Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline rockingtrain  
#1 Posted : 15 July 2011 19:30:07(UTC)
rockingtrain

I'm brand new here and very excited about the exchange of ideas that takes place here.

I have a large collection of older equipment and now i'm building a rather large layout and going digital. On my layout I would like to use my old analog signals. Is there a way to use them so the trains come to a slow stop and not an abrupt stop when power is shut off?
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 15 July 2011 19:42:48(UTC)
H0

Yeah, M* braking modules #72442 or #72441 - or compatible modules from other manufacturers or DIY modules based on bogobit's design.

Some old topics:
https://www.marklin-user...nr---Braking-Module.aspx
https://www.marklin-user...signals---self-made.aspx
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline steventrain  
#3 Posted : 15 July 2011 20:07:04(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Hi Rockingtrain,

Welcome to the forum.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline nevw  
#4 Posted : 16 July 2011 00:16:47(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Welcome to the Forum.

dr.pannek of Ebay Store Modellbahndiscount has a module that cna be used with older 74xxx signals that make them Digital Compatible.
See here on Ebay: 350415502057

It will do 4 pairs of Signals, a Home and Distant Signal,
He has other modules as well.

Nev
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline arconell  
#5 Posted : 16 July 2011 01:53:05(UTC)
arconell

hi Rockingtrain,

I guess it mainly depends on how you intend to run your layout. Going digital can mean anything from just running your trains manually thru a digital controller, with or without digital switching thru decoders for your turnouts up to complete computer control of your layout.

For use with computer controlled automated routes* you normally use S88 feedbacks in combination with digital switching of the signals, which means that you or rather your computer program set the signals, run the trains and by using the information of the S88 feedbacks your trains slow down when passing a warning signal and smoothly come to a halt at the stop signal. In this case everything is controlled by the computer without the need for any stopping or braking sections or power cuts to rail sections.

The other way is to use the "analog" way of controlling traffic, just as you are used to doing now. By adding these braking sections which will work in both a digital and analog environment, nothing much changes to the way you run your layout except that your trains should run smoother. You can do that with a MS1 or if you also want digital control of turnouts, a MS2.

*That can be done by using a PC hooked up to an interface or digital controller with interface or by the sophisticated command stations like CS2 and others. As for the signal hardware itself, you can use any old, ancient or new signal of any manufacturer you want.
Offline dntower85  
#6 Posted : 16 July 2011 03:42:50(UTC)
dntower85

United States   
I use k83's to operate mine, I did make sure that the semaphores operate freely and I replaced the bulb with an led and separated the powered to the led to a separate lighting circuit.
DT
Now powered by ECoS II unit#2, RocRail
era - some time in the future when the space time continuum is disrupted and ICE 3 Trains run on the same rails as the Adler and BR18's.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dntower85
Offline DaleSchultz  
#7 Posted : 19 July 2011 01:21:08(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
yes, you can use analog signals with digital control.

I like to treat signals as cosmetic - by that I mean the lights can be controlled as desired, but they do not influence the actual running of the trains.

If you want trains to sop in font of a red signal, it is no different to stopping the train at any other point on the layout. Using a computer to control the layout means that you can set the signals and then whoever or whatver is controlling the trains can stop the train at the right place.

Brake sections are an analog control mechanism. You don't need them if you are using a computer.

The actual physical control of the signals (using a digital system) is achieved by a K84 (or equivalent) module. 4 2-aspect signals can be driven by one K84 module.

You can also control your signals manually completely independently of the digital system, but of course the computer would be unaware of what the signal status is.
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline Mark5  
#8 Posted : 03 February 2013 09:36:39(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Hello All... wise and foolish,

Reviving an old thread here. I have read several posts on digital breaking modules, and I have also been
reading Carl Weaver's book on Marklin Layouts and have been inspired to use the boxes of old Marklin analog signals
that I have to help me create a 3 speed braking module for analog control.

However, I would like to know if this will work the same way if I change over to Digital control.
Would the resistors in the track circuit just impede the digital commands to the locomotive or
would they actually just reduce power to the loco like they would an analog locomotive?

I want to be able to have a master switch to change the each circuit to either analog or digital
and have the braking module work in both on the same track.

More dual system complication, I suppose,
but it seems to me there has to be a simple way.

Thanks, as ever, for all the great direction and help!

Variably speeding through wise and foolish zones,
- Mark
DB DR FS NS SNCF c. 1950-65, fan of station architecture esp. from 1920-70.
In single point perspective, where do track lines meet?
Offline H0  
#9 Posted : 04 February 2013 17:33:21(UTC)
H0

Hi, Mark!
Originally Posted by: Mark5 Go to Quoted Post
More dual system complication, I suppose,
but it seems to me there has to be a simple way.
I'm afraid there is no simple way.
Digital braking modules use diodes - the decoder still gets the full power, but rectified, notices the different current and slows down with the braking delay set in the decoder. Lights and sounds will remain on as there is enough power for them.

A slow digital train will not slow down with resistors as long as there is enough power to keep the pace. Fast trains will slow down when they do not get enough power. So I'm afraid your resistors will not always have the desired effect when used in digital operations (some locos will slow down, others may not).
And I presume the last section before the signal will have no power at all, so lights and sounds will be off.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0