Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline quarkhirad  
#1 Posted : 10 December 2018 18:57:49(UTC)
quarkhirad

India   
HI i have a very old marklin M-track sytem (98% bought before 1978). I am looking to stock up some catenary. Now i have done some research and found that the new catenary is not compatible. I am looking for marklin items like 7009,7018, 7019 etc (see attached pdf). Further i found an old discussion on this forum stating that Electrotren catenary is compatible. I cant find any place to buy it . Any ideas where i can find catenary.

any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Khirad

https://www.marklin-users.net/fo...ary-report.aspx#post1897
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by quarkhirad
Offline MaerklinLife  
#2 Posted : 10 December 2018 19:04:14(UTC)
MaerklinLife

Not knowing what you are planning with your layout, if it was me though, I would try and get some original Märklin vintage catenary. I think it will fit perfectly with the M-track theme. Especially if you plan to use older rolling stock as well.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by MaerklinLife
Offline mike c  
#3 Posted : 10 December 2018 19:16:19(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Electrotren was a Spanish brand that is now part of the Hornby group. The masts and wire sections were compatible with Maerklin's catenary. I do not know if they still make the same models.

If you want to find the items, google Maerklin and Marklin catenary and oberleitung. You can do the same for Electrotren.

I suspect that you might also find NOS (New Old Stock) on some auction sites too.

Start with trying to find the catenary guide from the 1980s, make a list of parts you need to complete your setup and then start your search.

Happy hunting

Regards

Mike C

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline mbarreto  
#4 Posted : 10 December 2018 20:42:54(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   
If you plan to build a permanent layout, Sommerfeldt will do well.
Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mbarreto
MrB32  
#5 Posted : 10 December 2018 23:16:25(UTC)

There is a sticky on the main page of the H0 section in this forum called Catenary Yet Again. There are a few download links to guides there.

https://www.marklin-user...tenary--yet-again--sorry

Marklin catenary for M-track is very easy to find and buy, frequently the items have not even been used. I suspect some people thought it was a good idea to buy some, to then realise that it might be a bit too much effort to set-up on a temporary layout, so the stuff disappeared in a box.

Ebay is usually a good place to start, there are also quite a few shops in Europe that stock good quality used items

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Guest
Offline cookee_nz  
#6 Posted : 11 December 2018 06:46:41(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: mbarreto Go to Quoted Post
If you plan to build a permanent layout, Sommerfeldt will do well.

While Sommerfelt looks great, it's very fiddly to set up, requires soldering, you need more masts and closer together (on curves), and being soldered it's not very forgiving of mishaps, especially when carefully trying to re-rail an item or six.

Original M. does look a bit chunky by comparison with S. or the new line up, and some people can't abide the curved wires but for me it's part of the charm, and only purist modelers really notice, and believe me if you are running older M-track that will send them into a spin anyway.

As others have said, you should be able to find it readily on eBay etc and at reasonable prices, just take your time, plan well so you know what you need and don't over-order too much.

Good luck
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline Michael4  
#7 Posted : 11 December 2018 10:04:15(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
Khirad it is easy to find on Ebay in Europe but I doubt this is the case in India

Some is cheap, some ludicrously expensive. The best deals are often poorly described boxes of the stuff but that involves an element of luck.

To start with don't be too ambitious
Always use plenty of short sections on curves
Make sure you get plenty of the adjustment sections before you start
Bent wires can be straightened, warped posted seem to be more of a problem
Don't screw anything down until it all works
You'll want another controller, either to run two trains on the same track or to control carriage lighting while on the move. The fun begins! (6699 is a tidy solution if you can find one)

Although the system is quite robust...the danger is...you carefully put your hands into the layout to do something but when you stand back and relax you catch something on a wire or post and pull it all out of alignment!

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Michael4
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#8 Posted : 11 December 2018 10:09:28(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: quarkhirad Go to Quoted Post
Further i found an old discussion on this forum stating that Electrotren catenary is compatible. I cant find any place to buy it .

Electrotren don't sell the old style catenary wire any more. They still sell the masts though, but I don't know of a European source of supply. I see some power feed masts available on eBay, but not the standard masts.

The only place worldwide that I know who sell the masts and the new style Electrotren wire is Eurolokshop in the US

http://www.tee-usa.com/s...catalog-accessories.html
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz