Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#1 Posted : 25 February 2018 16:12:27(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Hi all,

I saw lippe has a sale going on the CS3 and CS3+. With my 10 year old ecos giving up the ghost, I'm debating going the Markling route this time. But can anyone explain in simple terms the advantages of a CS3+ over a CS3? The Marklin site doesn't really do a great job of it

thanks in advance!
SBB Era 2-5
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by 5HorizonsRR
Offline michelvr  
#2 Posted : 25 February 2018 19:31:19(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
The CS3 plus has the connection (plug) for S88 connection.

The CS3 does not.

That is the only difference.

If you buy the CS3 you will need to buy the S88 LINK

Regards,

Michel

Online kiwiAlan  
#3 Posted : 25 February 2018 20:05:57(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: michelvr Go to Quoted Post
The CS3 plus has the connection (plug) for S88 connection.

The CS3 does not.

That is the only difference.

If you buy the CS3 you will need to buy the S88 LINK

Regards,

Michel

The s88 connection is not the only difference. The cs3+ also has galvanically isolated booster to drive the track, which allows use of a cs2 as a second track connection when another booster is required. This allows any model cs2 to be used where Marklin say only a 60215 can be used.

From memory there are also some other differences, but I don't have the relevant information to hand. However from memory these differences are subtle and probably don't contribute to the decision making process for most people.

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline johnpatrickwack  
#4 Posted : 01 March 2018 11:52:22(UTC)
johnpatrickwack

United States   
Hi all,

After some thought I purchased the CS3, not the plus model. I do have one Link88 and a good number of M84 and M83 modules and thus far, I am more or less happy except that I'm having some increasing problems with the CS3 rebooting more often than it should and I may need to return it while it's under warranty. I'm glad I did not spend the extra money for the CS3+ because I ended up using some PC software to control the layout, and thus the CS3 is used primarily only to take instructions from the PC software and pass them on to the various layout components. If that is your intended purpose, a number of people have commented that a CS2 works fine - but, the CS3 is newer, will be updated for a longer period, and hopefully would last longer. I should say that I'm glad I didn't spend the extra money also because I ended up spending too much on other items - new cars, locos, etc!

I don't want to appear to be a Marklin basher, but for the $600 US that I paid for the CS3, I expected better quality than what was delivered. It is not as robust as I would have hoped, and sometimes after a minor derailment that causes a short, it halts and I've had to let it sit unplugged for a number of minutes before it will work again. I have the feeling that Marklin will improve it with more updates and eventually get the problems ironed out - most of my issues had to do with poor english-language menus and documentation, and some of this has already been improved. I have very little experience with using events and routes on the CS3 - but enough to know that the capabilities are far more limited than what one can do using PC software such as iTrain, TrainController, and so forth.

Overall, though, despite the problems, I'm okay with it and I think the CS3 will get better with subsequent updates. Good luck with your decision!
---
John P. Wack
Silver Spring, MD
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#5 Posted : 01 March 2018 20:07:59(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
From memory there are also some other differences....

The CS3+ also has the CAN bus input connector so that it can be used as an additional remote controller. Therefore, if you already have a CS3 and want to expand with an additional remote controller, then you must have a CS3+.

A CS3 can be used as the first (master) controller.
Offline Minok  
#6 Posted : 01 March 2018 21:40:09(UTC)
Minok

United States   
The CS3+ has the S88n style input on the bottom - which means you can plug S88AC and S88DC modules straight into the CS3+, while with the CS3 you would need to plug an L88 into the CS3 and can then connect the S88AC and S88DC modules to the L88 - so it saves you having to purchase the L88. If you have the L88 already, then the S88n style port on isn't of an obvious advantage.

The CS3 ports on the back are a bit different, which allows multiple CS3 systems to be used together.
The CS3 Plus is the only on that has that CAN bus entry port (6pin), both have the 7 pin CAN bus port for boosters and L88 connection, and both have the 9 pin CAN bus output port.

CS3 backside: note it has one 9 pin CAN bus port, and two 7 pin CAN bus ports
CS3-back.PNG

CS3+ backside: it has the 9 pin, one 7 pin, and the 6 pin CAN input (the S88n style RJ45 jack is on the bottom of the unit and not visible in this picture)
CS3plus-back.PNG
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline mbarreto  
#7 Posted : 01 March 2018 22:18:33(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   

I think CS3+ is the device to have. (Of course just considering CS3 versus CS3+)
Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

Offline Jabez  
#8 Posted : 04 March 2018 01:15:17(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: 5HorizonsRR Go to Quoted Post
Hi all,

I saw lippe has a sale going on the CS3 and CS3+.

