Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Johnvr  
#51 Posted : 14 July 2013 09:17:23(UTC)
Johnvr

South Africa   
Originally Posted by: Joe Meiring Go to Quoted Post
Thanks Janne! You were brave to even "fix" the new ones!!
John VR very kindly took 2 of my "only working one way" 74991's and did the shorting out of the switches - and hey presto, they are both working now - both ways, all the time...so now, (don't tell John), but I have another 8 or so of 74490/74491's, and even a box of five new 74491's for him to do!!
Thanks John...:) see U this weekend?!?
Joe

Joe,

Yesterday I had to lift part of my own track to extract the faulty mechanism from one of my turnouts.
I soldered across the micro-switch. Now it is working perfectly again and track has been returned to layout - all working fine now !

One must just remember that the purpose of the micro-switch was to switch the current off when the mechanism had switched, so this safety feature has effectively been disabled.

Regards,BigGrin
John

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Johnvr
Offline sikardon  
#52 Posted : 14 July 2013 13:26:51(UTC)
sikardon

Indonesia   
Originally Posted by: Johnvr Go to Quoted Post

One must just remember that the purpose of the micro-switch was to switch the current off when the mechanism had switched, so this safety feature has effectively been disabled.

Hi John,

Is there any impact if I use 74460 turnout decoder?

Hi Janne,

Are you using 74460 on your turnout?

Thank you.

Regards,
Sony
Offline eroncelli  
#53 Posted : 14 July 2013 15:39:42(UTC)
eroncelli

Italy   
No impact when using digital control; only in analogue you might burn some solenoid (depending on how you control the solenoids)
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by eroncelli
Offline Janne75  
#54 Posted : 14 July 2013 17:24:38(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Originally Posted by: sikardon Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Johnvr Go to Quoted Post

Hi John,

Is there any impact if I use 74460 turnout decoder?

Hi Janne,

Are you using 74460 on your turnout?

Thank you.

Regards,
Sony

Hi Sony,

Yes, I use 74460 in them if I remember right. Turnout motor switching time is adjustable at least with CS2 so no damage like burning them. I have 200 ms (milliseconds) switching time in them.

Regards,
Janne

Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Janne75
Offline MikeR  
#55 Posted : 21 July 2013 10:42:37(UTC)
MikeR

United States   
Hi Everyone

As a result of this thread I decided to change all my 74490 turnout mechanisms by shorting the switches to prevent future frustration on the layout I am building. All the 'fixed' 74490 turnout motors work fine and I hope that I will reduce any future problems, as access to some of the turnouts is difficult.

I am using a CS2 to control my layout and while testing the 'fixed' 74490 mechanisms I noticed that after the mechanism has thrown there is a short buzz. To me this indicated that I may be able to shorten the pulse length to eliminate this buzz. However I was unable to reduce the pulse length below the 200ms default on my CS2. It is possible to increase the pulse length. I was working on the Settings screen for the specific point used for testing on the Keyboard screen of my CS2.

Is 200ms the shortest pulse length possible? or is it a limitation of the 60830 decoders? Alternatively has anyone an alternative solution to eliminate the buzz?
Mike
Digital - C track with CS2 and Railroad&Co TrainController; feedback using LocoIO via a Locobuffer
Analog - M track with solid centre rail (after C track layout is complete)
Collect all Eras - especially Crocodiles
Member of ETE
Previously a member of the Marklin Modellers' Group Johannesburg
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by MikeR
Offline steventrain  
#56 Posted : 21 July 2013 10:56:54(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Marklin should double test the 74491 before left the factory.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline waorb  
#57 Posted : 22 July 2013 16:44:58(UTC)
waorb

Brazil   
Originally Posted by: MikeR Go to Quoted Post
Hi Everyone

Hi Mike!

Quote:

As a result of this thread I decided to change all my 74490 turnout mechanisms by shorting the switches to prevent future frustration on the layout I am building. All the 'fixed' 74490 turnout motors work fine and I hope that I will reduce any future problems, as access to some of the turnouts is difficult.

Congratulations! Cool I don't have that courage.

Quote:

I am using a CS2 to control my layout and while testing the 'fixed' 74490 mechanisms I noticed that after the mechanism has thrown there is a short buzz.

I don't realized that... I'll pay attention on that...

Quote:

To me this indicated that I may be able to shorten the pulse length to eliminate this buzz. However I was unable to reduce the pulse length below the 200ms default on my CS2. It is possible to increase the pulse length. I was working on the Settings screen for the specific point used for testing on the Keyboard screen of my CS2.

Same "issue" here. Which CS2 do you have?
Here is a 60215, with lastest firmware from Märklin.

Quote:

Is 200ms the shortest pulse length possible? or is it a limitation of the 60830 decoders? Alternatively has anyone an alternative solution to eliminate the buzz?

Probably it's a software limitation... Maybe a standard from Märklin to guarantee that all solenoids will work...

