Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline John Ferguson  
#1 Posted : 23 December 2018 14:54:14(UTC)
John Ferguson

United Kingdom   
It is very disappointing to find examples where the English manual does not follow the software installed.

Examples are - there is no automatic button only a control button for blocking or terminating events.

The settings for a contact do not have arriving, departing or occupied only triggers for CS3 go and CS3 system start.

In trigger there is an item called events - go but does not seem to do anything.

The recording function is very difficult to work. Every recording when played back ends before the stopping position in the that recording.

It appears that the time period for a recording is of very limited duration.

I would be interested to know how other users are coping and what solutions they have discovered to these problems.

John
Offline siroljuk  
#2 Posted : 23 December 2018 15:27:34(UTC)
siroljuk

Finland   
Originally Posted by: John Ferguson Go to Quoted Post
I would be interested to know how other users are coping and what solutions they have discovered tothese problems.

Hi John.
It is not easy to write shortly how to configure and use events, but please read firs all about S88 contacts. You can find much information about S88 and contacts from this forum.
After reading or better: learning, you understand how S88 contacts and event are related and then after learning all about events you can start to use automated events( which BTW are called earlier as ROUTES).

When you use recording you should known that the result from recording process is only a rough model of functioning event(route). Always you have to edit result of recording. . . and editing such event is sometimes quit difficult to do. It is doing. . . getting false resut. . . doing again and so on. Not so easy.

I have done automated events many time and I like to do those. . . but it took many years until I learned enough.

So please be patient BigGrin

Merry Christmas and happy New Year 2019 to YOU and all others in this forum

Regards

Jukka

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by siroljuk
Offline John Ferguson  
#3 Posted : 23 December 2018 18:22:57(UTC)
John Ferguson

United Kingdom   
Hi Jukka

Thank you for your response.

It has helped enormously as I realise now that recording is only the start for setting up route events.

I imagined that recording would be like a video but clearly it is not.

My S88 contacts are all working for automation. No problem here. The events respond well with the S88 contacts.

Best wishes for Christmas and the new year.

John
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by John Ferguson
Offline John Ferguson  
#4 Posted : 03 February 2019 12:40:07(UTC)
John Ferguson

United Kingdom   
I will enclose some screen shots showing the areas that are different from the manual in the hope that people will comment if they have some answers. See my comments below the photos.

E349B2CA-673F-4046-AB9A-394C08CA8D84.png27E21A93-0F1D-41A8-A70F-BAE902E615B4.png87E081BF-D8D5-4D83-B1BC-F28225E0C77B.png29653B03-E098-4E09-884E-377E26E99EA2.png1A7E9CA1-F579-4D8F-AE9F-AE1F531D28DC.png873A5C3C-5EB3-49A9-B71F-A6DE26DB2253.png

1. Notice events-trigger - what does this do the other triggers are obvious

2. What does control and group do?

3. What are the logging levels and what size is needed?

4. What does events advanced mode do?

5. Why would you need to put in an event a command to stop events?

6. This does not seem to do anything?

Any help would be appreciated.

The Company does not seem to have any technical staff monitoring this forum to help users which is disappointing.

John
Online David Dewar  
#5 Posted : 03 February 2019 12:58:57(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Hi John. No idea what some of these do but so far I appear to have managed without knowing.
Peter on here will have knowledge of these screens and is our expert who I am sure may help.
I think (for me anyway) they have over complicated the CS3.
Still like the controller though.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline John Ferguson  
#6 Posted : 03 February 2019 14:17:24(UTC)
John Ferguson

United Kingdom   
Hi David

So do I. It’s just that the manual is out of date. What I would like the Company to is to issue some amendment pages.

Thanks for your response.

John
Offline siroljuk  
#7 Posted : 03 February 2019 14:34:22(UTC)
siroljuk

Finland   
Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post

Hi David and John.

Please remember that all functions which can be seen at the moment don't work YET.

I have studied CS2 and CS3 Events ( earlier they were Routes) almost from the beginning of CS2 was published. I have noticed that Märklin peoples way of work seems to be quite odd.

I imagine that they might design fine features for their new devices but they will not publish they thoughts before they make some programming and then they update devices but not any kind of instructions nor any information how they new updates should function.

Events are the most complicated features in these new computer based control devices. I have seen that there are many fine ideas ( like complicated conditional features of triggers) BUT they are not ready yet.
We have to study and make different kind of testing and learn how these features might respond. It is time consuming but, at least in my opinion, very very teaching.

In my opinion: When you start to make events ( routes) you should decide before you do anything, what exactly you want. How you think event should steer your Loco and how Loco should respond.

After you are sure what you want then just start to make and test event and learn.BigGrin BigGrin

There are bugs at least in CS3 control devices and when you make much work with the device I sure you; you will learn when your testing failure is up to your doings or they are due o CS3's bugs.

Meaning or purpose of those triggers which was in John's question; it is difficult to explain because there is no proper document for how they should use.

Märklin Digital Club and there Curtis Jeung is the best Man to follow. He has wrote many Newsletter in which he explains many difficult features and maneuvers using Märklin devices.

I this forum there is in many threads attached 2018 newsletters which give you excellent information. I don't put those threads here because you can find them by using search feature of this forum.
( I hope you don't get angry, it really is good to learn how to use search; you will find much much information related to you searching key-words )ThumpUp ThumpUp

In the 2018 newsletters 4, 5 and 6 there are very good information about events in CS3.

And in the next issue 1/2019 Curtis promised to handle advantage features of Events.

Have fun everyone

Regards

Jukka
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by siroljuk
Offline John Ferguson  
#8 Posted : 03 February 2019 15:37:36(UTC)
John Ferguson

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: siroljuk Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post

Hi David and John.

Please remember that all functions which can be seen at the moment don't work YET.

I have studied CS2 and CS3 Events ( earlier they were Routes) almost from the beginning of CS2 was published. I have noticed that Märklin peoples way of work seems to be quite odd.

I imagine that they might design fine features for their new devices but they will not publish they thoughts before they make some programming and then they update devices but not any kind of instructions nor any information how they new updates should function.

Events are the most complicated features in these new computer based control devices. I have seen that there are many fine ideas ( like complicated conditional features of triggers) BUT they are not ready yet.
We have to study and make different kind of testing and learn how these features might respond. It is time consuming but, at least in my opinion, very velry teaching.

In my opinion: When you start to make events ( routes) you should decide before you do anything, what exactly you want. How you think event should steer your Loco and how Loco should respond.

After you are sure what you want then just start to make and test event and learn.BigGrin BigGrin

There are bugs at least in CS3 control devices and when you make much work with the device I sure you; you will learn when your testing failure is up to your doings or they are due o CS3's bugs.

Meaning or purpose of those triggers which was in John's question; it is difficult to explain because there is no proper document for how they should use.

Märklin Digital Club and there Curtis Jeung is the best Man to follow. He has wrote many Newsletter in which he explains many difficult features and maneuvers using Märklin devices.

I this forum there is in many threads attached 2018 newsletters which give you excellent information. I don't put those threads here because you can find them by using search feature of this forum.
( I hope you don't get angry, it really is good to learn how to use search; you will find much much information related to you searching key-words )ThumpUp ThumpUp

In the 2018 newsletters 4, 5 and 6 there are very good information about events in CS3.

And in the next issue 1/2019 Curtis promised to handle advantage features of Events.

Have fun everyone

Regards

Jukka

Hi Jukka

Your reply has been most useful. I understand the situation much better. I am enjoying the controller and have been developing my events by trial and error with quite a lot of success. This is so like my experience with Viessmann’s Commander who had functions on the screen which had not been implemented. There the Company issued regular updates for the manual.

Regards

John
Offline kiwiAlan  
#9 Posted : 03 February 2019 15:41:36(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

The Company does not seem to have any technical staff monitoring this forum to help users which is disappointing.

This forum has no relationship with the Marklin company. If they do have anyone monitoring it then they are unknown to us (although their lawyers are known to the webmaster).

