Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline baggio  
#1 Posted : 04 January 2017 04:50:05(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Hello, Everyone:

Someone on another forum ran into problems with a loco that has an MFX decoder and was told by the dealer that if the address on the loco (a brand new loco) is already taken up, he cannot use that loco until he changes the address. However, he needs to use another controller and not the one he normally uses to do that. Confused

I was under the impression that MFX decoders have an almost unlimited number of addresses (9999?) and that one need not worry about this sort of thing: the first registration would find a free address for the new loco without having to worry about the new loco's address conflicting with locos one already had.

Am I wrong?

Do I need to worry about buying a new MFX loco and then not being able to use it?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. BigGrin

Silvano

Offline baggio  
#2 Posted : 04 January 2017 05:31:11(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
As a corollary to the above question, I wonder if MFX locos when shipped out from the factory do NOT have an address.

If so, then upon being put on a layout by the buyer the locos are given automatically an address that does not conflict with other locos on the layout.

Is this a correct proposition?

If so, then the mystery of the above matter could be solved by assuming that the dealer already registered the loco to make sure it worked.

If so, then by simply changing the address of the OLD loco so as to leave free the address used by the new loco one could register the new loco as usual.

Am I on to something?

Silvano
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 04 January 2017 08:41:05(UTC)
H0

Hi, Silvano!
Originally Posted by: baggio Go to Quoted Post
Someone on another forum ran into problems with a loco that has an MFX decoder and was told by the dealer that if the address on the loco (a brand new loco) is already taken up, he cannot use that loco until he changes the address. However, he needs to use another controller and not the one he normally uses to do that.
Many hard facts in this question.
Which forum? Which loco? Which protocol? Which controllers?

With mfx there is compulsory automatic address assignment. Everything automatic, so there should not be problems.
mfx decoders always support another protocol (MM and/or DCC, maybe SX) that requires manual address assignment. This manual assignment will be needed for non-mfx controllers.

There are non-mfx Märklin starter set controllers that cannot change the address of modern digital locos. Another controller must be used to change the address.
This problem exists with mfx and fx decoders. Not a problem for those with an MS2.

For mfx, the CS2 indicates a valid address range of 1 through 65535.
cs2_address_error_mfx.png
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline clapcott  
#4 Posted : 04 January 2017 09:57:52(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   

I was under the impression that MFX decoders have an almost unlimited number of addresses (9999?)

A distinction needs to be made between the mFX decoders actual unique address, and the virtual one assigned by a (each) CS2 as it builds its roster.

As each unique mFX is discovered by a CS2 , the CS2 assigns the next virtual address starting from 1.
It is this address that the direct select keyboard allows you to use as a quick dialup.

Back to your original issue -
while it is not expected that decoder IDs themselves might be the same - it is not unheard of either.

I think you need to provide more information about your loco and the actual symptom.

Peter
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by clapcott
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 04 January 2017 10:01:33(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: clapcott Go to Quoted Post
while it is not expected that decoder IDs themselves might be the same - it is not unheard of either.
This Decoder ID is the serial number and cannot be changed by any controller.
A decoder with unset serial number should go back to the manufacturer.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline baggio  
#6 Posted : 04 January 2017 13:23:02(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Many hard facts in this question.
Which forum? Which loco? Which protocol? Which controllers?

To answer the questions:

Forum: 3Rotaie;
Loco: Orient express;
Protocol: Marklin; and
Controller: CS2.

For me, the first question I need to have answered is this: when one buys a brand new loco shipped directly from the factory without having been touched by the seller, does that loco have an address or not?

Second question - if the loco does not have an address already, upon registration on the buyer's layout, does the loco check to find an EMPTY address that would not conflict with the addresses already used on the layout?

Thanks.

BigGrin
Offline H0  
#7 Posted : 04 January 2017 14:10:02(UTC)
H0

All decoders have an address right from the start.

But mfx is different: the controller assigns the mfx automatically based on the serial number of the decoder.
When the controller encounters a new serial number, it will assign the lowest free address to that serial number and communicate it to the decoder.

An MLD (Märklin Loco Decoder) can have three addresses at the same time: main address for MM protocol, DCC address, mfx address.
The default addresses for MM and DCC are given in the manual.

Forum: 3Rotaie;
Loco: Orient express
I didn't find that post. A link might help ...

Sometimes mfx locos will not respond. In such a case, it can help to try the loco with a different controller (where it will register automatically).
Back at the first controller, it must register again.
This is a workaround for a deadlock problem where a loco won't register with the mfx controller because it "thinks" it was already registered, while the controller does not remember the loco.
Many mfx controllers (MS2, CS2, ECoS) have a search function that will sometimes break the deadlock. MS1 and CS1 do not have that search feature - theoretically it is not needed, but practically it is needed sooner or later ...

Maybe this was the problem discussed on the other forum.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline river6109  
#8 Posted : 04 January 2017 14:42:23(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
I think in the early part of the ECoS with RailComPlus was when you've changed the CV's on a loco decoder and put it back onto the track it wouldn't re register as Tom has explained above, now a days its not a problem anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline baggio  
#9 Posted : 05 January 2017 00:33:19(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Here is the link to the 3Rotaie discussion on point, HO:

3Rotaie

How is your Italian, HO? BigGrin
Offline Thewolf  
#10 Posted : 05 January 2017 00:54:44(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Silvano,

HO can translate Italian with google , no ?BigGrin

Thewolf
Project The Richelieu Valley Railway-CS2-Track C- Itrain-Digital
Offline baggio  
#11 Posted : 05 January 2017 01:53:02(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Mamma Mia! Scared

Wars have started because of faulty Google translations. LOL

I use Google translator when I need to do a translation so as to get the process started.

I then thoroughly polish the translation so that it is acceptable, albeit not perfect.

If I don't do that, someone on the Italian forum told me that maybe leaving it in English might have been better ...
Offline baggio  
#12 Posted : 05 January 2017 02:19:21(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Yes, HO, that was the problem in question: you buy a loco and does not want to be registered on you controller, say an MS2, because your MS2 has already given that address to another loco. However you do not know WHICH address. Cursing

In view of the above, then all you need to do is dust up your $50.00 MS1, have the loco registered there, then change the address on the MS1 to one free on the MS2 list. You then put the loco on the MS2 track again, the loco this time smiles at you and runs like the wind.

Is that all correct or am I missing something?

If I am right, then we should all have an MS1 handy for such (rare) cases when this happens (or call Mike, he'll know what to do). BigGrin
Offline RayF  
#13 Posted : 05 January 2017 09:22:22(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Yes, HO, that was the problem in question: you buy a loco and does not want to be registered on you controller, say an MS2, because your MS2 has already given that address to another loco. However you do not know WHICH address. Cursing

In view of the above, then all you need to do is dust up your $50.00 MS1, have the loco registered there, then change the address on the MS1 to one free on the MS2 list. You then put the loco on the MS2 track again, the loco this time smiles at you and runs like the wind.

Is that all correct or am I missing something?

If I am right, then we should all have an MS1 handy for such (rare) cases when this happens (or call Mike, he'll know what to do). BigGrin

Hi Silvano,

I think you are over-worrying about the mfx addresses. The system is designed to be totally invisible to the user. You will never get the situation where the MS2 tries to give a loco an addrss already given to another. It's best to forget completely the idea of mfx addresses and just let the loco register and do its thing.

mfx addresses are unique to each loco. You won't find two with the same address. In fact you will never even see what the mfx address is for each loco. I gather that the CS2 gives each mfx loco a 'number' (not address) just for it's own convenience. I don't know if the MS2 does this but the user does not need to see this anyway.

Your comment above shows that you have been misguided about how the mfx registration works. You have to forget the concept of having an address that you can change. This is not how mfx works.

Please enjoy the simplicity of the system and don't let yourself get worried about problems that don't exist.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline H0  
#14 Posted : 05 January 2017 09:42:26(UTC)
H0

How is your Italian, HO? BigGrin
Good enough to understand that this thread is in a secret area, only accessible for registered users.

With mfx, a loco will remember the ID of the controller and the address it was assigned. When it encounters a new controller it will prompt for a new address. If it encounters a known controller, it will not prompt for a new address.

Sometimes an old MS1 or the MS2 of a friend can break the lethargy.
Maybe even a test with an analogue transformer can break the lethargy.

Still speculating as I didn't see the original Italian question yet. But this sort of mfx problem has been discussed many times before on many fora.

It cannot harm to have a second mfx controller for testing purposes, even if it is just an MS1.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline H0  
#15 Posted : 05 January 2017 09:51:40(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
mfx addresses are unique to each loco. You won't find two with the same address.
mfx addresses are only unique if the serial numbers of the locos are unique. I had two decoders with identical serial numbers and the mfx controllers gave both locos the same mfx address.

I gather that the CS2 gives each mfx loco a 'number' (not address) just for it's own convenience.
The CS2 shows a number or address for each mfx loco and it can be used for quick loco selection.
The number shown to the user may or may not be the mfx address. But why should the CS2 maintain two different unique numbers for each loco?
The mfx protocol requires the CS2 and the MS2 to assign a unique address to the loco.
The MS2 shows no number or address to the user.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline baggio  
#16 Posted : 05 January 2017 13:32:44(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Your comment above shows that you have been misguided about how the mfx registration works.You have to forget the concept of having an address that you can change.This is not how mfx works.

Please enjoy the simplicity of the system and don't let yourself get worried about problems that don't exist.

Well, the problem did exist and it manifested itself to that Italian user who had to send the brand new, expensive loco, back to the seller to fix.

This is what the seller told him in English:

"Hello Mr. Damilano,

with mfx-protocol the locos will get an internal address when they register. Every
loco has its own address. In your case it could be that the loco of set 26922 has
an address which is already registered in your CS2, but for another loco. So, it
won't register new.
You sent the loco back to us and we registered it on our CS3 (we haven't resetted
it). With this process the loco has got a new internal address. We sent it back to
you and the loco could register because it has now a new internal address which is
unknown in your CS2. That all happend in background.

You can also do that if you have a second mfx center like a Mobile Station or so.

I hope you understand my explanations.

Best regards

...."

Anyway, maybe it's me, but I am left still with some confusion about how this works and I would have liked to be CLEAR on point. I do not like the feeling that I may buy a new loco, not be able to use it and not know what to do about it. That's all.

Sorry, HO, I did not realize that only registered users could have access to the forum. I will ask on point and get back to you.
Offline Danlake  
#17 Posted : 05 January 2017 14:28:47(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Hi Baggio,

It has always been a known issues the mfx loco can hang up or some users having difficulties registering it.

The purpose of mfx was to create a simple plug and play system so the users doesn't have to worry about decoder address and settings etc. - just put the loco on the main track, together with all the other locos, and off you go.

However the neat feature comes with a price and as with any electronics can get stuck in a error loop.

I always follow below precautions when registering a new mfx loco and in the last 5 years never had any issues with mfx:

- Make sure no other loco on the main track
- Let CS2 boot up completely
- Then place the train on the main track

If it fails i try and use the programming track

As I recall in the last digital newsletter from the Marklin club there was an article about what to do if mfx won't register. I don't have access to my files here, but maybe someone can upload to this post?

Brgds Lasse

Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Danlake
Offline kiwiAlan  
#18 Posted : 05 January 2017 14:41:12(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Your comment above shows that you have been misguided about how the mfx registration works.You have to forget the concept of having an address that you can change.This is not how mfx works.

Well, the problem did exist and it manifested itself to that Italian user who had to send the brand new, expensive loco, back to the seller to fix.

"Hello Mr. Damilano,

with mfx-protocol the locos will get an internal address when they register. Every
loco has its own address. In your case it could be that the loco of set 26922 has
an address which is already registered in your CS2, but for another loco. So, it
won't register new.
You sent the loco back to us and we registered it on our CS3 (we haven't resetted
it). With this process the loco has got a new internal address. We sent it back to
you and the loco could register because it has now a new internal address which is

You can also do that if you have a second mfx center like a Mobile Station or so.

Best regards

...."

Anyway, maybe it's me, but I am left still with some confusion about how this works and I would have liked to be CLEAR on point. I do not like the feeling that I may buy a new loco, not be able to use it and not know what to do about it. That's all.

Sorry, HO, I did not realize that only registered users could have access to the forum. I will ask on point and get back to you.

This doesn't altogether add up as an explanation of the problem. The description by Tom is a better explanation.

The reason this is not a good explanation (as in having previously had a loco from a same set) is incorrect is because you can have multiple locos from the same catalog number sets, and the mfx protocol will identify each one separately and assign each one a different mfx address. It can do this because each decoder has a different serial number (except in isolated cases as noted above).
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline baggio  
#19 Posted : 05 January 2017 14:42:14(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Yes, HO, the thread is for registered users only.

Sorry.

(But you could register, I am sure the users could use your input from time to time as we do here.)

Thanks.
Offline RayF  
#20 Posted : 05 January 2017 18:30:05(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Any problem I've ever had with a mfx loco failing to register has been solved by doing a reset of the MS2.

As Silvano does not, as far as I know, have the extra complication of a CS2 I suspect he needs nothing more complicated than that in the unlikely event of a faulty registration.
Ray
Offline baggio  
#21 Posted : 06 January 2017 01:47:53(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Well, I am planning on holding on to my MS1 for this purpose.

I do not have a CS and am not planning to buy one - would be much like taking a Ferrari on a country road.

I do have an MS2 - a trade from a Multimaus that I did not need since I had decided to stay analogue in 2 rail (excellent decision).

I just wish M were more reliable in its quality control....

BigGrin
Offline clapcott  
#22 Posted : 06 January 2017 01:49:14(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   

you

This statement implies that no attempt was made to check/update the decoder firmware, which may have assisted in cleaning up any registration recovery issues.

Note: I would expect ANY dealer to perform an update, any time a loco was sent in for repair - regardless of whether it was directly related to the reported symptom or not.
Peter
Offline baggio  
#23 Posted : 06 January 2017 01:56:46(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Note: I would expect ANY dealer to perform an update, any time a loco was sent in for repair - regardless of whether it was directly related to the reported symptom or not.

Why? Confused

Offline TEEWolf  
#24 Posted : 06 January 2017 03:22:57(UTC)
TEEWolf

For me, the first question I need to have answered is this: when one buys a brand new loco shipped directly from the factory without having been touched by the seller, does that loco have an address or not?

Yes, a loco has set an address by Maerklin before shipping. Please read always the attached manual for the loco first. Under the point "Functions" you always find a description of the pre settings and possibilities for this loco. Also the pre setted digital address of the loco is quoted there. Also it is mentioned, which functions are available for a use in the analogue modus.

Second question - if the loco does not have an address already, upon registration on the buyer's layout, does the loco check to find an EMPTY address that would not conflict with the addresses already used on the layout?

If you buy a loco with a mfx or mfx+ decoder installed inside, the systems automatically recognizes the mfx modus and is setting up a correct, not used address. There the mfx is always used at first priority of Maerklin AC system, a conflict does not occur.

If you use the fx decoder or other formats as DCC, you have to set up the locos manually anyway. Then you are careful enough, not setting up a digital address twice. For the DCC programming Maerklin offers a special DCC calculator. See the homepage address here

http://www.maerklin.de/d...formationen/dcc-rechner/

Unfortunately as so often: only in German available.

By the way, at the moment it is the absolute advantage of Maerklin's mfx technology for locos that they are working bidirectional. This means that not only a signal is send from the controller to the engine. Also a signal - as a response - is send from the engine to the controller too. So all necessary information from a new loco is always automatically transmitted and installed between the loco and the system. It is obvious, that it is only functioning with controllers, who understand the mfx or mfx+ format.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline TEEWolf  
#25 Posted : 06 January 2017 04:21:01(UTC)
TEEWolf

"Hello Mr. Damilano,

won't register new.

Best regards

...."

Sorry baggio,

I just read your thread #16 now. The dealer mentioned the set 26922, It is the brand new Orient Express - see here
http://www.maerklin.de/e...s/details/article/26922/

please go there to the manual for this set.
https://static.maerklin....73122ff05a1475160550.pdf

You even find in the manual a description in Italien language. BigGrin

I think, the problem is only that the internal loco database of your friend's controller (which one is he using???) is not actual. So the mfx decoder can not find the presetted data for the "Mfx technology for the Mobile Station / Central Station. Name set at the factory: Bad IVh 1010 • Address set at the factory: 19 / (DCC) 03".

See page 10 in the manual for the 26922 set. My quote is a copy out of the manual.

But I remember, while I run the CS 3 update the week before X-mas, I recognized an update of the locomotive database as well. Then I updated my MS 2 on version 2.7 and this updated the internal loco databse in the MS 2 as well too. So I guess, this new database includes now the loco from 26922, the Bad IVh 1010. If not, then he has to add this new loco to the database either manually by himself or he has to wait till a new update brings him the 26922 into his database. But he must not sent it back to the dealer. OK - it is a service from the dealer doing it for him, but you have all the trouble with packing and sending.

But here is another possibility for your friend. If he has not yet version 2.7 on his MS 2 and has no chance to get a quick update now, then request the dealer to programm a Maerklin locomotive card (art # 60135) for him
http://www.maerklin.de/e...s/details/article/60135/
with all parameters for the Bad IVh 1010 on it. Then he only has to insert the card in his MS 2 and the loco should run.

I have this way not yet tried. (No need for me, because I got my CS 3 meanwhileBigGrin ). But this is the way Maerklin uses for the digital starter sets with MS 2 and locos, which have only the fx decoder inside. So it also should function for your friend as well.

Buying a CS is not a Ferrari, because you always need a CS for updating a MS 2 by yourself. Except you have a nice dealer or friend nearby with a CS. But the way via the locomotive card should work too. Unfortunately it is only for the loco and not for a total software update, which everybody needs sooner or later to get rid of the software bugs.

I think Maerklin's quality sometimes is better as we are thinking - they have good engineers! Only the Marketing is often more than tricky, not informative, not helpful and needs definitely improvements.

regards

TEEWolf
Offline baggio  
#26 Posted : 06 January 2017 04:35:36(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post
Yes, a loco has set an address by Maerklin before shipping. Please read always the attached manual for the loco first. Under the point "Functions" you always find a description of the pre settings and possibilities for this loco. Also the pre setted digital address of the loco is quoted there. Also it is mentioned, which functions are available for a use in the analogue modus.

Since I am a bit like Saint Thomas (who would not believe something unless he touched it with his hand), I dug up the booklets for two MfX locos that I have, the steam 36243 and the electric GTS 36619 and, sure enough, each one had a "function" heading and the address that was set at the factory. To my surprise, they BOTH had the same address: 24.

When I originally put these locos on my layout, neither had any problems in being recognized and being registered.

I then decided to check what address these locos have and to my surprise, once again, they BOTH STILL have the same address: 24. Confused

Now, with the same address, I would expect that there would be confusion on the layout - not so at all.

Which, once again, makes me think that there is something here that does not make sense. Sad

(Incidentally, I also checked the booklet for the entertainment car - 43868 and there are TWO addresses given: 78/79. When I checked the MS2, it had used the first address, 78.)

Anyway, thank you, Teewolf for taking the time to write such a long response, MUCH appreciated. BigGrin

To you and all users I wish a HAPPY BEFANA (today "la Befana" is celebrated in Italy and other European countries. It's a bit like Santa Claus - brings presents to good children and coal to the bad ones. I always got presents....)

auguri-befana.jpg
Offline baggio  
#27 Posted : 06 January 2017 05:11:02(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
I think Maerklin's quality sometimes is better as we are thinking - they have good engineers! Only the Marketing is often more than tricky, not informative and helpful.

Once again. Teewolf, thanks for the long post full, of helpful information. ThumpUp

My friend did send the loco to the dealer and he has reported that the loco works fine now. BigGrin

M needs to be more careful of its quality control - this includes making booklets easier to read and with more explanations.

Devoting a bit more attention to the English side of its marketing would help - not only users in English-speaking countries but also all the other users world-wide that commonly use English as a replacement for Esperanto.

The motto should be: the loco/wagon or whatever MUST come out of the box flawless and be able to be used IMMEDIATELY by unsophisticated users.

While I appreciate that it may not be possible 100% of the times, my own experience tells me that it rarely happens with locos.

I would have given up on M a long time ago were it not for Mike, the owner of the M store in Toronto, who regularly fixes M's blunders for me. Problem is, what happens if Mike retires? Scared Woot

Thanks again.

Silvano
Offline H0  
#28 Posted : 06 January 2017 06:50:31(UTC)
H0

By the way, at the moment it is the absolute advantage of Maerklin's mfx technology for locos that they are working bidirectional.
RailCom+ does the same as mfx, but faster and more reliable.
So the "absolute advantage" really is a "relative disadvantage" because mfx has a design flaw (confirmed by ESU - Märklin will probably never admit that) and mfx uses weak feedback signals that can easily be disturbed.

While RailCom+ is faster, the RailCom cut-outs can cause problems with some non-RailCom decoders.
So there is no system with only absolute advantages. But it is impressive to see RailCom+ at work at club meetings.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline RayF  
#29 Posted : 06 January 2017 13:28:47(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
There is so much misinformation on this thread that I despair of getting my message across.

Forget the Marklin Motorola address mentioned in the manual if you are using an MS2. It makes no difference whatsoever! It is not used by the loco or the MS2 because it will use mfx instead! No conflict is possible!

A new mfx loco will also work in mfx on a MS2 irrespective of whether the loco is in the database. mfx locos are not preloaded onto the MS2 database. There is no need as the controller will take its information from the decoder directly. There is no need to use loco cards for mfx locos!

Ray
H0
Offline baggio  
#30 Posted : 06 January 2017 13:52:13(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
There is so much misinformation on this thread that I despair of getting my message across.

Forget the Marklin Motorola address mentioned in the manual if you are using an MS2.It makes no difference whatsoever!It is not used by the loco or the MS2 because it will use mfx instead!No conflict is possible!

A new mfx loco will also work in mfx on a MS2 irrespective of whether the loco is in the database.mfx locos are not preloaded onto the MS2 database.There is no need as the controller will take its information from the decoder directly.There is no need to use loco cards for mfx locos!

Confused Confused Confused Blushing Blushing Blushing

It's at moments like this that I feel like giving up on digital and sticking to analogue. Sad

Offline H0  
#31 Posted : 06 January 2017 16:07:09(UTC)
H0

It's at moments like this that I feel like giving up on digital and sticking to analogue.
Some users on this forum write with technical authority, some users share wild guesses, speculations, and shades of knowledge.

The readers have to decide who they trust. Logorrhoe does not indicate technical knowledge.

Do not blindly trust advice given by dealers either.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline kiwiAlan  
#32 Posted : 06 January 2017 16:55:08(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

Why? Confused

For the reason he stated. There are reasons for updates - they often fix existing problems that only surface when an item has been in the field for a while.

For a period of time I was involved with repairing PCBs out of minicomputers. Any PCB we sent back to the factory had all the current updates applied to it before it went to the repair bench. Often this was enough to fix whatever problem existed with the board.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline kiwiAlan  
#33 Posted : 06 January 2017 17:06:47(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

Since I am a bit like Saint Thomas (who would not believe something unless he touched it with his hand), I dug up the booklets for two MfX locos that I have, the steam 36243 and the electric GTS 36619 and, sure enough, each one had a "function" heading and the address that was set at the factory. To my surprise, they BOTH had the same address: 24.

When I originally put these locos on my layout, neither had any problems in being recognized and being registered.

I then decided to check what address these locos have and to my surprise, once again, they BOTH STILL have the same address: 24. Confused

No that is the Motorola address that you would use with a 6020/6021 controller, an Intellibox or any other controller that understands Motorola format but does not understand mfx.

You should totally forget about addresses when the loco can use mfx and just work from the loco name.

Now, with the same address, I would expect that there would be confusion on the layout - not so at all.

Which, once again, makes me think that there is something here that does not make sense. Sad

This comes back to what I said earlier in this thread, mfx KNOWS which loco is which BY THE SERIAL NUMBER IN THE DECODER.
It will then identify them separately to you on the screen - STOP THINKING ABOUT ADDRESSES UNDER mfx. You only need to do this when running under Motorola format, which doesn't use mfx, or when you have an older loco that doesn't have a decoder that uses mfx. Even then you do not need to worry if the address you set the loco to clashes with the address in an mfx decoder.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline baggio  
#34 Posted : 06 January 2017 17:53:58(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
CLEAR as a bell, THANK YOU Alan. ThumpUp
Offline RayF  
#35 Posted : 06 January 2017 19:03:55(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   

Forget the Marklin Motorola address mentioned in the manual if you are using an MS2.It makes no difference whatsoever!It is not used by the loco or the MS2 because it will use mfx instead!No conflict is possible!

A new mfx loco will also work in mfx on a MS2 irrespective of whether the loco is in the database.mfx locos are not preloaded onto the MS2 database.There is no need as the controller will take its information from the decoder directly.There is no need to use loco cards for mfx locos!

It's at moments like this that I feel like giving up on digital and sticking to analogue. Sad

I'm sorry if I've confused you. I only post to try to help but here I feel that I'm swimming against a current of misunderstanding.

I'm glad Alan has managed to clear up the issue.
Ray
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline baggio  
#36 Posted : 06 January 2017 20:11:01(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
No, Ray, you did not confuse me.

What you did instead is made me realize that I was off the wall in thinking as I was with respect to mfx decoders.

THANKS! BigGrin

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by baggio
Offline clapcott  
#37 Posted : 06 January 2017 20:21:56(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   

Why? Confused

Best Practice ...
Good, comprehensive, service ...
Clearing the air ...
Wheat from Chaff ...
call it what you will

The actual decoder type has not been specified nor the actual version, and I am not going to guess.

However below is the ChangeLog for one decoder family range to provide an indication of what has been addressed over time, and I have highlighted the numerous items that mention mFX. Please keep in mind that ChangeLogs are rather terse and do not mention all of the (sometimes embarrassing) issues that have been addressed.

======= googly translate =======================================================================
Changelog

Version: 2.17.19.0 (April 23, 2014)
Buxfix: Problems of the CS1 when logging in and CV read out a MFX + decoder fixed.
Bugfix: Optimized by Bootloader and firmware in alternate memory.

Version: 2.15.19.0 (February 14, 2014)
ChgReq: Determine the load always, regardless of the fuel situation.
Bugfix: Simultaneous operation of the protocols MFX and DCC stabilized by improved bit reception.

Version: 2.14.19.0 (November 18, 2013)
ChgReq: Game world extended by a CV to distinguish different leading positions.
Bugfix: Improved lode determination. This is done even if not all tanks are filled.
Bugfix: The queries for release through the sound sequence (Wait) have been optimized.
Bugfix: For analogue sound in the LGB decoder the output of the transformer voltage stabilizes to the sound.

Version: 2.12.17.0 (April 22, 2013)
Bugfix: Consumption of fuels only with MFX +.
ChgReq: For the fuel, the mechanically lowerable coal rod.
ChgReq: Smaller improvements when receiving track signals, for MFX operation.
ChgReq: further development of engine control and merge single versions.
ChgReq: Dynamic reduction of the I-range of the motor control via the motor type.
ChgReq: current limiting of the motor control when the transformer is turned up quickly in analogue mode.
Bugfix: Programming the non MFX CVs from MFX from, for example, the Motorola address. Only active MFX CV's will be displayed.
ChgReq: For LGB the CV access is extended by register / paged-CV addressing. For older universal phones 55015.
ChgReq: From this firmware version for LGB the analog sound was introduced.
ChgReq: The communication with the märklin sound programmer 60801 stabilizes.

Version: 2.11.16.0 (January 29, 2013)
Bugfix: The saving of the game world data improved (Wear-Leveling).
Bugfix: The communication with the märklin Sound-Programmer 60801 stabilizes.
ChgReq: Minor improvements in protocol exchange, for MFX operation.

Version: 2.10.16.0 (December 17, 2012)
Corresponds to the delivery condition of the game world decoder in winter 2012/2013

Version: 1.9.15.0 (May 10, 2012)
ChgReq: From this firmware version the märklin Sound-Programmer 60801 is supported.
Bugfix: Limitation of the Min / Max calculation in the uncontrolled analog mode at high voltage as with LGB transformers.
ChgReq: Minor improvements in the internal firmware, for a more stable operation.
Bugfix: The sound outputs (SUSI) in the function mapping also available with a mLD.
ChgReq: entry 'Firmware Info' revised, with firmware type and FDS version.

Version: 1.8.14.0 (October 10, 2011)
Corresponds to the delivery status of the retrofit decoders in autumn 2011
Peter
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by clapcott
baggioRayFH0
Offline TEEWolf  
#38 Posted : 07 January 2017 18:21:01(UTC)
TEEWolf

Forget the Marklin Motorola address mentioned in the manual if you are using an MS2. It makes no difference whatsoever! It is not used by the loco or the MS2 because it will use mfx instead! No conflict is possible!

A new mfx loco will also work in mfx on a MS2 irrespective of whether the loco is in the database. mfx locos are not preloaded onto the MS2 database. There is no need as the controller will take its information from the decoder directly. There is no need to use loco cards for mfx locos!

Ray,
please read only page 21 English version of the manual for the MS 2 60653. Although there are much more other places you find described, that even a MS 2 in slave modus has a loco database. The storage space at the MS 2 is limited up to 40 locos (see page 5 manual). And what else is a storage space? A basement for data! Short: a database.

"It is possible with the “Slave” Mobile Station to enter locomotives from the database or
to enter them manually. If these locomotives are to be available on the “Master” Mobile
Station, then they must also be entered there. It is not possible to assume control of locomotives
from the “Slave” to the “Master”". - Quote from the MS 2 manual.

Why the hell do I have to enter locos from the database (or manually), if there is no database and the information shall come from the decoder? Is Maerklin stupid enough to write these words in his manual without any reason?

Of course there is no need to use the loco cards, except you have a fx-decoder. But the question and my answer was not generally. It was limited to the question and a proposal. Instead sending the loco to the dealer for programming. On page 6 of the manual you find the description how to set up a new loco via a loco card.

There you are able to understand some German as well, you find more descriptions on page 7 f of the manual. And on page 8 is a warning, that it is only functioning, if you did not alter the original set up digital address by Maerklin ("!Dies funktioniert nur, wenn die werkseitige Adresse der Lokomotive nicht verändert wurde."). So there is a need to know the original set up digital address by Maerklin.

I am asking myself, who is giving here misinformation.

And of course, if the loco is enrolling itself via the mfx signal, it automatically sets up various digital addresses, which are excluding any internal conflict. And this includes that they never set up one address twice. But this is one of the major advantages of mfx. You must not be a programmer to use the digital system! But also you do not have to know the actual used internal digital address while your loco is running on your layout.

regards
TEEWolf

Edited by user 08 January 2017 01:01:27(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline H0  
#39 Posted : 07 January 2017 18:32:30(UTC)
H0

I am asking myself, who is giving here misinformation.
I'm with Ray. Lots of misleading information coming from you.
How does this relate to mfx?
The MS2 loco list is limited to 40 locos.
The MS2 database contains the digital locos Märklin made, but without any mfx locos.
It seems you are trying to establish a different terminology. The loco list is a "database", but the term "database" does not refer to the loco list when we talk about MS2s.
The MS2 manual contains a lot information about MM addresses - not related to mfx or the issue discussed here.

It is possible to create loco cards for mfx locos. Such a loco card may or may not have solved the issue discussed here.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline TEEWolf  
#40 Posted : 07 January 2017 23:30:52(UTC)
TEEWolf

Hi baggio,

no, please never confuses. There is absolutely no need to give up the digital MRR. It is fun and of­fers you so many choices and chances, you never get in a analogue system. And Maerklin helps everybody. Even people, who do not have a Master in Engineering or Computers.

The main problem is only, that in some communities some people, who do neither read the askers ques­tions nor do answer them, but they know everything. Then they lead you down into the deep valley of computer techniques, which has actually nothing to do with the original questions. Neverthe­less, I have the impression that also some people are not really reading carefully the questioner matters.

But always I am very delighted, when somebody sets up allegations without any substantiations and/or convincing evidences. Isn't this always very charming? Crying

I agree completely with your statements.
Quote:
“The motto should be: the loco/wagon or whatever MUST come out of the box flawless and be able to be used IMMEDIATELY by unsophisticated users.”

My impression for Maerklin is, the engineers develop their articles in this direction very well. But your statement
Quote:
“M needs to be more careful of its quality control - this includes making booklets easier to read and with more explanations. Devoting a bit more attention to the English side of its marketing would help - not only users in English-speaking countries but also all the other users world-wide that commonly use English as a replacement for Esperanto.”
is correct in my opinion.

I think exactly the same. M has a tremendous lack in its marketing, but not in its engineering. As a business man I do not understand, why M is unable to translate all its German publications into other languages, because they already provide the desired information. Ok, generally translations were expensive – 35 years ago, when I started into my business life in 1982. But today you get it via Google for free.

You know, it was the time right between the appearance of the first IBM PC at all and the IBM PC XT. 1983 my brother bought an IBM PC XT for 20.000 DM! In the same year I bought a VW GOLF I GTI, also for 20.000 DM. And today?

The listed price by VW in Germany for VW Golf GTI starts 2017 at 29.625 Euro (!!!). But for a computer you only have to pay round about 1.000 Euro in Germany. (yeah, of course it depends on the technical equipment inside, but for a reasonable gaming computer this is a achievable price.)

Quote:
“Problem is, what happens if Mike retires?“

Ohlala, a very good question. I got this experience last year, when the toy shop, selling Maerklin in my home town, closed forever. Ok, the next dealer is about 20 km away. But I do not like him. I was there to get some spare parts and information. He neither ordered the spare parts for me nor could he give me advice. Finally I got both through the internet. BigGrin Laugh – further questions?

Also the translation technology by computers will be much more developed as today. You will (and can) translate all Maerklin publications in German by yourself, if perhaps M has not yet done be­fore. As mentioned in other threads already, Maerklin is publishing plenty of information. But un­fortunately it is not good structured and often not translated into other languages.

A very typical example for me is M's book “Einstieg in Märklin Digital”, subtitle: “Die Mehrzugsteuerung”, M-art. # 03081. Get a look here:
http://www.maerklin.de/e...s/details/article/03081/

The tragic is, that on the backside of the cover M wrote: “Märklin Digital: Ihr Guide zum Thema digitale Steuerung” (translated: “Maerklin Digital: your guide on the subject of digital controls”). Maerklin is correct. I learned and still learning from this book of M's digital system. But why do they not publish it in English? Absolutely not understandable and I do not have an answer.

Well, today M is owned by a private business man, Mr. Sieber sen. His son, Sieber jr., is still too young to run a company like Maerklin, although he is already playing the general manager – but this is another story. Important is the senior. He controls the capital and built up already his own com­pany, the Simba-Dicky-Group. A German Ltd. and toy factory and dealer. This group does annually sales of about 600 to 700 Mio €.

As the main capital owner of Maerklin too (his son is the other one), he knows the wishes of cus­tomers. And as it was told to me, he himself should be seen very often in the Maerklin plants and buildings. It is only a matter of time, that there comes up significant changes in the M policy. But he has time. Although M has declining sales, they do have a profit rate by about 4% of sales, as the last published figures shows. Amazing.
Offline baggio  
#41 Posted : 08 January 2017 05:31:07(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
THANK YOU, HO, Teewolf, Ray, Alan, Clapcott and all others for your very helpful feedback. BigGrin

If something that was said was not 100% accurate, so be it. The important thing is that we try to help each other as best we can. ThumpUp

What I will do is start another thread on the "bottom line" of all this in a simple form.

I will set out what I understand to be the reality or "rules of thumb" in dealing with M decoders and controllers so that we all have at least a good start in resolving these problems with as little inconvenience and expense as possible.

If what I set out is wrong, and it may very well be, then I am sure you will correct me and we will come up with a better understanding of what we are dealing with when it comes to Fx and MFX decoders and M digital controllers.

Thank you to all who will take the trouble to reply to my next thread. BigGrin

Silvano
Offline Minok  
#42 Posted : 09 January 2017 21:26:18(UTC)
Minok

United States   

As a business man I do not understand, why M is unable to translate all its German publications into other languages, because they already provide the desired information. Ok, generally translations were expensive – 35 years ago, when I started into my business life in 1982. But today you get it via Google for free.

No, that is not quite right. You do get a translation via Google, for free. But you don't necessarily get a good and correct translation via Google. That still requires a human with domain expertise and some solid knowledge in the languages in question. Just reading your posts, I can understand what you mean to communicate, but I feel pretty confident that someone who is only an English speaker (single language) would often draw incorrect conclusions of what you a writing. Because they don't understand the grammar and words used in both languages. I can spot text you write where I can see "ah, this was said in a German way and translated somewhat literally". Those are cases where the English version would never bee expressed that way.

This is all even more so critical and difficult in technical writing, where the precise term used can make a substantial difference due to what it can imply.

Going back to Baggio's response with the data requested they indicated:
"Protocol: Marklin;"

So what is that exactly? Is it mfx? Is it Märklin Motorola?

From following the rest of the thread it appears it is mfx, but "Marklin" is not one of the actual protocol choices in the world, its a brand name. This is why the correct usage of terms is critical in translating and why its easy to get lost down the wrong rabbit hole when inaccurate terms are used.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Minok
Offline H0  
#43 Posted : 10 January 2017 07:59:53(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post
That still requires a human with domain expertise and some solid knowledge in the languages in question.
Several Märklin translations show that they hired humans without domain expertise for the translations.
And many German texts show they do not even use a spellchecker. It seems a spellchecker was used for the English versions of the new items brochure, but not for the CS2 UI.

