Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Minok  
#51 Posted : 10 October 2016 20:10:36(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Originally Posted by: MaerklinLife Go to Quoted Post
Can someone please explain to me - in plain English - what all this interesting information is all about? What is the problem with "galvanic isolation"?

The fundamental effect of having galvanic isolation between two(or more) parts of a circuit is that it ensures there is no current flowing from one into the other long term. This has to do (I think, and I'll be corrected if I'm wrong) with the components regulating the power and monitoring the voltage on their outputs. The power stages to the track that modulate the digital data on the power, and the S88 sensing systems all need precise control of the way current flows to detect and adjust.

In the past the ground (rails) on Märklin layouts could always be connected across all power delivery circuits, with the various powered zones (if your layout was divided up into several zones, each of which is powered by its own controller/booster) only needing the center rails isolated from those of other zones. They wanted to change to a system where both the center rail AND the common ground were isolated from one zone to the next, but that cause a load of grief to a lot of existing layouts that wanted to use the new controllers, so they reverted (and swapped out one of the 2 parts that would have required that rail and center conductor isolation on the track).

Momentary connections between two galvanically isolated zones (sections) is permissible, locomotives can (and individual cars can) transition between the isolated zones without problem, and since Märklin is back to the 'common rail ground' between powered zones, you don't have to worry about insulating the rails between powered zones.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline clapcott  
#52 Posted : 10 October 2016 21:31:48(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post
Momentary connections between two galvanically isolated zones (sections) is permissible ....

A wee qualification ...
Just as with analogue, where you needed to ensure the power supplies were in phase, it is important that the power/signals of a digital signal are in sync.

This may only be achieved with controllers/boosters on the same system bus, from where the sync is generated.
It does not permit a connection for a controller that is out of sync - specifically ..
- any CS1 (or CS2 or either CS3) connected via the LAN/Ethernet
- a 6021 even if linked via the Connect 6021 (60128)
Peter
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by clapcott
Offline TEEWolf  
#53 Posted : 12 October 2016 04:57:42(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: Sankch Go to Quoted Post
Hi Everyone,

On page 31 of the manual there is a diagram that shows a connection between the CS3(plus) and the Decoder Programmer.

How did you understand this?

I wonder if we can now simply plug the Decoder Programmer in the USB port of the CS3(plus) or, as it is under "network connection", the CS3(plus) can reach/read data of the Decoder Programmer plugged in the computer.

Confused

Kind regards

Sankch

Well, this picture shows you only 3 different possibilities of conecting devices via an USB port, a CAN bus port and a LAN port for the internet. They do not show you in this picture eg the Maerklin connecting port.

Maerklin mentioned in the manual, they do not continously seperate in this manual between the CS 3 and the CS 3+. See page 7 Introduction:

"Wichtig: Die Bedienung beider Geräte ist identisch. Die vorliegende Bedienungsanleitung gilt daher auch für beide Versionen. Die beiden Versionen der CS3 unterscheiden sich im Wesentlichen durch ihre Hardwareausstattung: ..."

"Important: the handling of both devices is identical. Because of that, the present manual is valid for both devices. Both versions of the CS 3 differs essentially at the hardware equipment: ..."

On the same page #7 in the right column you find the heading
"Einschränkungen der Central Station 60226" - "Restrictions of the Central Staton 60226".

"Da die Central Station 60226 über keinen Märklin CANBus Eingang verfügt, kann sie im Master/Slave-Betrieb
nicht als Slave eingesetzt werden. Anstelle des Märklin CAN-Bus Eingangs besitzt diese einen zweiten Märklin Geräteanschluss.

Darüber hinaus können Rückmeldemodule nur über den Link S88 (60883) angeschlossen werden. Der S88 Anschluss auf der Geräteunterseite entfällt."

Translation:
"Since the Central Station 60226 has no Märklin CANBus input, in the master/slave mode it can not be used as a slave. Instead of the Märklin CAN bus input, the 60226 has got a second Märklin device connection.

In addition, feedback modules can only be connected via the Link S88 (60883). The S88 connector on the bottom of the device is omitted."

I think Maerklin made here an error, because the 60883 is not the S88 (= 60881 AC or 60882 S88 DC) article #. 60883 is the article # for the L88 and this device is obligatory necessary before you can connect a S88, as I wrote above and you see at page #37.

Hopfully I did not confuse you.

regards

TEEWolf
Offline steventrain  
#54 Posted : 21 October 2016 18:23:45(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Reply from Marklin - It said German only download.

