Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Drongo  
#1 Posted : 01 January 2013 10:57:42(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Hi Everyone,

I know that this is a Marklin forum, however, I would like to ask this question and perhaps someone here will know the answer.

A friend of mine has a Hornby HO/OO train set in its original box and is in mint condition. It was purchased in the mid 1950's and it is powered by AC. As far as I know, Hornby only produced DC locos, however, I'm wrong. Can anyone shed some light on this topic - is this train set a rare item?

Regards

Greg
Take it easy . . . . or any other way you can get it !!!!
Offline kimballthurlow  
#2 Posted : 01 January 2013 11:08:40(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi Greg,

Is this train set running on 3 rail track?

What sort of controller is being used?

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline steventrain  
#3 Posted : 01 January 2013 11:18:53(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
It it a Hornby-Dublo?

Most Dublo 3-rails locos are 12 volts DC.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline Drongo  
#4 Posted : 01 January 2013 12:38:32(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
The train is running on 3 rail track. The loco has a slider underneath for power pickup. It is definitely HO scale. I'll have to check the controller, however, from memory it was the usual transformer style. It is NOT Hornby-Dublo.

The plot is thickening. Confused Confused

Greg
Offline RayF  
#5 Posted : 01 January 2013 13:02:50(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
If it's Hornby in the 1950s then it must be Hornby Dublo. It would have 3 rail track and the loco would have a slider under it. The difference between HO and OO at that time was largely academic!

The only alternative I can think of from that period is Trix, which made British outline trains in OO/HO which ran on 3 rail track.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline steventrain  
#6 Posted : 01 January 2013 14:52:50(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Any photos, Greg?
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline EMD_GP7  
#7 Posted : 01 January 2013 16:33:59(UTC)
EMD_GP7

Hornby Dublo locomotives according to my reference books and my memory have never used AC power, only 12v DC and clockwork.
The Hornby ( and Trix ) collectors are more like "spoons" than the long flat slider used for stud contact.

British Trix used AC into the 50s in many models and used the "Trix Twin" system with 3-insulated rails with side collectors which could be moved to be on opposite sides to allow operation of two trains on the same track.
The power connector track for this system is distinctive as it has 3 terminals !

There may be oddities in the ranges as one Trix product for the American market was 2-rail DC in the AC period with fine scale wheels to match up with local preferences.

As requested above a photo would help to identfy the set or the set part number would help as I have books covering both Hornby and Trix ans so may be able to find it.

Regards, Colin.
Offline Drongo  
#8 Posted : 02 January 2013 12:07:33(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Originally Posted by: EMD_GP7 Go to Quoted Post
Hornby Dublo locomotives according to my reference books and my memory have never used AC power, only 12v DC and clockwork.
The Hornby ( and Trix ) collectors are more like "spoons" than the long flat slider used for stud contact.

British Trix used AC into the 50s in many models and used the "Trix Twin" system with 3-insulated rails with side collectors which could be moved to be on opposite sides to allow operation of two trains on the same track.
The power connector track for this system is distinctive as it has 3 terminals !

There may be oddities in the ranges as one Trix product for the American market was 2-rail DC in the AC period with fine scale wheels to match up with local preferences.

As requested above a photo would help to identfy the set or the set part number would help as I have books covering both Hornby and Trix ans so may be able to find it.

Regards, Colin.

Hi Colin,

Thanks for the information. I will try and get some photos, however, I leave tomorrow for 2 weeks holiday. When I get back home I'll arrange for the photos.

Regards
Greg
Offline EMD_GP7  
#9 Posted : 02 January 2013 15:36:37(UTC)
EMD_GP7

Hi Greg.
Have a nice holiday and we will try to answer your question when you return.
Photos will help a lot.
Regards, Colin.
Offline cookee_nz  
#10 Posted : 02 January 2013 20:02:48(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Hornby did indeed produce the range known as "Hornby ACHO" sometimes also under their Mecanno banner, exactly as described, and they have a quite distinctive logo and a small dedicated following. Produced early 60's through early 70's from what I can find. I think they were 2-rail AC however, in contrast to early Hornby Dublo which was 3-rail, but DC. Confused?

UserPostedImage

Just google "hornby acho" and you'll get plenty of info, but here's an example site...

http://www.sulka.de/sites/moba/HA/achoE.html

Remember also, as well as searching the 'web' from google, use their option along the top of their page to search "Images", lots of info to drool over and some very attractive models, example screenshot attached.

And this one is also a helpful site when looking to identify Brands or Logo's....

http://www.train-jouet.com/catalogues/Listing_Eng.html

HTH

Steve
NZ
cookee_nz attached the following image(s):
hornbyacho-images.jpg
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline RayF  
#11 Posted : 02 January 2013 20:41:10(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hi Steve,

I believe Hornby Acho were in fact 2 rail DC. The only British trains in AC that I know of were early British Trix.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline cookee_nz  
#12 Posted : 03 January 2013 01:43:18(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
Hi Steve,

I believe Hornby Acho were in fact 2 rail DC. The only British trains in AC that I know of were early British Trix.

Ok well I stand to be corrected of course but somewhere along the way I was sure I saw an additional reference being made to the ability also to run two loco's independently (much like Faller did with their AMS slot cars) but using each half-wave of the cycle.

And there is a very distinct image on their packaging certainly appearing like an AC sine-wave...

So it appears the "AC" in ACHO means something other than Alternating Current?, I see also that their Transformers output DC & AC, so perhaps the AC is just for accessories.

Ah the Internet eh, can't always believe everything you read. I'm surprised now in searching further how little detailed info I can find. This site in French offered some hope, but alas, did not clear up the mystery. ie WHAT is Hornby ACHO and why name it thus?

http://fan-de-hornby-ach...acHO_autres-2412741.html

And here is an information sheet for one of the transformers, sadly my high-school French lets me down....

http://www.train-jouet.c...ormateur%20Ref%20643.pdf

Those jolly Frenchmen eh? Perhaps this was just to confound their German friends Confused Confused Confused Flapper

I look forward to this mystery being resolved by an expert, which I am happy to say, I am not.

Cool
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline EMD_GP7  
#13 Posted : 03 January 2013 14:50:39(UTC)
EMD_GP7

Hi,
To explain ,

Hornby DUBLO is 00 scale or Double-O or 4mm/foot scale.

Hornby AcHO (pronounced "Aitcho") is HO scale or 3.5 mm/foot scale.

So the two suffixes just refer to the scale.

AcHO used 0-12v DC control on two rails just like the contemporary Dublo and the controllers shown on the links look much like the Dublo controllers of the time.
The fixed 15v AC referred to is for accessories such as point motors, signals etc.

The only early two train control I have come across is the Trix Twin system which used conventional DC but with 3-rails isolated with a common centre rail and separate control to two locomotives via the running rails.
Tha locos had spoon like collectors that could be swapped round to opposite sides of the loco to give separate control.
In fact if overhead supply was used to an Electric locomotive then control of three trains was possible.
Two train control was also possible on other systems using an overhead supply but the trix system did it without.

I have not come across control of two trains via half-wave operation but half wave rectification was sometimes fitted to controlers to give slow running control for shunting etc.
It would be interesting to see a system using this approach

Hope this helps, Colin.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by EMD_GP7
Offline Ian555  
#14 Posted : 03 January 2013 15:04:11(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi Colin,

I'm building a small Hornby Dublo layout and find the information very interesting...thanks. ThumpUp

Ian.

UserPostedImage

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Ian555
Offline EMD_GP7  
#15 Posted : 03 January 2013 16:46:16(UTC)
EMD_GP7

H Ian and all.

The photo below shows examples from my collection of the typical makes discussed in this post.

UserPostedImage

Left Hornby Dublo 2-rail BR A4 pacific Golden Fleece
Centre Hornby AcHO SNCF BB1609
Right British Trix BR 46231.

Below is the Trix Twin arrangement of collector shoes.
The side shoes can be swapped end for end to fit on the opposite side.

UserPostedImage

Hope this is of interest.

Regards, Colin.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by EMD_GP7
Offline Ian555  
#16 Posted : 03 January 2013 18:10:14(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi Colin,

Thanks for the photo's. ThumpUp

Ian.

Offline cookee_nz  
#17 Posted : 03 January 2013 20:44:35(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: EMD_GP7 Go to Quoted Post
Hi,
To explain ,

Hornby DUBLO is 00 scale or Double-O or 4mm/foot scale.

Hornby AcHO (pronounced "Aitcho") is HO scale or 3.5 mm/foot scale.

So the two suffixes just refer to the scale.

AcHO used 0-12v DC control on two rails just like the contemporary Dublo and the controllers shown on the links look much like the Dublo controllers of the time.
The fixed 15v AC referred to is for accessories such as point motors, signals etc.