As an example, look at the screen shot in post #3 ...

Translations are still expensive, translations are still time consuming. English versions come later - if they come.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline RayF  
#44 Posted : 10 January 2017 13:09:25(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Product documentation in general seems to be something of a dying art.

I recently bought a new Smart TV which came with a small pamphlet showing how to put the legs on and nothing else. Most items refer you to an online manual, which seems to be the easy way out, but some products don't even have this.

It seems to be assumed that buyers instinctively know how to work their new gadgets nowadays. Certainly teenagers don't seem to bother with instructions any more, they just switch on and play...
Ray
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Minok  
#45 Posted : 11 January 2017 00:26:47(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
That still requires a human with domain expertise and some solid knowledge in the languages in question.
Several Märklin translations show that they hired humans without domain expertise for the translations.
And many German texts show they do not even use a spellchecker. It seems a spellchecker was used for the English versions of the new items brochure, but not for the CS2 UI.

As an example, look at the screen shot in post #3 ...

Translations are still expensive, translations are still time consuming. English versions come later - if they come.

Agreed completely.

In todays global services pool world, translation services is a purchased service. You want something translated from Language X to Language Y, contract it out. Somewhere a person does it, but likely without domain or even deep language knowledge for X and Y. I could certainly imagine an InfoSys worker in India doing the German to English translation. Thats not to say InfoSys, or whomever does it in reality, could not do a good job, just that the cost for a good job would likely be more than a company and customers are willing to pay.

Often times spelling snafus or grammar snafus happen because of spell checkers, or certainly when autocorrect is active and one doesn't validate the suggestion before accepting it. The word put in may be spelled correctly but isn't the word that the writer wanted, or not the word that should have been used. Ask most people that receive an iPhone text message about such things.. the inability to feel the correct key and my desire not to take 10 minutes to compose a text carefully one letter at a time results in some fun stuff - due to autocomplete.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline baggio  
#46 Posted : 11 January 2017 05:00:48(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
just that the cost for a good job would likely be more than a company and customers are willing to pay.

My experience with retaining the services of a professional translator through a company is that for a few hundred dollars you get plenty of text translated.

If you consider that such a translation will then be used for hundreds of locos/wagons, the overall cost does not seem to me all that important. This is particularly true if M used one company to do all its transaltions or better still hire a person to do that.

In this respect, given the use of English as a modern-day Esperanto, M's failure to do so seems odd.
Offline dickinsonj  
#47 Posted : 12 February 2017 00:58:58(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
So I now also have a 26922 Orient Express set with the loco dead right out of the box.

I don't think address collisions are the cause but I don't know specifically what is. I suspect a defective decoder or an improperly configured decoder. Either way I am a long way from the dealer and getting it resolved probably won't be pretty.

It partially registered on the first attempt and was assigned the correct name. But none of the functions mapped nor could my CS2 control the loco. I opened the "wrench screen" from the loco entry that it made, but all attempts to communicate with the decoder failed, producing only a message that said communication with the decoder was unsuccessful.

I removed that partial entry from the list and tried again on a programming track. It made repeated read attempts but they all quit before completing and after some number of tries my CS2 displayed the same unsuccessful communication popup.

So I removed it again and tried the find mfx loco option from the manual setup option. I did not find any unregistered mfx locos and now it does not even attempt to register it.

I have read about registration issues with mfx many times but no clear cause ever seemed to emerge. I assumed that if initial registration failed I could just redo it but now I don't know how to make that happen.

If anyone has any ideas for what I might try next I would love to hear them.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
Offline baggio  
#48 Posted : 12 February 2017 06:48:46(UTC)
baggio

Canada   

Hi, Jim:

Take a look at my post no. 16 - it may help you. I quoted a bit of it.

Do you have an MS2 or do you know anyone /store that you can use to register the loco again separately?

While your problem may not be identical to the problem the Italian chap had, I think it comes down to the same thing: faulty MFX registration and the cure may still be changing the initial address.

It's worth a try.

If this does not work, try calling Mike at Westend Trains in Toronto at 416.251.6124 and explain the problem. Mike may be able to tell you what you can do to have the matter resolved faster than sending the loco back to Germany. Mike's e-mail is: westendtrains1@bellnet.ca Offer to pay a fee for the advice and assistance.

Let us know how this works out.
Offline H0  
#49 Posted : 12 February 2017 08:56:23(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post
If anyone has any ideas for what I might try next I would love to hear them.
Is the CS2 up to date?
Are there any "black boxes" between CS2 and track? If so, try again without them. (Don't let the FCC know about it ...)
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline dickinsonj  
#50 Posted : 12 February 2017 14:48:04(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
[
Hi, Jim:

Take a look at my post no. 16 - it may help you.

Hi Silvano,

I read that post and found it interesting but I have no other devices on which I can register that loco and I know only one other Märklin user anywhere nearby. I was under the impression that you could not change the internal address and that was how the mfx system kept track of each decoder, regardless of the virtual address each CS uses internally. It does seem that my CS2 has some reference to that chip now though because it does not find any unregistered decoders when I search.

I bought this from Euro Rail Hobbies in BC and I emailed Walter but I have not heard anything back yet. They have become virtually unreachable by email since their move, although occasionally I do get someone to answer the phone. I hope to talk to him next week and discuss options with the hope of not returning it to Germany and paying shipping charges.

I will post something if/when this is resolved. My last two Märklin purchases have been delivered with significant defects and I am starting to question investing more money into their products at this time.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.