Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#1 Posted : 13 March 2018 14:32:05(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Hi everyone,

I had my original first generation ecos recently go kaputz on me during a software update. Sadly nobody seems to know a fix, and it will no longer read mfx, and gets amnesia in terms of layout and programming memory. Otherwise it does indeed work, but doesn't do me a ton of good as it doesn't remember my layout and decoder programming is a bit of a headache.

Anyhow, moving on. I'm begrudgingly committing the fortune needed to buy a new controller. Its seemingly down to a CS3 vs the new ECOS. Can anyone in simple terms elaborate on what might be capable of that the other isnt? Or any other pros and cons of the product?

I'm strongly leaning towards the ecos for cost and support reasons, (in the US both are issues with marklin), but I could immediately be swayed towards marklin if there is a good product reason to do so.

Any advice is appreciated!
SBB Era 2-5
Offline pederbc  
#2 Posted : 13 March 2018 15:02:16(UTC)
pederbc

Sweden   
Hi,

It’s always difficult to advise in these matters but I started with the b/w ECoS, sold it and bought the color ECoS. I then got in my head that maybe the CS2 was a better choice. But I never liked it, sold it, and was glad that I never sold the ECoS. So for me it’s ECoS all the way.....

Just my opinion :-)/Peder
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by pederbc
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 13 March 2018 15:12:28(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: pederbc Go to Quoted Post
It’s always difficult to advise in these matters
Yes. Try to get your hands on all the potential controllers before making a purchase decision.

I prefer the CS2 over the CS3. But since the last CS2 update a lot of things are different and programming an mfx locos means trial and error again.
But my favourite would be the ECoS.

With the ECoS I like loco selection by address, filtering the loco selection list by diesel/steam/electrics and by fav1/fav2/fav3. I like the choice between single and multi mode for each of the controllers, I like the ability to swap locos between left and right controller (especially useful when one controller is single and the other is multi).

The CS 60212 was the only Märklin controller with support for 28 speed steps with the MM protocol. The ECoS has it.
The CS2 treats all MM locos as MM 27, with the ECoS I can choose between MM 14, MM 27 and MM 28 to get the best results. I know what I'm doing, the MM 27 approach of the CS2 is a compromise that will reduce support incidents.

John, what do you particularly like about your ECoS? Maybe we can work out what you'd be missing with a CS3.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#4 Posted : 13 March 2018 15:30:42(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Thanks for the votes so far. A few answers and further notes:

What did I like about the ecos? Truth be told I liked everything! I really had no complaints. That being said, I never used it for more than running, decoder programming/tuning, and solenoid accessories. In the future this next controller will be used with a permanent layout and utilized to a greater capacity.

Why am I shy on Marklin? My 60212 was a miserable piece of equipment from day 1. I know the new ones are better but I'm having a hard time shaking the brain damage. ANd the fact I've had multiple MS1 and MS2 go bad on me- I don't trust reliability. That being said my ecos went bad too, but after 11 years and its a software update of sorts gone bad, it was working fine until that, so there is a slight chance it was a computer/updating issue and not the unit's fault.

Why am I curious about a new CS3? Perhaps it does things the Ecos doesn't, or is more "plug and play" with marklin digital hardware?

Another thought: does anyone know if the ESU decoder programmer (53452) does all CV programming for a locomotive that already has a decoder installed? (meaning, on a programming track not a decoder on a bench) If so, that would give me a good short term option by tuning decoders via the programmer and PC, and running my test layout with MS2. Then I can buy the ECOS/CS3 at a later date and after more hands-on experience.
SBB Era 2-5
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 13 March 2018 16:11:16(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: 5HorizonsRR Go to Quoted Post
Another thought: does anyone know if the ESU decoder programmer (53452) does all CV programming for a locomotive that already has a decoder installed?
53451? Yes.
There are some limitations with ESU mfx decoders in locos with C Sine motors. You may have to install the decoder in a non-C Sine loco or a decoder tester to make changes.

For Märklin mfx decoders and other non-ESU decoders you can only use DCC CV programming, not the decoder-specific fancy LokProgrammer UI. And if it is a decoder without DCC then you can only use the MS2 to change very few values.
You cannot upload sound to non-ESU decoders.

You can even test-run locos on the programming track using the LokProgrammer (DCC or MM protocol).
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline michelvr  
#6 Posted : 13 March 2018 16:17:44(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Good morning John,

What a coincidence as I set up the Marklin CS3 yesterday to operate a test oval on my dining room table. From my limited experience so far I think the only REAL con for the ECoS is that the MFX+ locomotive features are absent. Those are the locomotive cab pictures on the display and the consumption items, fuel, water etc. Besides this feature they are both more or less the same, they control model trains.

You are right in saying the ECoS is favoured over the Marklin CS3. As the owner of both the ESU ECoS and Marklin CS3+ May I state a few points to ponder.

The ECoS is user friendly and easy to operate. By that I mean it is well thought out and logical in the placement of features.

So far the CS3 is not so easy to use. It does not have an intuitive felling to it like the ECoS. You really need to understand and read the manual to figure out what the designer had intended it to do. So far my experience with the CS3 is not to favourable because I have become used to the ECoS.

