Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline artfull dodger  
#1 Posted : 27 February 2019 21:03:10(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
What all do I need from Marklin to convert this old girl over to digital. I did my class 110 electric with an all in one kit sold thru Marklin, but it was a different power truck(DCM). The 3060 is a SFCM motor. All I am finding now are the motor parts without a decoder. Can I just use a normal DCC decoder thats available locally, such as TCS T1? I use the older Uhlenbrock Intellibox IR to operate my layout, not sure if it does more than the MM style decoder language. Still learning how to run the darn thing. Going to have 2 older F units to convert here soon, the Santa Fe and the DRGW version. Need to figure out how to program different addresses and change CV's with my set up so I can program decoders. Mike the Aspie
Silly NT's..I have Asperger's Syndrome!!!!
Offline xxup  
#2 Posted : 27 February 2019 23:11:17(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by xxup
Offline ktsolias  
#3 Posted : 28 February 2019 11:41:00(UTC)
ktsolias

Greece   
Hi

I did this conversion 15 days ago.
Is very easy
I used:
1. Märklin 60943 motor (SFCM) if yours has it as you said. There are some later 3060 models with DCM motor in this case you need 60941 motor
2. Märklin 60976 decoder (is a DCC decoder as well)
3. 5mm WW LED
6. Märklin E604180 bulb holder
7. Resistor 1kΩ 1/4 Watt

The frame before

IMG_43199_resize.JPG

The motor truck open and clean

IMG_43273_resize.JPG

The 60943 motor in place

IMG_43348_resize.JPG

The 60976 decoder in place

IMG_43347_resize.JPG

The speaker

IMG_43342_resize.JPG

The front bulb base and the resistor

IMG_43353_resize.JPG

The 5mm LED in place

IMG_43354_resize.JPG

The frame after the conversion

IMG_43349_resize.JPG

The loco!!!

IMG_43403_resize.JPG

I used the F7 sounds from the Märklin Soundbibliotek as the main sounds (programmed with 60971 and mDT3 software).

As there are 4 more functions available you can put more lights according to taste (e.g. cabin light, road No light, engine room light)

Runs excellent

Good Luck

Costas

Edited by user 28 February 2019 17:08:38(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 10 users liked this useful post by ktsolias
Offline jvuye  
#4 Posted : 28 February 2019 15:34:56(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Brilliant Costas! Simply brilliant.
True professional job!
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline artfull dodger  
#5 Posted : 01 March 2019 08:08:44(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
Looks nice, i just found out while looking thru AJCkids that Marklin has a new drop in decoder for the old AC field coil motors coming out 2nd quarter this year. NO motor modifications, so the old unregulated running style is preserved, along with the ozone smell and sound of the older models. The new decoder will also handle running the stock light bulbs, Telex couplers and smoke units. I may just wait till those come out and just push the dummy 4060 with my E110 loco that I already converted. I used a Marklin kit to convert it(it was a DCM motor) and its decoder works just fine with the original stock light bulbs. I did not do anything but wire the hot side wire up to them, they remain grounded to the chassis of the model. The decoder that came in that kit allowed this kind of set up if wired a specific way. AJC also has just a permag field magnet set up that will allow decoder install using the original brush plate and armature. Just have to isolate the grounded motor brush(an easy thing to do). I may try one of those and use one of my TSC T1 decoders, along with the stock light bulb set up. I do applaud Marklin for making up a decoder that allows simple digital conversion with nothing more than a rewire install. Nothing else to buy unless you want to. On my super small layout, sound quickly becomes annoying. I like that classic Marklin sound, the only difference being I am running on C track to enjoy the digital control of the turnouts. Mike
Offline xxup  
#6 Posted : 01 March 2019 11:53:54(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Mike, while the new decoder sounds great you will still have the problem of the high current draw from the old bulbs and potentially the old motor, and this will ultimately limit the number of locos you will be able to run on your layout.. If you only plan to run one loco, then this is a good solution for you..

My basis for this claim is that I have a first generation digital V60, from 1984 ( I will look for the catalogue number later), that draws 2 Amps on my layout.. I am pretty sure that it still has an AC motor..
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline artfull dodger  
#7 Posted : 01 March 2019 16:28:07(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
Wont be a problem on my mini layout, its only 55 inches by 33 inches, so its a single(powered) engine at a time layout. Even if I had a larger layout, it really would not be a huge problem. I am unable to multitask to any extant, so even when I have had or run on larger layouts, 1 or 2 trains going at the same time was my max without having problems keeping up with things due to my autism. For now, I am going to get one of the ESU field magnets and reuse the rest of the original motor parts along with a TCS T1 decoder to get her running for an upcoming show I am taking the layout to. Once those new decoders come out, then I will look into them, still a few months away till we see those and that is if M delivers them to market on schedule. Mike the Aspie