Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Registers on the forum or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline franciscohg  
#1 Posted : 27 July 2013 16:50:41(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Well, yesterday i "felt shrivers down my spine"
After the returning of my repaired, enhanced and fully reseted CS2 for Maerklin service i was slowly registering all my locos, solenoids and layout.
When continuing the work yesterday after i power it, i have got the message "no track format processor is available, you cannot run any locos or control solenoids devices with this unit"
Oh my God.............i will have to pass for evrything all over again????????????? The word Ecos was again sounding in my head............
I was pretty sure that was a software problem, did many restarts and nothing happens, then in a moment of geniality i decided to make a backup and made some resets firts with the Marklin.tgz file, it didnot work so i have used the file with the 3.01 update in the unit and it worked!!!!!! but the unit was empty, then i have used the backup, with the doubt that perhaps the bug was also backuped, but no, evrything was working fine.
Did anybody got that message??????
I am using a 60061 power source and always shut the unit down by software before i unplug the power source
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by franciscohg
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 27 July 2013 19:37:30(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: franciscohg Go to Quoted Post
Did anybody get that message??????
A chap on Stummi's Forum also got that message.
IIRC he sent his CS2 back to Märklin.

Good to hear you were able to solve that problem yourself.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline franciscohg  
#3 Posted : 27 July 2013 20:39:55(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
So it seems that is not that frequent..............
I will write a mail to Marklin service and see if they could give me more information.........let's hope that it is not a sympton of a hardware malfunction.........
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
Offline Yumgui  
#4 Posted : 27 July 2013 23:33:22(UTC)
Yumgui

United States   
Man,

These are the horror stories that have kept me away from digital for so long, especially CS1 & 2 & Co ... ^^

Analog, it works, or it doesn't, it's just so much easier to troubleshoot ...

Y Glare

PS: OK, so I'm lazy ^^ ;)
If your M track is rusted ... DON'T throw it out !
Working on: https://studiogang.com/projects/all
My heavy train station renovation: https://youtu.be/QQlyNiq416A
Inspired by: http://www.nakedmarklin.com/... Am not alone in this universe, phew.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Yumgui
Offline Janne75  
#5 Posted : 27 July 2013 23:48:35(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
You have had really bad luck with your CS2, but fortunately got it to work ok again ThumpUp . I have had so far good luck with my CS2 60214. I can understand how you have felt with all these things happening with your CS2. I hope that those problems are all over now! RollEyes

Cheers,
Janne
Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Janne75
Offline Iamnotthecrazyone  
#6 Posted : 28 July 2013 01:10:33(UTC)
Iamnotthecrazyone

Australia   
You have been a member since:: 22/01/2012(UTC)
I am glad too that you've got it going again. The Marklin word has been embedded in my brain since I was 4 or 5 and there is no way to get rid of it unless my brain is replaced. But... when it comes to the electronics they use, I am not 100% with them. I have an Ecos and I am a fairly happy customer most of the problems I had were with Marklin signals losing their addresses.

As for analog yes it have some convenience but I wanted the extra functionality and automated yards without having my layout sounding like a telephone exchange from the 1940's (relays).
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Iamnotthecrazyone
Offline franciscohg  
#7 Posted : 30 July 2013 20:18:10(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Well, i have got an answer from Marklin service, it seems to be just a software problem and the fixing procedure is indeed backup and reset.
Uff!
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by franciscohg
Offline Mark5  
#8 Posted : 30 July 2013 22:31:20(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Ouch!!

Originally Posted by: Iamnotthecrazyone Go to Quoted Post
[....text....]

As for analog yes it have some convenience but I wanted the extra functionality and automated yards without having my layout sounding like a telephone exchange from the 1940's (relays).

DB DR FS NS SNCF c. 1950-65, fan of station architecture esp. from 1920-70.
In single point perspective, where do track lines meet?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mark5
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#9 Posted : 01 August 2013 13:00:03(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
Originally Posted by: Janne75 Go to Quoted Post
You have had really bad luck with your CS2, but fortunately got it to work ok again ThumpUp . I have had so far good luck with my CS2 60214. I can understand how you have felt with all these things happening with your CS2. I hope that those problems are all over now! RollEyes

Cheers,
Janne

Hi Janne - Are their big differences between 60213, 60214, and the 60215?....(Is the 60212 the Central Station1?)
Would it be worth investing in a CS1....or is it just too "outdated"? (I use 2 x MS2 60653).
tx, Joe
Offline H0  
#10 Posted : 01 August 2013 13:15:42(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Joe Meiring Go to Quoted Post
Would it be worth investing in a CS1....or is it just too "outdated"? (I use 2 x MS2 60653).
The CS1 with ESU upgrade is mature and IMHO not outdated. But it's a matter of taste.
The MS2 can be used with a CS1 only via the sniffer port.

I favour the CS1 reloaded over the CS2. But that is a matter of taste.
I just registered a loco with 24 functions on my CS1 reloaded - CS2 still has a limit of 16 functions.
https://www.marklin-user...te-59990---reloaded.aspx

Re 60213, 60214, 60215:
https://www.marklin-user..._postsm296010_posts.aspx
https://www.marklin-user..._postsm285193_posts.aspx
https://www.marklin-user..._postsm278077_posts.aspx
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#11 Posted : 01 August 2013 13:35:34(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
Wow!..Thanks Tom for the in-depth reply....I figure the CS1 (reloaded) is more than adequate!!
thanks again! Joe
Offline RayF  
#12 Posted : 01 August 2013 18:13:52(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Can you still buy a CS1 reloaded (or otherwise?) This is a piece of kit which is out of production now, is it not?

I would have thought the option for a new controller now would be either an ECOS or a CS2. Buying the CS2 would give Joe the advantage of being able to use his MS2s as extra throttles.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline H0  
#13 Posted : 01 August 2013 19:37:34(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
Buying the CS2 would give Joe the advantage of being able to use his MS2s as extra throttles.
The ECoS allows that, too, through the sniffer port. This way has disadvantages, but also advantages.
Any Mobile Station is so inferior to a controller like the CS2 or ECoS that most people probably soon try to avoid the "extra throttle" whenever possible. This is my experience, but your mileage may vary.
Sounds good that the old controller can be used as extra throttle and helps to justify the investment ...

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Goofy  
#14 Posted : 01 August 2013 20:04:38(UTC)
Goofy

This kind of digital system like CS2 has sometimes bug which makes some trouble shooting by use it.
That´s way still old system like Lenz SET100 is favorite for customer who use DCC system.
No upgrade needs and yet works in every part of what is for layout.
But of course...cab control from Lenz should been change to bigger windows and better over view.
It´s amazing that Marklinist do have sometimes bad luck with Marklin digital system.
I don´t like to upgrade software every time when it happens.
It´s good for franciscohg who could solve the problem byself!
But what about next time...?
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline franciscohg  
#15 Posted : 01 August 2013 20:54:39(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Ohhhhh, lets hope there will be no next time!!!!
As for the extra throttles, I have just used two ms1 when I was doing the track laying at the oppsite side of the layout and very little since then, now with the remote CS2 for android, I think they will just serve to gain dust..
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by franciscohg
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#16 Posted : 05 August 2013 14:43:42(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
The CS1 with ESU upgrade is mature and IMHO not outdated. But it's a matter of taste.
The MS2 can be used with a CS1 only via the sniffer port.

I favour the CS1 reloaded over the CS2. But that is a matter of taste.
I just registered a loco with 24 functions on my CS1 reloaded - CS2 still has a limit of 16 functions.
https://www.marklin-user...te-59990---reloaded.aspx

Sorry Tom - exactly what/where is the "sniffer port"?...My buddy has a CS1 on loan, and is looking to plug in his MS2 (60653)?
tx, Joe
Offline H0  
#17 Posted : 06 August 2013 22:42:59(UTC)
H0

Sorry Tom - exactly what/where is the "sniffer port"?
At the back of the CS1 is a 7-pin connector, a plug is included with the CS. Pins 6 and 7 are the sniffer port (marked SnInA and SnInB). Connect them to the track output of the MS2 track box.

Note: with CS1 reloaded, the sniffer port supports DCC and MM. Using DCC for all locos is recommended.
The locos can be DCC, MM, SX, or mfx in the CS1, but you create a DCC loco in the MS2 to control them.

If the CS1 was not reloaded, then only MM can be used on the sniffer port. Locos can be either MM or mfx in the CS.
Thus you create an MM loco in the MS2 to control an mfx loco via the CS.

Connect the track output of the MS 2 track box only to the sniffer port.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline franciscohg  
#18 Posted : 14 October 2013 02:09:04(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Well...here we go again.... got the no TFP message again, the only problem is that the bug is more difficult to solve now, i have required many resets and backups to get to unit working again, the most annoying was that now the bugs appears also with the unit running, it happens in the middle of a mSD upgrade.....ooohhh another dead decoder? fortunately with a new upgrade the decoder is now ok.
Anyway, since i was getting the message on a daily basis, at last i downgrade to 2.01 and TFP to 2.0 IIRC (version 2.31 was the one causing the bug). Hope to have no more troubles since they appear when the unit came back from Goeppingen with 3.01 software
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by franciscohg
Offline jeehring  
#19 Posted : 14 October 2013 12:45:13(UTC)
jeehring

Sorry Tom - exactly what/where is the "sniffer port"?...My buddy has a CS1 on loan, and is looking to plug in his MS2 (60653)?
tx, Joe

...You have to know that most of the time there is not communication between User interface of the Ecos/CS1 reloaded and User Interface of the item which is plugged into the Sniffer port...
Offline river6109  
#20 Posted : 14 October 2013 13:19:10(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Sorry Tom - exactly what/where is the "sniffer port"?
At the back of the CS1 is a 7-pin connector, a plug is included with the CS. Pins 6 and 7 are the sniffer port (marked SnInA and SnInB). Connect them to the track output of the MS2 track box.

Note: with CS1 reloaded, the sniffer port supports DCC and MM. Using DCC for all locos is recommended.
The locos can be DCC, MM, SX, or mfx in the CS1, but you create a DCC loco in the MS2 to control them.

If the CS1 was not reloaded, then only MM can be used on the sniffer port. Locos can be either MM or mfx in the CS.
Thus you create an MM loco in the MS2 to control an mfx loco via the CS.

Connect the track output of the MS 2 track box only to the sniffer port.

slightly off topic

Tom.

correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm using equal to Märklin signal braking and acceleration modules. using the ECos, I'm turning off DC analog but I also found if I register the locos under DCC past the threshold of 256 addresses, the loco stops at the initiation stage track of the braking section.

is this the reason (DCC) or have I missed something else.

regards.,

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline H0  
#21 Posted : 14 October 2013 14:07:17(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
I'm using equal to Märklin signal braking and acceleration modules. using the ECos, I'm turning off DC analog but I also found if I register the locos under DCC past the threshold of 256 addresses, the loco stops at the initiation stage track of the braking section.

is this the reason (DCC) or have I missed something else.
I'm afraid this is completely off topic. And I'm afraid I do not fully understand.

For DCC the address threshold is 127, not 255 (beginning of long addresses).
There is DC for analogue operation. It seems you disable that in the decoders.
The ESU decoders also support brake modes: you can set to brake only on DC against the normal direction of travel or to brake on any DC.
With two-rail, people normally set locos to brake only on DC against the normal direction of travel (so locos can pass signals they see from behind). This cool trick does not work with three-rail, so three-railers usually set locos to brake on any DC.
This should work fine with Märklin braking modules with either MM, mfx, or DCC and with any address.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline H0  
#22 Posted : 14 October 2013 14:17:33(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: jeehring Go to Quoted Post
...You have to know that most of the time there is not communication between User interface of the Ecos/CS1 reloaded and User Interface of the item which is plugged into the Sniffer port...
The communication through the sniffer port is strictly one-way, there is absolutely no communication back to the controller connected to the sniffer port. The sniffer port also works with the "unreloaded" CS1.
And one of these years the Z21 will also have a sniffer port.
But that's all off topic as the CS2 does not have a sniffer port and only allows certain Märklin controllers to be used (MS1 if the firmware is not too old, CS1 if the firmware is not too new, CU6021 with a separate adapter). The sniffer port also allows using the IR starter set controller - it's limited to four locos, but it can control any four locos you like and it's wireless.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline jeehring  
#23 Posted : 14 October 2013 14:54:34(UTC)
jeehring

most of the time there is not communication (or so limited) between user interface of Ecos/CS1 and user interface of the item which is plugged into the Sniffer port in any way or any direction whatsoever.....
Offline H0  
#24 Posted : 14 October 2013 16:13:59(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: jeehring Go to Quoted Post
most of the time there is not communication (or so limited) between user interface of Ecos/CS1 and user interface of the item which is plugged into the Sniffer port in any way or any direction whatsoever.....
Not really. You can select the loco that is controlled via the sniffer port on the ECoS/CS1/CS1R screen and see what the device is sending to the track (speed step, activated functions).

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline foumaro  
#25 Posted : 15 October 2013 08:16:47(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
All the above stories saying to me."Do not ever change your beloved 6021"LOL BigGrin Love
Offline RayF  
#26 Posted : 15 October 2013 08:44:59(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: foumaro Go to Quoted Post
All the above stories saying to me."Do not ever change your beloved 6021"LOL BigGrin Love

You're right, Panayotis. It seems that we like to walk into minefields! BigGrin
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline franciscohg  
#27 Posted : 16 October 2013 03:31:24(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
uuuuuuuu, horror histories indeed......
But, so far with the downgrade to 2.01 everything has worked fine...sadly, RemoteCS2 seems to not work with that version....Crying