Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline madhu.gn.71  
#1 Posted : 21 November 2018 07:32:11(UTC)
madhu.gn.71

India   
Hello all,
I have close to 40 rolling stock (tin plate passenger and metal rolling stocks) which have metal couplers. Since many of these couplers have been in use for more than 50 years or so, many of them are either bent, rusted or difficult to adjust their height while using 7001. As a result
1. these old couplers don't engage smoothly with the new plastic ones or with themselves or with my loco thereby making operation of coupling and decoupling hell. I'm bored of using ice cream sticks
2. some of these brush against the center stud thereby causing electric shock or derailments on turnouts

Is there any way that I can fix the new generation plastic couplers on these vintage Marklins?

Regards
Madhu
Offline mike c  
#2 Posted : 21 November 2018 08:01:21(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Some models had the coupler attached to an arm which was part of the bogie frame. Others had a separate part which was attached to the pivot point of the bogie.
You could possibly try to replace some of the bogies with spare parts from Ritter Restaurationen or other source.
You could also perhaps find a used model of the same type that has bogies in better shape than the ones on your current models, which might cost less than the parts themselves.
It may be possible to kitbash a plastic coupling shaft and NEM coupler from a Roco model, providing there is space between the bogie and the undercarriage. You would also have to figure out some kind of fixation that would keep it in place.

One last option would be to look at coupling mechanisms by companies like Symoba(symoba-schniering.de) which might be adapted for the older coaches. You would have to adapt the bogie so that the coupler would no longer be part of the bogie assembly.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline madhu.gn.71  
#3 Posted : 21 November 2018 13:59:08(UTC)
madhu.gn.71

India   
Thank you Mike. Looks like some amount of tweaking and work arounds needed. I go through the links you had shared and the day I fix this issue, i'll post a reply here.
Regards
Madhu
Offline Michael4  
#4 Posted : 21 November 2018 14:39:03(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
Madhu, I don't know what availability is like in India but here in the UK (where Marklin is not the most common) the easiest and cheapest thing to do is to buy cheap wagons etc off Ebay and strip the couplers off them. Small coaches and tipper wagons that were originally in the cheapest starter sets are best (if they fit!).

As a bonus you'll end up with a lot of wheels too...

Michael
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Michael4
Offline TEEWolf  
#5 Posted : 21 November 2018 17:44:13(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: madhu.gn.71 Go to Quoted Post
Hello all,
I have close to 40 rolling stock (tin plate passenger and metal rolling stocks) which have metal couplers. Since many of these couplers have been in use for more than 50 years or so, many of them are either bent, rusted or difficult to adjust their height while using 7001. As a result
1. these old couplers don't engage smoothly with the new plastic ones or with themselves or with my loco thereby making operation of coupling and decoupling hell. I'm bored of using ice cream sticks
2. some of these brush against the center stud thereby causing electric shock or derailments on turnouts

Is there any way that I can fix the new generation plastic couplers on these vintage Marklins?

Regards
Madhu

Hello Madhu,

of course there are ways to change old Märklin couplers against the new ones. But you probabely know also the old problem: almost everything of these descriptions are in German. Do not now your German knowledge, but I list you here some links about couplers published in German magazines, blogs and even by Märklin in old issues of the Märklin Magazine. These articles are still availabel at Märklins homepage, but again only in German, sorry.

https://www.maerklin.de/...men-specials-und-serien/

Scroll down to the bottoem, till you see the heading:

"Alte Modelle - kurz gekuppelt (MM 04/2002 bis 04/2006)"

As you see, Märklin published a series of 18 articles over some years.

Here are further links for couplers:

https://dermodellbahnblo...lungen-tipps-tricks.html

http://www.schnug-modell...e/Tipps/modelle-tab.html

Mr Schnug writes with a subtitel:
"The table of Märklin models - The overview: Which model can be converted with what?"

https://www.stayathome.ch/kupplungen.htm

If you are looking for a not bad translation software outside of Google and & Co, you may try this one:

https://www.deepl.com/translator

Regards

TEEWolf

MrB32  
#6 Posted : 22 November 2018 00:45:28(UTC)

There is always a way... But you'll still be using ice cream sticks in any case :)

You might want to try a few things first:

1) I wrote a blurb about this type of rolling stock a few months ago here. I run some similar age and condition cars by the sound of what you are saying. I get by with the 7001, even with rusty couplings.

One thing to check (and not in the instruction manual) is the decoupling latch orientation (the bit that gets caught in the central contacts), once the coupling is level and fits snuggly in the 7001 gauge, the decoupling latch needs to be checked and adjusted if needed to give enough clearance for the central contacts. I use a few m-track 5106 attached to a 5128 crossing as a base when I adjust my couplings, this way i can check I have proper clearance in the worst case scenario.

Another thing to check is that the spring attached to hooks on both couplings on some type of cars is present. If it isn't, no amount of adjusting will give you the correct height.

2) Using couplings of different types together is always a source of problems based on my experience, so I run trains made of cars equipped with similar couplings (basically metal only or plastic only), and have an easy life :) Changing all your couplings might help a bit, but you might not get an even height across your fleet, so you will face the same problems, or cause new problems (hint: derailments).

So I would think twice before doing anything drastic: changing a coupling can be vey easy: remove screw, remove coupling, insert new coupling, tighten screw. It might require more complicated steps: find and buy the right part, dismantle car, taking care of not damaging 50 year old plastic/paint/metal, bend this, bend that, remove coupling or boogie, same again in reverse order. After all that, you'll find that you are unable to adjust the height of a given type of coupling or that plastic couplings/NEM pockets break from time to time and need replacing.

How much money and time you want to throw at the problem is your business. For me it would not be worth the effort, I would invest a bit more time experimenting with the good old 7001 and a bit of money in a nice new thin pair of pliers...
Offline madhu.gn.71  
#7 Posted : 22 November 2018 03:05:05(UTC)
madhu.gn.71

India   
Thank you all for the valuable information shared.
First I'll try what MrB32 has suggested. I do see that many springs have gone missing. I will try to address that first and see if the aforementioned problems are resolved

@ TEEWolf, that is a great source of information and probably my final resort if the step one does not work. I realized that it is not just one type of metal coupling I have issues with. This is a GREAT source of information and Google translator will come handy. Danke!

@Mike, there are no model train or modelbahn fairs in India. So my only option is to get it imported from other countries which will cost a bomb because of the shipping and some times customs. But, I'll consider this if at all I'm lucky enough to visit a model train exhibition some day.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by madhu.gn.71