Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Poll Question : Do you like MFX or would you prefer Marklin to go
Choice Votes Statistics
  Total 79 100%
Guests can't see poll choices and poll results. Try login or register. Guests can't vote. Try login or register.
2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline RayF  
#1 Posted : 11 April 2014 19:51:14(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Having just been burned in a PM for my defence of Marklin's policy of developing MFX technology instead of adopting DCC, I'm now wondering if I'm in a very small minority in actually liking MFX.

I would be interested to know if there are any others who feel as I do. Please answer the poll, and by all means give your reasons, but I don't want this to become another argument.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Webmaster  
#2 Posted : 11 April 2014 20:12:02(UTC)
Webmaster

Well, why should you be for or against mfx or DCC?

I myself like mfx since it's "plug'n'play", but see no reason to be against anything else since some of the modern controllers can do both mfx & DCC...

We all have our own personal preferences, and that has really nothing to do with the protocol used on tracks but rather something else...
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline biedmatt  
#3 Posted : 11 April 2014 20:20:30(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Anything MFX can do, DCC can do better. The open platform means advances are made by the input of many companies. With MFX you have the input of just one model railroad oriented company's R&D department. Many like the auto register of MFX. That feature was developed by ESU when they created MFX for Marklin. ESU has included it in their current version of DCC. With only Marklin developing MFX, it is destined to become a relic just like MM.

Edit: After reading post 9, no need to re-register with DCC.
Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline biedmatt  
#4 Posted : 11 April 2014 20:23:14(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Originally Posted by: Webmaster Go to Quoted Post
Well, why should you be for or against mfx or DCC?

A reasonable question. I am not against MFX, if you like it use it. I am against Marklin blocking DCC in their lokos in their attempt to control how I operate the lokos I buy.
Matt
Era 3
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline RayF  
#5 Posted : 11 April 2014 20:23:58(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Juhan, I take your point. I'll rephrase the question.
Ray
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline rschaffr  
#6 Posted : 11 April 2014 20:25:22(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
I am not "against" mfx. I do not use it myself but I can see why some might like it.
-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/CS3/6021Connect/60216051), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
http://www.sem-co.com/~rschaffr/trains/trains.html
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by rschaffr
H0
Offline H0  
#7 Posted : 11 April 2014 20:33:12(UTC)
H0

I found that the automatic mfx registration does not work reliably and predictably with the way I run my home layout. Since there is no mfx without automatic registration (except with Tams Easy Control), I decided to disable mfx in my controller.

I don't mind that locos by ESU, Piko, HAG, and others now support mfx beside DCC. I regret that Märklin locos do not support DCC beside mfx.

I understand that many are happy with mfx.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Webmaster  
#8 Posted : 11 April 2014 20:38:22(UTC)
Webmaster

The most ironic thing is that the original DCC was developed by Lenz for Märklin...
And then M clashed with Lenz just as they did with ESU... More "pride" than sound business practice... So Lenz offered it to other manufacturers & NMRA...
NMRA adopted the Lenz DCC protocol and now it has been developed into a more or less standard way of controlling non-Märklin, but also Märklin/Trix railroads...

Aftermarket newer Märklin mfx decoders also support DCC, but I think that still the ones that new M locos are equipped with are locked to mfx/MM as stated elsewhere...
Haven't tried DCC operation with new M locos though, so I might be wrong here...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline franciscohg  
#9 Posted : 11 April 2014 20:49:53(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
why I like Mfx?
I think because I have a CS2.......Mfx or M4 decoders are so easily managed......
Don't like that you have to 're-register a loco that haven't being used for a while....but wtf.....
Also, 16 functions are more than enough for me...
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by franciscohg
Offline Webmaster  
#10 Posted : 11 April 2014 21:04:51(UTC)
Webmaster

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
I found that the automatic mfx registration does not work reliably

I have also noticed that sometimes it fails, especially when you put a new unknown loco on the track before the CS(2) has booted
up into operating mode, but then I delete it and let the CS(2) re-register it and it usually goes fine.
However, with the older CS1 I sometimes had problems with mfx locs and had to register them with another controller - MS1 on a separate track
or doing MM with IB before they could be re-recognized by the CS1... The early CS1 software did not support deleting locos from the "loco list" in a proper way...
Offline H0  
#11 Posted : 11 April 2014 21:10:36(UTC)
H0

Meanwhile, CS2, MS2, and even CS1 reloaded have functions that search for mfx locos that failed to register automatically.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Goofy  
#12 Posted : 11 April 2014 21:10:47(UTC)
Goofy

I did voted DCC,since it´s better way to get functions with speed limit(to choise).
In fact i prefer better digital system that works in all function without to have upgrade and meet the bugs!
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline Janne75  
#13 Posted : 11 April 2014 21:46:14(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Hi,

I voted for " I want Marklin to follow both systems equally". I use myself mfx, but in my opinion it is not good practise to disable DCC protocol by locking the decoder. Many users wants to use DCC anyway, so why to limit this possibility by locking this protocol? I am happy with mfx and I use CS2 to control my trains Smile .

Janne
Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Janne75
Offline kbvrod  
#14 Posted : 11 April 2014 23:09:32(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
Having just been burned in a PM for my defence of Marklin's policy of developing MFX technology instead of adopting DCC, I'm now wondering if I'm in a very small minority in actually liking MFX.

I would be interested to know if there are any others who feel as I do. Please answer the poll, and by all means give your reasons, but I don't want this to become another argument.

Hi Ray,all,
It is well know I am the biggest @-#ole on this forum!Now, that is settled,...Laugh
As Obi-wan said Lenz helped M with digital and went to the NMRA to declared it as the DCC protocol.It was rejected and we have MM/mfx vs DCC today.At least in this forum,...BigGrin
If our friends like mfx and our happy with it,then good.Yet why have have DCC in the decoders and TRIX,which is DCC in theirs?
My MS can run both,...

Dr D

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kbvrod
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#15 Posted : 12 April 2014 00:09:31(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I edited the poll and added another option around liking DCC and enabled the ability to vote for multiple items, simply because I'm happy to be able to use both protocols where needed.

My controllers (CS2, CS1R and Ecos) are set to auto detect protocols, so they will automatically use mFX if a loco supports it. As many of my locos are mFX, that is what gets used. I think I only have 2 locos that are DCC (both non Marklin), and as I have Marklin braking modules on my layout, I will most likely use those locos with MM instead.

I like the auto registration of mFX locos, and as yet I haven't run into issues with having to re-register any of them. Maybe mFX runs better in the upside down Way Down Under places of the earth. DCC auto registration is practically useless for me as I only have one loco that supports it, but I can confirm that it does work well.

Originally Posted by: biedmatt Go to Quoted Post
I am against Marklin blocking DCC in their lokos in their attempt to control how I operate the lokos I buy.

Thankfully Marklin does not do this with their 1 Gauge locos. Our club's large G1 layout uses Intelliboxes as controllers, and all locos including mine are run with DCC.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline biedmatt  
#16 Posted : 12 April 2014 00:16:32(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
I wonder if Trix's decoders offer auto registration in DCC mode? Or is this a feature Marklin/Trix only support in MFX.

Like Tom, I had trouble with registrations and then the wait to re-register lokos that the control knew about but couldn't seem to remember. I tried MFX, trust me, I wanted it to work to my satisfaction. I could have spent the ESU decoder money some place else. But in the end, MFX just beat me down and I gave up.
Matt
Era 3
Offline kimballthurlow  
#17 Posted : 12 April 2014 01:01:04(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi Ray,

I use MFX on my home Marklin layout, DCC on my club layout (2 rail), and DC analogue on both an old Hornby Dublo layout, and another club (2 rail).

I use them all with equal satisfaction.

I believe MFX is a superior system (thanks Marklin) due it its auto-registration, which causes me no more problems than I have with my other toys.

What a marketing coup it will be for Marklin, the day they suddenly re-release all their 3 rail locs with DCC enabled.
All those people who did not purchase before, or who modified their locos, will be able to spend up on new DCC Marklin locos.
Maybe that will provide new Marklin customers, and perhaps increased spending from existing customers!

The reality is their major market is Western Europe, who generally follow Marklin without blinking.
Hard working Europeans do not have time to worry about what system is "best", they just purchase what they are used to.

By the way, I did not vote, because there is no category that suits my situation.

regards
Kimball

Edited by user 15 April 2014 01:22:21(UTC)  | Reason: Deleted extraneous icons which did not contribute to the sense of the post.

HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline RayF  
#18 Posted : 12 April 2014 01:12:01(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
I edited the poll and added another option around liking DCC and enabled the ability to vote for multiple items, simply because I'm happy to be able to use both protocols where needed.

My controllers (CS2, CS1R and Ecos) are set to auto detect protocols, so they will automatically use mFX if a loco supports it. As many of my locos are mFX, that is what gets used. I think I only have 2 locos that are DCC (both non Marklin), and as I have Marklin braking modules on my layout, I will most likely use those locos with MM instead.

I like the auto registration of mFX locos, and as yet I haven't run into issues with having to re-register any of them. Maybe mFX runs better in the upside down Way Down Under places of the earth. DCC auto registration is practically useless for me as I only have one loco that supports it, but I can confirm that it does work well.

I am against Marklin blocking DCC in their lokos in their attempt to control how I operate the lokos I buy.

Thankfully Marklin does not do this with their 1 Gauge locos. Our club's large G1 layout uses Intelliboxes as controllers, and all locos including mine are run with DCC.

David, you sort of changed the point of my poll, which is about MFX and whether you like it, or prefer DCC. If you prefer DCC then option 2 is your response. Now there are two options for those who prefer DCC, or have I got it wrong? I also don't think it's a good idea to allow voting for multiple options. They are mutually exclusive by design.

Oh well, you're the moderator. I guess you can do as you please....
Ray
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#19 Posted : 12 April 2014 01:22:46(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
If you prefer DCC then option 2 is your response.

No, it isn't my option because I don't dislike mFX. I like (or love if that describes it better) the auto registration feature of mFX, which means I don't have to manually set up all the functions in my controller like I would for DCC locos without auto registration (none of my G1 locos have DCC auto registration). mFX is my preferred protocol, as my locos are 99% Marklin. I run my G1 locos with mFX when I'm at home.

I also like the fact that I can run my G1 locos in DCC mode on our club's G1 layout, and that I can use more than 4 functions, unlike MM (which on some layouts I visit I have to run with as the owner only has a 6021 controller), and that the locos run just as well as they would with mFX.

The modified poll allows you to find those who dislike mFX and prefer DCC, and those who don't mind using either protocol.

Edited by user 12 April 2014 08:04:13(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline biedmatt  
#20 Posted : 12 April 2014 02:11:22(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Post deleted by moderator.
Please watch your language, no dirty words and no personal attacks please !!!

Edited by moderator 12 April 2014 11:57:35(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Matt
Era 3
Offline rbw993  
#21 Posted : 12 April 2014 03:24:49(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
There should be another option. "I use both". Which I do for different applications.

Roger
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#22 Posted : 12 April 2014 04:01:26(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: rbw993 Go to Quoted Post
There should be another option. "I use both". Which I do for different applications.

The poll is now multi choice, which means you can vote for both options #1 and #6.
Offline river6109  
#23 Posted : 12 April 2014 04:37:48(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
the reason I don't like MFX it is and was a closed protocol, the concept itself isn't the reason ESU introduced M4 I assume to counter act MFX with an open protocol, the latest decoders From ESU have RailComPlus another improved version of MFX or M4.
the interesting part is running my locos with an ECoS and using Märklin braking modules, the latest ESU decoders (Märklin locos) can be run on DCC with the ability to operate the Märklin braking modules older decoders e.g. V 3 and 3.5 so far I've established it, don't work under DCC incorporating the Märklin braking module but work within the Märklin protocol under decoder numbers from 1- 255.
In a nutshell, I do like the automatic registration system but not mfx but as one can tell I had to make choices not because I wanted but I had to.
I didn't vote either because none of the options put me into any of the categories.
maybe someone else can explain or it may not be an issue because of the closed MFX protocol but with ESU RailcomPlus every time you change a CV the decoder re-registers itself and unless you pre-program all data into the decoder before hand the decoder comes up blank such as a sound decoder.
another issue could be if you don't use a mobile station 1 or CS 1,2,3 all the sound slot icons which are predetermined under the MFX protocol can't be changed, if I would like to increase or decrease the brightness of lights, increase the telex off duration, change Aux functions or add them to another function outlet with other words customize your Aux or sound slot functions. increase or decrease the voltage input for a smoke generator while the loco is idle or running, can you change the Swiss light configurations when running more than one loco ?, can you increase or decrease the sound volume ?

asking a question about do you like MFX technology, its like asking do you like a house without doors, you can't get in to enjoy the inside or you have a refrigerator which runs constantly and automatically at 0°C, I like my meat at 0°c my vegies at 2 °C and everything else at 4°C, I can have automatic window roller shutters the technology works with electricity only, so if there is a power cut and an unforeseen fire in the house suddenly this technology becomes obsolete, what does technology mean when it comes to user friendly applications ? Märklin MFX has its good points but I feel the restrictions outweigh the technology which is inside the decoder but you don't have access to it and when it comes to automatic registrations e.g. M4 or RailComPlus, these are better and consumer friendly options for me.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline foumaro  
#24 Posted : 12 April 2014 05:23:55(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
I am not against anything i want all of us to be free to choose everything we want.I do not want marklin made trains like thalys.Products like this, even with mfx or dcc or anything else are just unacceptable for me.So i want reability and high quality for all products companies produse.
Offline kimballthurlow  
#25 Posted : 12 April 2014 06:30:46(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Post deleted by moderater because it's referring to deleted post #20

Edited by moderator 12 April 2014 13:15:05(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline H0  
#26 Posted : 12 April 2014 09:05:25(UTC)
H0

I think I only have 2 locos that are DCC (both non Marklin), and as I have Marklin braking modules on my layout, I will most likely use those locos with MM instead.
There are MM braking modules that work with MM only (neither mfx nor DCC) and there are DC braking modules.
The Märklin modules are DC braking modules and at least ESU decoders can be configured to work with DC braking modules. No need to avoid DCC in order to use such braking modules.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline H0  
#27 Posted : 12 April 2014 09:41:20(UTC)
H0

I like DCC. But I wonder if we all mean the same when we say DCC.
Märklin write about the CS2: "Now with complete DCC functionality too."

DCC supports 16384 functions per loco address, the CS2 supports 16 functions per loco address only. Is that complete?
To me it looks as if they treat DCC like a step child. The CV programming with the CS2 is very uncomfortable and does not support paged CVs (paged CVs are part of the NMRA specification and ESU use them with the V4 decoders).

Originally Posted by: Mä Go to Quoted Post
The digital protocol with the most possibilities is the highest
order digital protocol. The sequence of digital protocols in
descending order is:
Priority 1: mfx
Priority 2: DCC
Priority 3: fx (MM)
mfx has the highest priority, DCC is a step child and DCC is not allowed to shine brighter than mfx.

The CS 60212 allows you to choose between Motorola 14, Motorola 27, and Motorola 28 to get the best performance for MM locos. No choice with MS2 or CS2.

I bought an Intellibox before the Central Station 60212 was even announced. I had DCC locos before I bought my first mfx locos.
While I had an Intellibox and a CS1, I used the CS1 for mfx and MM programming only but used the Intellibox for DCC programming and to run the layout.
Now I have CS1 reloaded and Intellibox and the CS1R controls the layout. For years I used MM, DCC and mfx. About one year ago I was bored by the unreliability of mfx and turned it off.
DCC CV programming is much more comfortable with Intellibox and CS1R than with CS2. I mostly use the Intellibox because a) boot time is only few seconds and b) a physical keyboard is a bit quicker than tapping on the screen.
I used DDW before I bought the Intellibox, but was bored by the boot time. Now I have to live with the boot time of the CS1R (but it's worth it because of the comfortable UI).
CS1 became much faster with version 3.0.1. They say version 4.0 makes it faster again, but I haven't tried it yet.

Long story short: CS2 users cannot use all advantages of DCC (Railcom and Railcom+ are additions for DCC). It's obvious that CS2 users do not prefer DCC (unless they got bored by the unreliability of the automatic registration and the re-registrations). For locos that support DCC and MM they should use DCC.

Märklin 1 gauge locos support mfx and DCC, Trix H0 locos support mfx and DCC - no DCC for Märklin H0 locos.

Many current Märklin locos allow up to 16 functions to be used even with the CU 6021. They do not advertise this, they do not even document this. They want to sell the CS2. They might sell more locos to CU 6021 owners if those knew how many functions they could use ...

Why support the system of a rival? ESU makes an adaptor that allows LocoNet devices to be used with ECoS and CS1R. They get money for the adaptor, but may lose money for controllers and accessories. Or maybe sell ECoS to people who already have many LocoNet accessories.
The CS2 CAN bus is a closed system, the CS1/ECoS CAN bus is a closed system - I'd avoid both when there are open standards I can use alternatively.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline RayF  
#28 Posted : 12 April 2014 10:02:07(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
OK, the poll has been open for a while now and we are seeing a pattern emerging.

It seems that more people like MFX than those who dislike it, and the original intention of the poll was to establish whether this was true. The reasons for liking MFX seem to centre on the advantages of auto-registration, and the reasons against seem to be related to a certain unreliability in the registration process. There is also a reluctance to support a "closed" protocol from some members.

Additionally, we are seeing that there is a significant proportion who use both protocols and would like DCC to be enabled in HO Marklin locos too. DCC is already available in Trix and Gauge One and in all current MFX controllers and replacement decoders.

If anyone disagrees with my findings please post on this topic, with your own interpretation. (No PMs to me please)
Ray
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline kimballthurlow  
#29 Posted : 12 April 2014 12:02:34(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   

Märklin 1 gauge locos support mfx and DCC, Trix H0 locos support mfx and DCC - no DCC for Märklin H0 locos.

Hi Tom,

You have highlighted the point I raised in my previous post, about the possibility of Marklin's long term marketing plans.
I have qualifications in this area, and I can see from afar, that Marklin could (I am not saying should) one day re-release some or any of their current MFX loco offerings, with DCC enabled.
This makes sense to me from a business point of view.

I have worked for a multi-national with industrial electronics -they lock functions on one model, unlock them on a more expensive one.
Apple do it, Panasonic do it, Sony does it - lock up functions, until one day they release a "new model" with those functions enabled.
Of course, you may pay more, or find the item more desirable! One way or the other, the consumer gets to pay.

regards
Kimball
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline river6109  
#30 Posted : 12 April 2014 12:18:21(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
30 out of 6153 members I don't think you get a seat on this forum to get to the truth not with 30 votes but good luck with your endeavour. your intention of who is right seems to overtake the meaning of MFX technology and what it offers and why wouldn't you support a vote and options from a viewpoint, when you've already bought locos none other than MFX. no one is objecting to your logic if it makes you happy I hope you have pleasant dreams about your hidden mfx technology. so what was the point again of this whole exercise, does this mean if you're right the MFX technology is now better than before or 2 days ago, what does it all mean and is it really so important, what do I know about MFX technology ? I wouldn't know where to start, the only think I know, so they tell me, it registers a decoder automatically or is this a lie or is it true ?
How can I interpretate a technology I don't know how it works and how can I therefore disagree with your finding and a 30 vote outcome.

Juhan, why is his poll not using MFX technology = automatic registration or are the improvements still ongoing

Ray you are winner all the way, a self established and portrayed topic and who could or would disagree with that,

John
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#31 Posted : 12 April 2014 12:49:22(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I think you're missing the point John......

I realise that you have strong opinions regarding mFX, but for many of us it works, and does what it says and I think that was what Ray was interested in finding out!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline biedmatt  
#32 Posted : 12 April 2014 12:53:44(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
I am not sure how a conclusion can be determined with such a convoluted series of questions, both before and after David changed the pole. I understood Ray's quest as trying to determine the popularity of DCC. From that desire I assumed he wanted to know if Marklin might increase sales by unlocking DCC in their decoders. The only way I can see an answer to those questions would have been to make it a straight up pole, DCC or MFX. I know MFX will garner more votes, this is a site devoted to Marklin, but the pole might indicate a strong desire for DCC that Marklin may be able to capitalize on with increased sales.
Matt
Era 3
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline biedmatt  
#33 Posted : 12 April 2014 13:05:47(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post
Now now Matt ... inappropriate language for a forum. I don't know what cutsie means....
And your response reveals more about your character, than my original post (in context) says about mine.

regards
Kimball

Hello Kimball, let me help. Sarcasm in a discussion shows contempt, not regards for the participants in the discussion.

Webster's:
sar·casm noun \ˈsär-ˌka-zəm\
: the use of words that mean the opposite of what you really want to say especially in order to insult someone (my emphasis, Webster's placed it before the following two), to show irritation, or to be funny

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sarcasm
Matt
Era 3
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline TimR  
#34 Posted : 12 April 2014 13:14:53(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
There is also a reluctance to support a "closed" protocol from some members.

MFX in itself is not the problem.
True, we like to say, that it is very easy to use. Note that I generally have very little issue with the protocol itself.
And we often compared its features to DCC.

But the main problem with MFX is caused by the deep fundamental Marklin vision itself....

"Marklin always know how to provide best for you! Either you come with us, or hit the highway!"

Marklin had already decided from the start that whatever they're offering is perfect,
and if we have issues with this way of thinking, forget it!
They will unlikely to change the way they're doing business.
It also showed that they didn't learn a single thing from their bankruptcy.

But such attitude is hubris, and I wouldn't be surprised if their arrogance would eventually bring about their second downfall.

All MFX problems are already highlighted in the many posts above, are just fruits from fundamental Marklin arrogance.
  • Difficult (read: nearly impossible) to program the right running characteristics
  • Software on standard locos cannot be upgraded -- even if Marklin can now update their decoder software
  • If you're buying a sound-locomotive, you'll get stuck with all those wrong sounds/set-up for live.

For me, all the above only lead to 1 single conclusion;

In its current form, MFX is just another episode of Marklin-customer rip-off...

To start with, I think it's generally a good idea for Marklin to want to build a digital protocol competitive to DCC.
But they screw up every step they made after, because of the deeply embedded message in their brand.

"We are number 1! Screw you competitors (and customers!)"

If only they can show just one RIGHT step to redress this main problem, and give the chance for MFX to grow up and become a true alternative to DCC, we wouldn't be having these kinds of discussions.
Now collecting C-Sine models.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by TimR
Offline TimR  
#35 Posted : 12 April 2014 13:27:03(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
David, you sort of changed the point of my poll, which is about MFX and whether you like it, or prefer DCC. If you prefer DCC then option 2 is your response. Now there are two options for those who prefer DCC, or have I got it wrong? I also don't think it's a good idea to allow voting for multiple options. They are mutually exclusive by design.

Oh well, you're the moderator. I guess you can do as you please....

OK, the poll has been open for a while now and we are seeing a pattern emerging.

It seems that more people like MFX than those who dislike it,

I think it's a bit difficult to draw any conclusion from the current poll. Like most other polls, it's largely inconclusive.

We basically only have 1 selection for members to choose to like MFX (the first option);

whereas the pro-DCC members are split into 2 camps;
"I dislike MFX and prefer DCC" AND "I like DCC technology and use it myself"

... and the last 3 selections are fairly neutral.

Such overlaps are normal in numerous other surveys that tried to ask their opinion in a single subject manner.
Be it "National Asset sales" or "Should we continue to use Nuclear power?"

Quite often, the choices provided overlap with each other, and depending on the organizer's own preference in the matter,
may offer a few selections that split the position of members of opposing groups.
Now collecting C-Sine models.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by TimR
Offline H0  
#36 Posted : 12 April 2014 14:21:11(UTC)
H0

It seems that more people like MFX than those who dislike it, and the original intention of the poll was to establish whether this was true.
Without the poll I would have estimated that 95% of mfx users and 90% of three-rail users are happy with mfx.
Difficult to interpret the current multiple choice poll, but currently it looks as if my estimates were very pessimistic (from the point of view of an mfx sceptic).

Märklin's market research department should know whether it's profitable to include or exclude DCC with three-rail H0 locomotives.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Goofy  
#37 Posted : 12 April 2014 14:43:41(UTC)
Goofy

Märklin's market research department should know whether it's profitable to include or exclude DCC with three-rail H0 locomotives.

Exactly!
When you buy Märklins locomotivs with mfx,you are forcement to use only mfx.
In this case...it´s wrong.
That´s way mostley prefer ESU decoder with better choise.
When i did used BR64,i did noticed that mfx did worked worse than ESU decoder in my Brawas locomotivs.
I suggest Märklin must change mfx decoder.

H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline RayF  
#38 Posted : 12 April 2014 14:53:06(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Thanks all of you for your replies, which mostly show a bit of insight into the matter under discussion. I agree with a couple of points about the poll itself:

1. The number of responses are not enough to show a statistically significant trend.

I made my summary on the results after less than 24 hours, but in my experience people forget topics after a day or two anyway, so I don't think the results will change much.

2. The options are a bit confusing.

This is partly my fault, and not helped by David changing the conditions of the poll, though I thank him for trying to be helpful. In hindsight it may have been better to have zeroed in on the issue of MFX by itself and not confuse it by adding options for DCC, or having a seperate poll about the desireability of DCC.

The question of how Marklin develops and markets its products seems to be a bit of a devisive issue, and always seems to come up when we discuss any matter that Marklin does differently to others. I don't mind heated debate, but I would prefer that people not get nasty about those with different opinions. There are some pretty vitriolic posts above, and not aimed just at me.

On a related matter, I have found that whatever I post is taken badly by John (River6109) who seems to take exception to my opinion on virtually every matter. I have in the past tried to extend the hand of friendship, but this only results in peace between us when I don't post in 'his' topics, so I have decided, in the interest of maintaining cordial forum relations, not to express my opinion again when the original poster is John. If this is not sufficient I don't really know what else to do, other than leave the forum completely.
Ray
Offline mbarreto  
#39 Posted : 12 April 2014 16:31:48(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   

I voted that I like M locos to have MFX and DCC. I would prefer a bit more than that, specifically I would like they also were compliant to RailCommPlus. It is not a must, but a plus.

We are not talking about MFX+ here, and although I am not using it and I don't think it will be a must for me, I think it brings some added fun for use sometimes. (In my case it will as at the moment I don't have any MFX+ machine yet).

At the moment, MFx does all I need, so it is ok. A big number of my locos have MFX, so i will have to live with it and I don't think it will be a problem. In case Märklin decided to stop producing MFX locos and start produce only DCC+RailCommPlus locos, it would be a problem either.
Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mbarreto
Offline river6109  
#40 Posted : 12 April 2014 16:33:34(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
I think you're missing the point John......

I realise that you have strong opinions regarding mFX, but for many of us it works, and does what it says and I think that was what Ray was interested in finding out!

Dave I don't doubt this for one moment otherwise it wouldn't be on the market, I don't have any illusions about it not working, not being popular and as you said it does its job, to be quite honest I don't even know what the word MFX stands for.

John

Offline kbvrod  
#41 Posted : 12 April 2014 16:38:18(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Quote:
I don't even know what the word MFX stands for.

Marklin Formula X-men.LOL
Offline kbvrod  
#42 Posted : 12 April 2014 16:48:58(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
I wonder if Trix's decoders offer auto registration in DCC mode? Or is this a feature Marklin/Trix only support in MFX.

Hi Matt,all,
I have a TRIX lok and a MS,I'll give it a go asap and let you know!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kbvrod
Offline RayF  
#43 Posted : 12 April 2014 19:50:29(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
What does MFX stand for?
Ray
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#44 Posted : 12 April 2014 22:41:00(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
......not helped by David changing the conditions of the poll........

The poll question is " Do you prefer MFX or DCC?"

There was no option to say that you preferred both protocols equally, so that was my intention in adding the extra option! Made perfect sense to me at the time.......
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline kimballthurlow  
#45 Posted : 12 April 2014 22:48:57(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Now now Matt ... inappropriate language for a forum. I don't know what cutsie means....
And your response reveals more about your character, than my original post (in context) says about mine.

regards
Kimball

Hello Kimball, let me help. Sarcasm in a discussion shows contempt, not regards for the participants in the discussion.

Webster's:
: the use of words that mean the opposite of what you really want to say especially in order to insult someone (my emphasis, Webster's placed it before the following two), to show irritation, or to be funny

Hi Matt,
I meant what I said, no sarcasm intended. I always say what I mean.
Please see my following post about marketing.

regards
Kimball
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#46 Posted : 12 April 2014 22:59:41(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
What does MFX stand for?

No idea....!

'Might Fool X-men'????? OhMyGod Woot
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline kimballthurlow  
#47 Posted : 12 April 2014 23:06:38(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: TimR Go to Quoted Post

It also showed that they didn't learn a single thing from their bankruptcy.

But such attitude is hubris, and I wouldn't be surprised if their arrogance would eventually bring about their second downfall.

In its current form, MFX is just another episode of Marklin-customer rip-off...

........ chance for MFX to grow up and become a true alternative to DCC, we wouldn't be having these kinds of discussions.

Hi Tim,

Your assertions do not, I believe, tell the true story.

Marklin is a company of 800 working people.
Can you imagine the day-to-day machinations of that organisation?
There would be amongst the decision makers, continual discussion and differences of opinion about what technology is needed, and how to produce it.
Following on from that, how to market and sell it.
Marklin is not some god-like creature, to whom we do obeisance, or whom we learn to hate, it is simply a group trying to earn a living.

The reality is their major market is Western Europe, who generally follow Marklin without blinking.
Hard working Europeans do not have time to worry about what system is "best", they just purchase what they are used to.

I may be wrong, but I believe that current criticisms of Marklin (with which I don't agree) are too small in numbers, to influence their production and marketing decisions.

regards
Kimball

Edited by user 13 April 2014 03:54:03(UTC)  | Reason: edited last line to be more explanatory

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline H0  
#48 Posted : 12 April 2014 23:44:16(UTC)
H0

About 50% market share in Germany, slightly more in the Netherlands - much less in many other European countries.
Märklin lead the market, but they don't control it.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline kimballthurlow  
#49 Posted : 13 April 2014 05:09:59(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   

Webster's:

Hi Matt,
I meant what I said, no sarcasm intended. I always say what I mean.
Please see my following post about marketing.

regards
Kimball

Hi Matt,

Let's bury the hatchet.

You are likely a decent fellow.
I am imperfect. I certainly don't like causing angst to another, and have no reason to be insulting.

We disagree about MFX - that is OK.
Our hobby means different things to different people.

regards
Kimball
Offline intruder  
#50 Posted : 13 April 2014 07:02:20(UTC)
intruder

Norway   
First some statistics:

I have 144 H0 locomotives, of which 140 are Märklin. 54 of the 1locomotives have mfx decoders (either originally fitted or converted by me, with Märklin decoders or M4 decoders from ESU. I have not experienced any problems with the mfx decoders. I still use my good old CS1.

This means that I have no experience with DCC and that I am very happy with MFX.
Best regards Svein, Norway
grumpy old sod
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by intruder