Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Rwill  
#1 Posted : 07 April 2017 23:07:31(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
Apologies if this too dumb a question! In my modest set up with hobby signals controlled by MS2 through a M84 and the normal isolating track - how do I set up to stop a push pull Regio set at the signal when it is going "backwards" without the train going way past the signal before the lok slider hits the isolating section?
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 08 April 2017 00:19:08(UTC)
H0

Hi!

Train sets sold by Märklin normally have a built-in slider switch-over: the pushing loco is fed from the slider in the control car.
This requires power conducting couplers and a switch-over module.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Rwill  
#3 Posted : 08 April 2017 10:35:57(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
Thanks Tom

However I guess my Silverfish commuter car set 4158/59/60 circa 1988 whilst having a slider for the directional lighting on the engineers cab doesn't go any further towards the set up you describe!
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 08 April 2017 10:50:34(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Rwill Go to Quoted Post
However I guess my Silverfish commuter car set 4158/58/60 circa 1988 whilst having a slider for the directional lighting on the engineers cab doesn't go any further towards the set up you describe!
That's right.
Either modify the train or the signal setup - or the mode of operation (stop the train manually or with PC control at the right spot).

I just had the idea that a circuit track near the signal could turn the track power off for a long stretch before the signal. This would allow push/pull operation with unmodified trains. That would work automatically.

Or a manual solution: Take a two position switch, mark it "pulled train" and "pushed train" and wire it such that "pushed train" extends the unpowered section in front of the red signal. All pushed trains must have a similar length.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline GlennM  
#5 Posted : 08 April 2017 13:45:48(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Rwill Go to Quoted Post
However I guess my Silverfish commuter car set 4158/58/60 circa 1988 whilst having a slider for the directional lighting on the engineers cab doesn't go any further towards the set up you describe!
That's right.
Either modify the train or the signal setup - or the mode of operation (stop the train manually or with PC control at the right spot).

I just had the idea that a circuit track near the signal could turn the track power off for a long stretch before the signal. This would allow push/pull operation with unmodified trains. That would work automatically.

Or a manual solution: Take a two position switch, mark it "pulled train" and "pushed train" and wire it such that "pushed train" extends the unpowered section in front of the red signal. All pushed trains must have a similar length.

yes great solution ThumpUp
Don't look back, your not heading that way.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by GlennM
Offline mike c  
#6 Posted : 08 April 2017 16:41:50(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
My suggestion would be to have instead of one signal with a switchable zone and an isolation track, to install two signals with a switchable dead zone between the two. This way, a train entered the signal zone from either side would stop within the zone if both signals were red. The dead zone would have to be long enough for the entire train to be in the zone. The locomotive would keep pushing as long as the signal in the other direction remained green. When both were red, power would be cut off.

I wonder why they could not integrate some kind of feature into decoders that would detect a red signal ping and stop the train and then restart the motor when the signal pinged to green?

Regards

Mike C