Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Rdsmarklin  
#1 Posted : 25 October 2017 16:43:18(UTC)
Rdsmarklin

United States   
I am a new (2 weeks experience) user of TrainController. In order to go through the learning curve, I am trying to use TrainController to control my small home layout. (See below) So far, I have 5 trains running cycles, shuttles and normal runs perfectly in simulation mode. I have my CS2 connected to my PC using WiFi. The following is connected via addresses through the CS2. Locomotives and locomotive accessories, switches, and block signals. I can't seem to get the s88 signal coming from my circuit tracks through my CS2 to TrainController to track train position. Are there some good references?

Offline PMPeter  
#2 Posted : 25 October 2017 17:31:54(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Hi,

I don't use Train Controller, but I use Rocrail and I had a similar problem when I first started. My biggest problem was with the WiFi. It was too intermittent to have Rocrail see the S88 inputs consistently. So I ended up buying an Ethernet switch and hard connecting my CS2 and laptop to the network. That solved that problem.

However, the other problem was that originally my network settings were "one way". I could turn on and off the CS2 from Rocrail, but a manual shutoff of the CS2 did not shut off the CS2 as far as Rocrail was concerned. I had a submask error in my network settings. So I suggest checking all of your network settings and make sure that you have consistent 2 way communication between your CS2 and TrainController.

Cheers
Peter
Offline pederbc  
#3 Posted : 25 October 2017 17:55:36(UTC)
pederbc

Sweden   
Hi ”Rdsmarklin”,

I`m a user of Traincontroller myself but using an ESU ECoS instead of CS2.

To start:

Wihich version of Traincontroller?
Type of tracks? (Looks like Märklin C on the picture)
Type of S88 detection? (Contact tracks or detection by rail)

I handle the S88 signals through The Hi-88 unit from Littfinski. It has a better and quicker response in my opinion.

/Peder
Offline pederbc  
#4 Posted : 25 October 2017 17:59:06(UTC)
pederbc

Sweden   
And one more thing:

If you want to learn Traincontroller, take a look at Rudy`s Modelrailway. He`s made a lot of videos describing many of the Traincontroller features.

https://rudysmodelrailway.wordpress.com

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by pederbc
Offline clapcott  
#5 Posted : 25 October 2017 20:54:43(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Rdsmarklin Go to Quoted Post
.... I can't seem to get the s88 signal coming from my circuit tracks through my CS2 to TrainController to track train position...

Can you see the sensors reliably on the CS2?
If they are not seen there, then no amount of software will help.

For S88s , ensure there is a return circuit to the same S88 (s88 stack)

Peter
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by clapcott
Offline Minok  
#6 Posted : 25 October 2017 21:18:15(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Indeed the first step is to ensure the S88 data is showing up on the CS2 itself; if its not getting there then a network connected PC has no chance.

A cross-over cat5 cable between PC and CS to put them on their own 2 node ethernet network (you'd have to manually set up the network info: ip addresses, net-mask, etc) should allow an ideal communication between computer and CS. A cross-over Ethernet cable is not a normal Ethernet cable, by swapping tx/rcv one can connnect two nodes without needing a switch/router. That would take the WiFi out of the equation in case that is the problem.

Figuring out where the problem is is the thing to look at.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline Rdsmarklin  
#7 Posted : 26 October 2017 05:45:33(UTC)
Rdsmarklin

United States   
My CS2 gets reliable feedback from the s88's using Marklin's Circuit Tracks as momentary contact triggers. Is there a mapping of the s88 addresses (e.g. 1-1, 1-2, ... 1-8) to a standard address? I set up the CS2 system several years ago. Any address that I get from the CS2 and plug into the TrainController works perfectly. Does the s88 have a base address and it's inputs have the numbers 0-7 added to the base? Using the CS2, how is the base determined. I have generally good documentation for all the other addresses used in the system.
Offline Danlake  
#8 Posted : 26 October 2017 10:35:08(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
If using Traincontroller 8 makes sure you install the +hardware package from Freiwald, to get full compability with Marklin cs2/3. With latest version 9 it’s included in the software.

