Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline dickinsonj  
#51 Posted : 12 February 2017 14:57:05(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post
If anyone has any ideas for what I might try next I would love to hear them.
Is the CS2 up to date?
Are there any "black boxes" between CS2 and track? If so, try again without them. (Don't let the FCC know about it ...)

Hi Tom,

I was hoping that you might have some suggestions.

Yes, the CS2 is up to date - I updated it just the day before I attempted to register this loco. Before I updated it I did a backup which captured the CS2 state before it ever saw the 26922 loco. I might restore to that point and try again and see what happens. I assume that without whatever reference the CS2 stored it might start the registration process over again.

I do have that black box between my CS2 and the layout and programming track. I had not thought about that but now that you mention it someone (maybe you) said that they could interfere with communications between a decoder and the CS2. I will remove that before I restore back and try again and if the FCC asks I will deny all knowledge. :-)

Thanks for the ideas.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
Offline baggio  
#52 Posted : 12 February 2017 15:47:01(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
I bought this from Euro Rail Hobbies in BC and I emailed Walter but I have not heard anything back yet. They have become virtually unreachable by email since their move, although occasionally I do get someone to answer the phone. I hope to talk to him next week and discuss options with the hope of not returning it to Germany and paying shipping charges.

Hi, Jim:

I think Euro Rail encourages people to call rather than e-mail (perhaps owing to the volume of e-mails they get). So, do not give up on them just yet.

Let us know what comes of HO's suggestion.

As a last resort, you may want to buy and MS2 from Walthers via a US train shop that sells DC/DCC trains. You can then use it as a slave.

ALL US DC train dealers can order it from you from Walthers along with any other Marklin products, even the ones on sale and may give you the sale prices if applicable. Unfortunately, it's on backorder at Walthers: Walthers

You should be able to have to buy only the MS2 and use the power pack that came with your CS. I am not positive, however.

I think the CS power pack has a higher power output than the MS2's, so I am not sure if that would work safely. Someone else on this forum should be able to assist you on this point.

Ciao.
Offline dickinsonj  
#53 Posted : 12 February 2017 16:13:43(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: baggio Go to Quoted Post

I think Euro Rail encourages people to call rather than e-mail (perhaps owing to the volume of e-mails they get). So, do not give up on them just yet.

No, I have not given up on them yet and I will try to call Walter next week. I have talked to him by phone in the past and maybe he will have some useful suggestions.

Let us know what comes of HO's suggestion.

I plan to try registration again without the black box in place as Tom suggested. If that fails I will restore back to the CS2 save before my first try to register this loco and then attempt another registration. If that also fails I am out of ideas again unless I can find someone locally with an MS/CS.

As a last resort, you may want to buy an MS2

That might work, but I really don't want to buy an MS2 since I use my tablet as my portable slave and I have no nasty wire to contend with. The display is better, it presents a nicer interface and it responds much more quickly than the CS2.

At this moment spending any more money on Märklin products is not very high on my priority list anyway. In fact I wish that I had not pre-ordered the Insider 103 last week from AJCKids. But they get back to me by email almost immediately and are winning the customer service competition hands down!

Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline dickinsonj  
#54 Posted : 12 February 2017 17:37:27(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Here is an update.

I can get an incomplete entry in my CS2 with the name but not the mapping to each function as expected. When I try to read from the loco I get an Information popup which states that "The transfer of the settings was not successful". This sitting on a programming track without my CS2 or boosters connected to the layout in anyway.

Doing this on the programming track without the black box seems to have worked somewhat better however, since I can now control the locomotive and I can set the icons for the functions manually. There is definitely something wrong however because I can't read or write to this loco and hence it can't really be functioning as an mfx+ decoder with the CS.
Regards,
Jim

Offline TEEWolf  
#55 Posted : 12 February 2017 17:58:36(UTC)
TEEWolf

Here is an update.

I can get an incomplete entry in my CS2 with the name but not the mapping to each function as expected. When I try to read from the loco I get an Information popup which states that "The transfer of the settings was not successful". This sitting on a programming track without my CS2 or boosters connected to the layout in anyway.

Doing this on the programming track without the black box seems to have worked somewhat better however, since I can now control the locomotive and I can set the icons for the functions manually. There is definitely something wrong however because I can't read or write to this loco and hence it can't really be functioning as an mfx+ decoder with the CS.

Jim,
what do you mean "without the black box"? What is this black box? Which function shall it have?
regards
TEEWolf
Offline dickinsonj  
#56 Posted : 12 February 2017 17:59:46(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Another status update and finally some better news!

Yesterday when I had the partial loco instance for that Baden IV h on my CS2 I tried several ways to interact with it. But I could not read from it or write to if from my CS2 using the CV mod screen. I would only get a message saying that the decoder did not respond. I also tried to use the update and reset functions from the CV modification screen with the same result.

But today when I did a chip reset from that same screen it worked and that initiated a new read from the loco which completed successfully (while I held my breath). I suspect that having it on my programming track without the 191724 suppression box might be why it worked today and not yesterday, but of course I will never really know for sure.

But thanks to Silvano's useful information and Tom's suggestion I now have a fully functional mfx loco. I also do not think that anything I experienced was related in any way to mfx addresses, which are a non issue if it is all working properly. That dealer's answer sounds like a nice easy answer from someone who may not have know exactly what was going on either. BigGrin

Once again the forum saves my MRR bacon! Thanks for all of the great input. I now know more about mfx and how it can work and not work than I did just one day ago. Cool
Regards,
Jim

Offline sjlauritsen  
#57 Posted : 12 February 2017 18:03:43(UTC)
sjlauritsen

Denmark   
Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post
what do you mean "without the black box"? What is this black box? Which function shall it have?

I think Jim means the black box that sits between the track and the CS2. It was not with the earlier CS2's but added later and has a noise reducing function.
Søren from Denmark
Blog: https://railway.zone/ | Danish Model Railway Forum: https://baneforum.dk/
Offline dickinsonj  
#58 Posted : 12 February 2017 18:06:45(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   

TEEWolf

Wolfgang,

United States FCC radio spectrum interference standards differ from those used in most of the rest of the world - why am I not surprised?

So Marklin supplies a 191724 noise suppression box with central stations sold in North America to be in regulatory compliance with the FCC. Usually it does not seem to be a problem but I have read in other threads about communication issues when they are used. All of my other mfx locos were registered with it in place but something was obviously different about this loco.

Regards,
Jim

Offline H0  
#59 Posted : 12 February 2017 19:07:59(UTC)
H0

So Marklin supplies a 191724 noise suppression box [...]
It seems 191724 is the box needed for EU compliance. 74044 is the box for FCC compliance that came a bit earlier - and maybe it is more rigid in suppressing mfx signals.

Older CS2 that were sold without any of those boxes can still be used without them.

Good to hear your loco works without sending it back. ThumpUp
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline baggio  
#60 Posted : 12 February 2017 20:31:54(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
It seems 191724 is the box needed for EU compliance. 74044 is the box for FCC compliance that came a bit earlier - and maybe it is more rigid in suppressing mfx signals.

I am a little confused as to which black box you have, Jim. Is it the 191724 that Tom says is for EU compliance or the 74044 for FCC compliance?

I would like to know as a tip for others in Europe (read: Italy).

As for my being of any help, not really, but thanks anyway. BigGrin

Obviously, it was Tom who figured out the problem, not me. ThumpUp
Offline dickinsonj  
#61 Posted : 12 February 2017 21:49:12(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   

I am a little confused as to which black box you have, Jim. Is it the 191724 that Tom says is for EU compliance or the 74044 for FCC compliance?

I bought my CS2 here in North America in December of 2015. It came with the 191724 box that Tom suggests is for EU compliance and he is seldom wrong on that kind of detail. So I have no idea why I received a 191724 instead of the 74044, but please don't mention that to the FCC!

Regards,
Jim

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline H0  
#62 Posted : 12 February 2017 23:11:03(UTC)
H0

So I have no idea why I received a 191724 instead of the 74044, but please don't mention that to the FCC!
Märklin Germany write that you need 74044 in the USA. Märklin USA write that you should not use 74044 for digital operation.
So everything's clear as mud.
Consult an FCC-approved lawyer for further information. Or let sleeping dogs lie and put the black box on the shelf. Cool

The 26922 manual on the Märklin site has the standard disclaimer:
"Due to different legal requirements regarding electro-magnetic compatibility,
this item may be used in the USA only after separate certification for FCC compliance
and an adjustment if necessary.
Use in the USA without this certification is not permitted and absolves us of any
liability. If you should want such certification to be done, please contact us –
also due to the additional costs incurred for this."