The only early two train control I have come across is the Trix Twin system which used conventional DC but with 3-rails isolated with a common centre rail and separate control to two locomotives via the running rails.
Tha locos had spoon like collectors that could be swapped round to opposite sides of the loco to give separate control.
In fact if overhead supply was used to an Electric locomotive then control of three trains was possible.
Two train control was also possible on other systems using an overhead supply but the trix system did it without.

I have not come across control of two trains via half-wave operation but half wave rectification was sometimes fitted to controlers to give slow running control for shunting etc.
It would be interesting to see a system using this approach

Hope this helps, Colin.

Brilliant, nice clear explanation. Just goes to show (in my case), a little knowledge is dangerous.

I will admit though, I still find the 'Aitcho' thing a bit of a stretch of the imagination. I never thought to pronounce it like that, and their logo artwork always has the 'AC' in caps, slightly smaller than the 'HO' as though they are two parts of the one whole (if that makes sense). And from what I read, these were first conceived by Hornby France, would they have done a play on English pronunciation in that manner?

You've given a good response, so please forgive me for remaining just 1% puzzled :-)

Best

Steve

Parlez vous Märklin? BigGrin
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline Tom Jessop  
#18 Posted : 03 January 2013 22:01:34(UTC)
Tom Jessop

Australia   
For a full life story on Hornby & all their products, a series of over 15 books was produced over about 10 years from 1980 by New Cavendish Books. When I started collecting the series & the FD saw their price she almost filed for divorce but I consoled her by saying that I may be the only silly young fool in OZ who buys the full series& she started to see the value in years to come Each Book was priced up in the $100 area which for a young bloke with a family was a fortune in those days, They still bring similar prices second hand in shops these days.

Another expensive book I found '"The Trains on Avenue De Rumine " was all about Fulgurex & Count Colluzzi [the owner] Many years ago on our first European trip we were in Lausanne & asked at the Tourist Info centre if they knew if his collection was available for public viewing. They had never heard of the collection but a few phone calls later we had a appointment arranged to visit his Chateau right in the centre of town. On arrival a few days later we are standing outdside a 6 story Chateau overlooking over the city & met at he door by The Count himself who then showed us thru his house which had trains from floor to ceiling in every room on every floor of The Chateau. We were over awed with what we saw & the welcome we received from the Count. We remained in touch for many years after untill about 2005 when we heard that he had passed on. I belive that his collection ended up at the museum in Mendrisio CH.

I have digressed from the original start of this post but it is amazing where a purchase could take you in years to come.

Regards,

Tom in Oz.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Tom Jessop
Offline cookee_nz  
#19 Posted : 03 January 2013 22:19:08(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Tom Jessop Go to Quoted Post
For a full life story on Hornby & all their products, a series of over 15 books was produced over about 10 years from 1980 by New Cavendish Books. When I started collecting the series & the FD saw their price she almost filed for divorce but I consoled her by saying that I may be the only silly young fool in OZ who buys the full series& she started to see the value in years to come Each Book was priced up in the $100 area which for a young bloke with a family was a fortune in those days, They still bring similar prices second hand in shops these days.

Another expensive book I found '"The Trains on Avenue De Rumine " was all about Fulgurex & Count Colluzzi [the owner] Many years ago on our first European trip we were in Lausanne & asked at the Tourist Info centre if they knew if his collection was available for public viewing. They had never heard of the collection but a few phone calls later we had a appointment arranged to visit his Chateau right in the centre of town. On arrival a few days later we are standing outdside a 6 story Chateau overlooking over the city & met at he door by The Count himself who then showed us thru his house which had trains from floor to ceiling in every room on every floor of The Chateau. We were over awed with what we saw & the welcome we received from the Count. We remained in touch for many years after untill about 2005 when we heard that he had passed on. I belive that his collection ended up at the museum in Mendrisio CH.

I have digressed from the original start of this post but it is amazing where a purchase could take you in years to come.

Regards,

Tom in Oz.

Wow Tom, what an honour that must have been. Good on you for having the nous to simply ask. Wonderful memory.

Count Graf Coluzzi featured in the 1984 special english edition of the Marklin Magazin (imho an absolute MUST HAVE in any Marklin library, if you can find it) as attached here holding a Gauge II loco, a very impressive collection by all accounts even though most of the other items featured in this magazin are apparently from the "W Berendt" collection.
cookee_nz attached the following image(s):
MMagazine1984-p22.jpg
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline cookee_nz  
#20 Posted : 03 January 2013 22:25:31(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
As for whether you have 'digressed', we NEVER digress here on the forum.

Quite simply, we boldly go where no man has gone before....
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline Tom Jessop  
#21 Posted : 04 January 2013 01:06:02(UTC)
Tom Jessop

Australia   
Very true ,we all try to further each others learning & appreciation of life with Marklin.

