Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Kapalua  
#1 Posted : 22 August 2017 22:31:54(UTC)
Kapalua

Denmark   
My collection of locomotives primary consist of Marklin which I understand are made in Germany and in Czech Republic.
What other AC HO scale locomotives are still made in Europe? I wrote to Brawa and asked but never got a reply.
Not saying that Locomotives made in China are crap but if prefer to spend my money on trains made in Europe if I have a choice.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Kapalua
Offline Harryv40  
#2 Posted : 23 August 2017 00:16:11(UTC)
Harryv40

United Kingdom   
Hi and welcome to the forum!
Unfortunately nowadays most, including Marklin, have locos, coaches and wagons made in China! It's also fairly difficult to confirm which items unless you open the box and check the code.
I think you will find that last years Marklin Swiss Elephant loco was made by our friends in the PRC!

Harry
Offline sjbartels  
#3 Posted : 23 August 2017 00:33:29(UTC)
sjbartels

United States   
Originally Posted by: Harryv40 Go to Quoted Post
Hi and welcome to the forum!
Unfortunately nowadays most, including Marklin, have locos, coaches and wagons made in China! It's also fairly difficult to confirm which items unless you open the box and check the code.
I think you will find that last years Marklin Swiss Elephant loco was made by our friends in the PRC!

Harry

Fortunately here in the US, all Marklin products have a made in sticker on them. You're correct that a lot of the basic stuff, starter sets, turn out motors etc all seem to be coming from China, but a great amount of my rolling stock and locomotives have a Made in Hungary sticker on them. Now granted, I don't know where the individual components are being made, so that made in sticker might be more accurately described as an "assembled in" sticker instead, but I do think more production is coming back to Europe, especially higher end stuff, than what is shipping out of China these days.

Another interesting note is I have a modest amount of Piko stuff and it seems their Made in China stuff is of a very similar quality to their Made in Germany stuff.... that could be just because I have a modest amount, or maybe that their China facility has better oversight than the Marklin one. Just MHO
American by Geography, Australian by Birth. I am an original Ameristraylian
MrB32  
#4 Posted : 23 August 2017 03:30:28(UTC)

A few interesting links.

PIKO china manufacture:

Marklin tried the China route in the past, but went 180 degrees a few years ago. Everything is manufactured in Germany or Ungary.
http://www.manufacturing...7/gebr-marklin-cie-gmbh/
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 23 August 2017 07:59:11(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: Alt-Right Go to Quoted Post
My collection of locomotives primary consist of Marklin which I understand are made in Germany and in Czech Republic.
LOL

Märklin have factories in Germany and in Hungary.
Märklin are also a reseller for items made all over the world.
My Märklin BR 24 (#36243) has "Made in China" printed on the box. Items that were seen with "Made in China" stickers include the bay S 2/6 and the Swiss Elephant from Märklin.

If you ask for companies that still have some production in Europe, then there will be many including Märklin, Roco, Fleischmann.
If you ask for companies that have production completely in Europe: LOL

Piko have their own factory in China. Pika deliver on time and they deliver good quality.
Märklin get their China stuff from other manufacturers and with respect to delivery dates and quality, they depend solely on those external manufacturers. Items that once were announced for May 2017 are now announced for Q4/2017 and the date was shifted in several small steps and Q4 may not be the end of the line.

Roco announced the end of "Made in China" a few years ago (but I assume this does not include third-party items like power supplies). They started with "Made in Vietnam" for some rolling stock not so long ago.

Originally Posted by: MrB32 Go to Quoted Post
Marklin tried the China route in the past, but went 180 degrees a few years ago. Everything is manufactured in Germany or Ungary.
Good joke.
Any official source for "Everything is manufactured in Germany or Hungary"?

Extensive "Made in China" discussion can be found here:
https://www.marklin-user...klin-made-in-China/page6
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by H0