That disclaimer is very comforting (for Märklin).

Change your user name so the FCC cannot trace your forum posts back to you. LOL
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline TEEWolf  
#63 Posted : 12 February 2017 23:30:28(UTC)
TEEWolf

TEEWolf

Wolfgang,

United States FCC radio spectrum interference standards differ from those used in most of the rest of the world - why am I not surprised?

So Marklin supplies a 191724 noise suppression box with central stations sold in North America to be in regulatory compliance with the FCC. Usually it does not seem to be a problem but I have read in other threads about communication issues when they are used. All of my other mfx locos were registered with it in place but something was obviously different about this loco.

Thanks Jim,

yes, I read about this interference suppression set (iss). But I thought it is for analogue systems applicable only? Confused So I never took any more attention to this iss (black box). BigGrin

regards

Wolfgang
Offline dickinsonj  
#64 Posted : 13 February 2017 00:40:43(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Or let sleeping dogs lie and put the black box on the shelf. Cool

I think that is exactly what I will do! BigGrin

The 26922 manual on the Märklin site has the standard disclaimer:
"Due to different legal requirements regarding electro-magnetic compatibility,
this item may be used in the USA only after separate certification for FCC compliance
and an adjustment if necessary.

Amazing! I have actually never bothered to read that before. What a nice idea for them, to let me pay them to complete the engineering of their model for US sale.

Now that I think about it don't really live in the US anymore and I never read that disclaimer in the first place. LOL

So I think I am all set.

Regards,
Jim

H0
Offline dickinsonj  
#65 Posted : 13 February 2017 00:51:17(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
But I thought it is for analogue systems applicable only? Confused So I never took any more attention to this iss (black box). BigGrin

It was supplied with the CS2 for use in digital operation, although as Tom points out they both say that you have to use it and that you should not use it with digital. I hardly see how I could output analog from a CS2 so they are clearly confused somewhere. If I remember correctly, the info in the package with that device said that it should be used with all digital control systems when operated in the US. Using it never caused me any trouble until this registration and it is easy enough to register things without going through the device. I have also never observed any radio frequency interference when using the CS2 without it.

How complex we humans make our world!
Regards,
Jim

Offline mrmarklin  
#66 Posted : 13 February 2017 04:58:20(UTC)
mrmarklin

United States   
So I now also have a 26922 Orient Express set with the loco dead right out of the box.

I don't think address collisions are the cause but I don't know specifically what is. I suspect a defective decoder or an improperly configured decoder. Either way I am a long way from the dealer and getting it resolved probably won't be pretty.

It partially registered on the first attempt and was assigned the correct name. But none of the functions mapped nor could my CS2 control the loco. I opened the "wrench screen" from the loco entry that it made, but all attempts to communicate with the decoder failed, producing only a message that said communication with the decoder was unsuccessful.

I removed that partial entry from the list and tried again on a programming track. It made repeated read attempts but they all quit before completing and after some number of tries my CS2 displayed the same unsuccessful communication popup.

So I removed it again and tried the find mfx loco option from the manual setup option. I did not find any unregistered mfx locos and now it does not even attempt to register it.

I have read about registration issues with mfx many times but no clear cause ever seemed to emerge. I assumed that if initial registration failed I could just redo it but now I don't know how to make that happen.

If anyone has any ideas for what I might try next I would love to hear them.

I had this problem until I reconfigured my layout. Likely your Lok is OK.

I have pictures of around 100+ MFX Loks in my CS2. While I have a small layout, there can be 12 or more Loks on the layout at any given time. All this is overwhelming to your CS2.

I solved all my registration problems by isolating the programming track from the layout and using boosters to run all aspects of the layout except the programming track. This track is controlled directly by the CS2. The CS2 has no other functions other than to control the programming track. Of course, there are boosters connected to it to operate the rest of the layout.
All the boosters are on a separate power strip of power to the CS2. It is plugged into a different power source. When I get a new Lok, I only turn on the CS2 which powers the programming track. The rest of the layout is shut off! Using this method, the CS2 is only reading the programming track. It literally has nothing else to do. I've never had a miss in registration since I've used this method. The find function only has one place to look, and it always find the one and only Lok!

After a little testing, I turn the rest of the layout on and drive right onto the main line.BigGrin
From the People's Republik of Kalifornia
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mrmarklin
Offline MaerklinLife  
#67 Posted : 13 February 2017 05:08:19(UTC)
MaerklinLife

because mfx has a design flaw (confirmed by ESU - Märklin will probably never admit that) and mfx uses weak feedback signals that can easily be disturbed.

