Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Mmagda  
#1 Posted : 29 November 2018 00:33:20(UTC)
Mmagda

Germany   
Hello,

I need your advice in a simple matter that gave me some headaches for the past few days.

First let me describe my problem:

I have two trains (A and B) on the same track and I wand to use a signal and an s88 port to control the signal. The sequence of events that I imagined is something like this:

untitled.jpg

Starting position: Train A stopped at the RED signal light, Train B BEFORE reaching the s88 contact track.

SO: Train A is at the stop section Next to the signal > Train B reaches the contact Track and sets the signal to GREEN > Train A leaves the stop section > Train B leaves the contact track therefore setting the signal to RED> Train B reaches the stop section and stops > Train A reaches the contact Track and sets the signal to GREEN.... and so on.

Now, I have checked the signal and works on manual (I can turn it RED or GREEN from the Central Station), the feedback track gives a signal to the CS (the square associated to port #3 "lights up") but there must be something wrong that I am doing with the programming of the constraints and I hope you can help me here:

My steps are:
Go to the CRREATE ROUTE panel

CS1.jpeg

Select NEW ROUTE
CS2.jpeg

Select the SIGNAL and the GREEN color of the signal
CS3.jpeg

Name the route
CS4.jpeg

Go to the Constraints tab and select the first constraint
CS5.jpeg

Select Feedback
CS6.jpeg

Select the module and the port
CS7.jpeg

After doing all this, if the Signal is RED and a train passes over the detection track, the signal doesn't turn green, or, If the signal is green and a train leaves the detection track, the signal doesn't run red.

Any advice?

Thank you!
Offline franciscohg  
#2 Posted : 29 November 2018 01:27:37(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Hello,i have no experience with CS1. But i assume that feedback is going to port 3 in the S88 module?
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
Offline Mmagda  
#3 Posted : 29 November 2018 01:32:53(UTC)
Mmagda

Germany   
Originally Posted by: franciscohg Go to Quoted Post
...i assume that feedback is going to port 3 in the S88 module?

Hello,

Yes the feedback track goes to port #3. Ports #1 and #2 are used for a shuttle train.

Thank you for the observation, I've corrected the diagram in the first post.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mmagda
Offline Johnvr  
#4 Posted : 29 November 2018 14:11:09(UTC)
Johnvr

South Africa   
Hello,

Your proposal will not work.
This is not how the Route and Conditional Route works.

A solution for you is to purchase 2 x 24994 Circuit Tracks.
Place one just after the stop section of the track, and make this one activate the RED port on the M84.
Place one on the opposite side of the layout, and make this one activate the GREEN port on the M84.
Then your two trains will operate around the layout, chasing each other but never catching up.

RegardsBigGrin
John
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Johnvr
Offline Mmagda  
#5 Posted : 29 November 2018 14:41:27(UTC)
Mmagda

Germany   
Originally Posted by: Johnvr Go to Quoted Post
Hello,

Can you point out to me a tutorial where I can find how Conditional route works? Thank you!

....is to purchase 2 x 24994 Circuit Tracks....

I was just thinking about that a few minutes ago Laugh

The problem is that I want the contat tracks to activate not only the signal but a switch as well... hence the need for a route...

Thank you!

Mihai
Offline Johnvr  
#6 Posted : 29 November 2018 16:31:45(UTC)
Johnvr

South Africa   
Originally Posted by: Mmagda Go to Quoted Post
Hello,

Can you point out to me a tutorial where I can find how Conditional route works? Thank you!

....is to purchase 2 x 24994 Circuit Tracks....

I was just thinking about that a few minutes ago Laugh

The problem is that I want the contat tracks to activate not only the signal but a switch as well... hence the need for a route...

Thank you!

Mihai

I have never actually used a Conditional Route, but I imagine that it works well with a Track Occupancy Test.

For example, consider this following algorithm which you may want to implement in a situation where you have a Main Line and a Branch Line through a station area, with a Turnout at the entrance : "If the Main Line is Occupied, then switch to the Branch Line."

So, to implement this, you would need to have an Occupancy Test for a Train on the Main Line. You would do this by cutting one outer rail on your C-track, and then connecting the isolated outer track to a s88 port. The Occupancy Test is True if there is a train on the Main Line and the wheels make contact with the isolated rail registering with the s88. You would then have a 24994 Circuit Track before your station entrance which would activate a Route on your CS1 switching the Turnout to the Branch Line with a Conditional Feedback depending if the Main Line was Occupied.

In your example with your loop, connect the 2 x 24994 Circuit tracks to the s88, say ports 1 and 2.
Now create a Route in your CS1 to change a Turnout and a Signal, by ticking the little box and indicating whether you want RED or GREEN for your accessories, remembering that you can tick several accessories in a Route. You now activate your Route from the Feedback from the s88.

Remember to make sure that in your CS1 Settings, somewhere that indicates whether you have Automated Control switched ON (ie the Routes are activated by the s88 inputs) or Automated Control switched OFF (the s88 do not activate the Routes and you run everything manually)

In some of the Marklin instructions, they write about the difference between a Continuous trigger and a Momentary trigger.
In a Continuous trigger example, one would test for Track Occupancy, and you could use a Conditional algorithm to do something.
In a Momentary trigger example, a train passing over a Circuit Track generates a Momentary trigger.
Be sure to understand the difference and how to use the results.

RegardsBigGrin
John

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Johnvr
Offline Mmagda  
#7 Posted : 29 November 2018 16:48:52(UTC)
Mmagda

Germany   
The logic behind your scenario is same as I had in mind.

The difficult part is getting the CS to think as I am. Better said, I’ll have to adjust my thinking around CS’s brain.

So far I am having trouble understanding the constraint function on the CS an how that works.

If I would see an example of how to program the CS to do what you described above, it would be very easy to understand and develop the routes for the rest of the layout.

I searched for tutorials but I couldn’t find any for CS Reloaded.

I’ve tried the ECOS instructions (they’re in English and the menu is very similar) but they too are very vague.

Guess I’ll have to play with the settings trial an error style till I get it right...
Offline Mmagda  
#8 Posted : 29 November 2018 22:56:55(UTC)
Mmagda

Germany   
The problem was solved by changing the wiring.

I started from the wrong premise that I need to connect the feedback track to the s88 module instead of connecting them directly to the m84.

The following diagram shows the connections. I still have some issues but that's only with some locomotives/wagons and it's because they are not making good contact with the track.

Thank you Johnvr for the idea!

untitled.jpg

Now I have to figure out how to make a specific locomotive to activate a switch in order to change tracks
Offline fkowal  
#9 Posted : 30 November 2018 03:53:54(UTC)
fkowal

Canada   
Mmagda, JohnVr is on the right track. What you are trying to implement is a $300 solution to a $100 problem.

There is no need for an S88 nor even the k84. Simply hook up your signal to have train control through the built in signal relay and have the red and green signal setting be triggered by the contact track. If you have some other device (probably a relay) you wish to be activated, simply connect them to the contract track as well. Both the signal and the other device will activate at the same time with the disadvantage of a high initial electrical current draw. if you have an adequate power supply, it will not matter.

Johnvr's recommendation to use a switch track instead of a contact track is very relevant. Connecting the signal directly to the contact track means short trains give short activation times. Short activation times are just fine. You only need a few milliseconds up to a second to throw the signal over. Correspondingly, long trains yield long activation times. There is a potential for conflict if you run two long trains on a relatively short oval. The use of a switch track (loco pick up shoe activated, short pulse) as opposed to a contact track (long pulse dependent upon train length) will minimize this risk.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by fkowal
Offline Johnvr  
#10 Posted : 30 November 2018 06:32:53(UTC)
Johnvr

South Africa   
Originally Posted by: Mmagda Go to Quoted Post
The problem was solved by changing the wiring.

I started from the wrong premise that I need to connect the feedback track to the s88 module instead of connecting them directly to the m84.

For a small layout as you describe in your oval loop, that is fine to connect the Circuit Tracks to the m84.
Or even directly to a signal if it has a solenoid and a relay, like the old 7039 semaphore signal.
It's easy.

However, in a larger layout, the correct procedure is to connect the 24994 Circuit Tracks to the s88, and the CS1 uses Routes to change the signals.
In this way, you can use the power of the CS1 software to do many more things to operate the layout programmatically.

On my layout, I have 3 x s88 linked together giving me 48 input ports.
So I have 24 x 24994 Circuit Tracks connected in both directions, giving me 48 input triggers from the s88.
There are 14 signals to be operated, and 18 Turnouts on the layout. I use the CS2 Routes, to activate signals and Turnouts.
The CS2 can also trigger Locomotive Functions, such as Whistle, Steam, Lights, Loco speed and braking, activated from the s88 triggers.
Another nice feature is the timing delay in the Route, so that a Signal can go green with a timing delay rather than immediately, then the Whistle sounds, then the smoke starts, then the chuffing begins as the train start to move and accelerate speed. It is very realistic.
So to make changes to my schedule or the locomotive operations is all software programming, not hardware changing wires, etc.

I thought of one more possibility for you to try with the CS1, where the Circuit Tracks are linked to the s88 and you use Routes in the CS1 :
In your one picture of the Routes under the "Properties" tab, there are 4 groups, namely A and B and C and D.
You need to assign each of your Routes to one of these Groups (ABCD), and then ensure that the Automation is switched on for that Group.
For example, you can assign your Main Line Routes to Group A, and activate these routes in Group A automatically, while Routes in Groups B and C and D are not selected to be activated. I think there is a setting to indicate which Groups you want to activate automatically.
Try that, and let us know.

RegardsBigGrin
John
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Johnvr
Offline Mmagda  
#11 Posted : 30 November 2018 06:45:13(UTC)
Mmagda

Germany   
Originally Posted by: fkowal Go to Quoted Post

There is no need for an S88 nor even the k84.

Hello,

Indeed, there is no need for s88, got rid of it last night. I want to use the k84 because I want to have manual control over the signals from the CS.

Originally Posted by: fkowal Go to Quoted Post

There is a potential for conflict if you run two long trains on a relatively short oval. The use of a switch track (loco pick up shoe activated, short pulse) as opposed to a contact track (long pulse dependent upon train length) will minimize this risk.

Yeah, I saw that last night. I solved the problem by varying the position of the contact track. The shape of the layout makes it kinda impossible to use a switch track at one end. The switch track is straight and the RED activation switch has to be on a curved section.

Thank you for the explanation and the advice!

It will help me solve the problem of some locomotives not making good contact with the contact track (especially those with fewer wheels).
Offline Mmagda  
#12 Posted : 30 November 2018 07:42:17(UTC)
Mmagda

Germany   

.... the correct procedure is to connect the 24994 Circuit Tracks to the s88, and the CS1 uses Routes to change the signals.

In this way, you can use the power of the CS1 software to do many more things to operate the layout programmatically.

I haven’t figured out yet HOW to program the CS in order to use routes to change signals Crying

I thought of one more possibility for you to try with the CS1, where the Circuit Tracks are linked to the s88 and you use Routes in the CS1 :
In your one picture of the Routes under the "Properties" tab, there are 4 groups, namely A and B and C and D.
You need to assign each of your Routes to one of these Groups (ABCD), and then ensure that the Automation is switched on for that Group.
For example, you can assign your Main Line Routes to Group A, and activate these routes in Group A automatically, while Routes in Groups B and C and D are not selected to be activated. I think there is a setting to indicate which Groups you want to activate automatically.
Try that, and let us know.

RegardsBigGrin
John

As I said, I didn’t even managed to program that damn thing to do a simple task (use routes to change a signal). Using the Groups is way more advanced than I can understand right nowHuh