Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mb300e4m  
#1 Posted : 11 November 2016 14:41:42(UTC)
mb300e4m

How compatible are Marklin Digital locos with other digital systems? Will they run when on a layout that uses a Digitrax digital controller for example? Also will non-Marklin decoders function normally using a Marklin digital controller?

If I am using the wrong terms, please correct me, I have been an analogue guy since late 1940s. I need some basic lessons/tutorials in Digital. Sad

I just acquired a collection of Marklin Digital locos and equipment, it is mostly Insiders Club items and like new. BigGrin

Peter B.
Peter B.
In Sunny Florida most of the time.
Marklin, Trix Express, Trix Twin, Fleischmann, Liliput, Hornby Dublo, and Others, 2 & 3 Rail, AC, DC and Digital, Course Scale Wheels & Fine, 1935 to 1960s usually.
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 11 November 2016 14:51:18(UTC)
H0

Hi!

The key term is "protocol". Loco decoder and controller should have a protocol in common.
There are protocols like MM, mfx, DCC, SX, DCS.

Märklin locos support MM protocol, some MM+mfx, some MM+DCC, some MM+mfx+DCC. DCC is very rare with Märklin H0 locos, but common with Märklin I locos.
Recent Märklin controllers support MM, DCC, and mfx.

I don't know Digitrax controllers - it's unlikely that Märklin H0 locos will work with them. Check the protocols.
Same for non-Märklin decoders: check the protocols.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline kiwiAlan  
#3 Posted : 11 November 2016 15:48:38(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Early Digitrax controllers supported the early MM protocol, but I don't think they ever supported MM2. It was an option IIRC that had to be turned on in the controller, but I am not aware they continued it on into current controller models.

Assuming that seeing you are talking about digitrax, you have some Loconet devices such as throttles and feedback units then you may like to consider some other control units such as Intellibox (which is a native Loconet device) or EcOS which can have loconet devices attached through an adapter.

Another way to handle Loconet with whatever system you choose is to use a computer program such as JMRI (it is free) to deal with the Loconet side of things. I don't think it can convert Loconet throttle messages to other formats though.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline mb300e4m  
#4 Posted : 16 November 2016 15:02:34(UTC)
mb300e4m

I e-mailed Digitrax: "I have a Digitrax ZephyrXtra Control system. Is it compatible with any of the Marklin decoder protocols? Is so, can you tell me which ones?"

Here is their answer: "The DCS51 (ZephyrXtra) is compatible with DCC protocols."

Hmmm...
Peter B.
Marklin, Trix Express, Trix Twin, Fleischmann, Liliput, Hornby Dublo, and Others, 2 & 3 Rail, AC, DC and Digital, Course Scale Wheels & Fine, 1935 to 1960s usually.
Offline DaleSchultz  
#5 Posted : 16 November 2016 17:31:38(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
remember, you can install DCC decoders into the locos that use a decoder that is unsupported.
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline mb300e4m  
#6 Posted : 16 November 2016 23:07:43(UTC)
mb300e4m

Originally Posted by: DaleSchultz Go to Quoted Post
remember, you can install DCC decoders into the locos that use a decoder that is unsupported.

Being a collector who does not modify, that is not an option. I prefer to keep my collection all original if possible, unless original or exact replacement parts are not available. I have used repro parts when originals are not available.

I recently picked up a HAG railcar that had been butchered and is worth very little now. The original motor, trucks, wheels, lights and reverser had been removed, the chassis was cut badly and the trucks had been replaced with 2 Tenshodo power trucks and Kadees. It was a total disaster. But it was cheap and I can use the Tenshodo power trucks in a couple of my double deck trams. The rest is going in the scrap box.
PB170569.JPG
Peter B.