So in closing may I say that I have been an ECoS 50200 user since November 2012, that is five plus years of controlling my Marklin trains. The ECoS is not going to be replaced because it works and it works very well for me!

Please note: The Marklin CS3+ that I have is for sale as advertised on the forum previously.

Michel
Offline sudibarba  
#7 Posted : 13 March 2018 16:57:39(UTC)
sudibarba

United States   
In my opinion, the CS3 does not work anywhere near advertized functionality. I have severe problems with mine as a number of forum
members do. Updating, manually loading addresses in ESU decoders not to mention that the touch screen can be a pain at times.
I am going to ride it out a while and work with the issues but I should not have to be going through this. I still have my CS2 which after
a lot of updates was better.

If I were buying today it would be ECOS - it is reported to be reliable and has more power output. I am not sure about Lok pictures and how
that works as I do not think they have a library of Marklin photos built in. Maybe someone can explain how that works.

Eric

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by sudibarba
Offline michelvr  
#8 Posted : 13 March 2018 17:20:35(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Originally Posted by: sudibarba Go to Quoted Post

I am not sure about Lok pictures and how that works as I do not think they have a library of Marklin photos built in. Maybe someone can explain how that works.

Eric

There is a library of Marklin and other manufacturers loks. It's very easy either you download the pictures from the ESU ECoS lok library or take your own pictures and upload them into the ECoS .

Check out http://www.esu.eu/en/downloads/loco-pictures/

You must own an ECoS to view the site.
Michel
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by michelvr
Offline Minok  
#9 Posted : 13 March 2018 20:13:39(UTC)
Minok

United States   
And if you only need the very basic functions from the locomotives, the Z21 supports MM and has a pretty good interface and ability to use tablets to control the layout via a web interface.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline David Dewar  
#10 Posted : 13 March 2018 20:32:15(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Only Marklin for me. They make my track and locos so I need them.. I don't need ESU for anything. ECOS may well be very good but my CS2 has lasted at least 8 years or more with no problem and I will in few months go for the CS3.
Everybody has their own choice. At least Marklin will ensure that their controller will be able to update to any future changes to their Locos.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline michelvr  
#11 Posted : 14 March 2018 03:56:16(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Originally Posted by: michelvr Go to Quoted Post

Please note: The Marklin CS3+ that I have is for sale as advertised on the forum previously.

Michel

Please note; The Marklin CS3+ and the Marklin 60065 that I had for sale has now been sold.

Regards,

Michel
Offline H0  
#12 Posted : 14 March 2018 08:06:00(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post
Only Marklin for me. They make my track and locos so I need them.. I don't need ESU for anything.
Märklin sold ESU decoders from 2004 until about 2011.
Märklin sold the Central Station 60212 which was developed by ESU. Märklin stopped supporting the 60212 after a short time, but ESU continue to support the 60212 (for those who paid an upgrade fee).

Märklin dropped the 60212 soon and that helped to wreck my loyalty towards Märklin.

My first Tillig cars came with a Märklin logo on the box. I like them and bought many Tillig cars since then.
Why should I buy "Märklin only" when Märklin sell items from many different manufacturers?
Why should I be loyal to a company that left me alone with an expensive, but only semi-useful Central Station?
Other companies have more experience with respect to digital controllers and decoders ...
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline David Dewar  
#13 Posted : 14 March 2018 11:40:25(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
I understand what HO is saying having been let down with the original CS which came from ESU. However they have now split form ESU and I don't buy ESU locos or coaches and they don't make C track so as I said I don't need them but I do need Marklin.
As in previous threads all ESU owners come to their defence which is what I would do if I owned one.
The way I look at it is of Marklin goes bust it is a disaster but if ESU goes bust it is unfortunate and I would not want it to happen but it is not a disaster for the hobby.
Everybody has a choice of what they buy and i have bought Brawa in the past but again I don't need them as they do not provide a complete service for the hobby.
I had an original CS which was not great but now I have no probs with the later model which has nothing to do with ESU. When I buy my CS3 it may have problems although hopefully not but it wont deter me from Marklin.
As our orginal poster says ESU is about cost and support so that is what to go for if that is what is required;.

As a matter of interest what is the warranty from Marklin if using another manufacturers control system with their locos etc.

Anyway no need for the Marklin v ESU stuff as everybody just buys what they like and I fully respect that.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline MaerklinLife  
#14 Posted : 14 March 2018 12:32:55(UTC)
MaerklinLife

Asking what is best "ESU or Märklin" will give you just as many opinions as there are people answering. Also, it is religion. There is no real unbiased answer.

Try the things for yourself is always the best option. That of course can be difficult if there are no stores near by. Looking at what you said about your passion for the ECoS. I would seriously consider staying with the ECoS. Especially if you cannot get your hands on the CS3 and try it in advance. It can be a learning curve coming from another system. I find it easy, clearly, others do not.

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Märklin sold ESU decoders from 2004 until about 2011.
My first Tillig cars came with a Märklin logo on the box. I like them and bought many Tillig cars since then.
Why should I buy "Märklin only" when Märklin sell items from many different manufacturers?
Why should I be loyal to a company that left me alone with an expensive, but only semi-useful Central Station?
Other companies have more experience with respect to digital controllers and decoders ...

You strike me as someone who would be more happy if you were a 2-railer, since the only thing you seem to buy from Märklin is the expensive track. Why not go for it and never look back?
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by MaerklinLife
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#15 Posted : 14 March 2018 17:11:10(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
guys- no arguments please. Its silly, and we can all make our own choices. I started this thread simply to ask the pros and cons before I make my largest hobby purchase of the year. As stated earlier I can buy either just as easily, and for me its a matter of functionality followed by support/warranty, not the name on the box.

I appreciate all of your feedback. I'm going to dig a bit more before making any decisions, but so far replacing my Ecos is likely the way I'll go.
SBB Era 2-5
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by 5HorizonsRR
Offline leistef  
#16 Posted : 14 March 2018 18:21:46(UTC)
leistef

United States   
Well I like Märklin as I have a CS2 and CS3+. I can’t compare with ESU as I have never owned one. My CS2 works great a a slave unit with my CS3+. Updates are on going with no problems so far on both Central Stations. Uploading train photos are easy to do and running the CS3+ on iMac PC is just great as I also have JMRI on it. I don’t need any feeder wires on my layout which is DCC N Scale 4X11. All 15 turnouts work great and easy to set up. The new English manual from Märklin is a must. Running both systems on my iPhone and iPad are great. Sorry I don’t run any MFX locos. Card readers from Trix are easy to use. I can run 6 to 7 trains together pretty easy and I like the layout screen on the CS3+. CV changes are pretty easy. Also added a mobile Station controller for my granddaughter which plugs into the CS3+. Hope this helps on your decision. 🚂🚂🚂
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by leistef
Offline Minok  
#17 Posted : 14 March 2018 19:29:21(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Seems to me that if you expect to ever want to play with the MFX+ world of operations features of the locomotives that have it the CS3/plus is the way to go, otherwise its a cosmetic/user interface/personal taste choice.
---
My YouTube Channel:
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Minok
Offline sudibarba  
#18 Posted : 15 March 2018 03:56:18(UTC)
sudibarba

United States   
Originally Posted by: michelvr Go to Quoted Post

I am not sure about Lok pictures and how that works as I do not think they have a library of Marklin photos built in. Maybe someone can explain how that works.

Eric

There is a library of Marklin and other manufacturers loks. It's very easy either you download the pictures from the ESU ECoS lok library or take your own pictures and upload them into the ECoS .

Check out http://www.esu.eu/en/downloads/loco-pictures/

You must own an ECoS to view the site.
Michel

Thanks,
Eric
Offline sudibarba  
#19 Posted : 15 March 2018 04:08:46(UTC)
sudibarba

United States   
I understand what HO is saying having been let down with the original CS which came from ESU. However they have now split form ESU and I don't buy ESU locos or coaches and they don't make C track so as I said I don't need them but I do need Marklin.
As in previous threads all ESU owners come to their defence which is what I would do if I owned one.
The way I look at it is of Marklin goes bust it is a disaster but if ESU goes bust it is unfortunate and I would not want it to happen but it is not a disaster for the hobby.
Everybody has a choice of what they buy and i have bought Brawa in the past but again I don't need them as they do not provide a complete service for the hobby.
I had an original CS which was not great but now I have no probs with the later model which has nothing to do with ESU. When I buy my CS3 it may have problems although hopefully not but it wont deter me from Marklin.
As our orginal poster says ESU is about cost and support so that is what to go for if that is what is required;.

As a matter of interest what is the warranty from Marklin if using another manufacturers control system with their locos etc.

Anyway no need for the Marklin v ESU stuff as everybody just buys what they like and I fully respect that.

David,
I would be very carefull before you buy a CS3. It is very flawed. I have gone from analouge to the 6021, cs2 and now the CS3.While the concept and design are great it simply does not work now.
I was an early adopter of the CS2 ansd struggled through many updates. It is informative that they are still issuuing updates.
To day the CS3 is a piece of XXXX.,
Eric
Offline MaerklinLife  
#20 Posted : 15 March 2018 06:14:15(UTC)
MaerklinLife

To day the CS3 is a piece of XXXX.

It would be nice if you could elaborate at bit. It seems to work fine for many people. What exactly makes the CS3 complete and useless garbage? Please enlighten me.

Yes it had some issues in the beginning, but with the updates it now very stable. Did you update yours at all? It doesn't sound like it.

Mine works just fine, I do not have any problems. Things cab alwayd be improved.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by MaerklinLife
Offline H0  
#21 Posted : 15 March 2018 10:39:24(UTC)
H0

Märklin Germany are not legally provided to give any warranty to customers who bought Märklin products from third parties. So they can limit their warranty in any way they like.
But they are legally required to fulfil the warranty as advertised. The warranty conditions can be found in the new items brochure.
AIUI you do not void the warranty of Märklin locos when you lube them with Fleischmann oil, or install Roco couplers, or drive them with an ECoS or Intellibox, or replace brushes as shown in the manual.

