Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Armando  
#1 Posted : 28 March 2016 01:17:08(UTC)
Armando

United States   
Hi all,

I recently upgraded two Badische IVh locomotives in my collection (39020 and 39021) with a 21 pin LokSound V4 M4. In doing so, I also had to replace the original, factory installed, 100 ohm speaker with new 4 ohm speakers. Some initial CV settings are required to get the locomotives to operate, as these are fitted with the discontinued, compact, sinus motor.

The enhanced sounds are spectacular, and the full palette of additional sound and motion functions seem to work right, except for the possibility of controlling the intensity of the smoke when the locomotive is in stationary position.

Normally, this is done for MFX decoders by setting the extra function to "smoke" on the key that it's mapped with the smoke generation function (normally Output 1). However, this does not seem to have any effect on mine now. On this setting, the generator produces less smoke when the loco is stationary and gradually more when the locomotive is set in motion, depending on its speed.

Has anyone encountered the same issue? And if so, how can it be resolved?
Best regards,
Armando García

Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 28 March 2016 08:35:17(UTC)
H0

Hi, Armando,

Do you have an ESU LokProgrammer? Are you trying with a CS2?

I never tried the Smoke feature with any of the new V4 M4 decoders. But those decoders have some features the CS2 cannot access.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Goofy  
#3 Posted : 28 March 2016 10:02:20(UTC)
Goofy

I have ESU V200 with an special smoke generator.
This decoder V4 M4 do have some CV adresses to adjust smoke temperatur and air fluid.
I found an CV adress and it´s CV 139.
The higher value,the higher temperatur.
But to program smoke value with lesser smoke in the station area and when locomotive start moves,the more smoke generates you need an lokprogrammer to adjust value of the smoke and speed up synchrony together.
That means the smoke generator must get heater when locomotive start speed up.
I´m not sure if this can been done with an Seuthe smoke generator.
The decoder delivery power to the smoke generator,to start heat up.
It happens so when you push as digital function on the hand control or CS2.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 28 March 2016 10:25:55(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
This decoder V4 M4 do have some CV adresses to adjust smoke temperatur and air fluid.
CV 139 is not documented in the V4 M4 manual.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Goofy  
#5 Posted : 28 March 2016 11:32:16(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
CV 139 is not documented in the V4 M4 manual.

It´s documented in the V200 manual.
I´m sure it does by use ESU lokprogrammer too.
If you write CV 139 in the lokprogrammer...
H0
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 28 March 2016 12:02:00(UTC)
H0

CV 138 and 139 are documented in the V 200 manual for the special ESU smoke generator that ESU installs in their diesel locos.
It is not documented for the general V4 M4 manual. And the smoke generator can be connected to any output from AUX1 to AUX4.

Armando may give it a try. I assume it won't have an effect with his Märklin loco and the Seuthe smoke generator - but little do I know.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Goofy  
#7 Posted : 28 March 2016 12:09:28(UTC)
Goofy

CV 138 and 139 are documented in the V 200 manual for the special ESU smoke generator that ESU installs in their diesel locos.
It is not documented for the general V4 M4 manual. And the smoke generator can be connected to any output from AUX1 to AUX4.

Armando may give it a try. I assume it won't have an effect with his Märklin loco and the Seuthe smoke generator - but little do I know.

It´s sure you can use all CV adresses with the lokprogrammer,if there does documented with the CV adresses.
I know you can do with the loksound V4 M4.
H0
Offline biedmatt  
#8 Posted : 28 March 2016 12:23:47(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
I looked at the LokProgrammer files I have for my Seuthe equiped lokos. There wasn't any clear indication of which CVs control the heat setting. The Seuthe sets up different from ESU's smoke generator. First you have to identify what is under the function output, there are several options including Seuthe or ESU smoke generator. Then once you select Seuthe, there are three heat settings, loko idle, mid speed and full speed. A LokProgrammer would be your best bet to configure it.
Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
Offline H0  
#9 Posted : 28 March 2016 12:34:54(UTC)
H0

It´s sure you can use all CV adresses with the lokprogrammer,if there does documented with the CV adresses.
I know you can do with the loksound V4 M4.
No doubt about that.
In the LokProgrammer software I can choose between "Smoke unit (controlled by sound)" and "Seuthe smoke generator".

CVs that work for the former may have no effect on the latter - and vice versa.

Good to know that you know and that you are sure.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Armando  
#10 Posted : 29 March 2016 04:20:45(UTC)
Armando

United States   
Thank you all for your replies to my query!
Best regards,
Armando García

Offline mike c  
#11 Posted : 29 March 2016 07:10:32(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Armando Go to Quoted Post
Thank you all for your replies to my query!

I don't have any steam engines with ESU decoders, smoke or much of anything. I only have two steam loks, but I do have the ESU Lokprogrammer and at one point, I was looking at the sound mapping and you can create your own sound maps and I believe that you can also adjust the chuff settings and probably also the smoke generator pulses. I don't know how well this can be done with Maerklin MS/CS units.

Regards

Mike C
Offline H0  
#12 Posted : 29 March 2016 08:08:23(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
[---] and at one point, I was looking at the sound mapping and you can create your own sound maps and I believe that you can also adjust the chuff settings and probably also the smoke generator pulses.
Not for the Seuthe units. The ESU and Roco units have ventilators that create smoke pulses with the chuff sound.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Hackcell  
#13 Posted : 29 March 2016 08:37:03(UTC)
Hackcell

Costa Rica   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
[---] and at one point, I was looking at the sound mapping and you can create your own sound maps and I believe that you can also adjust the chuff settings and probably also the smoke generator pulses.
Not for the Seuthe units. The ESU and Roco units have ventilators that create smoke pulses with the chuff sound.

MTH have ventilators too. I wonder if its possible to have the synchronized puffing working using a ESU decoder plus the MTH H0 smoke generator.

Any thoughts?

Danilo Jiménez
Union Pacific and DB Cargo H0 models.
Märklin, Brawa, MTH and some Walthers cars (nobody is perfect!)
Pinball machines, jukeboxes and Horses.
Costa Rica, pura vida!!
Offline river6109  
#14 Posted : 29 March 2016 10:22:10(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Originally Posted by: biedmatt Go to Quoted Post
I looked at the LokProgrammer files I have for my Seuthe equiped lokos. There wasn't any clear indication of which CVs control the heat setting. The Seuthe sets up different from ESU's smoke generator. First you have to identify what is under the function output, there are several options including Seuthe or ESU smoke generator. Then once you select Seuthe, there are three heat settings, loko idle, mid speed and full speed. A LokProgrammer would be your best bet to configure it.

Matt this what I have done with all my Märklin locos although i don't use M4 sound decoders or lok pilots so I don't no whether the settings in a M4 decoder are different.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline H0  
#15 Posted : 29 March 2016 19:16:24(UTC)
H0

I looked at the LokProgrammer files I have for my Seuthe equiped lokos. There wasn't any clear indication of which CVs control the heat setting.
Here's what I got from LokProgrammer:
CV31 = 16, CV32 = 0

CV275 = 24
CV278 = 16
CV279 = 18
CV280 = 20

Value 24 in CV 275 sets AUX1[1] to "Seuthe smoke unit" mode.
278 is intensity for standstill (default and maximum value is 31).
279 is the minimum value for driving (default 0).
280 is the maximum value for driving (default 0).

MS2 users will have to disable mfx to set the values using DCC.
CS2 users may have to disable mfx to set the values using DCC.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Goofy  
#16 Posted : 29 March 2016 20:10:59(UTC)
Goofy

You mean to disable M4?
But we are writing about ESU loksound and i thought you can set value with the M4 too.

H0
Offline H0  
#17 Posted : 29 March 2016 20:17:31(UTC)
H0

You mean to disable M4?
No. When programming DCC/mfx decoders with an MS2 you have to disable mfx in the MS2 to get access to all CVs. Same for ESU or Märklin decoders.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Armando  
#18 Posted : 30 March 2016 04:35:05(UTC)
Armando

United States   
Hi Tom,

If I understand your post correctly, I will have to disable the MFX settings on my CS2, in order to be able to access the CVs on DCC mode. Once on the CVs, I will need to change the values for the CVs as indicated. However, where do the 3 "intensity" settings come from? Is this trial and error?

Here's what I got from LokProgrammer:
CV31 = 16, CV32 = 0

CV275 = 24
CV278 = 16
CV279 = 18
CV280 = 20

Value 24 in CV 275 sets AUX1[1] to "Seuthe smoke unit" mode.
278 is intensity for standstill (default and maximum value is 31).
279 is the minimum value for driving (default 0).
280 is the maximum value for driving (default 0).

Best regards,
Armando García

Offline Armando  
#19 Posted : 30 March 2016 04:52:58(UTC)
Armando

United States   
BTW, I am assuming that the Märklin 72270 smoke unit that I have installed in my two Badische IVh locomotives are one and the same with the Seuthe.
Best regards,
Armando García

Offline H0  
#20 Posted : 30 March 2016 08:18:21(UTC)
H0

However, where do the 3 "intensity" settings come from? Is this trial and error?
Trial and error. Or maybe google.
I don't have a loco with V4 M4 and Seuthe smoke and do not have own experience.
31 is the maximum value. Maybe start with 24 for standstill and see how much smoke you get.

BTW, I am assuming that the Märklin 72270 smoke unit that I have installed in my two Badische IVh locomotives are one and the same with the Seuthe.
A Seuthe generator in a Märklin box, I believe.
Some folks write that Märklin smoke generators work better than Seuthe smoke generators. They vary a bit, especially the 72270.
Settings that work for one smoke generator may not work well with another of the same type.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline H0  
#21 Posted : 31 March 2016 13:23:16(UTC)
H0

If I understand your post correctly, I will have to disable the MFX settings on my CS2, in order to be able to access the CVs on DCC mode.
It seems this point needs some explanations.

In the CS2 change the track protocols from "auto" to "DCC" or "MM+DCC".
Then select a DCC loco on the CS2 - create one if you don't have any yet. The address of this DCC loco does not matter with respect to programming.
3 is the default address of the decoder and to test the changed CVs immediately it will be handy to have a DCC loco that matches the address of the decoder.
The mfx entry for that loco is of no use while mfx is disabled.

Put the loco you want to change on the programming track. It has to be the only loco there.

Now enter the CV screen for that loco.
CVs not yet in the list can be added with the "+" button.
Note that the CS2 does not display the value of a CV until you select the read button (loco with arrow showing up).
Remember that the meaning of CVs between 257 and 512 depends on CVs 31 and 32, so make sure to set those two before changing other CVs.

You can save the decoder profile after adding all the CVs you need for the smoke generator. You can load that profile whenever you need it again.

The CS2 cannot read CVs when using Programming on Main, so using the programming track is recommended.

When programming is done, track protocol can be changed to "auto" again.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Armando  
#22 Posted : 31 March 2016 13:34:52(UTC)
Armando

United States   
Thank you, Tom, for this most valuable explanation.
Best regards,
Armando García

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Armando
H0
Offline Armando  
#23 Posted : 01 April 2016 05:37:10(UTC)
Armando

United States   
Tom,

I followed your detailed instructions with the CS2, set in DCC mode, and was able to add and program the additional CVs with the recommended values.

Everything works great, and the locomotive is able to control the intensity of the smoke, depending on its speed.

I did notice, though, that 13 might be a better setting for CV278, when the locomotive is stationary.

Once again thank you for helping me resolve this issue. Herzlichen Dank!!!
Best regards,
Armando García

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Armando
H0
Offline Goofy  
#24 Posted : 02 April 2016 10:06:12(UTC)
Goofy

I did found this in the lokprogrammer for the smoke generator.
CV 143=Duration of steam chuffs relative to trigger distance 0% to 100%.
CV 141=Minimum steam chuff duration 0 sec to ? sec.
CV 142=Maximum steam chuff duration 0 sec to ? sec.
H0
Offline White Buffalo  
#25 Posted : 23 February 2018 07:21:33(UTC)
White Buffalo

United States   
Do you think the smoke unit adjustments are possible using the Uhlenbrock Intellibox or do I need to wait until I purchase the Loksound Programmer or a different control station? I did adjust the sound volume on a steam Lokomotiv (Marklin 37184) with a ESU Loksound 4.0 M4 mfx decoder. But I had to be real careful with address' 31 and 32, I wound up disabling the lights the first time I changed the 259 & 3267 CV's without setting CV 32 to 1. So I had to go back and change everything back.
Offline Ross  
#26 Posted : 23 February 2018 22:35:37(UTC)
Ross

Australia   
Hello,

A name is always good to be known by.

If you don't have a lokprogrammer you can still program a lokpilot or loksound (without sound projects) decoder by using the lokprogrammer software which is free to download.
The CV's not mentioned in the decoder manuals can still be changed. Below is a link to an article which shows you what you need to know.

LokProgrammer CV finder

This method is slower than owning a LokProgrammer but it won't stop you from programming the ESU decoders provided you don't want to use sound.

Originally Posted by: White Buffalo Go to Quoted Post
Do you think the smoke unit adjustments are possible using the Uhlenbrock Intellibox or do I need to wait until I purchase the Loksound Programmer or a different control station? I did adjust the sound volume on a steam Lokomotiv (Marklin 37184) with a ESU Loksound 4.0 M4 mfx decoder. But I had to be real careful with address' 31 and 32, I wound up disabling the lights the first time I changed the 259 & 3267 CV's without setting CV 32 to 1. So I had to go back and change everything back.

Ross
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Ross
Offline DaleSchultz  
#27 Posted : 24 February 2018 21:18:46(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
Originally Posted by: White Buffalo Go to Quoted Post
Do you think the smoke unit adjustments are possible using the Uhlenbrock Intellibox?

yes, I would expect so.

and if it is in mfX mode, here is how to handle that: https://cabin-layout.blogspot.com/2005/08/mfx-Decoder-Intellibox.html
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline White Buffalo  
#28 Posted : 25 February 2018 04:51:09(UTC)
White Buffalo

United States   
Thank you Dale & Ross. I’ll give it a try and let you know how I do.

Rich
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by White Buffalo
Offline White Buffalo  
#29 Posted : 10 March 2018 21:59:51(UTC)
White Buffalo

United States   

Thank you for posting this, adjusting these parameters worked the best for me. Adjusting the Seuthe smoke generator installed in a Märklin 37184 Dampflok.