Are you sure about this sale? The prices I see are Eu 585 and 699 respectively which has been the Lippe European price for several months.

Sorry, this was posted prematurely. The full post is the following.
I heard that lonesome whistle blow. Hank Williams
Offline Jabez  
#9 Posted : 04 March 2018 01:31:28(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: 5HorizonsRR Go to Quoted Post
Hi all,

I saw lippe has a sale going on the CS3 and CS3+.

Are you sure about this sale? The prices I see are Eu 585 and 699 respectively which has been the Lippe European price for several months.
I too have been trying to decide between a 3 and a 3+. As far as I can figger it out, the principle difference of the 3+ is that you can connect several of them, or other compatible controllers, in a multi-controller network. If you just envisage using one controller the CS3 will be adequate and including the separate purchase of an L88 link you still save over the cost of the 3+ with its built-in L88 link.
So at present I favour the CS3.

Offline Minok  
#10 Posted : 04 March 2018 01:43:51(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Yeah, a quick check of lokshop (no special hunting for sales just looking what a baseline is)

CS3 (€584) + L88 (€69) = €653

CS3plus = €679

So the ability to connect another controller to the CS3plus (via the 6 pin input CAN bus port, vs having an extra 7pin CAN bus port) costs €26.

If you already have an L88, or if you need the non RJ connectors for the older S88 devices that you don't get with the built in port on the CS3plus, then CS3 seems the better purchase.

If you expect to ever want to team up (club, expo, friend with their CS ) then spending the extra €26 may be worth it.

I think for me, having no old Märklin equipment at all other than the MS2 in black, I'd just spend the extra to keep that option open.
But I may end up with a CS2 for all I know, if the BPi+card solution I'm going to try out late this year doesn't pan out, because all I really need is PC computer controll pass-through.
---
My YouTube Channel:
Offline H0  
#11 Posted : 04 March 2018 09:10:02(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Jabez Go to Quoted Post
As far as I can figger it out, the principle difference of the 3+ is that you can connect several of them, or other compatible controllers, in a multi-controller network.
I think the differences have been listed often enough. The question is which difference is the deal breaker for you.

CS3 limitations: No CAN input and no galvanic insulation.
There can be only one CS3 in a multiple-controller setup.
There can be only one CS3 in a multiple-booster setup (and CS2 without galvanic insulation cannot be used with a CS3, but one can be used with a CS3+).

So most people who do not need L88 should be fine buying one CS3 - but those who already have an older CS2 may be better off with a CS3+ if they want to use both boosters. But the older CS2 only have 2.4 A booster current.

I think the CS3 was intentionally crippled for use with starter sets. Thus CS3 starter sets will not be interesting for people who already have a CS3. If you start with a CS3+ you can later add a CS3 from a starter set ...

No easy decision. Just procrastinate until the new ECoS comes out ... Wink
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline MaerklinLife  
#12 Posted : 05 March 2018 05:55:11(UTC)
MaerklinLife

Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post
Yeah, a quick check of lokshop (no special hunting for sales just looking what a baseline is)

CS3plus = €679

So the ability to connect another controller to the CS3plus (via the 6 pin input CAN bus port, vs having an extra 7pin CAN bus port) costs €26.

You also need a power supply (66360 or 66367, 120v) for the L88: 40€ - 45€.

584 + 69 + 40 = 693€
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by MaerklinLife
Offline Minok  
#13 Posted : 05 March 2018 06:27:30(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Great point. If you factor in the power supply then the difference is nothing.
---
My YouTube Channel:
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok
Offline H0  
#14 Posted : 05 March 2018 08:22:14(UTC)
H0

If you want to make use of the L88 and do not have power supplies from the MS2 lying around.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline mbarreto  
#15 Posted : 05 March 2018 09:55:07(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   

The CS3 having no galvanic isolation is what makes me not want the CS3 and prefer the CS3+.
For example have analog locos being feed from the catenary and digital running in the same track seems interesting to me.

Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

Offline H0  
#16 Posted : 05 March 2018 10:07:08(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: mbarreto Go to Quoted Post
The CS3 having no galvanic isolation is what makes me not want the CS3 and prefer the CS3+.
For example have analog locos being feed from the catenary and digital running in the same track seems interesting to me.
That should be no problem even with the CS3, because the transformer used for analogue operation has galvanic insulation.

And a short circuit between catenary and digital centre rail is potentially harmful to both the CS3 and the CS3+.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#17 Posted : 10 March 2018 03:20:12(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Hi all,

I was away on a 2 week business trip, so I'm just catching up to this now. What is the note about a power supply? Does the CS3+ come with a transformer?

Thanks! Between the CS3, CS3+ and an ECOS this is really proving difficult to determine....
SBB Era 2-5
Offline Minok  
#18 Posted : 10 March 2018 03:40:01(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Cs3 don't use transformers , they use power supplies and no they don't come with one because you purchase the one sized to the scale of raulroad you are working with, so for 1/LGB I think is a more powerful power supply can the one die H0
---
My YouTube Channel:
Offline H0  
#19 Posted : 10 March 2018 09:08:15(UTC)
H0

[...] because you purchase the one sized to the scale of raulroad you are working with, so for 1/LGB I think is a more powerful power supply can the one die H0
The ECoS on the other hand comes with a power supply that works around the world (input voltage 100 through 240 V) and that works with all gauges - the booster cutoff limit can be set in the UI when needed.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline michelvr  
#20 Posted : 10 March 2018 15:47:19(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Hi Tom,

I had to look up ROFLBTCUTS? Blushing Rolling On the Floor Laughing Biting The Carpet Unable To Stop

Very good! I learnt something today and I’ll start using it! BigGrin

Offline clapcott  
#21 Posted : 12 March 2018 01:02:29(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: MaerklinLife Go to Quoted Post

CS3plus = €679

You also need a power supply (66360 or 66367, 120v) for the L88: 40€ - 45€.

584 + 69 + 40 = 693€

I believe the assessment logic is flawed.

Please reevaluate, ensuring you are actually comparing the same functional requirements.
And identify value rather than just cost.

Peter
Offline MaerklinLife  
#22 Posted : 12 March 2018 07:50:56(UTC)
MaerklinLife

Originally Posted by: clapcott Go to Quoted Post
I believe the assessment logic is flawed.

Not if you have the old S88 modules already mounted. Which many people do. Of course you will need to use an adapter cable. Which again costs some money.

I believe you mean that I would need to buy an S88 AC module additionally with the CS3 plus, if I do not already have S88 modules. I don't need that with the CS3 because I get the same functionality with the S88 LINK. Then yes, you save some money there.
Offline Drjoe11  
#23 Posted : 06 April 2018 18:57:41(UTC)
Drjoe11

United States   
Do not know if this is the correct forum for this question, but here goes:

I am using K-83 decoders for my turnouts on my old K-track using the old Marklin Digital control 80 and control 80f with 2 boosters.

Can I use the k-83s with a CS3+ to control C-track turnouts on my new proposed smaller C-track layout?

Thanks to all of you for any help.

Joe

Offline TEEWolf  
#24 Posted : 07 April 2018 02:02:59(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: Drjoe11 Go to Quoted Post
Do not know if this is the correct forum for this question, but here goes:

I am using K-83 decoders for my turnouts on my old K-track using the old Marklin Digital control 80 and control 80f with 2 boosters.

Can I use the k-83s with a CS3+ to control C-track turnouts on my new proposed smaller C-track layout?

Thanks to all of you for any help.

Joe

Even I did not test it: yes, it does. In the the digital book

https://www.maerklin.de/...s/details/article/03092/

at the end (pages 181 to 183) is a table, Maerklin has listed all old digital devices and there usage for the new CS 3. For the k 83 they say: usable with no limitations.

See here this picture:

https://www.maerklin.de/...emarchitektur_gesamt.pdf

There is a k 83 connected in a CS 3 system architecture

you only can get this website from Maerklin via their German ones. See here

https://www.maerklin.de/...gitalbuch-cs3/downloads/
Offline TGV POS  
#25 Posted : 08 April 2018 20:24:44(UTC)
TGV POS

France   
Hello
What is the galvanic insulation of the CS3+?
And what is the difference of CS3+ (galvanic insulation) and CS3?
Online kiwiAlan  
#26 Posted : 08 April 2018 21:19:56(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: TGV POS Go to Quoted Post
Hello

The galvanic isolation is required when adding additional cs3 or cs2 as additional controllers. The problem is that if the isolation is not present then you cannot use a 60214 or 60213 cs2 or 60226 cs3 as an additional booster to drive the track as the outputs will short out. Attempting to use any of these together with outputs connected to the track will destroy output stages.

The cs3+, the boosters for cs2 and cs3, the 60215 cs2 and some 60214 cs2 (those with hard ware level at 4 and above) all have galvanic isolation.

The documentation for the cs3 and cs3+ covers the usable combinations.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline TGV POS  
#27 Posted : 10 April 2018 12:26:46(UTC)
TGV POS

France   
What is the S88?
And What he is of use?
Offline PMPeter  
#28 Posted : 10 April 2018 15:15:18(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
What is the S88?
And What he is of use?

This should answer your question.

S88 Link
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by PMPeter
Offline TEEWolf  
#29 Posted : 10 April 2018 19:43:04(UTC)
TEEWolf

What is the S88?
And What he is of use?

In addition to @PMPeter's answer, Märklin issued a Technik-Tipp # 320 for feedback modules and their usage.

https://www.maerklin.de/...faq/Technik-Tipp-320.pdf

You see the three different major devices and the explanation for them. Of course and unfortunately only in German. But I provide you with a very good translation software too.

https://www.deepl.com/translator
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline TEEWolf  
#30 Posted : 10 April 2018 19:56:23(UTC)
TEEWolf

Hello

The galvanic isolation is required when adding additional cs3 or cs2 as additional controllers. The problem is that if the isolation is not present then you cannot use a 60214 or 60213 cs2 or 60226 cs3 as an additional booster to drive the track as the outputs will short out. Attempting to use any of these together with outputs connected to the track will destroy output stages.

The cs3+, the boosters for cs2 and cs3, the 60215 cs2 and some 60214 cs2 (those with hard ware level at 4 and above) all have galvanic isolation.

The documentation for the cs3 and cs3+ covers the usable combinations.

Exactly - and in addition to @kiwiAlan - the differences between a CS and a CS 3+ find them at page 7 under the heading: "Limitations of the 60226 Central Station" in the manual for the 60216 and/or 60226 (page # refers in all languages to the identical, but translated page).

https://static.maerklin....065db123781498138103.pdf

and see them in the complete system architecture for Märklin digital. (Do not get confused, please BigGrin)

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline sudibarba  
#31 Posted : 11 April 2018 02:59:41(UTC)
sudibarba

United States   
Do not get either. They are flawed and do not work as advertised.
Wait until things settle down.

Do what you want - I have three friends that have CS3 and it does not work for them not to mention
all the forum members that are having problems and have contacted me.

This is a huge embarrassment for Marklin.

Eric
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by sudibarba
Offline siroljuk  
#32 Posted : 11 April 2018 08:09:30(UTC)
siroljuk

Finland   
HeyBigGrin
I have owned CS3Plus device from the time they got the store to buy.

At the very beginning, there was a problem that there was not really a manual in the device's operation. You got help from the forum and from here and there and by searching the Internet. The very beginning of the device did not really work in all its aspects, but over time there have been updates that have improved the performance of the device.

Nowadays, the features of the device are quite legible and the device works quite well. It still has bugs and flaws, but at least I have received all the instructions and articles described functions and features to work well.

You can say that CS3Plus works at least as well as the latest version of CS2.

The digital world of model train is not easy to understand and work with. If you want to use all features of CS3Plus/CS3 you have to know at least something about computers and networking, You have to understand basics of how digital devices are build and how they works.

If you want to play with model trains with digital steering and you can just put the cables connected and want to go, then you have to forget these new digital devices and keep in conventional world let's say at least for few of years. I really am sorry to say this but it really is so.Scared Scared

I very much hope that the reader of this text will not be ashamed of such a strong opinion.Blushing Blushing

Regards

Jukka
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by siroljuk
Offline johnpatrickwack  
#33 Posted : 11 April 2018 17:53:55(UTC)
johnpatrickwack

United States   
Originally Posted by: siroljuk Go to Quoted Post
HeyBigGrin
I have owned CS3Plus device from the time they got the store to buy.

At the very beginning, there was a problem that there was not really a manual in the device's operation. You got help from the forum and from here and there and by searching the Internet. The very beginning of the device did not really work in all its aspects, but over time there have been updates that have improved the performance of the device.

Nowadays, the features of the device are quite legible and the device works quite well. It still has bugs and flaws, but at least I have received all the instructions and articles described functions and features to work well.

You can say that CS3Plus works at least as well as the latest version of CS2.

The digital world of model train is not easy to understand and work with. If you want to use all features of CS3Plus/CS3 you have to know at least something about computers and networking, You have to understand basics of how digital devices are build and how they works.

If you want to play with model trains with digital steering and you can just put the cables connected and want to go, then you have to forget these new digital devices and keep in conventional world let's say at least for few of years. I really am sorry to say this but it really is so.Scared Scared

I very much hope that the reader of this text will not be ashamed of such a strong opinion.Blushing Blushing

Regards

Jukka

I could not resist adding my 2 cents, especially since over the past two years I've often beaten my head against the wall trying to understand aspects of digital control. There has been so much useful knowledge from this forum that I'm sure someone with the energy and time could write a wonderful book that thoroughly discusses digital control. Such a book would help people such as myself who have tried to get into digital control and didn't realize how much there is to learn and how difficult it is to find certain types of information.

With regard to the CS3/CS3+, I would agree that the CS3+ is the better choice if you have the extra money. I also agree with those who assert that the CS3/CS3+ is not ready - it is not robust and there are many items on it that could use a redesign or patch. I think a good reputable software company would be embarrassed if they released a product such as the CS3/CS3+.

But, if you're getting into digital control with Marklin locos and track, and you don't know that much, the CS3/CS3+ is perhaps a reasonable choice - if, that is, Marklin eventually fixes all the problems. When I was first asking about buying one, some people responded that an ESU 50200 was a much better choice and, after using the CS3 and learning more about digital control, I think they might be right. But to someone just getting into digital control, there are so many things to learn, and sticking with Marklin is perhaps easier and safer.

From one of the well-respected members of the forum, I got into digital control using PC-based software - I use iTrain (I'm a Mac user and liked iTrain for that, but I know the other software out there is also very good). So now my CS3 mainly sits there, passing info back and forth to the locos and accessories and to iTrain. It does have a nice display, and it performs well in that role - I use it also for configuring locos and so forth, but mainly most of my time is spent using iTrain. The CS3 sort of tries to implement block control, but it doesn't come close to iTrain in its capabilities or user interface. So, if I had known all that beforehand, I might have bought something else. However, like I said, the CS3/CS3+ does a great job of serving as an interface between the train/track and iTrain (even though it seems to reboot at the slightest derailment). So, for someone who enjoys a more manual style of operation and is also trying to get into digital control is a bigger way, I think it is a reasonable purchase (again, trusting that Marklin will eventually fix its problems).

I'm not coming to any conclusion or recommendation - other that there is/was so much for me to learn regarding digital control that I'm not unhappy I stuck with Marklin products such as the CS3 or L88 or M83, etc. But now that I know more, I can start using more products from ESU and other companies if the products are more robust, cheaper, and so forth. Perhaps I'm not adventurous enough to have used these other products when I was first starting, or perhaps I just have a preference for Marklin, I don't know.

My 2 cents (if it's even worth that much :-), John
---
John P. Wack
Silver Spring, MD
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by johnpatrickwack
Offline Minok  
#34 Posted : 11 April 2018 19:28:48(UTC)
Minok

United States   

I disagree with this generalization; though maybe that is because I'm an engineer and technically/computer minded my whole life and may find the subject not as complex as others that don't have a technical predisposition do.

Digital control of model railroads seems to be pretty straight forward:

• you replace analog power delivery (DC or AC) that caused all of the locomotives on a given track/electrical circuit to run at the same time,
  • with a digital power delivery (a square wave signal that is power and superimposed data channel) which allows power to the track + instructions to addresses that allow specific locomotives to be told what to do, regardless of the track power.

The encoding protocol you select (DCC or MFX or MM etc) is determined by the locomotives you purchased and their capabilities, and the controller you want to use.

Now what I have found complex is the way that pretty straight forward world is implemented by manufacturers with the confusing array of part numbers and variations on the same item with differing capabilities. Märklin seems more complex than most, because the parts are all referred to by model numbers rather than model names, but a driving reason for that is because of the differences between the various model numbers that have the same model name (eg CS2 variants). And that is a result of the ongoing development of the Märklin digital technologies that were implemented over decades and the backwards compatibility in the devices and between devices that have come out over the past several decades.

If you are starting out in 2018 new to the game and have zero existing material, thankfully its a lot simpler than the rats-nest of Märklin products out there new and used; so long as you stick to more recent digital stuff. When you reach back to older models that implement or use various older technologies then it gets trickier, be it in the motors or the specific Märklin digital system supported by the loco.

I agree with the view that the CS3/3+ still has issues, and maybe for the most value one should get a late model CS2 that supports the latest firmware that added the 32 function capability. But if your just starting out, a good option is to just start with a MS2 control system, thats a low cost controller and gets you the ability to do a lot - and then if you decide to go computer control, you haven't spent a bunch of money on a CSx that just acts as an interface to the trackbox. You can always buy a CSx later.
---
My YouTube Channel:
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Minok
Offline David Dewar  
#35 Posted : 11 April 2018 21:51:19(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
I am still waiting until somebody on our forum buys a CS3 plus recently (a few days ago) and I can find out if most of the faults have been sorted. Will stick with Marklin as I always have with controllers and none have ever let me down including the CS2 and others before.
Marklin should however make sure anything they sell works as it should before putting it on sale and when I buy the Cs3 I have no doubt it will be fine.
Great forum for letting others find out faults etc lol
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by David Dewar
Online kiwiAlan  
#36 Posted : 11 April 2018 22:53:23(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: johnpatrickwack Go to Quoted Post

I think a good reputable software company would be embarrassed if they released a product such as the CS3/CS3+.

Oh that that was the truth - there is many a reputable software company that has put a product out to market only to find that there is some aspect of its operation they haven't verified in their regression testing, or the bounds that were tested didn't push the corner limits of the test cases hard enough, and customers found the package had faults that should have been sorted long before.

Quite frankly the marketing department had to make a decision about when the CS3 range was likely to be ready to market, and to terminate production of the CS2 range at a suitable time ahead of that so they could clear any stock they held. I think they got it about right, and when the CS3 range was introduced they kept on working on the software and came out with updates on a regular basis to get rid of the worst of the bugs, to a point where it is now a useful device, and I don't believe that purchasing one now would get you a product that matches the product those earlier in this thread "wouldn't buy". Yes it still has some problems, but they will go in time, just as the CS2 ones have.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline MaerklinLife  
#37 Posted : 12 April 2018 10:32:26(UTC)
MaerklinLife

I have a hard time figuring out what you guys think is actually wrong with the CS3s.

I would like people to clarify if the believe a feature really has a bug

- OR -

If it just does not work the way THEY THINK it should.

There is a difference.

My CS3 Plus works just fine for what I use it for (automation using events and running trains with mfx and DCC).

Bugs known to me:
- I do have some problems with programming DCC, which I believe is a bug in the DCC programming interface on the CS3. This is really annoying. My work around is to use a Mobile Station 2 to write DCC CVs. It works and it is faster. I hope future versions will correct this. I do not have problems running DCC locomotives in general. I do not have problems with programming MFX.

Generally the translation could be better, but to me that is not a bug that makes the thing unusable. Every update contains a few corrections. I see this as work in progress.

Other than that, I have not noticed any critical bugs. There are a lot of things that could benefit from being revisited for usability and such, but they are not bugs IMO.

I cannot recognize the picture painted here with the CS3 being unstable and full of bugs. Also: Please update your CS3 before blasting out negative comments on a forum. What ever problem you had might be fixed.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by MaerklinLife
Offline David Dewar  
#38 Posted : 12 April 2018 12:24:57(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
I have a hard time figuring out what you guys think is actually wrong with the CS3s.

- OR -

There is a difference.

My CS3 Plus works just fine for what I use it for (automation using events and running trains with mfx and DCC).

Bugs known to me:
- I do have some problems with programming DCC, which I believe is a bug in the DCC programming interface on the CS3. This is really annoying. My work around is to use a Mobile Station 2 to write DCC CVs. It works and it is faster. I hope future versions will correct this. I do not have problems running DCC locomotives in general. I do not have problems with programming MFX.

Generally the translation could be better, but to me that is not a bug that makes the thing unusable. Every update contains a few corrections. I see this as work in progress.

Other than that, I have not noticed any critical bugs. There are a lot of things that could benefit from being revisited for usability and such, but they are not bugs IMO.

I cannot recognize the picture painted here with the CS3 being unstable and full of bugs. Also: Please update your CS3 before blasting out negative comments on a forum. What ever problem you had might be fixed.

Thanks for your views. This gives me confidence. I just use Marklin control and do not use any other bits etc added to it from other manufacturers so it is interesting to see just what problems there are with the CS3 and from what you say there are now not that many.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline siroljuk  
#39 Posted : 12 April 2018 13:44:01(UTC)
siroljuk

Finland   

- OR -

There is a difference.

In my opinion, and for me, the real problem is and has been all the time, that Märklin produces official instructions too late. When I purchased CS3Plus I have some kind of idea what I was purchasing, but really I didn't know fore sure exactly what features new CS3Plus will offer to me. My expectations were somehow different that I has got.

I do not know why Märklin released information about their new control-device, even though they did not tell about the plans and features of new device or the upcoming schedules.. I think they should have published their features and goals and released the device after all plans had been completed and well tested.
This is not the case, we still do not know what features CS3 will really contain.

Quite a lottery! Huh Huh

As I have many times written, CS3Plus is nowadays quite good device, sometimes it hags and I have to "hard boo"t it, but after "hard boot"( it means take power off and put it on again) everything goes well again. I think there will be new features which we don't know so the Device has futureThumpUp ThumpUp

Regards
Jukka

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by siroljuk
Offline MaerklinLife  
#40 Posted : 12 April 2018 20:29:53(UTC)
MaerklinLife

In my opinion, and for me, the real problem is and has been all the time, that Märklin produces official instructions too late. When I purchased CS3Plus I have some kind of idea what I was purchasing, but really I didn't know fore sure exactly what features new CS3Plus will offer to me. My expectations were somehow different that I has got.

I agree. The lack of information is a big problem. Märklin could definitely benefit from better guides and instructions. Earlier they published books with a lot of information around how the digital system works. The information today is more or less an overview.

That is a problem and it should be addressed.

Looking at it from my chair, I could have been without the CS3 (not plus) option. I think it adds to unecessary confusion.

I would also like Märklin to be more open about their plans for fixing the problems that do exist. It would give me confidence that they are attended to and fixed. The silence just spawns unecessary worries and makes me uncertain on what the future might hold.

I am not saying that they should expose all their plans. But at least keep the customers in the loop about what bugs are on queue to be fixed. A lot of major software companies do this and it works very well for them.

Märklin is not alone here though AFAIK no model railway manufacturer do this. Here is a chance to be a first mover in customer service. Smile
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by MaerklinLife
Offline Minok  
#41 Posted : 12 April 2018 22:18:52(UTC)
Minok

United States   
If major software companies such as Microsoft and Apple don't have transparency on if they are fixing something and when a fix may be released, I don't expect Märklin to be doing it.
---
My YouTube Channel:
Offline TEEWolf  
#42 Posted : 13 April 2018 01:07:19(UTC)
TEEWolf

If major software companies such as Microsoft and Apple don't have transparency on if they are fixing something and when a fix may be released, I don't expect Märklin to be doing it.

Forget Microsoft. My WIN 10 is the worst operating system since I started working with DOS 2.0.

Forget Apple. The tablet of my mother is driving me crazy after about 2 years of usage. It is getting every day more poorer by its function. And it is not the wifi in the house. Because my Microsoft computers are working.
Offline MaerklinLife  
#43 Posted : 13 April 2018 06:20:13(UTC)
MaerklinLife

Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post
Forget Microsoft. My WIN 10 is the worst operating system since I started working with DOS 2.0.

Forget Apple.

Something tells me that you are not the person to go to for technology advise.

You can always install DOS and to from there. Let us know how it works out in 2018...
Offline Jabez  
#44 Posted : 14 April 2018 22:49:54(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
For what it's worth Maerklin has stated that it is working on an option to upgrade the CS3 to the CS3 plus. But from what I read here you might have a long wait between announced intention and product delivery.
Offline TEEWolf  
#45 Posted : 16 April 2018 02:00:46(UTC)
TEEWolf

For what it's worth Maerklin has stated that it is working on an option to upgrade the CS3 to the CS3 plus. But from what I read here you might have a long wait between announced intention and product delivery.

Amazing or I do not understand your statement. The addition of the missed S88 connection at a 60226 is solved already. You use the L88 and connect the S88 AC or DC with this L88. By the way you have to do this by a 60216 too, if you want to use more S88 connections.

OK, in this architecture the L88 is connected to a 60125, which now is black and got the article # 60145. But both boxes are technical identical. Whereas the manual for a 60145 is at Märklin's website not available. You have to use the manual from the 60125 from Märklin's homepage.

In the manual you see the possible connections. Of course you can directly attach the L88 device to a 60226. In another thread we calculated based on the UVP (= Unverbindliche Preis Empfehlung = Non-binding price recommendation) by Märklin a price difference of 15 € between a 60216 and 60226 included a L88 and S88 equipment.

The 60226 has no CAN-bus input device. Therefore the CS 3 got 2 Märklin device connections. One device may be used for a L88 and the other one for a 60145 terminal. Then you are back in the CAN-bus similar with a CS 3+, but to a higher price. And you still do not have the galvanic separation inside of a CS 3. By my opinion an upgrade for a CS 3 to a CS 3+ is not necessary, even if you never may use the a CS 3 as a slave.
Online kiwiAlan  
#46 Posted : 16 April 2018 15:02:45(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

How can they do this? Why would they?

The major problem is that the track output on the CS3 is not isolated, but the one on the CS3+ is, so the only way to upgrade a CS3 to a CS3+ is to replace the whole printed circuit board.

Does the bottom case of a CS3 have a hole where the s88 bus connects? If not then the bottom half of the case also needs to be replaced.

The cost of the above two items would make it cheaper to just get a CS3+ in the first place.

Offline Jabez  
#47 Posted : 16 April 2018 16:18:37(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
The points raised by TEEWolf and kiwiAlan occurred to me too when I read the statement which is probably why I preceded my comment by FWIW, but here it is verbatim plus the source

The option of upgrading a CS3 to the CS3 plus is already being readied by the way.

Running Trains digitally with the Central Station 3.(page 13) A Maerklin publication which has a publication date of 01 2017
Online kiwiAlan  
#48 Posted : 16 April 2018 17:35:24(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
The points raised by TEEWolf and kiwiAlan occurred to me too when I read the statement which is probably why I preceded my comment by FWIW, but here it is verbatim plus the source

The option of upgrading a CS3 to the CS3 plus is already being readied by the way.

Running Trains digitally with the Central Station 3.(page 13) A Maerklin publication which has a publication date of 01 2017

OK, this sounds like it was written before the s88 link became available. I think that can be the only thing they are referring to, unless anyone else can think of a way to achieve the required functionality. It just means the track output is still not isolated.

Offline MaerklinLife  
#49 Posted : 16 April 2018 19:47:08(UTC)
MaerklinLife

OK, this sounds like it was written before the s88 link became available. I think that can be the only thing they are referring to, unless anyone else can think of a way to achieve the required functionality. It just means the track output is still not isolated.

The S88 LINK was made available to the CS2. It was available before the CS3 were at all a product.

The CS3 cannot be upgraded to a CS3 Plus without a change of the motherboard. The components inside are one single motherboard. I cannot see how you can do an upgrade without having to replace the entire thing.

Should an upgrade ever become available, it would probably be something like "ship your CS3 to Märklin and get a CS3 Plus at a reduced cost" or something similar.

IMO: Märklin should never have made the CS3 in the first place. Too much confusion about which one to get. Leave it at the CS3 Plus and no one will miss out.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by MaerklinLife
Offline David Dewar  
#50 Posted : 17 April 2018 12:05:26(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
There should only be one CS3 (CS3 PLus) Giving the option only confuses things as can be seen and there is little cash difference after buying a link etc for the CS3.
Poor decision by Marklin in my view which they should recitify now. This would not make any difference to CS3 users who did not buy the Plus version as they bought what they needed and of course support and updates would still be available.