Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Share
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Ken Mitchell  
#1 Posted : 24 February 2015 10:43:58(UTC)
Ken Mitchell

Australia   
Joined: 06/07/2014(UTC)
Posts: 67
Location: Berry, NSW
Hi folks, i am finishing of a N scale layout, practice run, for our loungeroom which is 75 cm (2' 6") high, perfect for my eye level from my arm chair whilst drinking the morning coffee and 2 1/2 year old grandson to stand and watch the running trains.

Currently planning a m track vintage layout, pre 70's, with 3 x 5 m area available and looking at a T shaped baseboard, so i can reach all areas of the layout without too much difficulty. I have recently read that the recommended baseboard height is 42" minimum, 48" recommended. Not sure that will work with my grandchildren not 4' high yet. I am planning about 90 to 100 cm.

What are the forum's thoughts?

Regards

Ken from Berry, NSW
Offline Tom Jessop  
#2 Posted : 24 February 2015 11:12:13(UTC)
Tom Jessop

Australia   
Joined: 14/12/2002(UTC)
Posts: 791
Location: Newcastle NSW Australia


I have my base level at 900 mm , another storage area at 400mm & possibly a branch line at about 1200mm above floor level .


Cheers Tom in Oz
Offline MalinAC  
#3 Posted : 24 February 2015 12:27:04(UTC)
MalinAC

Ireland   
Joined: 29/05/2014(UTC)
Posts: 839
Location: DONEGAL, CARNDONAGH
I dont think there can be a set height because people are all different heights. Some say it should be at eye level as it gives a more realistic view. Others like to look down at the trains. Then if you have to build to suit childern its different again. Also if there are more than one level which level gets the best viewing position. Are you going to sit or stand when viewing etc.The best thing is to build to the height you are comfortable with. Take care and happy building. Eddie BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin
Offline RayF  
#4 Posted : 24 February 2015 12:50:29(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Joined: 14/03/2005(UTC)
Posts: 15,770
Location: Gibraltar, Europe
I agree with Eddie.

The ideal height depends on what is important for you. A layout set at 48 inches is unlikely to be right if you use a wheelchair or prefer watching your trains while sitting. On the other hand if your layout is too low it becomes impossible to work on the wiring underneath.

I chose a height which is just enough to clear my head when I'm stting on the floor under it. It worked out to be about 80cm, which meant I could use standard tall table legs from my local DIY store. The height was good enough for my then 8 year old son to see over, and comfortable for viewing from a chair.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Ken Mitchell  
#5 Posted : 24 February 2015 15:13:18(UTC)
Ken Mitchell

Australia   
Joined: 06/07/2014(UTC)
Posts: 67
Location: Berry, NSW
Originally Posted by: Tom Jessop Go to Quoted Post


I have my base level at 900 mm , another storage area at 400mm & possibly a branch line at about 1200mm above floor level .


Cheers Tom in Oz


Thankyou Tom, my 900 to 1000 mm is about right. My wife thinks it should be lower so she can get to the back for scenary work. The layout is a joint effort. Regards Ken.
Offline Ken Mitchell  
#6 Posted : 24 February 2015 15:15:16(UTC)
Ken Mitchell

Australia   
Joined: 06/07/2014(UTC)
Posts: 67
Location: Berry, NSW
Originally Posted by: MalinAC Go to Quoted Post
I dont think there can be a set height because people are all different heights. Some say it should be at eye level as it gives a more realistic view. Others like to look down at the trains. Then if you have to build to suit childern its different again. Also if there are more than one level which level gets the best viewing position. Are you going to sit or stand when viewing etc.The best thing is to build to the height you are comfortable with. Take care and happy building. Eddie BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin


Thankyou Eddie, sound points for consideration. Regards Ken.
Offline Ken Mitchell  
#7 Posted : 24 February 2015 15:18:16(UTC)
Ken Mitchell

Australia   
Joined: 06/07/2014(UTC)
Posts: 67
Location: Berry, NSW
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
I agree with Eddie.

The ideal height depends on what is important for you. A layout set at 48 inches is unlikely to be right if you use a wheelchair or prefer watching your trains while sitting. On the other hand if your layout is too low it becomes impossible to work on the wiring underneath.

I chose a height which is just enough to clear my head when I'm stting on the floor under it. It worked out to be about 80cm, which meant I could use standard tall table legs from my local DIY store. The height was good enough for my then 8 year old son to see over, and comfortable for viewing from a chair.


Hello Ray, thankyou for your thoughts. 80 cm, this is what my wife is suggesting. I am a watcher, prefer to sit and watch the engines running around whilst coffee in hand. Regards Ken
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Ken Mitchell
Offline xxup  
#8 Posted : 24 February 2015 22:29:27(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Joined: 15/03/2003(UTC)
Posts: 9,225
Location: Australia
When Miss 15 was Miss 4, we built the layout 600mm off the floor so that she could reach over and play with the cars and crane on the layout.. 600mm also made it easy to lie under the table to do the wiring etc.. There are a couple of old posts about layout heights and children.

https://www.marklin-users.net/forum/yaf_postst1766_xxup---Layout-Pictures---XXUP-and-Miss-5.aspx

https://www.marklin-users.net/forum/yaf_postst1732_Layout-and-children.aspx
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by xxup
Offline Ken Mitchell  
#9 Posted : 25 February 2015 14:26:05(UTC)
Ken Mitchell

Australia   
Joined: 06/07/2014(UTC)
Posts: 67
Location: Berry, NSW
Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post
When Miss 15 was Miss 4, we built the layout 600mm off the floor so that she could reach over and play with the cars and crane on the layout.. 600mm also made it easy to lie under the table to do the wiring etc.. There are a couple of old posts about layout heights and children.

https://www.marklin-users.net/forum/yaf_postst1766_xxup---Layout-Pictures---XXUP-and-Miss-5.aspx

https://www.marklin-users.net/forum/yaf_postst1732_Layout-and-children.aspx


Hello Adrian,

Thankyou for your thoughts and the links, wonderful pictures. i am slowly increasing access to my n scale layout for mr 2 1/2, a head strong young lad now living with us with mum, dad and miss soon to be 1. Our daughter has moved back, with family in tow for a while, into our home about 6 weeks ago. i have a cheap bachmann oval on a movable base board with thomas and friends as a introduction to the trains. Has been enjoyable.

The new layout for my marklin HO has about 4 m x 2 m to play with, thinking it will need to be on wheels so i can get around it for building and ongoing maintenance.

Anyway, appreciate your comments re heights and will take then on board, no pun... Intended. Regards Ken
Users browsing this topic
OceanSpiders 2.0
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

| Powered by YAF.NET | YAF.NET © 2003-2021, Yet Another Forum.NET
This page was generated in 0.448 seconds.