. have galvanic isolation in one and not the other, I have no idea!? I'd love to hear their reasons.

Plus, like Per I have no idea why galvanic isolation is important for the CAN bus. I look forward to the answer with anticipation!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline Goofy  
#47 Posted : 28 December 2019 10:18:53(UTC)
Goofy

Galvanizing is used to prevent corrosion (rust).

Stick back to the topic!
Ranjit did asked for help by start digital.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline Goofy  
#48 Posted : 28 December 2019 10:25:37(UTC)
Goofy

Hi All...

After being an "analogue" person for well over 55 years, I have started to seriously look at how I can incorporate Marklin Digital in my new layout which is currently in the planning stage.

Some members from another thread have suggested that I begin this journey by purchasing a MS2 (#60657), a track box (#60116) and a power supply (#66360). Of course, as a newbie in Marklin Digital, I have tons of initial questions. Here goes,

Surely, I will be bombarding you all with a lot more "digital" questions as we move along.

Take care.

Cheers,
Ranjit

If you want to use MS2 you need possible too by upgrade MS2 if there is further upgrades.
Of course you can also get a CS3 or CS3+.
Depends what you want.
I use CS3 because i don´t need more by expand digital.
CS3 will be fine too by control a big large layout.

H0
Offline cookee_nz  
#49 Posted : 28 December 2019 10:29:14(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post

Stick back to the topic!

Goofing off again.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galvanic_isolation

David is correct. Your translation has let you down. Galvanic has nothing to do with Galvanising

A similar technology is used in many other devices, for example MIDI (Musical Instrument Digital Interface) where the input / output are totally separated but the data between the two is achieved by Opto-Isolators. This prevents any possible electrical connection between them.

I really suggest an apology is in order and you should do a little more research before jumping to conclusions ??
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline Goofy  
#50 Posted : 28 December 2019 10:35:26(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post

Stick back to the topic!

Goofing off again.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galvanic_isolation

David is correct. Your translation has let you down. Galvanic has nothing to do with Galvanising

I really suggest an apology is in order.

Okey thanks!
But then in case...it is waste of money to buy CS3+.
It will be fine by use CS3.
Save money!
If you want MS2 and box connection you save more money.

H0