German professional dealers are legally required to give you two years of warranty (can be reduced to one year for second-hand items). Dealers can hardly get out of this warranty in the first six month unless they proof the customer made a mistake.

Originally Posted by: MaerklinLife Go to Quoted Post
You strike me as someone who would be more happy if you were a 2-railer, since the only thing you seem to buy from Märklin is the expensive track. Why not go for it and never look back?
I know this is a Märklin forum and anybody who dare criticise Märklin gets told to move to a Roco forum, a Piko forum, or an ESU forum.

I buy rolling stock from many different brands, including Märklin. I buy when I expect to get good value for my money.
Because I buy many different brands I know that
  • Märklin is and was a reseller for many other brands and
  • that some of Märklin's own products are just mediocre.

Because Märklin sold and sell many other brands in Märklin boxes, I'm amused when I read "I buy Märklin only".

I'm happy with my Märklin Central Station 60212 - and if it should fail one day I will probably buy an ECoS from the company that made the Märklin Central Station 60212.
How much Komtron is in the CS2? Who was the development partner for the CS3?

From my PC I'm used to industrial standards: I can buy CPU, motherboard, HDD, and DVD drive from different brands and they will work together.
MRR is less standardised, but e.g. decoder sockets and LocoNet (supported by my Central Station) allow some mixing.

If you want RailCom, RailCom+, or LocoNet then you can get it with an ECoS, but not with a CS2 or CS3.
OTOH there is no mfx+ with an ECoS.
Those who buy an ECoS can enjoy mfx+ with the PC version of the CS2 software.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline David Dewar  
#22 Posted : 15 March 2018 11:54:39(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   

David,
I would be very carefull before you buy a CS3. It is very flawed. I have gone from analouge to the 6021, cs2 and now the CS3.While the concept and design are great it simply does not work now.
I was an early adopter of the CS2 ansd struggled through many updates. It is informative that they are still issuuing updates.
Eric

Interesting. Can you tell me what does not work with the CS3. Like you I have gone through all the various Marklin control systems and all have been fine. I would expect this of the CS3plus but it wouold be good if you could explain what is wrong with it before I buy.
Offline David Dewar  
#23 Posted : 15 March 2018 12:01:00(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Märklin Germany are not legally provided to give any warranty to customers who bought Märklin products from third parties. So they can limit their warranty in any way they like.
But they are legally required to fulfil the warranty as advertised. The warranty conditions can be found in the new items brochure.
AIUI you do not void the warranty of Märklin locos when you lube them with Fleischmann oil, or install Roco couplers, or drive them with an ECoS or Intellibox, or replace brushes as shown in the manual.

German professional dealers are legally required to give you two years of warranty (can be reduced to one year for second-hand items). Dealers can hardly get out of this warranty in the first six month unless they proof the customer made a mistake.

I know this is a Märklin forum and anybody who dare criticise Märklin gets told to move to a Roco forum, a Piko forum, or an ESU forum.

I buy rolling stock from many different brands, including Märklin. I buy when I expect to get good value for my money.
Because I buy many different brands I know that
  • Märklin is and was a reseller for many other brands and
  • that some of Märklin's own products are just mediocre.

Because Märklin sold and sell many other brands in Märklin boxes, I'm amused when I read "I buy Märklin only".

I'm happy with my Märklin Central Station 60212 - and if it should fail one day I will probably buy an ECoS from the company that made the Märklin Central Station 60212.

From my PC I'm used to industrial standards: I can buy CPU, motherboard, HDD, and DVD drive from different brands and they will work together.
MRR is less standardised, but e.g. decoder sockets and LocoNet (supported by my Central Station) allow some mixing.

If you want RailCom, RailCom+, or LocoNet then you can get it with an ECoS, but not with a CS2 or CS3.

Interesting re the warranty Tom and thanks for info.
Regarding your ECOS I think l it would be fair to say you are a model rail enthusiast and purchase what you like best and I expect many do exactly the same. I just prefer Marklin as their products have not let me down and they need to stay in business or some other company has to start making C track. Would like to see an ECOS working but here nobody I know has one and there are no sellers. Same of course can be said that there are no marklin sellers either.
Offline MaerklinLife  
#24 Posted : 15 March 2018 12:16:20(UTC)
MaerklinLife

I never said that, nor do I mean that. You just strike me as a person who has "had enough of Märklin". So why not be done with it once and for all.

Tell me why that matters? Komtron is that some electronics company who made the CS1? Tell me why this is important to the normal consumer?

They could also just buy a CS3 and not need anything else. If mfx+ is what you want then why not get the true experience in form of a single CS3, instead of a multiverse of hardware that needs to be connected for it to work.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by MaerklinLife
Offline Minok  
#25 Posted : 15 March 2018 12:41:15(UTC)
Minok

United States   

They could also just buy a CS3 and not need anything else. If mfx+ is what you want then why not get the true experience in form of a single CS3, instead of a multiverse of hardware that needs to be connected for it to work.

I suspect many people already have an old PC laying around they can use to run the exe, if that's all it takes to add the MFX+ experience. The plugging in of equipment is really pretty trivial such as I don't expect that to a barrier or inconvenience for someone going deep Wnough to run in MFX+ mode.

