Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline glight1  
#1 Posted : 12 November 2016 17:30:07(UTC)
glight1

United States   
I find the Marklin 26922 Orient Express set very desirable. However, the price doesn't fit my budget.

My plan B is to use my Baden IV and couple it with the Trix 24793 Orient express coach set.
I think this would be fairly prototypical and save some money.

I'm wondering how to wire the coaches lights. I assume that I would need to fit a slider to each coach. How would I wire that?

Or, just run them without lights. After all they would just flicker like the others.

Thanks in advance,

Gary
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 12 November 2016 22:03:26(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
The trix coaches are not for the faint hearted to convert the lighting to run on Marklin track. This is because the lighting system is designed for two rail use, and the Marklin versions have some significant modifications to use conductive couplings to get lighting power.

The other problem i have observed with my Marklin coaches is that it seems that the Marklin coaches are supplied with two rail wheels (yet to be confirmed) and so the grounding for the lighting is only through two wheels.

It is difficult to use the second set of bogie wheels to provide the grounding as the phosphor bronze spring that connects to the axles needs to be insulated from the bogie swivel point as that forms the 'live' connection to the lighting bar in the coach.

I have a thread over here where I am discussing getting conducting couplings as spare parts as I have a Trix Orient Express 2 coach add-on set that I want to connect to my Marklin 42755 set, and will be putting details of my progress over there. It is going to take a while though, as I still haven't received the required items from Marklin.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Goofy  
#3 Posted : 13 November 2016 14:28:28(UTC)
Goofy

I´m not really sure if it´s possible to change out the wheels?
If so you can fix some lighting effect on the coaches.
But it seems you must total change out the old lighting system to replacement a new.
Nothing is impossible...the problem is just how to fix it.
If you cannot change the wheels from dc to ac,you waste the time to change out the lighting system.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline glight1  
#4 Posted : 13 November 2016 16:10:01(UTC)
glight1

United States   
Well, put me in the faint of heart column.

If I decide on these coaches I think I'll just resign myself to the fact that they won't have lights. This Orient Express train will just run in the daytime Mellow
Offline Carim  
#5 Posted : 13 November 2016 22:20:21(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
Hi Gary,

Maybe have a look at http://www.train-tech.com; their lighting solution might be a way to go. I haven't used them but they responded very quickly to my inquiries (I was interested whether they had a sound solution for Z scale).

Carim
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Carim
Offline river6109  
#6 Posted : 14 November 2016 02:39:02(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
why worry about 2 or 3 rail, do your interior lights via the coupling, via decoder.
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline kiwiAlan  
#7 Posted : 14 November 2016 14:37:18(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
why worry about 2 or 3 rail, do your interior lights via the coupling, via decoder.

It is not as simple as that with these Trix designed coaches. You cannot use the standard Marklin conductive coupling kit to make the connections - see the link in my post above.