Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline RUBEN SPAIN  
#1 Posted : 11 March 2013 22:34:04(UTC)
RUBEN SPAIN

Spain   
Good night.

An acquaintance of mine has a problem with his CS2.

While attempting to CS2 3.0.1 update came a power cut in his home. Since then the CS2 not starts

Is there a known method that actually works to fix this problem? Does He need to send it to Germany for repair?

Kind Regards
Offline witzlerh  
#2 Posted : 11 March 2013 23:08:21(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
Probably it will need to be sent away. Email Marklin Service and see what they say....
Harald
CS2 DB & Canadian Era 3-6
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by witzlerh
Offline JohnjeanB  
#3 Posted : 11 March 2013 23:47:32(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Ruben Spain

There are serious chances that a power off during update is not damaging the unit.
I would try to power-up the unit and press the stop button for a long while, then release it.
Not forbidden, nothing to lose. I believe there is behind this button a special logic similar to the one on your computer PWR button
cheers
jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline RUBEN SPAIN  
#4 Posted : 12 March 2013 00:18:03(UTC)
RUBEN SPAIN

Spain   
We have tried with the reparatur process by Marklin, but nothing happens. I think this does not work.

http://www.maerklin.de/faq/

Now we try to start using a USB pendrive with 1.64.tgz update file. If this also does not work..I am afraid this CS2 needs to travel to Germany.

We will try to make what you say about pressing STOP during the starting process.

Thank you
Offline mike c  
#5 Posted : 12 March 2013 06:11:12(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Ruben,

If the power went out while the update was being written, it is possible that the file is corrupted, which might prevent the unit from starting as intended. If the power went out while the unit was reading, then this should not have damaged the settings and the unit can likely be restarted. If the power outage caused a voltage spike, it is possible that the unit needs to be reset or may be damaged.
If the first case applies, you can likely rewrite the software from a PC or backup, after which the unit should operate normally.
If you are unable to restart the unit software or there is some hardware issue, you will likely have to contact Maerklin for assistance.

The email address is service(at)maerklin.de

Good luck

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline RUBEN SPAIN  
#6 Posted : 12 March 2013 09:44:31(UTC)
RUBEN SPAIN

Spain   
How can I rewrite the cs2 software from a PC?
I think this is not possible. This is not an ESU Ecos or Märklin CS1
Offline mike c  
#7 Posted : 15 March 2013 06:34:08(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Ruben,

you have to download the software to your computer and then transfer it to your CS using a USB key. It is explained here (in German): http://www.maerklin.de/d...ds/software_updates.html

Regards

Mike C
Offline RUBEN SPAIN  
#8 Posted : 15 March 2013 14:26:37(UTC)
RUBEN SPAIN

Spain   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
Ruben,

you have to download the software to your computer and then transfer it to your CS using a USB key. It is explained here (in German): http://www.maerklin.de/d...ds/software_updates.html

Regards

Mike C

Yes, I know It. But it only can be if the CS2 has started. It does not start ever. This is the problem.
Offline mike c  
#9 Posted : 15 March 2013 19:52:36(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
What were you using as power supply? Do you have an alternate power supply that you can use to see if it starts?
If not, is there a dealer or friend near you where you can bring your CS to see if it initiates using another power supply?

Have you tested the power supply using a volt meter?

Normally, if the problem was computer related, I would expect some kind of response from the unit, ie freezing or crash. If there is absolutely nothing happening, then it may be a power related problem which will have to be resolved. If there is a power problem, it may also be possible that there may be a software related issue that will only emerge after the unit can be powered up.

As I do not know about the content and structure of the update that was in progress, I cannot determine whether it was in process of rewriting the complete software or whether it was only modifying certain lines. In the former, the likelihood of a total crash is more likely. For the latter, it would be more likely to freeze or crash after booting normally.

Regards

Mike C
Offline old toot  
#10 Posted : 18 March 2013 09:14:17(UTC)
old toot

New Zealand   
Hi Ruben
tell him to check the powerboard that the powersupply was plugged into
the power outage may have triggered the little black button which most of these
boards have which would mean no power from board till the switch reset
sometimes its the basic that can fool us
also email dion on workshop@toottoot.co.nz as i know he has done installs that '
have been interrupted, and normally talking back to computer days if a down load
got interrupted when you restated it just picked up where it had stopped
other wise email Frank at service at Marklin on their "Contact on their website "
regards
bryan old toot
were we pickit, packit and postit
Offline RUBEN SPAIN  
#11 Posted : 18 March 2013 14:42:06(UTC)
RUBEN SPAIN

Spain   
Hello

This is not a problem with the power supply. It is a problem of software. When the CS2 started it made the conventional starting process, but it never started with success.

Several minutes after plugged-in the power supply the screen comes blank. We can access to CS2 by a PC computer and make a screen shot. But here is what we see.

The CS2 hangs and never started the main program. It stayed in this state for hours and never, never got-out from that state
RUBEN SPAIN attached the following image(s):
image001.png
Offline old toot  
#12 Posted : 19 March 2013 02:53:52(UTC)
old toot

New Zealand   
hi Ruben
looks like you might have had a spike hit which has scrambled the software
so contact Frank Meyer at Marklin service
I would say it will have to go to him for a reload of the software
regards
bryan old toot
were we pickit, packit and postit
Offline RUBEN SPAIN  
#13 Posted : 24 March 2013 17:23:55(UTC)
RUBEN SPAIN

Spain   
Hello

I have opened the update file (tgz extension) for the CS2. Into the folder OPT I have found another folder named BETATEST where is placed a java-software named CS2analyse. This program can make a communication with the CS2 and send commands but I do not know how it works. I thought maybe it is possible to send an update command to the CS2 to make the update or reset the device.

Also, you can find another folder named www where is a file named bereinigen.html. As I saw with this file it is possible to send commands to cleanup the CS2 but the files that should have been used for this are not present in the folder that they must be (cgi-bin).

Someone knows anything about this?
RUBEN SPAIN attached the following image(s):
bereinigen.png