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline TEEWolf  
#10 Posted : 03 February 2019 21:45:32(UTC)
TEEWolf

Hi David

So do I. It’s just that the manual is out of date. What I would like the Company to is to issue some amendment pages.

Thanks for your response.

John

There is a new CS 3 workbook availbale, which is very detailed and explaing very helpful. Much more as all other publications I know about the CS 3. You get it as a PDF-file and has about 700 pages. I do have this workbook, but unfortunately it is only in German available.

https://www.bahnundbuch....dokumentiert-lothar-seel

I do not understand at your post #4 what goal do you have. You are in the section "system/settings". Do you want to alter the settings of your system, the CS 3 itself? Or do you want to change anything for your stetted events as mentioned in your post #3?
Offline John Ferguson  
#11 Posted : 03 February 2019 22:06:05(UTC)
John Ferguson

United Kingdom   
I just want the content of the screens which are different from the manual to be explained.

John
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#12 Posted : 04 February 2019 00:32:58(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Keep in mind that there have been several software updates for the CS3 since the manual was written, so some screens may well have changed.

Marklin doesn't necessarily take the time to update documentation when software changes are made...
Offline TEEWolf  
#13 Posted : 04 February 2019 00:44:47(UTC)
TEEWolf

I will enclose some screen shots showing the areas that are different from the manual in the hope that people will comment if they have some answers. See my comments below the photos.

87E081BF-D8D5-4D83-B1BC-F28225E0C77B.png29653B03-E098-4E09-884E-377E26E99EA2.png

Quote:
1. Notice events-trigger - what does this do the other triggers are obvious

2. What does control and group do?

No answer to these questions, because they might be in the section event and not systems?

Quote:
5. Why would you need to put in an event a command to stop events?

6. This does not seem to do anything?

No answer to these questions, because they might be in the section event and not systems?

Quote:
Any help would be appreciated.

John

Well I try to do my best.

I deleted attached pictures and split up your questions to the systems relating pictures. In my opinion the pictures relate to 2 different sections. If it is not the case, please list for me the menue tree where are these points at the CS 3.

Before handling and/or setting events, systems settings has to be done first. Menue tree will be

System - settings - CS3/CS3-1
here you scroll down till you get to "popup control panel"
If you tickmark this field, you can get on your basic controlling screen with the layout, an additional control bar very quick for controlling any other loco from your loco list at the bottom on the screen. You select the loco, this one gets a lilac margin and then it opens another control bar for this loco in the screen. It looks like the bars at the right or left side of the screen, but this popup menue is somewhere on the screen. This function is already in the manual listed and has a short remark. See page 32 right side.

Quote:
4. What does events advanced mode do?

The next menue point underneath "events - advanced mode" is indeed not yet in the manual. In my workbook is stated this function was added with the software update 1.3.3 in summer 2018.
If you set the tickmark for this point, a small information window pops up, telling by setting this tickmark the handling for a CS 3 will be much more lavish and complex. More information about this complexity you get via the "?" "help function" in the lower left corner of this popup window.

Quote:
3. What are the logging levels and what size is needed?

After "events - advanced mode" you scroll further down to the end of this window getting the menue point "Logging". This one is also not listed in the manual, because this is a section only for software developers creating a log-in file to identify a bugfix in the software.

It may happen, if you find an error in the software, Märklin service may request you to create via this function a log-file for sending it to Märklin. By this file they can identify a software bugfix in the CS 3, without sending the complete CS 3 controller to Märklin.

Well, I guess we all can forget this point, perhaps except our software developers at marklin-users.net. They are possibly the ones who can read such a file and identify a bugfix in the CS 3 software.

For the other pictures please write me by which menue trees you achieved these windows. Perhaps I can give you further help.
Offline TEEWolf  
#14 Posted : 04 February 2019 00:46:33(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
Keep in mind that there have been several software updates for the CS3 since the manual was written, so some screens may well have changed.

Marklin doesn't necessarily take the time to update documentation when software changes are made...

Indeed, so it is, see my post #13.