Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#1 Posted : 05 September 2016 17:32:22(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Hi everyone,

I have a nice big weekend carpetbahn going on in the living room this weekend. Its the first time I've used my mobile station 2 for more than basic testing work. I have to say I really enjoy its capabilities. However, there also seems to be a lot of limitations as follows. Can anyone help diagnose or assist me with the following challenges?

- Connecting more than one feeder wire? My current track loop is ~125 feet/40+meters in a dogbone shape. The track box has a feeder wire of course, but I can't see a logical way to add multiple feeders. Ideas?

- second challenge: the track plus in boxes (24188 straight with grey square box attached) that come with starter sets won't recognize the MS2. Are they for MS1 only? Everything plugs in, but nothing works. I tried 3 so it isn't the track itself.

Thanks for any assistance!
SBB Era 2-5
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 05 September 2016 18:39:33(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: 5HorizonsRR Go to Quoted Post
- Connecting more than one feeder wire? My current track loop is ~125 feet/40+meters in a dogbone shape. The track box has a feeder wire of course, but I can't see a logical way to add multiple feeders. Ideas?
For a simple solution, you can get a few Märklin 74042 to distribute the power.

You can also get a few Märklin 74040: Do not connect the 60113 to the track, connect thicker wires to the output of the 60113 and connect the 74040 as needed to those thicker wires.

Or simply solder cables to the track pieces where you want to feed power. It's easy to solder at the pads where you normally attach the spade connectors.

- second challenge: the track plus in boxes (24188 straight with grey square box attached) that come with starter sets won't recognize the MS2. Are they for MS1 only? Everything plugs in, but nothing works. I tried 3 so it isn't the track itself.
MS1 and MS2 are totally incompatible. You can use the 24088 like a normal piece of track if you do not plug anything into the "ugly box".
You can even unscrew the ugly box.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#3 Posted : 06 September 2016 15:40:37(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Thanks for this- makes sense on the MS1/MS2 incompatibility.

On the feeders, I know how to work a feeder wire system itself, I'm more concerned with how to get it into the box, which only has what looks like a permanent lead attached. Here was the key phrase in your response: "connect thicker wires to the output of the 60113"

How do I do that? Break it open and resolder? If so, I'm certainly capable of it but would have thought Marklin had a better solution considering the whole rest of the system is plug and play.

Not to turn this into a Marklin complaint, but it is amazing how shortsighted some things are that they do. with a CS2/3 ok this is all fine, but far a basic control largely intended for small layouts or children to play on the floor this seems like an oversight. If I build a 4x8' layout with a few trains running (standard small setup for kids etc... in the US) you would need more than one feeder wire, and likely wouldn't update to a CS2/3 at $700+.....

SBB Era 2-5
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 06 September 2016 15:52:59(UTC)
H0

The wires coming out of the 60113 are thin, but I wouldn't open the box. Either connect your own wires at the end of the original wires or cut the original cables somewhere in the middle.

Re "complaint":
The large premium starter sets include a 74042.

There are many different ways to get more feeder tracks. The "how to" information could be a bit better.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Minok  
#5 Posted : 06 September 2016 23:22:30(UTC)
Minok

United States   

On the feeders, I know how to work a feeder wire system itself, I'm more concerned with how to get it into the box, which only has what looks like a permanent lead attached. Here was the key phrase in your response: "connect thicker wires to the output of the 60113"

How do I do that? Break it open and resolder? If so, I'm certainly capable of it but would have thought Marklin had a better solution considering the whole rest of the system is plug and play.

If the 60113 is properly electrically designed and manufactured, the gauge of the wires coming out of the box are thick enough to carry the full current that the track box is rated for. No need to cut it. You need to get/build a distribution block where you can plug in the two wires from the track box, and the connect to that new feeder wires that run off and attach to the track at various points along your layout.

On c-track that should be relatively straight forward if you have wires with the spades (can purchase the spades as 74995, wires: 7102 brown, 7105 red wire ) on the end of it to plug into your track at strategic points around your layout.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok
Offline TEEWolf  
#6 Posted : 07 September 2016 01:32:50(UTC)
TEEWolf

Hi everyone,

I have a nice big weekend carpetbahn going on in the living room this weekend. Its the first time I've used my mobile station 2 for more than basic testing work. I have to say I really enjoy its capabilities. However, there also seems to be a lot of limitations as follows. Can anyone help diagnose or assist me with the following challenges?

Thanks for any assistance!

Hi 5HRR,

not easy your questions.

The track with Märklin # 24188 is just a plain straight piece of a C-track, 188,3 mm long. You find this piece on page 240 in the actual complete paper catalogue from Märklin 2015/2016 (CPCM 15/16) - and that's it – for the moment.

But combined with this track Märklin has an article # 194548 power connecting for the “start-up” system, which is only controlled via an infrared controller. You don't have it, so forget it. It is not compatible with the digital world of Märklin. If you want to know more, please look inside the CPCM 15/16 page 36. There you find the Start-up system architecture.

I guess, what you are asking for is the article # 24088 power connection. Please be very thoughtful with the article numbers, because sometimes they only differ in ONE digit, but have very different usage.

The article # 24088 you find on page 241 of the CPCM 15/16. As far as I know, this was for the MS 1 article # 60652. The “old” experienced digital railroader may correct me, if I am wrong. So both articles are no longer in production and superseded my newer models. So forget about them too, except you ow them already. Also I was thinking to buy one, because they are very, very cheap on the used market. But finally I did not, because I came to the conclusion the differences in the techniques and incompatibility to my equipment (only MS 2 and one digital box 60113 at the moment) brings me too much hassle. So I kept my fingers off from these parts. As also Tom wrote the MS 1 has nothing to do with the MS 2 (in grey # 60113 or in black # 60116 colour – but both controllers shall be technically identical). It is as it is and unfortunately Märklin uses very close or similar notations for different products.

But for your convenience here are 2 links to a Dutch rail wiki

wiring conncetion 1

wiring connection 2

showing in graphics three power connections ( in Dutch: Aansluiten Märklin = wiring diagram or as I write "power connection" or “power to the tracks”). It is a nice overview including also the old connexion with delta control sytem. Also no longer sold by Märklin, but still often used by “older” Märklinisti. (= Märklin fans).

Now I guess, that you got a 24088 for an MS 1, but you "only" have a MS 2 or MS 3. This will never work together. For a MS 2 you must have (no exceptions) as a minimum a digital box (60113 or 60116) for a power connection. The main reasons are a change in the power supplies by a new law and a different technique by Märklin. Märklin had to switch from the “Transformatoren” (transformers) to “Schaltnetzteile” (switching power supplies).

If you are not sure, what you got, just ask Google. Inserting “Märklin 24088” and search for the pictures, but you also get a few graphics for wiring connections. Always helpful to myself too.

If you want more assistance, especially for cabling to get more power input (you using the words “feeder wire”, but I guess it is the same?!) of your carpetbahn, please let me know. But please write all the articles you are using for powering, feeding and controlling your railroad.

Regards

Wolfgang
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#7 Posted : 07 September 2016 03:13:54(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Hi all, maybe I'm missing something. What is the difference between a 74040 and a 74042?
SBB Era 2-5
Offline akerstdi  
#8 Posted : 07 September 2016 03:45:15(UTC)
akerstdi

United States   
Hello All,

Personally I connect my 60113 brown and red wires to two separate 72090. From there I use 714xx plugs on the 72090 and 74995 to the tracks at 1.5m intervals. Since a booster was never made for the MS2, I follow a plan shared with me by another forum member(Alsterstreek)

P.S. Loks will not register in this configuration. You will need to split off a brown and red and wire them to a separate track before the 66045, and loks will register on that separate track.
Offline TEEWolf  
#9 Posted : 07 September 2016 06:01:57(UTC)
TEEWolf

Hi all, maybe I'm missing something. What is the difference between a 74040 and a 74042?

In Germany there is a price difference of about 1,50 €. Because 74040 has 1 meter long cables in red and brown fixed to the cable shoes. The 74042 has 2 meter long cables in red and brown attached to its shoes. And when I do remember correctly (because I bought it once for 5,50 € at a dealer), the 2 meter long cable has also the connectors in brown and red in the package. Finally you can do your "feeder wire set" cheaper by yourself.

Instruction manual

I just looked up my package (74040). It has no connectors, only shoes on one side and blank cable ends at the other side. But I have not used it yet. For me the profile of the cable is to thin for a power connection (or did you say wire feeder?) to the tracks.
Offline H0  
#10 Posted : 07 September 2016 09:14:25(UTC)
H0

The 74042 has spade connectors at both ends. It is meant to carry current from one part of the layout to another part. Ideally you put one end of the 74042 next to a feeder wire.

The 74040 has blank ends on one side - but two plugs should be included.

