Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline thomas buckley  
#1 Posted : 14 January 2016 19:08:38(UTC)
thomas buckley

United States   
Always dreamed of a catenary system in my layout and now am working on one. A couple of basic questions;
Do the locomotives have a switch for catenary to track?, and should the track pickup skid be removed?
My just purchased feeder mast came with two leads. The brown lead is loose. Should I solder the brown lead to The Mtrack or?.... Pretty amateur of me but want to do it right:))
Offline hennabm  
#2 Posted : 14 January 2016 20:04:22(UTC)
hennabm

Scotland   
Hi Thomas

There is a switch on the underside of most loks. On earlier ones the switch may be on the side of the lok.

You can remove the underside slider if you wish as it is not needed for catenary operation. I know this because when I was a lad my 3011 lok slider broke off and the only way I could run it was from the catenary.

The brown lead is an earth lead if needed. The normal track earth should be OK.

Look forward to some picturesWink

Mike
1957 - 1985 era
What's digital?
Offline Mark5  
#3 Posted : 14 January 2016 20:51:34(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Hello Thomas...
Happy to hear about your shared appreciation for catenary...Smile

There are many reasons why you might want to occasionally run your e-loks without catenary power.
1) If you are using analog system, you can run two cat loks on one section or circuit, one from Catenary, the other from track.
2) You may have a issue, or breakage with your catenary and you need to test or run your loco to check and repair catenary.
3) You may have issues with the loco itself, a broken pantograph, or a connection issue and you may want to test it on track without catenary.
4) Putting the loco on and off track without catenary is also easier... your staging area could be without catenary and if the switch is accessible without removing the loco from the track, then you can run it over to the catenary section and change over the switch.

IMHO Functioning with slider is also easier with digital too.

I would only remove the slider if it is not one of the older soldered on type, unless of course, you cannot stand the slider sound or it really bothers you. Resoldering may be a hassle.

Advantages of removing the slider:
1) You save on sliders (but wear down pantographs.)
2) Less hissing sound.
3) Less chance of slider issues in general, such as twisted slider getting caught on pukos (middle rail bumps)
4) Less visual distraction to some.
Frankly I have grown to find the visuals of the slider charming as it is particular to the Marklin 3 rail system and brand.

That said, I do love having our analog layout with real catenary power. It has made for great conversation about the "live wire" at train shows we take our layout to, and also fun capabilities of running one train with cat and the other steam lok say with track.
Marklin insulators for catenary are also interesting to work with.

Are you planning to use the classic Marklin catenary of the past, or new wire catenary?
If you plan to use it live, the older stuff is much more stable, easier to work with and makes better contact with the pantograph, unless you are experienced at setting up the wire type catenary.

(Please anyone correct me or add to this, because my experience as yet is only with older type catenary. I have a big box of Sommerfeldt catenary posts, masts of all kinds that I got in an amazing deal 2 years ago that I hope to use on our new layout...
but expecting it to be a challenge as I continue to read about it.)

I look forward to seeing your progress with catenary and am willing to encourage with what I know in your endeavor.
Cheers and welcome to the Forum,
Mark

Originally Posted by: hennabm Go to Quoted Post
....[.....].....You can remove the underside slider if you wish as it is not needed for catenary operation. I know this because when I was a lad my 3011 lok slider broke off and the only way I could run it was from the catenary.....[.....].....
DB DR FS NS SNCF c. 1950-65, fan of station architecture esp. from 1920-70.
In single point perspective, where do track lines meet?
Offline mike c  
#4 Posted : 14 January 2016 21:11:48(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Maerklin's catenary system was designed to operate in parallel with the regular track based circuit. The idea is that you could power some locomotives from the track and others from the catenary. Each transformer must be connected to the power lead (red) as well as to the ground (return) track. Some of the masts with power connection included a red wire attached to the metal strip on the backside of the mast and a brown wire attached to the metal base. This allowed for power supply to the catenary without having to wire a separate lead to the track.
You do not have to remove the slider. All you have to do is switch the power selector of the locomotive from rail to catenary. The selector is usually either positioned underneath the locomotive or on the side (older models). The very newest models might require you to remove the shell and change the position of jumpers on the circuit board.

One thing that you might consider is to power your Maerklin (AC) locomotives from the track and use the catenary with a DC transformer to power any DC e-loks on your layout.

You may to pay attention to the fact that when using powered catenary, that in case of accidental contact between the catenary and metal bodied locomotives, that it can cause a short circuit that can damage the external finish or internal electronics of the locomotive. This can be minimized by ensuring that you have an accessible "kill" switch for your power supplies, probably easiest done using a power bar with switch.

As Mike stated, if you do not intend to use the third rail and want to power only from the catenary, you can then opt to remove the slider from the locomotive.
Coaches with lighting and coaches and cars with taillights have to be powered from the track unless they are wired to receive electricity from the locomotive using current conducting couplers or wiring.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mike c