No English download from Marklin.Cursing
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline Minok  
#55 Posted : 21 October 2016 20:37:50(UTC)
Minok

United States   
I'd think there are several of us native German speakers with are also fluent in English, like myself, that could do a decent job at translating.
If we had an editable version of the manual (MS Word?) we could produce a good English version. Otherwise, it would take more work as recreating the structure, images, etc from the PDF will take time. But I'd hope Märklin would get on this earlier in the game.
---
My YouTube Channel:
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok
Offline grnwtrs  
#56 Posted : 23 October 2016 00:15:00(UTC)
grnwtrs

United States   
I'd think there are several of us native German speakers with are also fluent in English, like myself, that could do a decent job at translating.
If we had an editable version of the manual (MS Word?) we could produce a good English version. Otherwise, it would take more work as recreating the structure, images, etc from the PDF will take time. But I'd hope Märklin would get on this earlier in the game.

Agreed!!

But would that be a Maerklin?BigGrin BigGrin

Best regards,
gene
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by grnwtrs
Offline Danlake  
#57 Posted : 24 October 2016 10:52:41(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   

Hi all,

I just tried converting the manual from PDF to MS Word with Acrobat and it did an almost perfect conversion.

I don't have any share services to upload a word file too, but drop me an PM and I can send the word doc by email.

Brgds Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#58 Posted : 24 October 2016 11:07:21(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
You can attach the file to any of your posts in this thread as long as the file size is 20mb or less. Just click on the paperclip icon when editing or posting a reply (but not a quick reply).

Word doco attached.

Central Station 3.docx (8,762kb) downloaded 92 time(s).
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline ktsolias  
#59 Posted : 25 October 2016 10:51:25(UTC)
ktsolias

Greece   
Here there are the first 7 pages of the Manual tranlsated in English. Is a Google Translation, if you want you can do corrections and post it back.
The other pages will follow, but is a time consuming operation the formatting of the text exactly as it was in the original text.....

Is in Word Format
Central Station 3_EN_p1-7.docx (2,523kb) downloaded 71 time(s).

Hope that will help many of us

Costas
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by ktsolias
Offline Rwill  
#60 Posted : 25 October 2016 11:35:27(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
Stop a minute and answer one of my dumb questions.

If I were to preorder a CS3 plus from Gaugemaster are we saying that when it arrives in the UK distributor he will supply it to me with a German only manual? Or is this a temporary thing until they get things going?
Offline H0  
#61 Posted : 25 October 2016 14:17:21(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Rwill Go to Quoted Post
If I were to preorder a CS3 plus from Gaugemaster are we saying that when it arrives in the UK distributor he will supply it to me with a German only manual?
It seems all CS3 ship with a leaflet that indicates the manual is available for download.
At the moment only a German version is available for download.

It could be that Gaugemaster include an English manual of their own making, but not very likely.

Sooner or later there will be an English manual from Märklin.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Minok  
#62 Posted : 25 October 2016 22:46:21(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Originally Posted by: ktsolias Go to Quoted Post
Here there are the first 7 pages of the Manual tranlsated in English. Is a Google Translation, if you want you can do corrections and post it back.
The other pages will follow, but is a time consuming operation the formatting of the text exactly as it was in the original text.....

Is in Word Format

Costas

Cool. I'd recommend a native speaker translate directly from the German, because Google Translate (or any software today) often gets certain things wrong.. though not sure if those case (eg idioms are hard) exist.
---
My YouTube Channel:
Offline Minok  
#63 Posted : 28 October 2016 22:00:43(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Originally Posted by: ktsolias Go to Quoted Post

Is in Word Format

Costas

I'm taking a crack at cleaning up the images and translating the rest of the text with an eye on the original German PDF... Shouldn't take more than a day or so.

After working with the Word documents I'm thinking editing the PDF would produce the best results without mangling the images and layout.
Working with the PDF, first getting a comparable font to the "Univers" that its written in ("Zurich" is close enough), it took me about an hour to convert the "Table of Contents". Some of that is learning curve with the new interface and peculiarities of "Adobe Acrobat Pro DC".

So this may take longer than expected, but I'll keep slugging forward. If someone else is already doing this, please let me know so we don't both spend so much time creating a quality English CS3/3plus manual...

With some luck an English PDF will come out of this.

6 Hrs in - 8 pages done... onto page 9...

Edited by user 29 October 2016 04:36:20(UTC)  | Reason: progress update

---
My YouTube Channel:
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok
Offline Minok  
#64 Posted : 29 October 2016 05:25:51(UTC)
Minok

United States   
OK, time to stop for the night. Got through the first 10 pages.

I'll post results to a NEW post "CS3 Manual - English".

https://www.marklin-user...630-CS3-Manual---English
---
My YouTube Channel:
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Minok