While RailCom+ is faster, the RailCom cut-outs can cause problems with some non-RailCom decoders.
So there is no system with only absolute advantages. But it is impressive to see RailCom+ at work at club meetings.

I have seen this mentioned a couple of times. Can you elaborate on the details of the design flaw?

And with regards to the RailCom cut outs, I assume that this issue really is a non issue because if you make true use of RailCom you would want all your locos to have it.

Offline dickinsonj  
#68 Posted : 13 February 2017 13:53:39(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: mrmarklin Go to Quoted Post

Hey Dave,

Thanks for the input. That locomotive is now registered and working perfectly. I use my CS2 to control a portion of my layout and use boosters on the rest. When I got it to register correctly with the CS2 it was on the programming track without the noise suppressor and with the connection to the layout temporarily unplugged. I'm not sure which part of that made it work that time, where it had failed multiple times before.

Totally off topic but next I have to sort out the extreme light flickering in some of the Orient Express coaches. The baggage cars at both ends are rock solid and so is one of the sleeping cars, but the other four coaches are flashing enough to make it look like a whole train of those disco entertainment cars! I suspect a ground path error in the cars since even when they are off they still pass current forward. This is my second Märklin passenger car set in a row that did not light properly right out of the box. Huh
Regards,
Jim

Offline kiwiAlan  
#69 Posted : 13 February 2017 14:32:28(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: mrmarklin Go to Quoted Post

Hey Dave,

Thanks for the input. That locomotive is now registered and working perfectly. I use my CS2 to control a portion of my layout and use boosters on the rest. When I got it to register correctly with the CS2 it was on the programming track without the noise suppressor and with the connection to the layout temporarily unplugged. I'm not sure which part of that made it work that time, where it had failed multiple times before.

Totally off topic but next I have to sort out the extreme light flickering in some of the Orient Express coaches. The baggage cars at both ends are rock solid and so is one of the sleeping cars, but the other four coaches are flashing enough to make it look like a whole train of those disco entertainment cars! I suspect a ground path error in the cars since even when they are off they still pass current forward. This is my second Märklin passenger car set in a row that did not light properly right out of the box. Huh

The problem with those cars is that by design, only the wheels on one bogie can be used for the grounding. This is related to the way the car was originally designed for two rail operation as they were a Trix design.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline dickinsonj  
#70 Posted : 13 February 2017 14:49:40(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

The problem with those cars is that by design, only the wheels on one bogie can be used for the grounding. This is related to the way the car was originally designed for two rail operation as they were a Trix design.

True, but I have other sets with the same grounding arrangement that work just fine. Even three of the coaches in this set are totally flicker free. I will start out by cleaning the axle wipers, axles and wheels. I will also check the tension that the wipers exert on the axles. If three coaches work adequately then I assume I can make the other four work as well, although needing to fix new lighted Märklin coaches is getting a little old!

Regards,
Jim

Offline kiwiAlan  
#71 Posted : 13 February 2017 15:02:50(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

True, but I have other sets with the same grounding arrangement that work just fine. Even three of the coaches in this set are totally flicker free. I will start out by cleaning the axle wipers, axles and wheels. I will also check the tension that the wipers exert on the axles. If three coaches work adequately then I assume I can make the other four work as well, although needing to fix new lighted Märklin coaches is getting a little old!

Check the wheels to see if a DC set of wheels have been fitted. That would make the grounding worse as then there is only grounding on one side. It could possibly be improved by swapping one axle end for end so the wheel doing the grounding is on the opposite side for that axle. Easy change to do to test.
Offline dickinsonj  
#72 Posted : 13 February 2017 15:24:47(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   

Check the wheels to see if a DC set of wheels have been fitted. That would make the grounding worse as then there is only grounding on one side. It could possibly be improved by swapping one axle end for end so the wheel doing the grounding is on the opposite side for that axle. Easy change to do to test.

Those are good suggestions - thanks. I will check that out when I work on them later today or tomorrow.

Is there an easy way to tell if the wheel sets are DC?

Regards,
Jim

Offline kiwiAlan  
#73 Posted : 13 February 2017 18:20:34(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

Those are good suggestions - thanks. I will check that out when I work on them later today or tomorrow.

Is there an easy way to tell if the wheel sets are DC?

Use an ohm meter to check the resistance between the two wheels on the same axle. If it is very low then it is not a 2 rail wheel set, but three rail.

Offline dickinsonj  
#74 Posted : 13 February 2017 21:10:19(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
I checked those wheel sets with my multimeter and they are three-rail wheel with full continuity between wheels. I have started another thread to see if I can get any ideas about fixing this. https://www.marklin-user...hting-Problem#post540030
Regards,
Jim

Offline H0  
#75 Posted : 15 February 2017 08:36:05(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: MaerklinLife Go to Quoted Post
because mfx has a design flaw (confirmed by ESU - Märklin will probably never admit that) and mfx uses weak feedback signals that can easily be disturbed. [...]

I have seen this mentioned a couple of times. Can you elaborate on the details of the design flaw?
The idea behind the Central Station is easy: you put the loco on the track, the CS reads all CVs from the loco and this takes a minute or two.
If you later want to change any CV, the dialogue opens without any delay as the CS already has a copy of all CVs.

Now run the loco on a different layout. When the loco comes back, there is no way for the CS to know that nothing has changed - and all CVs will be read again.
Delete a loco from the database - and all locos that are not on the layout at that time will be read again the next time they get contact to the CS.

The CS2 uses a different approach: to drive a loco, only the basic CVs are read and the delay is much shorter. The delay comes when you want to change CVs. Every time you want to change CVs.
You can make a test-run while still in the CV screen - and you should do that to avoid the repeated delay if you later have to make more changes.

So with both CS1 and CS2 I have to follow strange rules to avoid unnecessary delays imposed by the wonderful mfx protocol that is supposed to make things easier and save time - I consider mfx a waste of time.

A simple change counter that is triggered with every CV write would allow CS1 and CS2 to keep their local copies of the CVs in sync without reading them again and again and again ...

DCC is stupid. DCC just reads the CVs that are going to be changed. Simple, fast, efficient.

Several times I told the story of the failing mfx registration at a club meeting. After some investigation we found that a Märklin coach set with interior lights disabled mfx registration for all locos. When we put a new mfx loco onto the layout, I just put a piece of paper under the centre-rail slider of the lighted coach set. After the registration, the paper could be removed again.
Simple solution - but it takes minutes of trial and error before you come up with that simple solution.
A Märklin coach set prevents Märklin locos from registering with a Märklin controller. Great system.

Originally Posted by: MaerklinLife Go to Quoted Post
And with regards to the RailCom cut outs, I assume that this issue really is a non issue because if you make true use of RailCom you would want all your locos to have it.
You can use some locos with RailCom for automatic operation while running locos without RailCom manually. Or use RailCom for programming on main for locos that support it. Or use RailCom+ for automatic registration of newer locos while older locos are registered manually.
Are all your locos mfx? To take full advantage of mfx this should be the case ...
I have dozens of locos with DIP-switch decoders and I intend to keep them as they are - no mfx, no RailCom.
It's different if you want to take advantage of new decoder features on your layout - ABC braking or absolute braking distance come to mind. But even with that scenario you can have automatic operation with newer locos (maybe on the mainline only) and manual operation with older locos (maybe on the branchline only).
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline clapcott  
#76 Posted : 15 February 2017 20:14:40(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   

So with both CS1 and CS2 I have to follow strange rules to avoid unnecessary delays imposed by the wonderful mfx protocol that is supposed to make things easier and save time - I consider mfx a waste of time.

I am not sure I would point the finger at the "mfx protocol" for imposing the "unnecessary delay"

Any mfx CV may be read from and written to individually and selectively (e.g. with a CS2 and a PC)
The manner in which any controller offers to manage this , is due to a policy decision affecting a higher level of design (for the UI).

For Function icon changes, the CS3 only writes the data for the affected icon
(The fact that the process is buggy an baddly implemented is a separate , outstanding, issue)

I see it as mater of confidence that , when entering the mfx configuration screen for the first time, a reread is done - even if there is to be a change of only one CV.
Here, too, the CS3 is heading in the direction indicated - by only reading the CVs once (per registered session) .

The technical aspect of actual data transmission on the track is a separate , all be it integral , issue.

Disclaimer: I am , absolutely, not suggesting that anyone should buy a CS3. I am only pointing out what is possible and that hints of it have been seen.
Peter
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by clapcott