Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Armando  
#1 Posted : 07 January 2017 23:38:09(UTC)
Armando

United States   
Hello all!

I'd like to share with you this strange behavior that I am noticing on my new Insider BR 95 Locomotive, 39095.

I installed the enclosed smoke generator. When it is turned on, its stem glows smoldering red! The smoke seems to generate without any problem. However, I had never experienced such an issue with any of my steam locomotives. Just to double-check on the matter, I exchanged the initial smoke generator for a new one and inserted it back into the locomotive. Still the same behavior...Confused

And by the way, the glow is not a reflection from the headlights. I tested with lights on and off. Same thing.

Is anyone experiencing the same situation?

BR 95.jpg
Best regards,
Armando García

Offline skeeterbuck  
#2 Posted : 09 January 2017 15:04:47(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
WOW Armando! OhMyGod Scared
I've never seen a Seuthe unit working like that. I would stop using the engine and check with Marklin and Seuthe to find out what the problem may be. Be sure to include that pic of the unit in operation with you inquiry.
In the past, I have applied more voltage to a unit just to test it's operation (i.e. 18 volts to a unit rated for 14 volts) but I've never seen one get that hot to cause glowing.

Good luck and let us know what they have to say.

Chuck
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by skeeterbuck
Offline jvuye  
#3 Posted : 09 January 2017 16:01:52(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
This probably happens because there is no more/ not enough smoke fluid in the generator!!
The good news is that you probably have a very good generator producing **lots** of smoke, but maybe not for very long.
And it may break down quite rapidly too
Running it "dry" is not a good idea IMHO.
Seuthe smoke generators have consistently exhibited wide variations in performance and durability.
Cheeers
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline Armando  
#4 Posted : 09 January 2017 18:58:35(UTC)
Armando

United States   
Originally Posted by: skeeterbuck Go to Quoted Post
WOW Armando! OhMyGod Scared
I would stop using the engine and check with Marklin and Seuthe to find out what the problem may be. Be sure to include that pic of the unit in operation with you inquiry.
Chuck

Chuck,

I've already written to the Märklin Customer Service and forwarded the picture too. Will post their explanation - if any - as soon as I get it.
Thanks!
Best regards,
Armando García

Offline Armando  
#5 Posted : 09 January 2017 19:01:56(UTC)
Armando

United States   
Originally Posted by: jvuye Go to Quoted Post
This probably happens because there is no more/ not enough smoke fluid in the generator!!
The good news is that you probably have a very good generator producing **lots** of smoke, but maybe not for very long.
And it may break down quite rapidly too
Running it "dry" is not a good idea IMHO.
Seuthe smoke generators have consistently exhibited wide variations in performance and durability.
Cheeers

Salut Jacques !
The smoke generator did contain smoke fluid, as you can see from the picture. What seems to help - a little bit - is to set the function on the CS2 to option "smoke". Will test it again with more fluid, maybe half way up filled- and see if it helps.

Best regards,
Armando García

Offline jlopez  
#6 Posted : 05 October 2018 02:18:19(UTC)
jlopez

United States   
Just had this happen after i took the body of a loc to service it. I’ve never seen this happen before. I’ve ran engines with the smoke generator dry and this is not normal. I did use fine metal tweezers to push it down. I think it may have scraped something off the “wick”. Just ordered a new one and hope that solves the problem.

Did marklin ever write back?

Jlo
Offline Drongo  
#7 Posted : 05 October 2018 12:08:00(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Originally Posted by: jlopez Go to Quoted Post

Did marklin ever write back?

Jlo

Right, and pigs fly.
Take it easy . . . . or any other way you can get it !!!!
Offline JohnjeanB  
#8 Posted : 05 October 2018 13:30:31(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Armando

Obviously, the Seuthe resistor is too low which produces more heat and the glowing.
The down side is that it puts your decoder at risk.
I believe the Seuthe resistance should be around 100 Ohms or higher to be compatible with the max current of the decoder (250mA) under digital power @18V (no lower than 72 Ohm to be exact)

Sorry to be technical but the impact of burning the decoder is at least 3 months wait, possible damage to your loco and its packing unless you have a very good dealer who accepts to exchange the Seuthe unit w/o discussions
So my advice is to measure the Seuthe resistance and if lower than 100 Ohm I would remove it until Märklin answers.
Cheers

Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB