Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline hkost  
#1 Posted : 26 April 2018 20:13:35(UTC)
hkost

United States   
I have vintage Marklin digital equipment (never used) 6015, 6020, 6035, 6040, 6050, 6080, 6083,& 6088. We are rebuilding RR in new location and would like to know whether this equipment is still usable. I realize that PC ports have changed drastically in that the mention equipment depended on printer ports instead of USB. I believe that it should still function but perhaps not with the newer digital developments. Would appreciate an opinion.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 26 April 2018 21:17:55(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: hkost Go to Quoted Post
I have vintage Marklin digital equipment (never used) 6015, 6020, 6035, 6040, 6050, 6080, 6083,& 6088. We are rebuilding RR in new location and would like to know whether this equipment is still usable. I realize that PC ports have changed drastically in that the mention equipment depended on printer ports instead of USB. I believe that it should still function but perhaps not with the newer digital developments. Would appreciate an opinion.

It will certainly be usable with the current production items, but you will run into restrictions that will become very annoying. You have the original control unit which can only control one function - the headlight. You will not have any other functions available to you. If you only want to run the stock you already have then this controller will be fine.

You don't say how large your existing loco roster is, but all digital locos will all run with the current model controllers that are available.

If you are looking to purchase a range of new items then you will need to invest in one of the current range of control units (ms2 or cs3).

The ms2 is limited to 16 functions per item (there are other items other than locos that can be controlled by these controllers), which means that higher numbered functions on some of the latest items are not available to you. The ms2 is designed as an entry level controller, and will quite happily work with any items you already own.

The cs3 is the fully fledged controller available from Marklin. It can also connect to some of the items you already have (through suitable adapters) allowing you to use them. There are two models of this controller, and to use your existing items most easily I would suggest getting the more featured version, the CS3+ as to add the necessary additional items to the less featured one so you can use the items you already have will come to around the same price as the full featured one.

Feel free to expand the information on what you have and there are a number of people here who will be only too happy to help you.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline hkost  
#3 Posted : 26 April 2018 21:58:34(UTC)
hkost

United States   
Thank you very much, your reply that was well received and informative. FYI, I have about 16 powered units including two TGVs (original and Postal). We bought much equipment in Germany when we lived in France for 4 years in the early 1980's. I have stored the CS3+ UG which I will continue to study. I may write you if that process will generate certain further questions. Thank You Harry
Offline TEEWolf  
#4 Posted : 27 April 2018 00:12:07(UTC)
TEEWolf

Thank you very much, your reply that was well received and informative. FYI, I have about 16 powered units including two TGVs (original and Postal). We bought much equipment in Germany when we lived in France for 4 years in the early 1980's. I have stored the CS3+ UG which I will continue to study. I may write you if that process will generate certain further questions. Thank You Harry

Sorry for my English, but what do you mean by "I have stored the CS3+ UG ..."?

If you are interested to read and get more explanation about a digital railway I recommend the Märklin book "Controlling Digitally with the Central Station 3" to you, notably it is in English available.

https://www.maerklin.de/...s/details/article/03092/

I got this book in German and it tells most of a digital railroad, even it gives a compact overview of all digital devices from Märklin.

Offline hkost  
#5 Posted : 27 April 2018 05:21:17(UTC)
hkost

United States   
CS3+ UG --- CS3 User Guide which is an FDP of multiple languages document where the English descriptions were from page 41 to 80. I will follow your link in order to gain more information re Marklin digital. Let me say thank again for your assistance. FYI, we are building a new home that will includes a 450 square foot room for the creation of a new model RR.
Offline DaleSchultz  
#6 Posted : 28 April 2018 13:42:53(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
A more modern controller will be better, and it need not be from Märklin. Other manufacturers such as ESU and Uhlenbrock now also make controllers that can drive the older locomotive decoders and the more modern ones.

The old 6050 used a serial port, not a printer port (which was parallel).
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline TEEWolf  
#7 Posted : 29 April 2018 23:20:23(UTC)
TEEWolf

CS3+ UG --- CS3 User Guide which is an FDP of multiple languages document where the English descriptions were from page 41 to 80. I will follow your link in order to gain more information re Marklin digital. Let me say thank again for your assistance. FYI, we are building a new home that will includes a 450 square foot room for the creation of a new model RR.

Thanks. Indeed the manual with 6 languages is not very convenient. For myself I did a complete print out of my language section German from page 1 - 39 and created my own, small manual. The good point is, every language starts at page 1 through 39. It makes it easy to quote and compare it with the other languages.

As a special, I add a link, which you only get via the German website from Märklin

https://www.maerklin.de/...al/wiedereinsteigerbuch/

At the bottom of the page is a red word "Downloadbereich" highlighted. This opens another page to several downloads. The very last one is the latest overview about the complete systems architecture of Märklins digital components on one site instead in 2, as in the manual.

https://www.maerklin.de/...Gesamt%C3%BCbersicht.pdf
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#8 Posted : 30 April 2018 05:59:30(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Something the others have neglected to tell you is that you could swap / upgrade the 6020 / 6035 by replacing them with a 6021 controller.

The 6021 can address up to 80 MM locomotive addresses, plus can control 4 locomotive functions in addition to the normal headlight function. The 6021 will work with your 6040, 6050, 6083 and 6015 devices, and they can be readily purchased off ebay second hand.

Quite a few folks on this forum still happily run their layouts with a 6021. All Marklin locos up to this day support the MM protocol, and if you are happy with 4 functions per loco rather than up to 32 functions, then go for it.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline hkost  
#9 Posted : 30 April 2018 14:10:54(UTC)
hkost

United States   
Thank you Bigdaddynz. That certainly is good information. Looks like I can reuse all my stuff and ponder enrichment later. Unfortunately my RR stuff is now packed in 25 boxes and has to wait until the new hobby room in our new house is completed. All of the responses will kept safe in notebooks until that time. Thank you all for your contributions.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by hkost
Offline TEEWolf  
#10 Posted : 30 April 2018 17:00:05(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
Something the others have neglected to tell you is that you could swap / upgrade the 6020 / 6035 by replacing them with a 6021 controller.

The 6021 can address up to 80 MM locomotive addresses, plus can control 4 locomotive functions in addition to the normal headlight function. The 6021 will work with your 6040, 6050, 6083 and 6015 devices, and they can be readily purchased off ebay second hand.

Quite a few folks on this forum still happily run their layouts with a 6021. All Marklin locos up to this day support the MM protocol, and if you are happy with 4 functions per loco rather than up to 32 functions, then go for it.

Correct - this is another reason why I started to add the link of the system architecture always to my relevant posts. Another reason is the missing link to these files in the English Märklin website version. You only can get there through the German website. But who does know this?

Even the system architectures in the Märklin books 03092 and 03070 are not as precise as these PDF files on Märklin's homepage.

But caution!
In these PDF files with the system architecture an error occurs to the previous years digital control units 6021. The needed (and still at Märklin available) connect-6021 unit art# 60128
for the CAN bus has the article# 60128 and NOT 60182 as written in the PDF overview of the system architecture.
Offline H0  
#11 Posted : 30 April 2018 17:08:34(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
All Marklin locos up to this day support the MM protocol, and if you are happy with 4 functions per loco rather than up to 32 functions, then go for it.
The 6021 is limited to 5 functions per address, but can get up to 17 functions per loco using four addresses.

And the 6035 can be used with the 6021 too.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage