Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Inox  
#1 Posted : 20 July 2015 23:33:29(UTC)
Inox

United Kingdom   
Hi

I am new to this forum and unfortunately my first post is a request for help:

I have an issue with one of my locomotives and I was wondering if anyone on this forum has any knowledge of how to fix the issue.

The problem in question is with a sound decoder in a BR85 Locomotive (model number 37098), currently when I start up the engine at a crawl speed the operating sound starts as if it is about mid-way up its speed range (one rotation of the wheels has 9 exhaust strokes) though the operating sounds still increase pace with the speed of the train. All other functions on the locomotive work normally. The locomotive is unmodified and it is the same as it was when it came out of the box.

The problem seems to have been either caused by, or caused, a glitch on my controller (Mobile station 2) which somehow allowed me to operate the train with the emergency STOP active, I noticed the STOP text on the display at a glance first but failed to recognize the problem, then after a few seconds I realized that the controller was not operating properly and powered it down. When I turned the controller back on it operated normally and has had no issues since, I have been unable to work out what caused it to glitch up as it did. At the time other locomotives where on the track, but they were all unaffected. The only long term problem caused by this was the aforementioned issue with the locomotive decoder.

So please, if anyone has got any information on what the problem could be and how to solve it please post below.

Thanks
Inox
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 20 July 2015 23:48:08(UTC)
H0

Hi,
Welcome to the forum!
Originally Posted by: Inox Go to Quoted Post
one rotation of the wheels has 9 exhaust strokes
Six strokes would be prototypically correct.
Are you sure there were fewer chuffs per rotation before the incident?
Have you tried a decoder reset?
The MS2 should not be able to make permanent changes to the decoder that persist a decoder reset.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Inox  
#3 Posted : 20 July 2015 23:52:08(UTC)
Inox

United Kingdom   
The start up sound has defiantly changed, I even looked up you tube videos to compare the sounds, and my engine clearly starts up at a higher rate than it should. It literally sounds like its jumps from stationary to about 30mph, whilst the engine moves along at its lowest speed setting. At higher speeds the problem in unnoticeable, but when crawling around yards shunting the problem is obvious.

I have done several decoder resets, but they have not made a difference, the problem still persists.
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 21 July 2015 08:03:59(UTC)
H0

AFAIK the two parameters relevant for the steam sound cannot be changed with the MS2. It could be that the decoder does not reset those values (the new non-ESU mfx decoders do not reset everything, a "factory reset" is just a partial reset - I thought the sound parameters would be reset).

Maybe the sound can be improved with a CS2. Do you know someone who could help?
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Inox  
#5 Posted : 21 July 2015 21:15:54(UTC)
Inox

United Kingdom   
Unfortunately I do not know anyone who owns a Central Station 2 Controller and I have no-where near the spare finances available to purchase one. The only option I can think of is to could check in at my local shop where I normally purchase my marklin to see if they have a CS2 I could use.

If I got my hands on a CS2, what would I need to do to correct the sound function?
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 23 July 2015 10:49:57(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Inox Go to Quoted Post
If I got my hands on a CS2, what would I need to do to correct the sound function?
Put the loco on the track. After automatic registration, touch the "mfx" button to select the new loco, then touch the wrench button. Then touch the "CV" button (labelled "CV Access").
Go to the "Sounds" tab and change "Sound parm #1" and "Sound param #2".

Adjust #1 at slow speed until you get about 6 chuffs per rotation. Then adjust #2 at higher speeds. Maybe an owner of this loco can give you the factory defaults.

cs2_sound.png

The screen shot was taken with the PC version. For a real loco the params should be listed only once.

If you wanna play with the PC version, also see this thread:
https://www.marklin-user...f-CS-2--3-8-1#post475795
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage