Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline aswap5  
#1 Posted : 22 December 2013 18:31:59(UTC)
aswap5

India   
Hello Everyone,

A Merry Christmas to everyone who is celebrating.

I have not had time to actually do anything with my Marklin for some time: work and the fact that my flat was being painted....

I connected the MS2 and then placed what the dealer assured me was a digital loco on the track. It behaved as though it were set to analogue - running off at high speed, refusing to reverse. Despite trying the following, it just wasn't recognised (No Loco on the MS2 display):
Wouldn't automatically register.
Wouldn't find.
Entering from database did not work.
Entering it manually did not work either.
(I am attaching pix of the loco with and without cover)
I opened it up and it clearly was at least a delta - if not digital and equally clearly seemed to have a dc motor.

Fearing there was a problem with my MS2, I reset it to factory settings and tried again. No luck. (btw, it is running firmware/software version 1.8.3 and voltage check showed 18V (I think).

I checked it with another loco, a BR41 from the delta set 29625. I opened up the loco and set the address to 80, entered it manually and it ran. Lights switched over, reversing happened - but each time I had to nudge it a bit. Some cleaning is obviously required as well as a little repair.

Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong?

Ashok

aswap5 attached the following image(s):
P1010712.jpg
P1010713.jpg
P1010714.jpg
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 22 December 2013 18:48:31(UTC)
H0

Hi, Ashok,

The loco is from a starter set and it has a decoder.

Factory default address will be either 24 or 78 or may 72 or 60.
I would manually create 4 entries in the MS2 with these four addresses (MM protocol). Then put the loco on the track and hope it stands still and responds to one of these addresses.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Lollo  
#3 Posted : 22 December 2013 19:53:02(UTC)
Lollo

New Zealand   
Hi,

Just repaired one of these for a friend. The default address was 24.

Cheers,
Brian.
Brian
Yaasan's Desktop Station/Railuino & Marklin MS2, DB Era III/IV Diesel & Steam, ESU Loksound/Lokpilot & Lokprogrammer, Marklin mSD, Tam Valley Depot Octopus III Servo Controller.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Lollo
Offline Webmaster  
#4 Posted : 22 December 2013 20:07:54(UTC)
Webmaster

Could you please take another pic with the decoder in focus so the left side of it is lit too?

Seems faintly like there is a DIP-switch module there where all switches are set to "Off" - which indicates the analog compatibility setting of a Delta decoder...
What I mean is that the decoder looks like to be set up for analog operation, which will give the symptoms you describe.

If it is like I suspect, then please ha a look at https://www.marklin-user...digital/DIdeltaaddr.html for possible loco address settings.
You will also have to configure the loco manually in the MS 2 with the same address you have set in the loco decoder.

Hope this help a bit - but an additional pic so we can see the left part of the decoder would be helpful.

Edit - After enhancing the pic and looking more closely - I think we need a picture of the other side of the decoder.
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline aswap5  
#5 Posted : 26 December 2013 04:32:12(UTC)
aswap5

India   
Sorry for the delay in responding.

I finally managed to check this loco out. I set the address to 24 and almost everything is working. There's a light inside the loco (for the firebox, I guess), which has gone off. I am not able to get to light up using the MS2. I'll try and figure it out! Another odd piece of behaviour is that when I put in reverse, it moves forward a tiny bit (about a quarter turn of the wheel) and then starts moving in reverse. Don't know if this normal.

This weekend I'll put both of the locos on an oval to get used to the MS2.

I also took off the body and took photos of the decoder form the other side, in fact I unscrewed it and flipped it over. I couldn't find any DIP switches, everything was soldered on.

Thanks you all for your help.

Ashok
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 26 December 2013 08:38:15(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: aswap5 Go to Quoted Post
There's a light inside the loco (for the firebox, I guess), which has gone off.
I think the light is there to provide feedback when programming with a Control Unit 6021 or other older controllers.

I would think it can be controlled with f0 for either forward or reverse.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Janne75  
#7 Posted : 26 December 2013 09:50:46(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Hi all,

I had some years ago this same loco and I can confirm that there is no DIP switches. It has a programmable decoder and the light should blink when this decoder is in programming mode. It's possible to program very long acceleration and braking delays into this loco like I did.

PS. I got it as a new for 13 euro from Holland with two freight cars... Not a bad deal Cool .

Cheers,
Janne
Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Janne75
Offline steventrain  
#8 Posted : 26 December 2013 18:45:15(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
The loco was from the special item 29157 starter set.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline Goofy  
#9 Posted : 28 December 2013 10:10:34(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: Janne75 Go to Quoted Post
Hi all,

I had some years ago this same loco and I can confirm that there is no DIP switches. It has a programmable decoder and the light should blink when this decoder is in programming mode. It's possible to program very long acceleration and braking delays into this loco like I did.

PS. I got it as a new for 13 euro from Holland with two freight cars... Not a bad deal Cool .

Cheers,
Janne

If this loco is special decoder with only 4 adresses to choise,it should stand MM2 programmable in the MS2 by program adress.
Remember...always one locomotiv stand alone on the track!!

H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline aswap5  
#10 Posted : 30 December 2013 17:31:54(UTC)
aswap5

India   
Thanks again, everyone. And a happy New Year to all. Got a basic layout set up (a bedbahn!) and got both the locos running. Need to adjust acc and dec for more lifelike behaviour. Now on to the 103 conversion!

Ashok