So the 74042 is a simple solution for floor layouts. The 74040 or soldering wires is the better choice for permanent layouts.
I'd solder the wires before I glue the tracks to the ground. Those spade connectors sometimes fall off easily.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline H0  
#11 Posted : 07 September 2016 10:12:20(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post
If the 60113 is properly electrically designed and manufactured, the gauge of the wires coming out of the box are thick enough to carry the full current that the track box is rated for.
Yep, the wire is thick enough considering the 1.9 A rating of the MS2 and the length of the cable.
However I would not use such thin cables as distribution wires on my layout.
Even as a feeder wire for the last meter they are rather thin, considering the higher output ratings of the Central Stations (up to 4 A for 60212 and up to 5 A for 60214/5).

Märklin could have been leading by example by using thicker wires even for the MS2 trackbox.

Copper is expensive. But don't use wires that are limited to 2 A when building a permanent layout to prevent problems in the future when you might buy a stronger controller.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#12 Posted : 07 September 2016 19:09:35(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
The 74042 has spade connectors at both ends. It is meant to carry current from one part of the layout to another part. Ideally you put one end of the 74042 next to a feeder wire.

The 74040 has blank ends on one side - but two plugs should be included.

So the 74042 is a simple solution for floor layouts. The 74040 or soldering wires is the better choice for permanent layouts.
I'd solder the wires before I glue the tracks to the ground. Those spade connectors sometimes fall off easily.

AH! The 74042 makes perfect sense then- thats exactly what I was referring to and needed for a temporary solution. I'll have to try and get a set, or better yet just find a source (cheaper than marklin) for a big box of spade connectors!
SBB Era 2-5
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#13 Posted : 07 September 2016 19:11:21(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Actually there is a question- does anyone know a source of Marklin spade connector size crimps? Preferably available to order in the US?
SBB Era 2-5
Offline RayF  
#14 Posted : 07 September 2016 21:29:41(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Actually there is a question- does anyone know a source of Marklin spade connector size crimps? Preferably available to order in the US?

I use a multi crimper. It has several "notches" for different sizes of connector.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline TEEWolf  
#15 Posted : 08 September 2016 02:17:58(UTC)
TEEWolf

Yes of course, but I think you get it almost in every online-shop. Just for your info see the link

joes Maerklin crimp.

But postage would probabely double the price. But here you see the same shop on ebay.

joes ebay crimp

But for you may be helpful (as it does to myself) the instruction manual to crimper.

instruction manual Maerklin crimper

Märklin offers as well plugs and sockets.

Plugs and sockets Maerklin
manual Maerklin

Please be aware that there are old aand new ones. The old ones are bigger as the new ones.

At least Maerklin has also spade connectors
spade connectors
and the
manual

Here more info as PDF file for downloading, even it is in German.

track plans

Technik-Tipp 103 Anschlußverbindungen

Have fun.
Offline TEEWolf  
#16 Posted : 08 September 2016 03:19:50(UTC)
TEEWolf

If the 60113 is properly electrically designed and manufactured, the gauge of the wires coming out of the box are thick enough to carry the full current that the track box is rated for.
Yep, the wire is thick enough considering the 1.9 A rating of the MS2 and the length of the cable.
Even as a feeder wire for the last meter they are rather thin, considering the higher output ratings of the Central Stations (up to 4 A for 60212 and up to 5 A for 60214/5).

Märklin could have been leading by example by using thicker wires even for the MS2 trackbox.

Copper is expensive. But don't use wires that are limited to 2 A when building a permanent layout to prevent problems in the future when you might buy a stronger controller.

Correct, but I do have the same problem as 5HRR. The cables from the digital connector box # 60113 do have a thin profile from - I guess - only 0,19 mm² (I did not check it). At the moment for my small layout it is sufficient. But for a bigger layout either I must get a booster or a CS3.

Do you know, if the cables at a CS are also fix plugged in or are they exchangeable? I want to attach cables with a profile of 0,75 mm² from the CS3 to a ring main loop cable. With the "Switched Mode Power Pack" # 60101 I want to get 5 A power on this ring for multiple feeders to the tracks. But therefor I need a thick cable connecting a CS3. Is this possible?

Offline Armando  
#17 Posted : 08 September 2016 05:26:20(UTC)
Armando

United States   

May I add another question: Is there a difference in wire thickness between 74040 and 74042? Just like the wires that come with the CS are much thicker that the ones in 74040?

Best regards,
Armando García

Offline Minok  
#18 Posted : 09 September 2016 02:03:06(UTC)
Minok

United States   

Good point.

Remember however, that the amount of current the layout draws from the trackbox and wiring from it to the track is determined by the power demands of the locomotives and car draws (lights, sound, etc) on the track, not the physical size of the layout (in case anyone may be confused by that). So running 2 locomotives around a giant loop draws the same current as running those 2 locomotives around a small circle of R1.

If doing a fixed/permanent layout it is advisable to design for the maximum.. so figure out how many locomotives and other consumers you might have, with full lighting, and size the power buss for that. Then if you upgrade the power supplying hardware, the wiring stays in place.

For the existing track box, one can always open it up and solder in thicker gauge wires if one feels the need, but I'd expect that the wires are thick enough for feeding to a distribution bus that then feeds around your layout.
---
My YouTube Channel:
Offline TEEWolf  
#19 Posted : 10 September 2016 03:28:21(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: Armando Go to Quoted Post

May I add another question: Is there a difference in wire thickness between 74040 and 74042? Just like the wires that come with the CS are much thicker that the ones in 74040?

Hi Armando,

well, unfortunately I have not an ME (engineering of electronics), I got an MBA. But of my own interest, I started self studies about your questions and the digital power supply of an MRR already some time ago. The emphasis is on digital and I have not yet finished my studies.

But so far I agree with Minok in his post #18, except changing the wires at the digital track box MS2 60113/60116. Instead - if really necessary - I would add an additional power supply for safety reasons, like a booster or even change to an CS, which always has an booster included.

For this theme I found a very interesting homepage by Stefan Krauss and the electronic of a digital MRR.

Stefan Krauss Autofuse
sorry only in German

He gives a description of the ex­cess current detection. Stefan Krauss is physicists and developed a solution for excess current de­tection at an MRR. The solution he named “AutoFuse”. But I think this is a theme for an extra thread.

Back to your question: “Just like the wires that come with the CS are much thicker that the ones in 74040?” Yes, the cables coming with the CS are much thicker as for the digital box.

Because of no answer to your and mine question I was investigating in the internet, and found the cable attached to each CS always has an minimum transverse section of 0,5 mm². Whereas the ones to 74040, 74042 have only a profile of 0,14 mm² or 0,19 mm² (I did not control it, but that is Maerklin cable standard for signals, turnouts, etc.).

Maerklin says explicitly, that no cable thinner than 0,5 mm² profile shall be used for a CS wire feed to the tracks. This cable from the CS has the spare part number at Märklin ET 120 723 (see also here at this community: https://www.marklin-user...ral-Sta­tion.aspx). It shall cost at the Maerklin shop 25 €. Dealer offer it cheaper, but still expensive

(http://www.mke.storedit.eu/artikeldetails-128-6898-maerklin_120723_gleis_anschlusskabel_fuer_central_station_60212_60215_e120723.html).

Perhaps, you do it by yourself. In the German Stummi Forum one member wrote: buy the cable clamp by yourself (see here: http://uk.rs-online.com/...erminal-blocks/7900695/) and attach it with a 1mm² profile cable for a loudspeaker and you get it much cheaper.

Regards

Wolfgang
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline H0  
#20 Posted : 10 September 2016 08:11:53(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post
But so far I agree with Minok in his post #18, except changing the wires at the digital track box MS2 60113/60116. Instead - if really necessary - I would add an additional power supply for safety reasons, like a booster or even change to an CS, which always has an booster included.
I'm afraid I don't get your point here.
The 60113/2/4/6 have a booster inside, just like CS2 and CS3 have a booster inside.
The CS has a more powerful booster (at least 2.4 A) than the MS2 trackbox (1.9 A).

Wires must be thick enough to handle the maximum current.
And the total resistance between booster and the remotest point on the layout must be low enough to allow reliable short circuit detection. Replacing the cables on the 60113 will improve the resistance a little bit.

Having more than one booster on the layout brings new security risks, it does not generally improve safety.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Moritz-BR365  
#21 Posted : 12 September 2016 10:18:25(UTC)
Moritz-BR365

Germany   
Originally Posted by: akerstdi Go to Quoted Post

P.S. Loks will not register in this configuration. You will need to split off a brown and red and wire them to a separate track before the 66045, and loks will register on that separate track.

Tams Booster Link
There is a Booster Link from Tams. It will enable the auto registration from mfx locos: http://tams-online.de/Pr...tal/Booster/Booster-Link
I guess, it will work with the Delta Control, too.
UserPostedImage

I may update my circuit plan with Booster Links connected:

UserPostedImage

Edited by user 13 September 2016 08:22:30(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Minok  
#22 Posted : 13 September 2016 01:03:03(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Originally Posted by: Armando Go to Quoted Post

Beyond the length difference (74040 is 1m long, 74042 is 2m long), and that the 74040 doesn't have the flat crimps on the other end (as it appears to be targeted at the old plug style connectors used with the DELTA and similar systems) where the 74042 has the flat crimp connectors on both ends, I suspect the wire thickness (gauge) is the same between them.

Using a Mobil Station with a track box, doesn't require the Delta controllers and AC transformer for power, so things do depend on the entire electrical setup you are working with.

The Märklin cables ( http://www.maerklin.de/d...e/details/article/71060/ ) have a 0.75 square mm surface (though I'm not sure if that is the conductor area only (wire gauge) or also includes the colored insulation.) I'm not at home so I cannot take the calipers to the wires coming from the track box.

The area is pi * radius * radius, so for A=0.75 mm^2 we have a radius of 0.49mm or a diameter of nearly 1mm (0.977mm).
That puts it at around 19 gauge (AWG) which is at .91mm. ( http://www.firemountaing...ncyclobeadia/charts/6404 )
19 gauge wire has been rated to carry around 9A of current maximum ( http://www.rowand.net/Sh...ch/WireCapacityChart.htm )

This means the wires that come out of the track box have PLENTY of current carrying capacity for what a Mobile Station or Central Station puts out.

The only issue in power distribution, is thus the voltage drop along longer runs of wire. So if you have a large layout and need to distribute power to many places many meters away, then it makes sense to have a thicker gauge power distribution wire as the buss that runs all around your layout, to minimize the voltage drop, and then patch in with the thinner 19 gauge Märklin (or similar) wire at the track/switch/consumer. Use stranded wire (as it can carry much more current and is better for high frequency signals (aka the digital data modulated on top of the AC/DC power signals), but if color coded distribution wire seems like overkill, then a 14 gauge speaker wire should be just fine.

Bottom line, the wires are thick enough to supply the current the track box outputs via Mobil Station or Central Stations. Even if the cross section of 0.75mm^2 includes the insulation the thinner wire still has enough copper to supply the power from the controllers.
---
My YouTube Channel:
Offline Moritz-BR365  
#23 Posted : 13 September 2016 09:16:10(UTC)
Moritz-BR365

Germany   
MS2 with Delta Booster and TAMS Booster Link, really easy to connect:

UserPostedImage

Edited by user 13 September 2016 13:20:45(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#24 Posted : 15 September 2016 02:00:07(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post
I'm afraid I don't get your point here.
The 60113/2/4/6 have a booster inside, just like CS2 and CS3 have a booster inside.
The CS has a more powerful booster (at least 2.4 A) than the MS2 trackbox (1.9 A).

Wires must be thick enough to handle the maximum current.
And the total resistance between booster and the remotest point on the layout must be low enough to allow reliable short circuit detection. Replacing the cables on the 60113 will improve the resistance a little bit.

Having more than one booster on the layout brings new security risks, it does not generally improve safety.

This is very interesting- so if there is a booster inside, one can use one of these with an additional transformer for each power block then? If so that somewhat helps explain why the things are so darn expensive!
SBB Era 2-5
Offline H0  
#25 Posted : 15 September 2016 08:12:31(UTC)
H0

This is very interesting- so if there is a booster inside, one can use one of these with an additional transformer for each power block then?
Nope. Every digital controller needs a booster just like any radio needs an amplifier to drive a speaker.
Many controllers have a booster inside.

There is one booster inside each MS1, one booster inside each MS2 track box, one booster inside each CS2 (well, two actually - one for the programming track).
There are no unused spare boosters inside - except for a Slave MS1.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Minok  
#26 Posted : 16 September 2016 00:54:51(UTC)
Minok

United States   
As these sorts of discussions go, I get the feeling that Märklin's choice to use the term 'booster' helps lead to the confusion.

If I understand things, and correct me here Tom, the 'booster' does two things - it modulates the digital control signals onto the electrical power for delivery to the track electrical circuit, while also having some monitoring circuitry in it to detect short circuits to protect things. So the booster is a power amplifier, or power modulator maybe.

Each track electrical circuit can have one and only one, hence the need to electrically isolate the sections on tracks that are driven by their own boosters. Be the booster in the track boxes or central stations or MS1's (where slave's likely have some of their booster circuit shut down when slaved), the booster determines the power flow to the track. Its the upper limit on the power that can be consumed on the track circuit. The wiring must accommodate that level, to be safe. The consumers (locos, lighting, car decoders, etc) determine how much power is demanded and define the power actually drawn (so long as that demand doesn't exceed the ability of the booster).
---
My YouTube Channel:
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok
H0