Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline waorb  
#1 Posted : 18 March 2015 15:41:43(UTC)
waorb

Brazil   

Hello!

I'm particulary interested in the upcoming BR 24 (#36243), promised to 3Q/2015.

The description says that the smoke generator is always on, even being a lok with MFX decoder an plenty of sounds on board.

No possibility to turn the smoke off digitally, just insert the oil and go. It's supposed to be smoking until the end of the oil.
Older loks (analog ones) have this 'technology' because at that time, the concept design/engineering doesn't permit this feature.

My question, it's really reliable?

It will be "hot" all the time, or the oil is the trigger of the electric connection inside the generator?

Thanks for the coments.

Cheers,

Walter
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 18 March 2015 15:49:54(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: waorb Go to Quoted Post
The description says that the smoke generator is always on, even being a lok with MFX decoder an plenty of sounds on board.
And the function table indicates the smoke generator can be controlled digitally.

I presume it's just another copy'n'paste error by Mother M.
Smoke generator was always on with 36240, but AFAIK it can be controlled with later versions of the loco with mfx.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline waorb  
#3 Posted : 18 March 2015 19:06:55(UTC)
waorb

Brazil   

Thanks Tom!

Since the text and the functions table have this conflict, I was in doubt why Märklin create a lok without this feature even with MFX decoder... doesn't seem to worth it....

Meanwhile, both english and german websites have the same "error" in this description... Even in the catalog the text is the same...

Even if the description is correct, it's bad to the generator stay on all the time?

Cheers,

Walter

Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 18 March 2015 20:08:38(UTC)
H0

Even if the description is correct, it's bad to the generator stay on all the time?
Seuthe write: "Achtung: Wenn kein Dampfdestillat eingefüllt ist, sollten die Dampfgeneratoren - wenn möglich - abgeschaltet werden. " and "Das verlängert auf jeden Fall die Lebensdauer."

They advise to switch empty smoke generators off if possible.
They write the smoke generators can withstand the constant voltage even if they are empty, but they will last longer if you turn them off when they are empty.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline waorb  
#5 Posted : 18 March 2015 20:42:40(UTC)
waorb

Brazil   

Hello Tom!

Thanks again for the clarification. Good to know what Seuthe says 'officially'.

I don't believe that Märklin will drop on the market, these days, a lok without this control _with_ a MFX decoder...

Even so, I don't feel comfortable to let this on all the time - without oil.

Cheers,

Walter
Offline RayF  
#6 Posted : 21 March 2015 10:28:49(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   

Hello Tom!

Thanks again for the clarification. Good to know what Seuthe says 'officially'.

I don't believe that Märklin will drop on the market, these days, a lok without this control _with_ a MFX decoder...

Even so, I don't feel comfortable to let this on all the time - without oil.

Cheers,

Walter

The worst that could happen is that the coil in the smoke generator will blow and it will no longer work. If you're not using the smoke anyway it's no great loss....
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline waorb  
#7 Posted : 23 March 2015 13:31:49(UTC)
waorb

Brazil   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
The worst that could happen is that the coil in the smoke generator will blow and it will no longer work. If you're not using the smoke anyway it's no great loss....

I agree with you Ray, unfortunately in Brazil it's very difficult even exchange parts (need to send it to Germany), or buy a new one (need a traveller to/from Germany). The last option, send by mail from overseas, it's a pain... 60% of import duties plus various taxes, and minimum of 2 or 3 months to arrive... Crying

So, we need to take care a lot of the parts we have...

Cheers,

Walter
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by waorb
Offline H0  
#8 Posted : 23 March 2015 14:04:54(UTC)
H0

The loco comes without smoke generator. Don't install a smoke generator if you don't need smoke at all.
Don't forget to order a smoke generator if you want smoke.

Most likely the smoke generator can be controlled digitally.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline NZMarklinist  
#9 Posted : 05 April 2015 08:50:42(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Hello Walter,

The Marklin description in the product database : http://www.maerklin.de/p...SetNew=1&bShowLogo=0
(you might have to type in 36243 Wink) has the "Smoke Generator Contact as a switchable function in the normal Marklin no 1 position (No1 makes it available to analogue users) Wink
so I would be fairly confident in ordering a 36243 and a 72270 Marklin Smoke unit, (or a Seuthe #20 smoke unit.)
To save $$$ order Suethe E20 then it comes without the accessories, even order two, you'll use it somewhere in the end Woot

If a list member has a 36242 which is the Wagner smoke deflector version of 2013 with MFX decoder and switchable smoke,, they may like to confirm this feature ??????

If it were not switchable then a Seuthe #24 would do the trick.

I bought 36241 off ebay a few years ago at a good price Wink because I prefer the Witte smoke deflectors on this model ThumpUp

I have it on my short list for a digital upgrade to full sounds with switchable smoke function, and I bought it with this in mind !

It is funny how if a Marklin Model's specification doesn't exactly suit you, if you wait a year or five, maybe eight or ten, they will reproduce it with a better suite of decoder functions at least ! Wink

see; https://www.marklin-user...14-11801.aspx#post486364

Edited by user 07 April 2015 11:22:27(UTC)  | Reason: correct Seuthe part number

Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by NZMarklinist
Offline H0  
#10 Posted : 05 April 2015 09:07:01(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: NZMarklinist Go to Quoted Post
If it were not switchable then a Seuthe #21 would do the trick.
#24, not #21.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Goofy  
#11 Posted : 05 April 2015 09:51:51(UTC)
Goofy

Hello!

I'm particulary interested in the upcoming BR 24 (#36243), promised to 3Q/2015.

No possibility to turn the smoke off digitally, just insert the oil and go. It's supposed to be smoking until the end of the oil.
Older loks (analog ones) have this 'technology' because at that time, the concept design/engineering doesn't permit this feature.

My question, it's really reliable?

It will be "hot" all the time, or the oil is the trigger of the electric connection inside the generator?

Thanks for the coments.

Cheers,

Walter

Hello!
It seems strange about smoke generator permanent on,when it´s an mfx decoder and like others steam locomotive they do have digital functions off/on.
I believe it´s misprints of Märklin,because they show up with an diagram of digital functions and it stand smoke as digital function.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline NZMarklinist  
#12 Posted : 07 April 2015 10:54:57(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: NZMarklinist Go to Quoted Post
If it were not switchable then a Seuthe #21 would do the trick.
#24, not #21.

Correct Tom, well spotted, apologies to Walter Wink
Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by NZMarklinist