Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Bahner  
#1 Posted : 02 March 2018 06:32:10(UTC)
Bahner

United States   
Hello,

New to Z scale and I'm hoping this one has an easy answer (that just escapes me at this point).

While I am waiting patiently for some Marklin Z Flex track to finally show up, I decided to play around with the track pieces that I do have to get a feel for things. I set up a single track 'dog-bone' with a passing track and a dead-end siding. What I noticed is that when I park a train on the dead-end siding and then set the turnout back to main line traffic, both this train on the siding and a second train on the main line move together when the power is cranked up.

UserPostedImage

The switch setting has no effect in so far as cutting power to the train on the dead-end siding. My N scale Minitrix turnouts kill the power on a dead-end siding once the switch is set back to main line so the train on the siding can't move (switch points can't be split open by a train if they are set against it). How is this handled in the Marklin system?

Thanks in advance,

Ralph.
Offline Carim  
#2 Posted : 02 March 2018 16:58:03(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
Hi Ralph,

You will have to isolate the siding. I did this by cutting a gap in one rail on the siding, then bridging this with an On/Off switch.

Carim
Offline Bahner  
#3 Posted : 02 March 2018 17:05:25(UTC)
Bahner

United States   
Originally Posted by: Carim Go to Quoted Post
Hi Ralph,

You will have to isolate the siding. I did this by cutting a gap in one rail on the siding, then bridging this with an On/Off switch.

Carim

Hi Carim,

Thanks for the info. Looks like all the Marklin Z switches work this way, then.

I must admit that I am surprised by this, but as they say "It is what it is".

Offline Carim  
#4 Posted : 02 March 2018 17:15:11(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
Well I think Rokuhan switches/points also allow you to do this. I think it has the advantage that you don't have to depend on the actual switch blade transmitting power to either the mailine or the spur.

Carim
Offline Bahner  
#5 Posted : 02 March 2018 20:37:53(UTC)
Bahner

United States   
Originally Posted by: Carim Go to Quoted Post
Well I think Rokuhan switches/points also allow you to do this. I think it has the advantage that you don't have to depend on the actual switch blade transmitting power to either the mailine or the spur.

Carim

Makes sense. Since the switchblades are so small, I can see where a small speck of something could prevent contact with the rail when the switch is thrown.
Offline Bill Dickson  
#6 Posted : 12 March 2018 10:34:13(UTC)
Bill Dickson

United Kingdom   
You need to be careful with Rokuhan switches because the two blades are the same piece of metal so you cannot trail a loco through them! an advantage (apart from the looks) is that, by fitting or removing the screws supplied, you can convert them from isolating (i.e. one branch not having power transmitted to it through the switchblade rail) to all live as with the Marklin version.