When we originally asked at the tourist office I wasn't sure if we were even in the right city& it was just a hunch that I even had the right spelling of the company , as the saying goes Look in the Yellow pages & you will find something related.

Tom in Oz
Offline Drongo  
#22 Posted : 12 June 2013 14:12:36(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Hi Everyone,

Finally I have received some photos of this Hornby Dublo set. BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin I would like comments regarding this set and if someone would have an idea of its value.

Regards
Greg

This is the loco.

UserPostedImage

This is whole set - N.B. the controller

UserPostedImage

This is the box cover.

UserPostedImage

These are the documentations.

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Drongo
Offline Bryan  
#23 Posted : 13 June 2013 05:25:17(UTC)
Bryan

Australia   
Hi All

Could we please see or report on the reverse bottom side of the instructions, this will give the print date codes and quantities.
Also can you supply a picture of the loco chassis without body. From this you can tell what year and about what month it was made.
From what is shown so far the set was manufactured between 1949 - 1952, 12vdc of couse, never AC. Dublo were the first to use 12v DC in 1938 which became the industry standard post war. Also Dublo established the British out of scale/gauge 00 standard perpetuated in current Chinese Hornby.

Cheers
Bryan.
Offline kimballthurlow  
#24 Posted : 13 June 2013 11:32:28(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi Greg,

Thanks for the excellent photos of that iconic train set. The model represents the engine Sir Nigel Gresley (named after the designer) as running between 1947 and 1949. The coaches represented typical Gresley teak sided coaches used on the main lines of the London and North Eastern Railway at that time. Though the set was manufactured some time after that.

As Bryan has pointed out, the date of manufacture can be revealed more precisely by viewing the type of motor, and perhaps the print dates of the instructions. Sets of this vintage seem to attract the same prices (or less) as does a current model Hornby engine only, available in hobby shops. And of course that new one has a plastic body, not a metal one, as is the case with No. 7. However, the condition of the articles and the box itself can introduce some variations.

Is that a slight disfigurement (coloured white) of the trailing truck under the cab of the loco?

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline Bryan  
#25 Posted : 13 June 2013 13:28:08(UTC)
Bryan

Australia   
Hi Greg

I did not notice that you were also after a price for your EDP1 set. This set as stated before was produced between 1949 - 53. If the motor is a 3/4 inch horse shoe type then it is the first type and probably the scarcest of all the Sir Nigels. In Australia during the production of this set we had a wool boom when the price of wool skyrocketed. Consequently there was much trade with the UK in manufactured goods including toys in exchange. This set in Australia is thus fairly common with the smaller 0-6-2T sets especially GWR and SR are harder to find and more valuable. The condition of Dublo is paramount in its value especially this type of EDP1 set. Prices in Australia for Dublo have halved for Dublo over the last 5 years, its only items in ex factory condition which bring the high prices now, basically because they are so rare to find in this condition. Looking at the set in the photo, it does have the white corrosion powder on the paintwork indicating storage in a damp area and thus deteriation. In the Australian Hornby club (HRCAA) we do have four major club auctions a year. An item in this condition in the auction would bring about $120 these days. If it was in ex-factory condition then up to $300 could be a price realised. The UK market is different as there are many more Dublo collectors generally. Ebay(UK) would be the best place to see a realistic price for the set as they come up all the time on this site. Just looking quickly for a set on the Ebay UK site in the prices realized section finds a similar boxed set that went for £ 75.99 in April this year.

Cheers
Bryan
Offline kimballthurlow  
#26 Posted : 14 June 2013 09:37:12(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi Greg,

I agree with Bryan on pricing.

If a keen buyer were to look at this set, he or she would look for, whether present or not:
1. any corrosion on engine and carriages (some evident on engine)
2. state of carriage tinplate (shiny finish, marked, or otherwise tarnished?)
3. state of couplers (bent or broken?)
4. tender bakelite top (warped or misshapen?)
5. tender sides (bent?)
6. wheels (any corrosion or expansion?)
7. box items such as oil bottle and spanner (present?)
8. box inserts, covers, bottom and lid (torn or discolored?)
9. instruction booklets present?
10. controller (working?)

The answer to each of these questions will make a few dollars difference either way.
But as Bryan says, these sets are reasonably common, and mostly show similar condition.

regards
Kimball
Offline Drongo  
#27 Posted : 14 June 2013 13:31:23(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Hi Bryan & Kimball,

Thanks for the information - I will pass it on.

Greg