But as I'd prefer a PC control interface anyway, eliminating both expensive consoles is the ideal, just needing a way to get the commands into the digital track signal , so then the least expensive option is more important than the brand necessarily.
---
My YouTube Channel:
Online river6109  
#26 Posted : 15 March 2018 13:44:33(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
it took me several years to decide which control station I should buy, when I saw all the spaghetti wires and cables going about how to connect the old motorola system I was leaning more to the ECOS, my other reason was, when buying lokpilots or sound decoders I have a 3 year warranty whereas at the time Märklin demanded you'll send in the whole loco to get the decoder repaired, the postal charges for these inconveniences are very high.
I personally looked at the whole parcel and not just one item and its not easy for anyone to decide what is the best for them.
Märklin introduced a 32 Aux function table whereas ESU has 28 and with 6 Aux functions to play with its becoming harder to apply all sound slots, as well as acceleration and shunting mode, sound fader, break squeal off or on.
would it not be cheaper and see if you can repair the CS 1 ? and see if you got enough money left to buy a new ECoS ?

please note: since I've bought the ECoS, Märklin has made a lot of improvements e.g.: sound decoder programmer, sound decoders with improved sound files, at the time this wasn't available from Märklin, also the cost of buying decoders was much higher than ESU with restricted access to CV's

regards.,

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline MaerklinLife  
#27 Posted : 15 March 2018 14:23:35(UTC)
MaerklinLife

Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post
But as I'd prefer a PC control interface anyway, eliminating both expensive consoles is the ideal, just needing a way to get the commands into the digital track signal , so then the least expensive option is more important than the brand necessarily.

In that case neither the CS3 nor the ECoS is really relevant, unless you want mfx of course.

You could get by with a simple DCC and/or MM station.

I just believe that a lot of users are not interested in having both pc and network and all sorts of extra gear. They just want one controller (like CS or ECoS). A "one box" solution.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#28 Posted : 15 March 2018 15:06:29(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

I have assumed it is the same partner as the cs2, but I could be wrong.

Oh, so the PC software works well enough with a cs1 reloaded?

Offline Minok  
#29 Posted : 15 March 2018 17:11:43(UTC)
Minok

United States   

In that case neither the CS3 nor the ECoS is really relevant, unless you want mfx of course.

You could get by with a simple DCC and/or MM station.

I just believe that a lot of users are not interested in having both pc and network and all sorts of extra gear. They just want one controller (like CS or ECoS). A "one box" solution.

True, for some group of folks a single box on the layout to control it all is the solution.

In my case, I'm hoping the mfx capabilites of the BananaPi + Gleisbox solution will work well, and then I'll need to only fire up CS2.exe if I want to play mfx+ world of operation with a locomotive - though one then has to be carefull with the automation over WinDigipet/TrainController as those programs wont' know about what your doing with your manually controlled train that isn't being operated via the interface of from PC control. In an ideal world WDP/TC would some day add a module to do mfx+ things, but I'm not holding my breath.
---
My YouTube Channel:
Offline MaerklinLife  
#30 Posted : 15 March 2018 17:24:24(UTC)
MaerklinLife

In my case, I'm hoping the mfx capabilites of the BananaPi + Gleisbox solution will work well, and then I'll need to only fire up CS2.exe if I want to play mfx+ world of operation with a locomotive - though one then has to be carefull with the automation over WinDigipet/TrainController as those programs wont' know about what your doing with your manually controlled train that isn't being operated via the interface of from PC control. In an ideal world WDP/TC would some day add a module to do mfx+ things, but I'm not holding my breath.

I don't think WDP/TC will ever release mfx+ things. Personally, I like the consumption part, I am not into the cab control part. The consumption part would be even more awesome if the CS actually knew where the train was. That way I could truly only refuel when I am at the refuelling station on my layout. That would be a nice touch.

I some times wonder what would happen if Märklin just released a "box thing" that could do Mobile Station 2, S88 and network. Much like the Z21. I wonder if that would cripple the sales of the CS3 as people would just use a computer instead. It might. It does seem like that is what a lot of customers basically just want. Perhaps a booster option as well.
Offline Minok  
#31 Posted : 15 March 2018 17:54:25(UTC)
Minok

United States   

I don't think WDP/TC will ever release mfx+ things. Personally, I like the consumption part, I am not into the cab control part. The consumption part would be even more awesome if the CS actually knew where the train was. That way I could truly only refuel when I am at the refuelling station on my layout. That would be a nice touch.

I some times wonder what would happen if Märklin just released a "box thing" that could do Mobile Station 2, S88 and network. Much like the Z21. I wonder if that would cripple the sales of the CS3 as people would just use a computer instead. It might. It does seem like that is what a lot of customers basically just want. Perhaps a booster option as well.

Indeed. A reasonably priced base box that is network to track and power with a web interface like the black Z21. Then sell as an add-on module any control/touchscreen/layout necessary hardware that clips on top of that base box and gets you what is effectively a CS3/3+. I'd buy that base in a heartbeat. It keeps the option of expanding with the add on part later, but lets those that don't want the knobs and touchscreen and management of the layout part there, not have to buy those things.

Then if they licensed the mfx+ world of operations stuff and provided a feedback API that worked so that one could tie addressing consumable/service issues to the locations on the layout (be they in the CS3 add on box, or via an API to external software), better still.

But as they have such problems just standing up a functional CS3, its clear that software and complex APIs are not at all a skill Märklin has; they are a manufacturing company that does just enough technology because it has to; they would have to expand their technology capabilities and personnel, and its not clear the market would sustain that sort of financial investment/risk.

But one can dream.
---
My YouTube Channel:
Offline sudibarba  
#32 Posted : 16 March 2018 01:38:13(UTC)
sudibarba

United States   

David,
Eric

Interesting. Can you tell me what does not work with the CS3. Like you I have gone through all the various Marklin control systems and all have been fine. I would expect this of the CS3plus but it wouold be good if you could explain what is wrong with it before I buy.

David,
I am not vain enough to think that I could not be doing something wrong with my CS3 which is why I posted to begin with- see topic "Has anyone updated the CS3 to 1.3.2 ?".
The responses I have seen posted so far are not that encouraging. I have also received several pm's from very active users who are also having problems - I don't know why they
chose to email vs posting but I have to respect their choice. I am still trying to work around and will continue for a while longer. I then will have to send it back to the dealer or Marklin
for inspection and maybe help.
Eric
Offline H0  
#33 Posted : 16 March 2018 07:01:59(UTC)
H0

If mfx+ is what you want then why not get the true experience in form of a single CS3, instead of a multiverse of hardware that needs to be connected for it to work.
With the PC software you can evaluate mfx+ without any costs.

mfx+ is not a loco simulator, it is just a graphic UI to operate model trains. Procedures that make an mfx+ steam loco run fast would make a real steam loco explode.

I knew after less than 30 minutes that mfx+ is of no value for me.

Oh, so the PC software works well enough with a cs1 reloaded?
The PC software does not work with the CS1R.
What I meant to say: Anybody can evaluate mfx+ with the PC version of the CS2 software without hardware and without expenses.
Those who find mfx+ as boring as I do can then happily drive their trains with an ECoS or Intellibox or whatever, knowing that mfx+ does not improve their MRR experience.

I never said that, nor do I mean that. You just strike me as a person who has "had enough of Märklin". So why not be done with it once and for all.
I will stick to three-rail track. I've had my share of good and not so good Märklin items.
When I buy MRR items I do some cherry-picking to avoid lemons.
I didn't have enough of Märklin, but I had too many not so good items from Märklin and now I select with more care.

I bought Märklin's Merkur set 43290 and found it especially detailed. Later I found out it was made by Fleischmann.
I bought Märklin's tank car set 46548 and found it especially detailed. Later I found out it was made by Tillig. Those were my first Tillig cars, but many others followed. Märklin opened my eyes for the quality of Tillig rolling stock.

I bought a Märklin Central Station and it turned out to be an ESU ECoS in disguise. Now I'm an ECoS fan.

In the 2015 New Items brochure they wrote: "If it says Märklin on the outside, it's Märklin on the inside!"
LOL
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline MaerklinLife  
#34 Posted : 16 March 2018 12:29:01(UTC)
MaerklinLife

I bought a Märklin Central Station and it turned out to be an ESU ECoS in disguise. Now I'm an ECoS fan.

I always thought that the CS1 came first, developed by ESU on behalf of Märklin, and then put in a different box and renamed.

Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#35 Posted : 16 March 2018 14:00:09(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   

I always thought that the CS1 came first, developed by ESU on behalf of Märklin, and then put in a different box and renamed.

I think this is the ESU CS1 reloaded kit, which reflashes the software to run an ecos software in the marklin box. It made my CS1 go from the junk pile to useable!
SBB Era 2-5
Offline TEEWolf  
#36 Posted : 16 March 2018 18:00:32(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: 5HorizonsRR Go to Quoted Post
Hi everyone,

I had my original first generation ecos recently go kaputz on me during a software update. Sadly nobody seems to know a fix, and it will no longer read mfx, and gets amnesia in terms of layout and programming memory. Otherwise it does indeed work, but doesn't do me a ton of good as it doesn't remember my layout and decoder programming is a bit of a headache.

Anyhow, moving on. I'm begrudgingly committing the fortune needed to buy a new controller. Its seemingly down to a CS3 vs the new ECOS. Can anyone in simple terms elaborate on what might be capable of that the other isnt? Or any other pros and cons of the product?

I'm strongly leaning towards the ecos for cost and support reasons, (in the US both are issues with marklin), but I could immediately be swayed towards marklin if there is a good product reason to do so.

Any advice is appreciated!

I bought a CS 3+, although I had 2 MS 2 before - nothing else.

The CS 3+ because it comes with an seperated isolation inside for using the fully functions of the CAN-bus. You can achieve the same effect with a CS 3 as well, but you need seperate devices for this. They cost as much as the price difference is to a CS 3+. Also in Germany you get the CS 3+ with an higher discount as the CS 3.

My decision was also based on the fact, only with a CS 3 you achieve the best technology for a MRR controller. And yes, I underestimated the CS 3+ complexity, especially if you want to use the mfx+ function. But more and more Märklin locos are comming with this function and you only can use it with a CS 3. No other controller does mfx+, but this is really a good new game expierince. You have to learn how to drive all three types of locos - steamer, Diesel, electric one. Honestly, I still cannot do it for them all. So I am very happy to get various modes with different complexity.

Another reason was, updating a MS 2 you need a CS. If you do not have a dealer or friend with a CS (does not matter CS 2 or CS 3) nearby, you have to buy your own one. So I did.

I have no idea about the newest ECos. So I really cannot do a comparison. But for me the Märklin is the technical state of the art standard at the moment. 32-bit processor, many storage room, etc., etc.. Only the touch screen is for ladies or kids. BigGrin My fingerprints are very often still too large for tipping on screen. Mainly I have to use a mouse for operation. But my mouse is functioning pefectly and I am already used to it by my notebook.

Offline MaerklinLife  
#37 Posted : 16 March 2018 18:26:33(UTC)
MaerklinLife

Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post

I have no idea about the newest ECos. So I really cannot do a comparison.

The newest ECoS is what, 8 years old? Yees a "new" one came last year, but hardly new except more power output. Nothing else.

The software got a pretty cool update a few years ago with great performance improvements. To my knowledge it still doesn't do the same degree of automation as the CS2/CS3 but it does do some nifty things with RailCom that the CS obviously cannot do.

The graphics on the ECoS looks like 1995 computer game and does not have the same coolness as the CS3. But that is of course more a personal preference.
Offline sudibarba  
#38 Posted : 17 March 2018 02:05:49(UTC)
sudibarba

United States   
Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post

I have no idea about the newest ECos. So I really cannot do a comparison.

The newest ECoS is what, 8 years old? Yees a "new" one came last year, but hardly new except more power output. Nothing else.

The software got a pretty cool update a few years ago with great performance improvements. To my knowledge it still doesn't do the same degree of automation as the CS2/CS3 but it does do some nifty things with RailCom that the CS obviously cannot do.

The graphics on the ECoS looks like 1995 computer game and does not have the same coolness as the CS3. But that is of course more a personal preference.

I hear you, but all I want to do is update decoders and that sort of thing. Graphics are nice but do not that matter to me if they are reasonable. My CS3 does not allow me to do those things.
Once again, I feel that I am failing, but others are having probelms too. Now, I can change addresses with my Lok Pilot programmer and control them fine on the programming track. I can't get the CS3
to accept the adresses and run.

Oh well, I will sort it out somehow.

Eric
Offline H0  
#39 Posted : 17 March 2018 08:19:44(UTC)
H0

The graphics on the ECoS looks like 1995 computer game and does not have the same coolness as the CS3.
I rate usability higher than cool looks.
On the CS3 the control panels for the locos are attached popup windows. You can move them around, you can resize them, you can hide them. So cool! Cool

My fingers are too thick and too often when I try to control anything about the loco, I instead move or resize the window. Cursing

That is one reason why I advise to get the hands on both devices and try how they work for you. ThumpUp
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Bart  
#40 Posted : 18 March 2018 00:27:20(UTC)
Bart

Netherlands   

You mean LocoNet using the ESU L.Net converter?
Could one by any chance use the L.Net converter with CS3?
Is the Bus similar in ECoS and CS3/3+?

*Bart
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#41 Posted : 18 March 2018 01:24:56(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Bart Go to Quoted Post
You mean LocoNet using the ESU L.Net converter?
Could one by any chance use the L.Net converter with CS3?

No, because the software on the CS3 has to support the L.Net adapter, and Marklin won't do that for a 3rd party device, especially one made by ESU.

There is also a limitation with the L.Net adapter in that it wants to be the master Loconet device. You can't use a second L.Net adapter with a second Ecos as a slave unit.

I have a CS2, two CS1's (one of which is reloaded) and an original Ecos (Nev's old one actually), but I don't have a CS3 as yet. I like how Marklin have made it possible to have multiple controllers connected together.

I also like many of the features of the Ecos - as Tom points out, you can have multiple locos on a throttle window, and you can swap locos between the left and right throttle windows.

I think the Marklin controllers work best with Marklin locos, if you have locos from many manufacturers then the Ecos might be a better choice.
Offline Crazy Harry  
#42 Posted : 18 March 2018 01:54:01(UTC)
Crazy Harry

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
I think the Marklin controllers work best with Marklin locos, if you have locos from many manufacturers then the Ecos might be a better choice.

Just to clarify - Do you mean Marklin controllers work best with Marklin decoders and ECoS may be better for other decoder manufacturers/protocols?

Thanks,

Harold.

Offline Goofy  
#43 Posted : 18 March 2018 08:28:40(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: Crazy Harry Go to Quoted Post

Just to clarify - Do you mean Marklin controllers work best with Marklin decoders and ECoS may be better for other decoder manufacturers/protocols?

Thanks,

Harold.

It doesn´t matter.
So long there is digital contact works between decoder and the central it works.
The difference are quality and mostly use ESU sound decoder than Märklins.

H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline Goofy  
#44 Posted : 18 March 2018 08:33:19(UTC)
Goofy

I too have problem to choice central station.
I plan to buy but i see and understand there is also pro and cons in the CS3 and Ecos.
The question is if fairly enough to use central station without cons?
Right now i use Lenz digital plus and there is no cons to use it.
The only problem with Lenz it´s an old system.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline H0  
#45 Posted : 18 March 2018 08:51:54(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Bart Go to Quoted Post
Is the Bus similar in ECoS and CS3/3+?
CS1, ECoS, CS2, and CS3 all use the CAN bus.
But CS2 and MS2 introduced a new, incompatible protocol. CS2 supports the protocols for MS1 and MS2, but CS1/ECoS only support the MS1.

The ECoSBoost can be used with the CS1 (even without ESU update), but probably not with CS2 or CS3.
The L.Net adapter works with ECoS and CS1R. Märklin could make the CS2 or CS3 use it too, if they wanted and if they worked with ESU.

With respect to unique features: CS1 and ECoS have the Sniffer port. You can attach the output of other digital controllers to the Sniffer port and use them as additional throttles.
The Sniffer port also allows you to control which locos can be controlled. You can e.g. attach an MS2/trackbox to the Sniffer and use it for children or visitors and limit which trains they can control.
You can also use a CS2 as a slave by connecting it to the Sniffer.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#46 Posted : 19 March 2018 04:25:45(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
With respect to unique features: CS1 and ECoS have the Sniffer port. You can attach the output of other digital controllers to the Sniffer port and use them as additional throttles.

This comment should also be qualified with the limitations that apply to using the sniffer port. You can only 'sniff' MM addresses - mfx and DCC (as far as I know) addresses cannot be used.

My comment relating to using a Marklin controller if you only have Marklin locos should also be clarified - if all of your MRR equipment - locos, signals, decoders, k/m 83, k/m 84 - are Marklin, then it is sensible to stick with a Marklin controller.

If you have other makes and models, that does not preclude you from using Marklin controllers, but something like an Ecos may make better sense.

At the end of the day there is no right or wrong in this matter, folks will make their decisions based on their list of requirements - cost, functionality, compatibility, availability, availability of support, etc.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline Danlake  
#47 Posted : 19 March 2018 07:49:03(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
I have only first hand experience with Marklin CS controllers, but the main differences I have observed is (which I belie you asking for in your first post):

For Marklin
CS3 has better Color display/resolution with more modern display menus
More sophisticated route automation
Has Mfx+ simulation mode
Super fast Mfx registration
Regular updates and Marklin does seem to continue improve product

Against Marklin
Difficult to use display with fingers
Issues with CV programming for DCC decoders
Speed knobs not accurately enough so each click does not represent a single speed step.
Manuals are written in German and then poorly translated
Limited flexibility in power output

For Esu
Experts in decoders and sound simulations
Good robust product
You can buy replacement parts (e.g. new speed knobs)
Excellent well written English manuals
You can choose power output

Against Esu
Outdated display including train icons etc.
Basic route automation
Controller hardware not been updated in years
Slow Mfx registration (can take up 2 minutes)

Which controller depends on your needs and preferences. What works for some will not work for others. If I mainly had non Mfx locomotives I would choose Esu, but if you have mainly Mfx loco and want to do some automation with your central station then you might be better off with Marklin.

Good luck!

Brgds Lasse

Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Danlake
Offline H0  
#48 Posted : 19 March 2018 08:18:12(UTC)
H0

This comment should also be qualified with the limitations that apply to using the sniffer port. You can only 'sniff' MM addresses - mfx and DCC (as far as I know) addresses cannot be used.
No, DCC addresses can be used (with ECoS and CS1R).

Another unique feature: the ECoS/CS1R can show the speed step send to a loco. On the CS2 that display is sometimes off by one and sometimes off by more than one (with other words the speed step display is completely useless).

With ECoS/CS1R you can operate mfx locos with 28 or 126 speed steps (with CS2 you only can use 126 speed steps).
With CS1R fewer speed steps mean fewer turns of the speed knob are needed to accelerate or brake (makes no real difference when you touch the screen to accelerate or brake).

Originally Posted by: Danlake Go to Quoted Post
Against Esu
Outdated display including train icons etc.
Basic route automation
Pro ESU: advanced route automation possible with RailCom.
"Outdated display" is a very subjective rating. It is a colour display 800x480 (just like the CS2).
The display of the CS3 has the same physical dimensions, but a slightly higher resolution of 1024x600.

With other words: they all have displays I would not accept with a new laptop computer ...
But for a MRR controller those displays do their job.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#49 Posted : 19 March 2018 10:20:25(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
For those that can read German (I can't!), I just came across a review of the Ecos in the January 2011 edition of Digitale Modellbahn (page 10)

Digitale Modellbahn 2011-01.pdf (11,149kb) downloaded 62 time(s).
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline H0  
#50 Posted : 19 March 2018 11:13:37(UTC)
H0

I just came across a review of the Ecos in the January 2011 edition of Digitale Modellbahn
Naturally a review that is seven years old cannot cover improvements of the last 7 years.

For example it got faster since then and now includes a VNC server (another unique feature - you can operate the main screen remotely from your PC).
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage