Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Hannu  
#1 Posted : 24 September 2004 13:13:18(UTC)
Hannu

I will get two children in this year. Off course they do not interact with Märklin stuff in two or three years, but after that they will certainly be <u>very</u> interested about model railroads. At least if they inherit their father's mind Smile.

I can remember when my father told to my mother that "Hannu wants to play with railroads" and he took tracks and locos from cabinet. I was maybe about 4-5 years old. Then he built a small layout on floor and told to me "I make this first, you can drive after layout is completed". Then I could drive with intensive supervising. Off course strict supervising was not very funny then, but thanks to that I have now my fathers old stuff in relatively good condition.

What kind of solutions do you have to prevent children damages? Large permanent layout can not be packed in boxes when I stop playing. My layout room will be in such place, that it is possible, but little impractical, to keep room's doors locked. Should I install layout to high (1 m or even more) or can children be teached to stay away from layout when I am not supervising or play without high damage risk?
Offline xxup  
#2 Posted : 24 September 2004 13:55:53(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Miss 5 and I have a room. She has been playing with the trains since she was miss 3. She finds the start, stop and reverse easy to operate for locos, but has never caught on with the turnout operation. When she was younger she used to move the train so that it would stop near her. Then the loco got a very gentle pat before she moved it off again! The other favoutite of Miss 5 is the electric crane and the HO cars. As Miss 3, a few of the cars lost wheels when she pressed down too hard, but her fine motor skills have improved greatly since then and she really enjoys the modest road system.

Miss 5 understands that electricity is dangerous and that dad or mum must be with her when she plays with the trains.

My view is that if something gets broken during play, then it is okay. Trains will never be more important than Miss 5 or her mum (the finance director). If I ever have enough money to own a platinum crocodile, then I may limit Miss 5's access, otherwise she gets to play with almost everything..

Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline Lars Westerlind  
#3 Posted : 24 September 2004 14:37:35(UTC)
Lars Westerlind

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Hannu

What kind of solutions do you have to prevent children damages? Large permanent layout can not be packed in boxes when I stop playing. My layout room will be in such place, that it is possible, but little impractical, to keep room's doors locked. Should I install layout to high (1 m or even more) or can children be teached to stay away from layout when I am not supervising or play without high damage risk?

Most important to keep loose parts, a starter set and possibly more, suitable for childrens play. Metal cars if possible, and not the finest steamers. With three girl, my problem has not been that they play to much with daddys things. But it happens with visitors; so it might be a good idea to have the room locked anyway. But I agree with Adrian; children are more important than trains; if that doesn't count for all your trains, I would pack thoose particular items away when you are not present.

/Lars
Offline verheyen  
#4 Posted : 24 September 2004 15:07:00(UTC)
verheyen

My feeling is that the sooner children are introduced to a layout, or trains in general, the better. I involved my then barely 2-1/2 year old in the construction of my first layout taking her to the lumberyard to get wood and screws. She got to sort the screws and later help by making the papers we used to scenic with.

By the time I started building the next layout she wanted to get more involved and actually play on the layout too. That was at age 4. From the beginning she would grab under/through/over the catenary to move some of the Preiserlings, animals, and cars around. That started causing problems, so what I did was establish areas she could play in. We redecorated two areas together and I gave her her own Preiserlings, animals, and cars. A trip to the Modellbahnmesse in Köln (2002)got her "family" a home in the way of a kit she assembled partially at the Messe and finished at home, mostly. She would then ask that I transport her livestock/people/car to her other area and back again. She was also allowed to handle my wife's z-gauge trains and was very good about it being able to rerail the 2 axle cars easily.

UserPostedImage

On out current layout, she once again helped in the construction and landscaping. She also has her area again. Scenery is kept in line with everything else, and no concessions are made for age. If something breaks, I'll fix it, but to date that hasn't been an issue. There are more pictures of her area on my layout pages. URL http://web.syr.edu/~pdverhey/eisenbahn/index.shtml

All that said, when other kids are around she lapses and I have to be more careful. What I have considered, but won't because it doesn't happen that often, is putting up clear plexiglass shields in front of those areas that can be reached to keep fingers back. It would be easy enough to do, but a nuisance to put up and take down. I wouldn't want to play by myself with it in place.

In terms of layout height, make if comfortable for you to work on and enjoy. Kids are very resourceful and will find most anything to stand on. Get them something safe (you don't want them to fall and crash onto the layout...) and you'll be fine.

In terms of handling items, I've let her pick up most anything. The only problem are the big steam locomotives with the tenders coupled on. She still hasn't quite gotten that one needs to hold the part with the boiler AND the tender, but we're working on it.

Remember, ultimately they're toys, albeit expensive one. Most kids will rise to the occasion and be responsible. They'll pick up on our neverousness, something which can cause incidents. Just be cool and be with them when they/you want to play. They won't always be interested, but at least it will be a positive experience.

This topic was also discussed a while back but I couldn't find the thread in the archive. Not enough coffee yet.

Peter

Offline john black  
#5 Posted : 24 September 2004 15:34:04(UTC)
john black

United States   
Quote:
<br />What kind of solutions do you have to prevent children damages?

Hi Hannu, all:

Well, I keep that simple - just 2 rules:
1. My personal layout is in my - permanently locked - study. Access is granted only when I'm present biggrinbiggrinbiggrin
2. My little grandson will have his own stuff - to play with and to explore marklinworld [:p][:p][:p]

I think as soon as kids have learned to respect the dangers of electricity it's most important they can make their own experiences - without too much supervision Cool.
Start small - a used little steamer or diesel with 1 or 2 cars, a small blue (10VA) transformer (I'll solder red & brown permantly on it so there's no chance for connecting [:0] ports or wires with other stuff) and some good C-track will do perfectly well for the beginning and be just nice for that purpose Smile.
If something breaks (absolutely no problem with "cheap" used stuff and also quite difficult with super-sturdy M products [^] but possible, anyway), I'll show him how to fix it so he can manage it by himself next time ... [:p]
Just an example: the cute little (starter set) tank loco 3104 from my two sons' first x-mas carpet layout in 1983 was played to her grounds and banged to wall countless times ... When I dusted it off 20 years later it just needed some cleaning, a few drops of oil and a new pickup shoe for a perfect running biggrin - this one will be Enzo's first loco when he becomes 2 next year Smile

Best Regards & Congratulations
John

I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

Offline dikken  
#6 Posted : 24 September 2004 16:47:01(UTC)
dikken

My son ( now 8 years)has been joining me to my club since he was born. He couldn't keep his hands of things but after a while he was tought that he could only touch when he asked first. Then I didn't have a layout at home and the occasional temporarely layout i build only when he was not there
As it was no fun for them, because they weren't allowed to touch, their interest diminished. Now my son, sometimes comes up when i'm busy and then we play together without any problem and he starts enjoying it again.

Now, I have a permanent layout on the attick. They can not enter because the hatch only opens when I get on. They can not reach to open and pull down the ladder.

Further more my attick is equiped with an alarm, auto-lock system, 10000volt , barbed wire and full of boobytraps [:o)][:o)][:o)][:o)][:o)] jsut kidding!
Dikken

Check out my site:
http://www.modelspoorhobby.be
Offline piglesias  
#7 Posted : 24 September 2004 21:45:01(UTC)
piglesias

United States   
Quote:
<br />I will get two children in this year.

First of all, CONGRATULATIONS! And good luck. I have two (3.5 & 5), they keep me extra busy. Could not imagine what it's like to have two at once.

As to the layout. Most of what you have heard is good advice. I started them early in that they could watch. I'd let them touch a button here and there. They grew accustomed to the trains as an activity to do with me. Last Christmas I bought them each a locomotive (inexpensive ones, like the 30000 and another delta tank engine). The fact that each has their own locomotive is a big deal, and so they want to play with their own. Ocasionally things do break, so I make sure that they are playing with things that I don't feel too attached to. Inexpensive cars are good (my two boys love the cars that have tractors) I let them pick a new car for their birthdays.
Funny, at the store they somehow always want the most expensive item (just like their dad), but I manage to contain them. It's very funny now listening to my 3.5-year old go through the Marklin catalog and refer to almost everything. "I want this, but it's too expensive" :-)

Again, congratulations and good luck
Pablo
Offline verheyen  
#8 Posted : 24 September 2004 23:04:23(UTC)
verheyen

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by piglesias

It's very funny now listening to my 3.5-year old go through the Marklin catalog and refer to almost everything. "I want this, but it's too expensive" :-)

Mine recognizes what I have when we watch train videos and tells me what I neeeeeeeeeeeed. I just smile, crookedly if I already have it but it just hasn't been noticed yet. This usually causes a raised eyebrow from she-who-must-be-obeyed. Anything is Z is automatically ok and assumed to be hers. It's a fun game. ;&gt;

Peter
Offline perz  
#9 Posted : 25 September 2004 01:27:40(UTC)
perz

Sweden   
My experience is that most kids are rather careful with the model railway stuff, if you only tell them to. Even small children (3-4 years or so) can be allowed to play with it. But kids are individuals, I know one or two that I wouldn't allow to come anywhere near my trains (except if their parents hold them in a strong grip, of course). When I was a kid myself and had a small Märklin layout, I also had "friends" that destroyed some of my things by purpose, so beware!

Small children have difficulties with putting the locos and cars on the track. Therefore, preferably let them play with locos that are easy to handle and that don't derail too often.
Offline Paulo  
#10 Posted : 25 September 2004 02:47:42(UTC)
Paulo

I believe that I´m the only one here with the other point of view...
Today I have 18 years and during all my life I spend some hours with my brother and father in the layout(when younger much time on the layout literaly inside it) I never had broken nothing and enjoied that time in family a lot...
I believe that all you guys should do it with your childrens and sons...
Congratulations Hannu! Smile
Paulo Almeida
Brazil
Offline rugauger  
#11 Posted : 25 September 2004 05:46:22(UTC)
rugauger

United Kingdom   
I think a combination of sensible child + sensible layout height does it, as can be seen here:
UserPostedImage
My brother (aged 3) is the sensible child in the middle, operating the signals and turnouts. I (aged 5) am the sensible child biggrin at the transformer. (Looks as if our Dad (sensible child on the left) is not enjoying his role as supervisor all that much, although we were often left to play on our own). Note the raised edge that goes all the way around the layout. I do remember it saving the trains from falling off and onto the floor on numerous occasions...

What this photo and my vague recollections tell me:
- kids like being involved and "do stuff"
- kids like having responsibility
- kids like spending time with their parents
- kids can be taught to do certain things and not to do others
- you can take certain precautions
- full-metal models are best (see layout comments below)

The layout was actually my Granddad's and was only ever put up around Christmas time. It must have been built in the late 50's to early 60's. There were three locos, a BR 81 Telex (3031), a V200 (3021) and a BR 23 (3005). "We" had one passenger train consisting of four 24cm metal coaches (4051 etc. - you know the ones) and one extremely long goods train (the BR 81 could only just pull it!). As can be seen, the relatively low number of locos didn't stop Granddad from buying a turntable... wink I remember we were not allowed to operate the turntable during certain times of day for fear of upsetting the neighbours in the adjoining apartments due to the noise the thing made! Oh, memories...

Sadly (unbelievably!), the layout and all the rolling stock were sold when my Grandma moved a few years after Granddad's death. There are some wagons in that goods train that I have never (and I mean never) seen anywhere since... [:(]

Ooops, sorry for going a bit off topic...
Richard
Offline Heine Pedersen  
#12 Posted : 25 September 2004 21:14:36(UTC)
Heine Pedersen

I thought my Z-scale layout was safely out of reach from my two year old, but I was wrong...

UserPostedImage

She just love those tiny trains... when she was just a few months old she used to crawl around on the top of my coffee table layout and watch the trains running in the table. Smile
Offline john black  
#13 Posted : 27 September 2004 11:29:22(UTC)
john black

United States   
Peter, congratulations - lovely little girl, beautyful layout Smile

John

I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...

Offline john black  
#14 Posted : 27 September 2004 11:32:13(UTC)
john black

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Heine Pedersen
<br />I thought my Z-scale layout was safely out of reach from my two year old, but I was wrong...

Heine, isn't it just nice our cute little rugrats love trains, too [:p]Smile ???!!!

John

Offline Hannu  
#15 Posted : 27 September 2004 11:35:25(UTC)
Hannu

Thank you all for very good advice. It seems that children learn quickly to play careful with trains. And model railway hobby is very good way to give time to children. But some kind of supervising is necessary or they (at least boys with their friends) start to make level crossing accidents with toy cars or something other stupid things. I remember that I was usually careful, but sometimes I did "just one test".

Maybe it will be a good idea to first give some old M tracks to children and buy them cheap locomotives and couple of open freight cars. I think that open freight cars are best for children because they can be loaded with lego-bricks, toy cars or something like that.

And when I want to some expensive stuff, I can say to wife that "childern want to ..." Smile.
Offline john black  
#16 Posted : 27 September 2004 11:43:06(UTC)
john black

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by rugauger
<br /> ... and a BR 23 (3005)
Sadly (unbelievably!), the layout and all the rolling stock were sold ...

Richard, can understand you quite well ... [xx(] Same happened to my old layout from the late 50's, and most of all it's the beautyful BR23 steamer I'm missing so much ...

Found some pictures of my two sons' carpet layout from the early 80's yesterday, will try to post them ... Smile

John

Offline john black  
#17 Posted : 27 September 2004 11:52:04(UTC)
john black

United States   
Quote:
<br />1. Maybe it will be a good idea to first give some old M tracks to children ...
2. Buy them cheap locomotives and couple of open freight cars. I think that open freight cars are best for children because they can be loaded with lego-bricks, toy cars or something like that.

Hannu:
1. Beware, that old M-track has some quite sharp edges [:0] !!! And, by the way, is far more difficult to assemble for small kids. That's why M changed to C-track ...
2. Great [:p]Smile

John

Offline Lars Westerlind  
#18 Posted : 27 September 2004 12:24:32(UTC)
Lars Westerlind

Quote:

Maybe it will be a good idea to first give some old M tracks to children and buy them cheap locomotives and couple of open freight cars. I think that open freight cars are best for children because they can be loaded with lego-bricks, toy cars or something like that.

And when I want to some expensive stuff, I can say to wife that "childern want to ..." Smile.

Good insights,
except, the M-track part. I agree with John that the children should have C-track.

There is a problem with C-track and children though. M-track has some forgiveness for geometyr cheating; C-track not. So in order to get circles and the like, the children need some help.

A hint here (for adults too): I've marked my tracks underneath with coloured labels (I used the ones used to make holes in paper stronger): red and green for R1-R2 (helps to distinguish 24130 from 24224), blue and yellow for straight: Blue is for full length tracks as 14188 and 24094, yellow for the others. Turnouts in this schema is marked green and blue. In order to match two straight tracks the number of yellow labels must be equal. This colouring also makes it possible to let the children build after a plan.

Other important items are decoupler tracks, level crossing, and possibly a TELEX loco. The important thing with a loco is not that it's cheap, but that it's metal. My first locos, I was 4 years then, are still working well. Some scratches though. Not too many axles, makes it unneccessarily diffucult, 3 or 4 fixed axles are best to start with.

Regards,
Lars
Offline john black  
#19 Posted : 27 September 2004 13:39:54(UTC)
john black

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Lars Westerlind
<br /> ... I've marked my tracks underneath with coloured labels

Lars - what a great and useful idea, many thanks for posting it [:p]Smile !!! Will do the same immediately with my grandson's C-track (it's still the "classic" carpet-layout ...)

BTW, that old 3104 tank loco from my two sons' 1983 starter set has a simple plastic body and is really nothing special (for my personal collection I just love those heavy metal engines [:p]) but that little steamer has my deepest respect. Despite all their attempts (including occasional bangs to the wall [:0]) they've never managed to break - let alone destroy - it. I think as a first one it will serve quite well my little grandson, too biggrinbiggrinbiggrin.
But perhaps M locos were built stronger in 1983 ...

John

Offline john black  
#20 Posted : 21 March 2005 11:50:27(UTC)
john black

United States   
Hi all Smile:

At his latest visit this Saturday our little Grandson Enzo (1,5 years now) again was so excited about "The Choo-Choo" that I gave it a try and finally let him control one of my layout's analog transformers - no problem at all! Well, his preferred settings are "FULL THROTTLE" and "OFF" - Ron knows what I mean biggrinbiggrinbiggrin
Needless to say - they returned home with a small tank loco, some 2-axle cars, C-track plus transformer (from the train box I've already collected for him during the last year). Now he can start playing at home with his Daddy as fireman & personal supervisor [:p]

John

Offline hmsfix  
#21 Posted : 21 March 2005 14:46:17(UTC)
hmsfix

Hi

It's a large pleasure to see children play with the trains. They learn very fast to handle the loks and waggons, and develop ideas that adults never would have. I remember the first time my nephew (10 or so) discovered my layout. We then played "James Bond hunts Dr. No" the whole afternoon (Don't know where he had seen that film. Might it be that they teach that stuff in primary schools ?). Dr. No travelled in a 1st class IC car, pulled by a BR 24. This was my job. My nephew followed with the F7, pulling a train with secret service agents, atom bombs made of bottle corks, and plasic US cavallerie soldiers. That game started as a simple speed race as, but when my nephew got better skills handling the train, he invented more and more fantasyful situations, exploiting all the possibilities of the trains: shunting, crane operation etc.

I am convinced that model railroading is one of the most exciting and pedagogic games where children develop their skills. What the models concerns, I think coloured and easy-to-handle ones are most interesting in the first years, a good detailing has no value in that period. When I was in that age, I enjoyed most my litte red E 63 shunter that was easy to put on the rails of my father's layout. I used that lok also on carpet layouts that I constructed with some abundant M-tracks according to my own ideas. At some point, children also want to play with the trains unattendedly. Of course, something can break, but this is rare and some of the models are robust enough to stand excessibve adventures. But it's a good idea to knows how to repair a coupler or how to fix a lost axle.

Best Regads

Hans Martin

BTW, finally Dr. No slipped out on a banana that was lost from the yellow babana car (4505 ?) on a high steel bridge and fell down into the coal powder transport car that was at that moment just below that bridge.

Offline rschaffr  
#22 Posted : 21 March 2005 16:18:21(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:
Original by John Black:

Well, his preferred settings are "FULL THROTTLE" and "OFF" - Ron knows what I mean

Indeed I do. Don't really need a dial on the transformer, just an ON/OFF switch! Smile

Actually he (my 2 yr old grandson) has started responding to "slower", but he really doesn't like it that way and it doesn't last long.
-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/IB), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
http://www.sem-co.com/~rschaffr/trains/trains.html
Offline Eisenhower  
#23 Posted : 21 March 2005 19:00:44(UTC)
Eisenhower

Denmark   
hehe - great story about Dr. No, Hans Martin - very nice!!

I got a girl, Pernille, shes 5 now and a boy, Christian who is turning 3 next week.

They both love to play with trains and I have set my old M-tracks for their full disposal.

Both my children have all their childhood played with "Brio" (wooden tracks and trains). Actually it started out with dads old Brio which ofcause was in mint condition wink
Today their Brio collection is almost as big as daddys C-track collection - well, almost Cool

It seems like children doesnt care about fine details or smooth running characteristics as we do as adults.

As long as we do it together or after they have masterly created a super layout themselfs and daddy come and see it for approval, they are happy.

If they accidently break anything from daddys collection, which (fingers crossed) only have happend once, it is only some toys and replaceble.
My children comes above everything and then my finance director, my trains comes on 25. place as No. 3 wink

Steen
Steen
Digital | C-Track | Epoche II-IV | Railroad & Co. 7.0 Gold | IB 1 | LocoNet
Offline HueyCE  
#24 Posted : 22 March 2005 00:39:19(UTC)
HueyCE

My grandson who just turned six absolutely loves to play with my trains. I been getting him Brio stuff for two years now and he makes some really neat layouts with it. At the age of four he designed and put together the c-track Christmas layout for my house. While he still in the "Stop/Full Throttle" stage, he does understand about handling the trains gently and he gets a great thrill of placing the locomotives and rolling stock on the track. He is constantly drawing pictures to be used as landscaing for both mine and my wife's layouts, and is full of suggestions as to what we should do with our layouts. Watching him play with the trains is quite a bit of fun.

Ira
Building German Era I-II layout(Mk IIIc).UserPostedImage

Offline Seetal  
#25 Posted : 22 March 2005 07:20:30(UTC)
Seetal

Hi Hannu,

Are you having twins? Congratulations. My wife had twins about 9 months ago. You can write to me off line about it if you want.

It's late but here are a few tips. I have a 5 year old who runs the trains with me. The layout is on a carpet (nothing can fall very far). He likes train crossings and the new TELEX switcher I recently bought. I have a 6021 controller and now that he knows his numbers he can enter in and control trains himself. In fact with the new switcher I just told him "60" and he did it all himself in a flash. He used to do the full speed or off. NOw he regulates the trains very well. Even though we have carpet we do build up for a bridge, so goins slowly downhill on a curve is something he does very well now. You can also open the engines and modify their max speeds if you want.

And the babies like to watch and listen also. Now that they are crwaling they have to be in my lap or in a bouncy seat or something. But they still enjoy all the motion. But really it baby sits me longer than them.

Safety first, then give them all the responsibility you can handle. If you would be really distressed if it broke don't let them near it....there's plenty of time to loose your hair when they start dating.

Congratulations with the babies and feel free to contact me if you want to share twin stories.

John
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#26 Posted : 22 March 2005 08:43:48(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
My father is a rather involved collector, and I think he started me off right with these ideas:
1: He always took me to train events and shows- almost every weekend
2: He gave me my "own" little collection of Lionel, and later marklin junkers to beat up any way I found suitable (believe me- I got creative with them!)
3: He always let me play with his trains as well, but only under his supervision, the few times I wasn't, I managed to mangle a $1000 lionel hudson, somehow shock the hell out of myself touching electrical components of locomotives under repair, and taking exciting pieces back to my little collection for abuse! This was big trouble, but he never discouraged me from it.
I guess it worked as I'm almost 22 now and still playing with trains despite having little to no friends my age in the hobby. I've been able to put myself through college and expand my collection by building custom layouts and working at various hobby shops. I even spent a recent 4 day weekend start to organizing his trains for him (a task worthy of a seperate thread on train craziness, we found 3 3015 Crocodiles he literally forgot he had!) I guess I have to thank him for all the good times and a hobby that while not the cheapest, keeps me out of too much trouble while still having fun!
SBB Era 2-5
Offline bmcrae  
#27 Posted : 22 March 2005 20:57:30(UTC)
bmcrae

Canada   
Congratulations Hannu! My wife and I are expecting another addition this year also (only 1 though), in August. That will be child number 3 for us. During the first 2 pregnancies I joked with her....."hey what if it is twins?" Now for this pregnancy that joke does not appear so funny wink.

For both my son (5) and daughter (2) they would watch endlessly as trains are moving when they were babies. Now my son is getting a slow intro in Marklin Digital. He can control 2 loks with no problem using the 6021 but sometimes forgets which lok he is currently controlling. Best of all he knows how the STOP button works should he see something happening he didn't intend to do. This was something my father would have wished for when I was younger! Smile

In my opinion this hobby is much better than playing video games for kids. My son and I have spent endless time together creating layouts (Carpetbahn - but I use foam mats that cover the flooring they are 1/4 inch thick, interlocking, the type of soft foam that you might see at a gym where weights are stored or allowed to rest on floors, also seen in kids play areas), watching train videos and best of all is reading the M* catalog or new Insiders and MMagazines when they arrive. His list of things he 'needs' is about as long as the catalog itself!

Congratulations again Hannu, and best of luck with the twins.
Offline bmcrae  
#28 Posted : 22 March 2005 21:05:40(UTC)
bmcrae

Canada   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:I thought my Z-scale layout was safely out of reach from my two year old, but I was wrong...

Thanks Heine for that photo. It was great! biggrin As any parent can relate, kids find all kinds of ways to get done what they must! I showed the photo to my wife and we both had a good laugh. You are right, your little girl just loves those tiny trains. wink
Offline bmcrae  
#29 Posted : 22 March 2005 21:09:55(UTC)
bmcrae

Canada   
Richard, thanks for the photo of what will come in my future! It is a fore-shadowing........I see myself as the dad, just waiting for the kids to go to bed!! wink
Offline RayF  
#30 Posted : 22 March 2005 22:28:00(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Congratulations, Hannu!

I have a son who is now 18 and a daughter who is now 14, so I've come out the other side, you might say!biggrin

Both my kids have enjoyed playing trains with me from very young, although my daughter has lost a bit of interest recently, what with boys etc.Smile.

I only ever had one calamity, when my son, who was about 6 at the time, managed to get his sleeve caught on the top of my Br03 as he reached over it to point at something. The engine fell to the floor from a height of about 1m, followed by 3 tinplate coaches.

Surprisingly, the only damage was that one of the smoke deflectors was bent, and the glazing fell out of the cab windows. The coaches were not damaged at all.Cool

My son cried so much at having broken Daddy's train that no other punishment was necessary. He helped me glue the windows back in, and straighten the bent smoke deflector, and we put the train back on the track so that he could see that it was OK.Smile

I have never regretted letting my kids play with my trains. If anything, it adds to the enjoyment.

Ray
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline john black  
#31 Posted : 22 March 2005 22:50:26(UTC)
john black

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by RayPayas
<br />Surprisingly, the only damage was that one of the smoke deflectors was bent, and the glazing fell out of the cab windows. The coaches were not damaged at all Cool

That's what they call top of the line quality [^][^][^] !!!
(guess we shouldn't try such with any other brand - I just remember David Dewar's earlier experiences ...[xx(])

John

Offline steventrain  
#32 Posted : 01 April 2005 00:15:21(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Quote:
Originally posted by rugauger
<br />I think a combination of sensible child + sensible layout height does it, as can be seen here:
UserPostedImage

IS THE 1965-1970 PICTURESconfusedI GUESS IT?confused
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline john black  
#33 Posted : 04 April 2005 13:00:26(UTC)
john black

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by john black
<br />Needless to say - they returned home with a small tank loco, some 2-axle cars, C-track plus transformer (from the train box I've already collected for him during the last year)

Only 2 weeks later Son & Grandson call for more track since they're playing with the "Choo-Choo" every other day now - my "brainwashing" worked biggrinbiggrinbiggrin

John