Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline grahame  
#1 Posted : 18 February 2018 01:43:03(UTC)
grahame

United States   
Dear All,

After almost 3 years of z scale I am very pleased overall and have locos from Marklin, Micro Trains and American Z. I have two DB89s and one small diesel (8864). Two of the Marklin’s are 3 pole and one of the DB89’s is 5 pole. The two 3 pole locos have run perfectly since I bought them on eBay. The 5 pole DB89, which came with my starter set, has been nothing but trouble. It ran fine when I first got it but began to run slow and hot (sure sign of high resistance) after a few months..it eventually totally died and Marklin kindly replaced the motor (armature) under warranty (less than 12 months old). This ran fine for a while and now is doing exactly the same thing. This loco has been very well treated, cleaned and lubricated (very sparingly) when needed and always run with the correct Z scale controller at very modest voltages. Right now it runs fine for a bit then slows way down then speeds up…when running slow it gets very hot…I suspect a bad sector in the armature?

Question: is there some intrinsic weakness in the 5 pole armature that would be doing this? I am very much inclined to simply replace the armature again with a 3 pole version and be done with this problem.

Thank you...
Online Carim  
#2 Posted : 18 February 2018 10:42:46(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
Hi,

Have you checked whether the brushes are too tight (see my post "Br 182 (88586) gets very hot")? Excepting that one loco, I have had no problems with 5-pole motors from Marklin.

Carim
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Carim
Offline grahame  
#3 Posted : 18 February 2018 15:28:56(UTC)
grahame

United States   
Thank you..I would never have thought of that..i have carefully unbent (is that a word) the brushes..did a very careful lube again..seems to have helped...running nicely right now..let's see...but mine was doing EXACTLY what you reported in your previous thread,

Cheers

ps I thing I did do..with the head of a needle dipped in correct oil..I lubricated the BOTTOM end of the armature shaft (which they do not tell you to do). I was very careful to get the oil below that little shoulder above which is the commutator. The symptoms could all be slight binding somewhere too...
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by grahame
Offline grahame  
#4 Posted : 18 February 2018 19:15:41(UTC)
grahame

United States   
br89.jpg
Offline grahame  
#5 Posted : 19 February 2018 12:45:13(UTC)
grahame

United States   
btw I do realise in this photo that the wheel contact strip is in front of the wheel when it should be behind..I have corrected that now...
Offline stevedenver  
#6 Posted : 19 September 2018 20:00:16(UTC)
stevedenver

United States   
FWIW, i have eight 5 pole locos, some diesel, some steam, no issues with any.

Not to be insulting, but i often find that with these tiny light locos, the wheels and track must be pristine. Often one cannot see the dirt or oxidation, but its there.

Edited by user 24 January 2019 22:17:16(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified