Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#1 Posted : 25 August 2017 21:46:00(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Hi everyone,

I needed a bit of assistance if possible with tuning a HAG locomotive I recently converted using a lokpilot V4.0 decoder. The installation went fine, but the midrange speed of the locomotive has a massive jerking motion. I know it is not the motor itself as it ran fine before conversion.

I'd like to tune the decoder, but I'm not sure how to go about it on my ecos 50000 with software version 4.2.0? (the latest software) The first thing I'm not used to is the fact the loco auto-loads as railcom DCC? I found this odd, but perhaps its a result of my updating the latest ecos software. Along with that update the decoder tuning capabilities are different and I'm simply confused as I don't know how to find or change CV's

I see two options but have no idea how to reach them:

1- set CV53 to 0, hit F1 and auto tune. But how do I find CV53 in the ecos?
2- Use a set of CV parameters I've found. But I still don't know how to access the CV table
3- Maybe I"m just missing something and one of you can tell me how to do it on a new ecos?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Edited by user 26 August 2017 02:58:47(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

SBB Era 2-5
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 26 August 2017 07:37:19(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: 5HorizonsRR Go to Quoted Post
3- Maybe I"m just missing something and one of you can tell me how to do it on a new ecos?
I only have an old ECoS 60212. The CV screen is amongst the system tabs, it is not loco-specific.

There should also be a tab in the loco properties where you can read the configuration from the loco and configure the DCC loco like you do with an mfx loco.

Generic DCC screen (with an older ECoS version):
UserPostedImage

Loco-specifc screen (motor parameters are on the tab above the "aux" tab):
UserPostedImage

Pictures taken from this thread:
https://www.marklin-user...-Update-59990---reloaded
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline river6109  
#3 Posted : 26 August 2017 07:55:09(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
This is one of the reason I bought the ECoSbut more so for the lokprogrammer, I've looked at the CV table and thought to myself, this is crazy. since I've bought the lokprogrammer I don't look back and therefore I can't help you, if you would have a lokprogrammer I could direct you to the page. the Lokilpt 4.0 gives you several different types of motor options which you can select and it will change the CV's automatically (HAG motors).

regards.,
John

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline Danlake  
#4 Posted : 26 August 2017 09:28:02(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Hi,

You should be able to read and write all CV's with your ECOS.

Assume you downloaded the latest ESU manual for Lokpilot decoder?

Just some basics first (sorry if you already know this):

2 ways too program. Either you use some generic decoder profiles and write all these to the loco or you write individually CV.

In any case I would always do it while the loco is on the programming track only.

Just because you have created a loco and can control it, the command station doesn't always know all the CV on the decoders. It's only when you physically write a value to a CV that something will be changed in the decoder. So whatever you see on the command station might not be the actual value of a CV (but just an old generic decoder profile setting). You should be able to read a value of a CV if its a ESU decoder. For other decoders that wont always work.

Be carefully with some CV and read the instructions manually carefully. Some are straight forward. Eithers are more complicated e.g. CV29. In this CV you have important general configuration settings and the values is not just either 0 or 1 (e.g. off or on). Here you have 5 different settings in one CV and each setting has its own value. You then add up the values an get a new total number (value) and this value you then write into CV29. The reason it's made like this is to save space in the registers and also give each manufactures possibility to configure unique settings for their products and still be in compliance with the DCC standards.

So to write a value you simple first enter the CV and then the value. Then hit write. The loco should then move in small jerks and light flashing. Try then afterwards to hit read and should be able to see the value you wrote (see screenshots from Tom's post).

As per page 27 in ESU manual regarding M4 mode: Top priority is assigned to DCC with RailcomPLus. Therefore the decoder will always register with RailcomPLus and DCC to an ESU ECOS command station, even when M4 is active. If you don't want M4 active (but only DCC write value of 1 to CV 47 (see page 37). If you want to disable Railcom Plus you will have to change CV28 or CV29 (a bit complicated)

On page 46 you can see the most common motor settings for a HAG motors as below:

CV2 = 4
CV51 = 0
CV52 = 15
CV53 = 100
CV54 = 40
CV55 = 175
CV56 = 200

For automatic calibration of an engine do as follows (see page 47):

1. Loco on programing track and make sure F1 is off
2. Set direction of travel (and make sure your programming track is min. 2 meter long
3. Write value 0 in CV54
4. Press F1
5. The loco will start full ahead and analyze the motor
6. You can then tweak the settings further

As John said the ESU Lokprogrammer is a great piece of software. You can actually use its benefit without spending a dime. Download the software and use on a PC as a demo version. Pick a decoder profile you like and then choose export CV to print. You will then get a long list of all the CV's. Go back to your ECOS and write each single CV individually using your command station.

Hope this helps.

Brgds Lasse

Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
Offline Unholz  
#5 Posted : 26 August 2017 14:39:16(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   
And these are the CV settings recommended in the German-speaking HAG forum a couple of years ago:

CV2: 4
CV3: 24 (desired acceleration setting)
CV4: 32 (desired braking setting)
CV5: 255 (64 in case of older firmware)
CV6: 88 (22 in case of older firmware)
CV51: 16
CV52: 16
CV53: 96 (desired speed setting)
CV54: 8
CV55: 112
CV56: 255
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#6 Posted : 26 August 2017 22:43:17(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Hi everyone, I located and tried out the default HAG setting from the manual, and it works pretty well! Problem solved thank to all of you!

As a secondary note, I guess this is reason not to trust the autotune feature- I had tried that twice (once when I installed the decoder, again today) and it was setting these poor jerking settings.

On to the next project!
SBB Era 2-5
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by 5HorizonsRR
Offline Ross  
#7 Posted : 27 August 2017 00:33:53(UTC)
Ross

Australia   
Hello All,

All CV's can be programmed with the ECoS 1 or 2. The ESU documentation doesn't cover every CV so I have found if you use the LokProgrammer program to find the CV values you can then use the ECoS to program the decoder, this can be time comsuming. Making one selection (box tick) with the LokProgrammer may change many CV's and these are hard to find out what has changed. (see article below)

Please note the decoder firmware can't be updated with the ECoS as well as sounds.

See this article I wrote to help highlight the required CV's when using the LokProgrammer.

LokProgrammer Article

Ross
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Ross
Offline French_Fabrice  
#8 Posted : 27 August 2017 09:01:36(UTC)
French_Fabrice

France   
Hello,

It is slightly out of topic, but it may help a number of people using the LokProgrammer software.

In addition to Ross's article, I recently found on ESU forum an unofficial manual of the LokProgrammer written in English, dated from 2014.
It is based on version 4.4.13 of the software.

LokProgrammer_ESU_EN_manual_edition_I_v1_eBook.zip (5,263kb) downloaded 36 time(s).

For people having an ESU account, it is located in this thread:
http://www.esu.eu/en/for...t_match_latest_software/
as an attachment.

HTH
Fabrice
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by French_Fabrice