Best regards,

Walter

Offline MikeR  
#58 Posted : 23 July 2013 21:57:21(UTC)
MikeR

United States   
Hi Walter

Thanks for confirming that you are also unable to reduce the length of the pulse. I am using a 60215 with version 3.0.1 (1) of the software. I am not sure whether this is the latest version but I did do an update some weeks ago. I have not tried using the RailRoad & Co Traincontroller software to see if I can reduce the pulse length. I will test this approach in the next day or so.

Having watched the video (see post #3 from Greg above) the shorting of the 2 switches was not as difficult as I imagined and I was able to complete the task on 24 point motors in about 4 hours. This included accessing all points to remove the point motors (unplugging the connections), opening the point motors, doing the required soldering, closing the point motors, testing and then reinstalling the point motors. The most difficult part was accessing 1 of the points for removal and then reinstallation of the point motor. I guess that Sod's law dictates that this is probably the point motor that will give problems in the future. The switches on all further point motors will be shorted before installation.
Mike
Digital - C track with CS2 and Railroad&Co TrainController; feedback using LocoIO via a Locobuffer
Analog - M track with solid centre rail (after C track layout is complete)
Collect all Eras - especially Crocodiles
Member of ETE
Previously a member of the Marklin Modellers' Group Johannesburg
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by MikeR
Offline waorb  
#59 Posted : 24 July 2013 04:16:18(UTC)
waorb

Brazil   
Originally Posted by: MikeR Go to Quoted Post
Hi Walter
Thanks for confirming that you are also unable to reduce the length of the pulse. I am using a 60215 with version 3.0.1 (1) of the software. I am not sure whether this is the latest version but I did do an update some weeks ago. I have not tried using the RailRoad & Co Traincontroller software to see if I can reduce the pulse length. I will test this approach in the next day or so.

Hi Mike!

I have the 60215 also, with updates from some (few) months ago. As I remember, the version it's the same (need to check, but 99% sure).

Quote:

Having watched the video (see post #3 from Greg above) the shorting of the 2 switches was not as difficult as I imagined and I was able to complete the task on 24 point motors in about 4 hours. This included accessing all points to remove the point motors (unplugging the connections), opening the point motors, doing the required soldering, closing the point motors, testing and then reinstalling the point motors. The most difficult part was accessing 1 of the points for removal and then reinstallation of the point motor. I guess that Sod's law dictates that this is probably the point motor that will give problems in the future. The switches on all further point motors will be shorted before installation.

I have a little more than 40 turnouts (and 5 spare 'broken' motors) and after saw that video, I soldered all broken, and now they are ready to operate normally. On the layout, more or less, 8 motors was substituted by the soldered ones.

No issues till them. And happy not to need to send them to Germany. BigGrin

Regards,

Walter

ps. Meanwhile, I'll solder each one that isn't operating as they are supposed to.
(do not fix that do not need to be fixed) RollEyes
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by waorb
Offline Danlake  
#60 Posted : 08 January 2014 17:28:44(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
According to one user on this Danish forum he manage to get a reply from account manager Markus Schurr in Marklin service (in mid Dec 2013) acknowledging that they are aware of problem with the turnout mechanism and they are presently developing new ones that should be better than the old and is expected to be ready in half a years’ time.

The link to the post is (in Danish only): http://www.sporskiftet.d...s-sporskiftedrev-7449091

Brgds - Lasse

Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Danlake
Offline foumaro  
#61 Posted : 08 January 2014 18:34:31(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
I installed sixteen 74490 decoders 14 years ago and they are worlking fine all these years.I installed four 74491 twenty days ago and one of them is allready broken.Confused
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by foumaro
Offline Janne75  
#62 Posted : 08 January 2014 20:58:30(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Originally Posted by: foumaro Go to Quoted Post
I installed sixteen 74490 decoders 14 years ago and they are worlking fine all these years.I installed four 74491 twenty days ago and one of them is allready broken.Confused

Hi,

My Finnish Märklin dealer told me earlier that the oldest one are more reliable. I don't know why. So I suppose you have got these good old ones from the late 90's. Lucky you! So this is one proof again that 74491 are not better than 74490. I have opened many of these and have seen that both versions can have the very same version PCB.

Regards,
Janne

Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Janne75
Offline Danlake  
#63 Posted : 03 May 2014 18:42:02(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
I had my first 74491 failureAngry The usual issue with the turnout getting stuck in one position...

I removed the small component and shorted the terminals.

Enclosed a few photos below (before/after).

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Not being an electronic buff, why can’t we just remove the micro switch? What actually happens when we short the terminals?

I guess what I am asking is, instead of fiddling around with soldering, what would happen if you instead broke off the little plastic tap on the micro switch, in that way the switch would never be activated when the tong moves?

Brgds - Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Danlake
Offline Janne75  
#64 Posted : 03 May 2014 22:51:03(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Hi Lasse,

I'm not an electronics genius either... As far as I know those tiny micro switches are needed for use with control boxes or other switching controllers where you can not limit the switching time. With at least Central Station 2 and Mobile Station 2 and (I believe) with many other controllers they are totally useless. You can limit programmable the switching time in ms (milliseconds) with these controllers.

I have shorted all my turnout motors by removing those micro switches and soldering them like in your very good photos. If I will install a new turnout I will open the turnout motor and modify it before it gets in use. I don't trust to the 74490 or 74491 turnout motors anymore with their micro switches. When they are shorted, the problems are gone Smile .

Cheers,
Janne
Offline H0  
#65 Posted : 04 May 2014 07:53:42(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Janne75 Go to Quoted Post
With at least Central Station 2 and Mobile Station 2 and (I believe) with many other controllers they are totally useless. You can limit programmable the switching time in ms (milliseconds) with these controllers.
They are not totally useless since the off command from the controller might get lost on its way to the decoder, the decoder will not turn off the turnout motor and it might burn out.

They are totally useless with modern decoders that handle the switch off internally.
They are not normally needed with modern controllers that turn off after a period. But there were reports from users who heard a permanent buzzing sound from their turnouts because the off command had been ignored.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Janne75  
#66 Posted : 04 May 2014 09:50:28(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Tom, all,

I will at least continue to use my 74490/74491 turnout motors modified as shorted = removed micro switches as I have not had any issues after this modification. Before there was many problems with failing turnout motors. It is not a nice feeling when it is needed to take turnout away from the layout when there is already scenery stuff around of it ThumbDown . My Märklin dealer told me that the micro switches are not needed with CS2 or MS2, but you have a valid point why they may be needed in some rare cases.

Regards,
Janne
Offline H0  
#67 Posted : 04 May 2014 09:56:09(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Janne75 Go to Quoted Post
My Märklin dealer told me that the micro switches are not needed with CS2 or MS2, but you have a valid point why they may be needed in some rare cases.
Better safe than sorry.
Some folks use separate boosters for accessories. This prevents micro-shorts caused by wheels or centre rail pick-ups from disturbing the solenoid decoders. If you don't have new decoders with automatic switch-off, this can also help reducing the risk.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline RayF  
#68 Posted : 04 May 2014 12:56:24(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Let's hope that Märklin come out with a new motor soon that has eliminated this problem. I thought that they had addressed it with the 74491, and I installed some of those in my small layout extention. They do seem to work better, but I may just have been lucky.

The 74490 I have on my layout are very hard to get to because of the way I have ballasted between tracks. I can get them to work by dribbling a bit of oil down the turnout lever, which seems to make its way to the microswitch and makes the contacts conduct again for a while. If I have to rip up the track for some other reason I will certainly short out the switches, even though I use manual control boxes. I'll just have to be careful to ensure that the button is not left in a depressed position.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Danlake  
#69 Posted : 04 May 2014 17:21:11(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
I am still trying to figure out the electronic circuit of the mechanism when used with an external decoder like K83.

From my basic understanding:

1. A command is being sent to K83 to open one of the output ports for e.g. 250ms.
2. The K83 briefly energize the circuit
3. As one part of the solenoid gets energized it gets magnetised and draw the steel plunger toward it
4. Towards the end of the travel the plastic part of the plunger hits a mechanical switch on the micro switch.
5. The micro switch cut off any power to the solenoids to avoid accidental burnout.
6. The micro switch is also being activated a bit earlier to stop the plunger in its travel to avoid a bounce back?

Question remains then, when we bridge the contacts we basically disable the switch? And will bridging and physical remove the switch have the same result?

And finally when the internal contacts inside the micro switch gets exposed to sparks (predominantly in 74490 and attempted to minimize in 74491 by using a varistor) what actually happens then? The switch will always be on or off or cannot turn off because the contacts are dirty?

What I don’t understand is what is preventing the plunger to travel back when the other part of the solenoids gets magnetised. Everything seems loose and friction less so why would a faulty micro switch somehow prevent steel and magnet to meet up as it should do???

I am just trying to understand the electronic circuit of it all...

Brgds - Lasse
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Danlake
Offline RayF  
#70 Posted : 04 May 2014 20:34:46(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hi Lasse,

The micro switch contacts become oxidised so that when the plunger returns to the other end the switch does not close as it should do. When you try to activate that solenoid again there is no connection to the coil.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline pn  
#71 Posted : 05 May 2014 22:26:54(UTC)
pn

Portugal   
Hi All,

According to Viessmann's new items 2014 brochure, they will be reeling this year a point motor for Märklin C track. From the description it is already bundled with a digital decoder (can also work in analog mode). It's item number 4558.
Perhaps this can be a good alternative to overcome this long lasting issue with the 74490 turnout motors. Only time and experiments with Viessmann's new motors will tell. At least there's some hope... LOL

Regards,
Pedro
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by pn