Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline cookee_nz  
#1 Posted : 24 October 2011 10:44:07(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Some of you probably spotted this already,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290622837227

Ok the price is currently low, but here we have a seller with several thousand feedbacks to his name, and he's an Ebay store so he's no stranger to auctions or to model trains.

Do we put this down to inexperience with Marklin or does he have a side-job as a used-car salesman? (no offence to any car sales executives here - present company excepted) BigGrin

If this is "very good condition", I'd hate to see what condition it would take to describe something as 'average' ??

Confused

Let's see what this goes for. If cheap enough I'd be interested myself.

Cookee
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline foumaro  
#2 Posted : 24 October 2011 11:37:27(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
I do not give even a euro for this.
Offline RayF  
#3 Posted : 24 October 2011 11:52:43(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
The tender is in pretty poor shape. The loco itself doesn't look so bad.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline Markus Schild  
#4 Posted : 24 October 2011 13:10:49(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi,

That's no "Zinkpest". These white bloomings are very typical for these early loco, but can be removed and become nearly invisible if treated with a special oil (Ballistol). It's just a corrision of the surface. That's another thing than the "Zinkpest" which forms cracks and destroys models.

If you find a 1950 G800 tender without these white blommings or traces of removed ones, it's 99% repainted.

Regards

Markus

Edited by user 24 October 2011 17:53:11(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline CCS800KrokHunter3  
#5 Posted : 24 October 2011 17:54:42(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   
Originally Posted by: Markus Schild Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

That's no "Zinkpest". These white bloomings are very typical for these early loco, but can be removed and become nearly invisible if treated with a special oil (Ballistol). It's just a corrision of the surface. That's another thing than the "Zinkpest" which forms cracks and destroys models.

If you find a 1950 G800 tender without these white blommings or traces of removed ones, it's 99% repainted.

Regards

Markus

I agree 100% with Markus. This kind of "Zinkpest" (if you want to call it that) is the absolute least of your worries. It can be removed with no traces.

I would say the locomotive is in pretty good shape...the incorrect pick-up shoe bothers me more.

Paul
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#6 Posted : 24 October 2011 18:06:24(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Marcus,

How do you apply this Ballistoil, and where is it available? I have a G 800 tender I'd love to clean that white stuff off of!

Thanks,
-John
SBB Era 2-5
Offline Markus Schild  
#7 Posted : 24 October 2011 19:06:34(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Originally Posted by: 5HorizonsRR Go to Quoted Post
Marcus,

How do you apply this Ballistoil, and where is it available? I have a G 800 tender I'd love to clean that white stuff off of!

Thanks,
-John

Hi John,

look at http://www.ballistol.com/ . I just put it on a cleaning cloth and polish the flour away.

Regards

Markus

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Markus Schild
Offline steventrain  
#8 Posted : 24 October 2011 19:26:19(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: RayPayas Go to Quoted Post
The tender is in pretty poor shape.

It is same as here http://www.ebay.co.uk/it...&hash=item35b01fd24c

I think factory fill coal with glue or something.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline ricky  
#9 Posted : 24 October 2011 19:53:17(UTC)
ricky

According to my trusted Koll and my (very) limited knowledge of german, "zinkpest" affects models from 1935 to 1942. G800 was produced between 1950 and 1954. As Markus pointed out, the loc is affected by what is described in Koll as "weisse, kristalline Korrosionsschicht" that affects models from 1947 to 1955, especially the tenders of F800, G800, HR800, and SK800. (Koll 1997, pages 22-23.) My apologies if I mistranslated something, again my german is very very limited! Unsure

In terms of the condition of the loc, once again we can see that "one man's trash is another man's treasure", and there is nothing wrong with that... Some people want a model in their collection, and will buy what they can afford, others will prefer not buying unless they can afford a flawless model. In this case I agree the term "very good condition" is a stretch (you surely have noticed the broken sides in the front, most likely a kid who liked to let the loc fall or liked to do various experiments with a hammer OhMyGod), but I don't think the seller wants to mislead: there are enough good quality pics to really describe the model.

Cheers,
Ricky Smile
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by ricky
#10 Posted : 24 October 2011 20:19:29(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   
Originally Posted by: ricky Go to Quoted Post
According to my trusted Koll and my (very) limited knowledge of german, "zinkpest" affects models from 1935 to 1942. G800 was produced between 1950 and 1954. As Markus pointed out, the loc is affected by what is described in Koll as "weisse, kristalline Korrosionsschicht" that affects models from 1947 to 1955, especially the tenders of F800, G800, HR800, and SK800. (Koll 1997, pages 22-23.) My apologies if I mistranslated something, again my german is very very limited! Unsure

In terms of the condition of the loc, once again we can see that "one man's trash is another man's treasure", and there is nothing wrong with that... Some people want a model in their collection, and will buy what they can afford, others will prefer not buying unless they can afford a flawless model. In this case I agree the term "very good condition" is a stretch (you surely have noticed the broken sides in the front, most likely a kid who liked to let the loc fall or liked to do various experiments with a hammer OhMyGod), but I don't think the seller wants to mislead: there are enough good quality pics to really describe the model.

Cheers,
Ricky Smile

Interesting that Koll's says that it ends in 1942...I would say Zinkpest occurs until the early 1950s. Some of the worst models with Zinkpest are from 1947-1949.

Best regards,

Paul
Offline Markus Schild  
#11 Posted : 24 October 2011 20:53:03(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Originally Posted by: CCS800KrokHunter3 Go to Quoted Post

Interesting that Koll's says that it ends in 1942...I would say Zinkpest occurs until the early 1950s. Some of the worst models with Zinkpest are from 1947-1949.

Best regards,

Paul

Hi Paul,

the same Mr. Koll showed a craked ST 800 as sample for "Zinkpest" in his catalogues. Zinkpest at Märklin ended around 1950 for the first time...

Regards

Markus
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#12 Posted : 24 October 2011 22:04:42(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Thanks guys! I'm definately going to try some out- I always thought that was un-cleanable zinc pest!
SBB Era 2-5
#13 Posted : 25 October 2011 03:34:37(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   
Thanks guys! I'm definately going to try some out- I always thought that was un-cleanable zinc pest!

It is also possible to slow the effects of actual zincpest on the metal, but this requires much more work. It is possible to treat the metal, fill the cracks, and sand it flat to prevent further warping. Of course the parts come out not looking quite right and sometimes can be very weak.

Paul
Offline cookee_nz  
#14 Posted : 25 October 2011 13:58:21(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Hi,

Regards

Markus

I agree 100% with Markus. This kind of "Zinkpest" (if you want to call it that) is the absolute least of your worries. It can be removed with no traces.

I would say the locomotive is in pretty good shape...the incorrect pick-up shoe bothers me more.

Paul

Well admittedly the poor state of the tender grabbed my eye first, but I also checked the Loco pictures and noticed the corrosion around the cab handles and the front headlights, and this is the first time I've seen a specific pin-pointing of the exact period of zinkpest.

If this is just a cosmetic problem only, well perhaps that's not so bad, but I still stand by my criticism that this does not warrant the description of being in 'very good condition' because it's not. If it was in such condition, that corrosion would not be there. I've been looking for a G800 for a while and I think this is the first I've seen like that. I've seen some other rough ones, but they've been generally shabby, either bits broken, paint worn off etc but not with this crystaline corrosion.

So, if the deterioration is treated as suggested by Markus, does it stop the problem or does it just disguise it and simply slow the effects?

If they will still eventually crumble apart, then it would seem to me that it's not unrelated. Perhaps 'zinkpest' is too exact of a word, how about 'alloy rot' or some other description?

Interesting topic all the same and I appreciate the learning curve.

Cheers

Steve
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline igf2  
#15 Posted : 25 October 2011 17:38:43(UTC)
igf2

Markus & Paul are absolutly right. It is not zinkpest and this can be easily fixed with some care. Nevertheless I wonder if part of the coal which you should find in the tender is not missing. In that case, it would be more difficult to fix that problem properly.
Offline drstapes  
#16 Posted : 26 October 2011 02:06:30(UTC)
drstapes

United Kingdom   
The G800 tender had real coal which is often missing. re zincpest or crystalisation. I have always thought this white "blooming" was zinkpest. Whatever the end result is deteriation of the model's paintwork which gets worse with the passage of time and also to loss in value. If it is as easy to treat as stated perhaps someone could post a before and after photo. Personally I would not bid on this item even though I would love to own one!

Regards

Geoff (UK)

marklin HO from the 50's and 60's
Offline igf2  
#17 Posted : 26 October 2011 12:47:24(UTC)
igf2

Here was mine :

UserPostedImage

As you can see it suffered from the same desease, but it had been easily cleaned.
Offline stenscience  
#18 Posted : 26 October 2011 19:15:44(UTC)
stenscience

Well, I always learn something from the serious collectors here-I also did not know the date range for the Pest.I also agree that the described condition is stretching things, but nobody with any Ebay experience would really rely on the seller's opinion. I think the seller has provided excellent pictures of various views, so I would not be too critical.Having said this, there is no way I would pay even 100 US for a model in that condition w/o box.
#19 Posted : 26 October 2011 19:34:37(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   
Originally Posted by: stenscience Go to Quoted Post
Well, I always learn something from the serious collectors here-I also did not know the date range for the Pest.I also agree that the described condition is stretching things, but nobody with any Ebay experience would really rely on the seller's opinion. I think the seller has provided excellent pictures of various views, so I would not be too critical.Having said this, there is no way I would pay even 100 US for a model in that condition w/o box.

You bring up a good point...I think it is more the responsibility of the buyer to be informed about the product. For instance, if a seller offers an extremely rare Marklin train for sale yet describes it as "Marklin junk lot," we should not fault the seller but be happy that we have found something very rare because we have the knowledge to know exactly what it is. Same goes for the condition of an item -- it is really subjective to describe condition and I think it is better off if the seller just provides accurate photos for the buyer to judge.

Paul
Offline cookee_nz  
#20 Posted : 27 October 2011 04:45:02(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: stenscience Go to Quoted Post

Funny you should mention the box.....

The reason I have been keeping my eye open for one is the reverse. I have a very good G800 original box and nothing to put in it.

I've wondered a few times if I should sell the box, and I'm not really a Steam Loco Buff, Electrics and Diesels are more my thing, but having said that, I think there should be at least one large-ish steam lok in the collection of any half-respectable collector (I hope I'm at least half respectable) Blushing

I do have a DA800 (3025) in a good starter set (3205), a very tidy 3003 in another starter set and several assorted 3000's, 3029's etc, plus a very recently acquired Cl. 74 (in Digital start set 29161), but I'm not really into steam - truly.

I did once have a 3048 but let that go, (you got it, steam is not my thing!!).

But the G800 is something else, 5 driving wheels for a starter makes you take notice. And of course there's this empty box...... BigGrin

So, with that, my lack of interest in steam will be complete.

So here's the real puzzle. Why, given my oft-stated dis-interest in steam, did I splash out and purchase an original c.1930 4097\5/91 Dampfmaschine (about as tidy as you can get), and then, also the limited run 16051 in 2004??

BECAUSE I'M NOT REALLY INTO STEAM DAMMIT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Confused Confused Confused

Cheers

Cookee
Melbourne
cookee_nz attached the following image(s):
4097-5-91-ovp.jpg
16051-eng.jpg
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
#21 Posted : 27 October 2011 05:18:07(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   
Hi Cookee,

That's a great steam engine. While it is a common production model and not very rare, you bought one in near excellent condition with box, papers, and accessories. I believe having the "complete package" adds a lot of value to the model and it is always fun to see how they originally came. I believe that model was part of the Marklin "Better Toys" range. I have several of the "Better Toys" special catalogs for the UK market and in one of them it describes the labels. The "Better Toys" labels are color coded. I guess the blue labels are for steam engines (I don't have the catalog on hand right now).

As for the G 800, I hope you find one for to go with your original box.

Best regards,

Paul
Offline Jim Fitzgerald  
#22 Posted : 01 November 2011 22:16:58(UTC)
Jim Fitzgerald

The information in this Forum is unbelievable!!!!
Offline Hoover007  
#23 Posted : 02 November 2011 02:32:33(UTC)
Hoover007

Marcus,

Thanks,
-John

Hi John,

look at http://www.ballistol.com/ . I just put it on a cleaning cloth and polish the flour away.

Regards

Markus

Thanks for the web address, is there anything other than ballistol that might work? I currently live in Phuket Thailand and have a SK 800 tender that is in rough (well played with) condition. Would a regular gun oil work?

Thanks

Robert.
#24 Posted : 02 November 2011 03:39:56(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   
I am not certain, but I believe gun oil would damage the paint. I have heard, however, that is is good to prevent zinkpest and keep the metal healthy.

Best regards,

Paul
Offline NZMarklinist  
#25 Posted : 02 November 2011 23:33:04(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Well somebody won that "crusty" old Marklin Lok for $US380.
I would have thought an oil treatment hard to paint over.Huh
Anyhow that money would have been better spent on a new M30050 in my opinion, but I'm very happy with my M39230 MFX with full sounds that I paid approx $US341.00 on ebay from a German dealer. Better model all round and two years warranty Wink Smile Or my M39010 for the same price from the same dealer, and then he also deducted the German Mwst ThumpUp Sneaky
Yes I know its a totally different class of Lok but it's a Marklin Steam Engine bought on ebay BigGrin

PS Nice example igf2 and lovely steam engine Steve, I'd sell the G800 box, for the best price you can on ebay & save yourself the anguish of bothering with a less than perfect G800.Sneaky
Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
Offline cookee_nz  
#26 Posted : 03 November 2011 03:55:36(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: NZMarklinist Go to Quoted Post
Anyhow that money would have been better spent on a new M30050 in my opinion, but I'm very happy with my M39230 MFX with full sounds that I paid approx $US341.00 on ebay from a German dealer. Better model all round and two years warranty Wink Smile Or my M39010 for the same price from the same dealer, and then he also deducted the German Mwst ThumpUp Sneaky
Yes I know its a totally different class of Lok but it's a Marklin Steam Engine bought on ebay BigGrin

PS Nice example igf2 and lovely steam engine Steve, I'd sell the G800 box, for the best price you can on ebay & save yourself the anguish of bothering with a less than perfect G800.Sneaky

Blimmen heck, $US380, strewth, stone the crows, ferken'ell etc etc etc.

Well I've seen better ones than that go for around that amount. Glad it was not my money, but the debate around it has been interesting, we've all learned a little about zinkpest, and what might best be called 'fakepest' ??? Confused BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin.

I'll hold on to the box for now, you just never know. In fact I'd much prefer a trade of it for something I covet than outright sale.

I see another character is selling a G800, and a box both separately, as well as several other items. Perhaps he thinks he is maximising his return in this way and of course I cannot prove for sure they are an original matched pair but if they are, I think this very poor practice indeed.

PS; 'igf2' ??? Where the fox hat???

Cheers

Cookee
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline Iamnotthecrazyone  
#27 Posted : 17 March 2012 03:44:36(UTC)
Iamnotthecrazyone

Australia   
Probably very good condition (it is also marked C6 on the top square part) is not inacurate. However the white dust is more than what I would be prapered to take. Where there is that dust the paint is gone underneath. Rubbing too much and depending on what you use may make the the paint become very glossy which is not how that tender should look like.

As someone mentioned one pick up is not the original and the origuinal one does not seem to spring properly. missing coal, missing box. I have bought one in better condition with half box for less and while not common these engines do appear from time to time. I would'nt have bought that at that price. But some people sometimes get tempted and don't know sufficient or they simply wanted it regardless. So they haveto pay the price for their inexperience or whim, I know because I've been there too many times.

While on the G800 and the F800 (metal tender) I agree the white dust is quite normal and not necesarily a sign of zincpest. I would always look twice on other models that show any sign of that dust Anything of anybrand that was made prior to the 50's is a candidate to have it. In some cases even articles made in the 70's could show it (not Marklin). Surprisingly the zincpest in Marklin was replaced by some plastic items that were prone to warping, the 3070 and 71 are clasic examples but there are many freight wagons, switch boxes and bridge pillars that suffered the distortion problem.
Offline river6109  
#28 Posted : 17 March 2012 06:54:46(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Although I'm a little bit late to respond to the loco in question, the ebaysale is finished, the loco is worth for what it was sold for.
It looks worse than what the actual damage is.
I had one of these tenders without a loco and it was sold for over 90 Euros (ebay Germany) on its own and this was after I discovered its value, I've drilled 2 holes into the dummy tender lights and filled it up with real coal.
For its age the rest of the loco is ok with some parts, e.g. pickup shoe can be replaced.
Anybody has had or is in possesion of such a tender knows, the damage is only superficial and anybody describing it as "riddled with Zinkpest" looks like has taken the photo to heart.
You will not get it 100% fixed but you can seal of this section, so air doesn't further penetrate the surface and secondly you can replace the coal with new one.
Unless there are cracks, which I could not spot, the loco as a whole is or looks like in a good condition.
To give you an example, just because a persons head is covered with blood, it does'nt mean is injuries are equal as disturbing.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline river6109  
#29 Posted : 17 March 2012 07:11:15(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: NZMarklinist Go to Quoted Post

Blimmen heck, $US380, strewth, stone the crows, ferken'ell etc etc etc.

Well I've seen better ones than that go for around that amount. Glad it was not my money, but the debate around it has been interesting, we've all learned a little about zinkpest, and what might best be called 'fakepest' ??? Confused BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin.

I'll hold on to the box for now, you just never know. In fact I'd much prefer a trade of it for something I covet than outright sale.

I see another character is selling a G800, and a box both separately, as well as several other items. Perhaps he thinks he is maximising his return in this way and of course I cannot prove for sure they are an original matched pair but if they are, I think this very poor practice indeed.

PS; 'igf2' ??? Where the fox hat???

Cheers

Cookee

Cookee

One thing I've learned over the years, German sellers aren't stupid and to return the highest profit on their sale items they've found a way of maximizing it.
Another good example is: train sets, some of them or most of them are one off items.

I've seen a whole loco being dismantled and each part was sold separately.
To some extend it can be a flop and you are left with parts which are not sold or required by buyers on the other hand you can count your profits made from all the parts outweigh the profits if you've sold the loco as 1 item and I can assure you are well in front selling it in parts even if you have parts left over.
Their philosophy is: nothing gets thrown away, nothing is offered out of the ordinary, if money trasnactions costs them moeny they will not offer it unless they can pass the costs on and if I remember correctly it is against the law

As mentioned above the same goes for train sets and I've seen them being dismantled bejond the loco, carriages, controllers, tracks and turnouts.

So unless you adopt the chinese way of dealing and selling items, nothing is wasted.

John
Offline drstapes  
#30 Posted : 18 March 2012 00:30:21(UTC)
drstapes

United Kingdom   
Here is another G800 on Ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/it...&hash=item35b01fd24c

You will need a very large wallet to purchase this one.

The tender looks to me to have zinkpest, but what do you experts think? Is this simple corrosion that would clean up with ballistrol? The seller has provided some good photos.

Regards

Geoff (UK)

marklin HO from the 50's and 60's
Online Tiki734  
#31 Posted : 18 March 2012 01:18:05(UTC)
Tiki734

Australia   
Geoff
Yes it's the same problem in the coal bunker. I'm not so confident about the problems on the side. It's looks like pest to me. But it's well outside the era. There was a poor G800 that sold on eBay 2 weeks ago for $A177 unboxed so that gives you a good base price. I bought my boxed G800 at Sandover swap meet 5 years ago for 300 pounds and is better than this. If anything buying prices have come down in my opinion. You could fix up the box.
Roger
Offline smurfillo  
#32 Posted : 18 March 2012 01:29:08(UTC)
smurfillo

Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post
Some of you probably spotted this already,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290622837227

Ok the price is currently low, but here we have a seller with several thousand feedbacks to his name, and he's an Ebay store so he's no stranger to auctions or to model trains.

Do we put this down to inexperience with Marklin or does he have a side-job as a used-car salesman? (no offence to any car sales executives here - present company excepted) BigGrin

If this is "very good condition", I'd hate to see what condition it would take to describe something as 'average' ??

Confused

Let's see what this goes for. If cheap enough I'd be interested myself.

Cookee

This lok hasn't zincpest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zinc_pest
Offline smurfillo  
#33 Posted : 18 March 2012 01:38:08(UTC)
smurfillo

Originally Posted by: ricky Go to Quoted Post

Cheers,
Ricky Smile

Best regards,

Paul

ST 800 v1 (1947-1950) with zincpest

http://www.ebay.es/itm/2...trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
Offline river6109  
#34 Posted : 18 March 2012 02:34:46(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Originally Posted by: drstapes Go to Quoted Post
Here is another G800 on Ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/it...&hash=item35b01fd24c

You will need a very large wallet to purchase this one.

The tender looks to me to have zinkpest, but what do you experts think? Is this simple corrosion that would clean up with ballistrol? The seller has provided some good photos.

Again, this one looks worse than the first one Cookee mentioned but again it can be fixed, it will not look the same unless you do a full restoration but to neutralize the process of a mild zinkpest it can be saved. the impurities in the metal are less distructive.

John

Offline pyxa69  
#35 Posted : 18 March 2012 04:21:08(UTC)
pyxa69

United States   
http://www.ebay.com/itm/...&hash=item3cc3bfc925
Here is another one on Ebay
Its look like it need a good cleaning job
MaRkLiN rules