Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline strummer  
#1 Posted : 03 August 2017 20:05:39(UTC)
strummer

United States   
Just found out about this group and have joined, and here's why:

I picked up a little Marklin set #8165 at a local yard sale.

IMG_20170801_112341894.jpg

IMG_20170801_112325850.jpg

Now, I did dabble in Marklin HO back in the early 1990s, but was not impressed enough to pursue it further. I guess that, after being used to can motors and DC current, the AC powered "pancake" motors and all the associated gear that comes with it seemed a bit too "primitive", kinda like the Lionel stuff I had when I was young. No offense intended! :)

In any case, this was too good a deal to pass up, and I had been curious about Z ever since Marklin introduced it so many years ago. After a gentle cleaning and light lubing, I must say I am very impressed with how well this little thing runs. Sure, it is a bit on the fast side, but using a Rokuhan controller, it ain't bad. I've had some 6-wheeled N scale switchers that didn't run this well.

I'm thinking a nice little coffee table layout might be a worthwhile addition to my living room...

Mark in Oregon

Edited by user 04 August 2017 00:49:24(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 8 users liked this useful post by strummer
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 03 August 2017 22:27:30(UTC)
H0

Hi, Mark,

Welcome to the forum!

Märklin H0 has changed a lot in this century: there are a lot of DC can motors nowadays, rarely some motors with bell-shaped armatures (coreless motors) - and until a few years ago there even were brushless motors.

Z gauge has seen a development in motors, too: three-pole motors, straight-wound five-pole motors, skew-wound five-pole motors, can motors.

I have mostly H0 (and mostly Märklin), but I also have a few Z gauge loco because they are so tiny.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Danlake  
#3 Posted : 04 August 2017 03:52:07(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Hi Mark,

Welcome to the forumThumpUp

Brgds Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
Offline strummer  
#4 Posted : 07 August 2017 05:36:39(UTC)
strummer

United States   
Thanks for the greetings.

As a sort of "PS" to this purchase: I'm guessing this set was pretty much un-used, as the little loco (#8895) was pretty "stiff" right out of the box.

It now has a couple hours or so of running time, and seems to be improving the longer it runs...is that usual? It's very quiet, and is now capable of some very decent low-speed running, which I find quite remarkable for an engine of such small size and low weight.

I think I'm beginning to see why Marklin has such a high reputation! :)

Mark in Oregon
Offline zscalehobo  
#5 Posted : 07 August 2017 21:18:15(UTC)
zscalehobo

United States   
Originally Posted by: strummer Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for the greetings.

As a sort of "PS" to this purchase: I'm guessing this set was pretty much un-used, as the little loco (#8895) was pretty "stiff" right out of the box.

It now has a couple hours or so of running time, and seems to be improving the longer it runs...is that usual? It's very quiet, and is now capable of some very decent low-speed running, which I find quite remarkable for an engine of such small size and low weight.

I think I'm beginning to see why Marklin has such a high reputation! :)

Mark in Oregon

8895 is a 2-6-0 (LINK)

Your set contains an 0-6-0 and that unit is usually 8800/8805 part number.

Usually, locos that have sat for a long time will freeze up. If you keep them clean and lubricated (lightly) they will run great. :D
Frank Daniels
Owner - z.scale.hobo
A Noch "Top Dealer"
Marklin Dealer and Z Locomotive Service
Irvine, California, USA
www.zscalehobo.com
Offline steventrain  
#6 Posted : 07 August 2017 22:12:19(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Hi Mark,

Welcome to the forum.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline strummer  
#7 Posted : 07 August 2017 22:36:09(UTC)
strummer

United States   
Originally Posted by: zscalehobo Go to Quoted Post

Of course you are correct: what was I thinking? :) Thanks.

Mark in Oregon
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by strummer
Offline AmalfiCoast  
#8 Posted : 07 August 2017 22:46:11(UTC)
AmalfiCoast

United States   
Hi Mark,

Welcome to the forum. I am also a fan of Marklin z-scale. I started out with the 81841 Christmas set during Christmas 2015 and have been steadily increasing my collection ever since. I have a layout planned but just need to find the time to build it! Enjoy your new set!

Regards,
David
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by AmalfiCoast
Offline strummer  
#9 Posted : 08 August 2017 02:08:00(UTC)
strummer

United States   
Thanks David, for the nice welcome.

In my initial post, I mentioned something about "a nice little coffee table layout". Well... Smile

IMG_20170807_164219112_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170807_164105107_HDR.jpg

I cobbled this together over the weekend. I got my hands on a bunch of Micro Trains track, and just kind of threw this together.

At the lowest "reasonable" speed, it takes 1 minute 18 seconds to make an entire loop around the track.

Just kind of "kicking it around" to get an idea of what I might do...suggestions? comments?

Mark in Oregon
Offline AmalfiCoast  
#10 Posted : 08 August 2017 03:23:56(UTC)
AmalfiCoast

United States   
Hi Mark,

Your setup looks like fun! Do you like the Micro Trains track? Here is a link to a post of my basic Z-scale track design using SCARM:

https://www.marklin-user...yout-Thoughts-and-Advice

David
Offline strummer  
#11 Posted : 08 August 2017 03:59:27(UTC)
strummer

United States   
David, et al.

That looks like a very solid design for a layout. Please keep us posted as to your progress.

When I was into N scale, I used Kato "Unitrack", which the Micro Trains track reminds me of.

It (Unitrack) was very reliable, easy to "play with" and conducted electricity very well. I really liked the fact that Unitrack eliminated any track issues. If I was experiencing issues with a given engine, I knew the problem was with the loco, not the track. I'm hoping that the MT track will prove as useful.

I know it probably cannot look as good as "real" track with added roadbed and ballast, but the fact that it has rail joiners and roadbed connectors makes for a very substantial foundation on which to run trains.

Mark in Oregon