It’s a known fact that previous versions of Traincontroller had issues with feedback poling from the central station.

See a few posts

http://www.freiwald.com/...lin+CS2+feedback#p162488

http://www.freiwald.com/...lit=Marklin+CS2+feedback

Brgds Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
Offline Rdsmarklin  
#9 Posted : 02 November 2017 15:04:34(UTC)
Rdsmarklin

United States   
At this point, my TrainController GOLD connects to my Marklin CS2 controller through all addresses. I can reliably control: engines, signals, sounds, or anything I can address. What I can't seem to do is find out how to get occupancy feedback from my Circuit Tracks. I use Circuit Tracks to control, through the CS2, all block signals. As each block signal has a specific address, the state of the block signal (red or green) is reflected on my TC Switchboard. The Circuit Track sends a momentary signal to the CS2, it send out a signal to the block signal address for a given state, and the state is reflected on TC. How can I get the momentary contact signal to trigger on an occupancy block?
Offline Danlake  
#10 Posted : 02 November 2017 20:30:04(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Hi there,

Can you just confirm that you are using the circuit track wired as per below:

Circuit track wired to a S88 feedback module wired to CS2?

And that the circuit track is not wired directly to a K83 module to switch the signals?

Also what version of Traincontroller are you using (version 8 or 9)?

Brgds Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
Offline PeFu  
#11 Posted : 03 November 2017 06:20:32(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
I don’t have access to my CS2/TrainController configurarion right now, and also, I am using a router between the CS2 and TC. However, I found the following suggested setup in the Railroad & Co TC forum:

Here is an example of IP settings to connect CS2 and PC with a crossover RJ45 cable.

PC:
IP address 192.168.178.1
Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway 192.168.178.2 (optional)

CS2 IP:
Type: manual
IP address 192.168.178.2
Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway 192.168.178.1 (optional)

CS2 CAN Gateway:
Broadcast
Gateway Address 192.168.178.255

To test your connection, start the the Web browser on your PC and enter the IP-address of your CS2. You should see the Web GUI of your CS2, where you can take e.g. a CS2 screen shot.

Of course, you could change the ”178” subnet etc. to whatever applies for your setup.

Cool PeFu
Andreasburg-Mattiasberg Bahn is inspired by Swiss railways |Forum Thread |Track Plan |Youtube | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V10
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PeFu
Offline Minok  
#12 Posted : 03 November 2017 22:12:29(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Directly connecting the PC to the CS with a crossover cable and fixed IP addresses takes out the slight signalling delay over the router and lets the packets (are they TCP (circuit setup time, with guaranteed sequence and delivery or RDP(postcard, no setup time, no guarantee delivery or sequence)) quicker from one device to the other. So if TC is highly sensitive to the timing, that may matter. I recall reading that directly having the PC read the S88 data (for TC) rather than routing it through the CS also improves reliability, but then you are using the CS only as a PC interface, and not to run the layout in general.
---
My YouTube Channel:
Offline Rdsmarklin  
#13 Posted : 29 November 2017 00:37:51(UTC)
Rdsmarklin

United States   
UPDATE on s88 with CS2 and TrainController

I learned, after much effort, that the Address field in TrainController is set to 0 (zero) for the first s88 module (16 inputs). Then the Input field is the pin number (1-16).

Having done this, everything in TrainController is working ... EXCEPT

I can run one (1) train through a schedule at a time. The CS2, on the CS2 layout display, only shows activation of a single s88 input signal (from a contact track) at a time. If a second loco is on the layout and on a contact track, no s88 input signals are displayed for either loco. On the CS2 an input signal from the s88 shows up as a yellow colored s88 sensor icon on the layout display. On TrainController, a block with a loco shows up red. As indicated above, this only happens when one train is operating.

This seems to be an issue with the CS2, that takes in and processes the raw s88 signals. Is there some setting that is needed to have multiple s88 inputs active and displayed on the CS2 at a time?

Russ Schundler
russ@schundler.net
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Rdsmarklin
Offline Minok  
#14 Posted : 29 November 2017 01:24:58(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Thats got to be a bug, Russ, because if S88 only works with a single train on the layout moving, there's almost no need for S88 at all really, as you can just manually drive the one train that is allowed to be moving at a time. :) Curious to read what the gurus of S88 report.
---
My YouTube Channel:
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok
Offline Danlake  
#15 Posted : 29 November 2017 03:17:53(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Hi Russ,

Yes agree, sounds like there is a bug in the system/softwareAngry

Maybe it’s time to skip the CS for feedback handling and go with this solution:

https://www.ldt-infocent...oku.php?id=en:hsi-88-usb

Many Traincontroller fans are using this option to ensure fast and reliable feedback handling, without being in the mercy of Marklin and Traincontroller ability able to handle this supposely simply task...

Brgds Lasse
Offline PeFu  
#16 Posted : 29 November 2017 10:21:31(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: Rdsmarklin Go to Quoted Post
UPDATE on s88 with CS2 and TrainController

I learned, after much effort, that the Address field in TrainController is set to 0 (zero) for the first s88 module (16 inputs). Then the Input field is the pin number (1-16).

Having done this, everything in TrainController is working ... EXCEPT

I can run one (1) train through a schedule at a time. The CS2, on the CS2 layout display, only shows activation of a single s88 input signal (from a contact track) at a time. If a second loco is on the layout and on a contact track, no s88 input signals are displayed for either loco. On the CS2 an input signal from the s88 shows up as a yellow colored s88 sensor icon on the layout display. On TrainController, a block with a loco shows up red. As indicated above, this only happens when one train is operating.

This seems to be an issue with the CS2, that takes in and processes the raw s88 signals. Is there some setting that is needed to have multiple s88 inputs active and displayed on the CS2 at a time?

Russ Schundler
russ@schundler.net

Hi! I think there are a few basic facts we need here:

What contact tracks are you using? What brand and article N.o. of S88 modules are you using? How are they connected to the contact tracks? How are the S88 modules connected to the CS2? How are they defined in the CS2?

Pictures could also be very good, in order the get input from us. Cool
Andreasburg-Mattiasberg Bahn is inspired by Swiss railways |Forum Thread |Track Plan |Youtube | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V10
Offline Rdsmarklin  
#17 Posted : 29 November 2017 20:12:39(UTC)
Rdsmarklin

United States   
Here is the info (via photos)

CS2/Software Version:
IMG_0097.jpg
IMG_0098.jpg

s88 being used:
IMG_0101.jpg

Marklin Contact Tracks being used:
IMG_0102.jpg

Layout Display showing a triggered Contact Track in yellow (only when one at a time is triggered:
IMG_0100.jpg

If these images don't come through, please e-mail me and I will send the same info via e-mail. Using this forum with images is a little frustrating.

Russ Schundler
908-723-2162
russ@schundler.net
Offline clapcott  
#18 Posted : 30 November 2017 00:56:03(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Having one (any) sensor work (fairly) reliably but multiple sensors not doing so, is a classic symptom of incomplete return wiring to the s88

With only one sensor triggered, the s88 can infer an induced occupancy even though there may be an aerial
As a 2nd comes into play there is an essential need for solid and correct return wiring to the s88.
Peter
Offline Rdsmarklin  
#19 Posted : 03 December 2017 15:48:09(UTC)
Rdsmarklin

United States   
Originally Posted by: clapcott Go to Quoted Post
Having one (any) sensor work (fairly) reliably but multiple sensors not doing so, is a classic symptom of incomplete return wiring to the s88

With only one sensor triggered, the s88 can infer an induced occupancy even though there may be an aerial
As a 2nd comes into play there is an essential need for solid and correct return wiring to the s88.

Thanks ... after checking in more detail, the grounding connection to the s88 was broken. After re-wiring the BROWN grounding connection all is working as expected !!!
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Rdsmarklin