Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline jeehring  
#101 Posted : 05 May 2012 17:06:56(UTC)
jeehring

Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post
Hi Dusan,

Anyway, about the E17, apparently the real thing was very iconic. I was reading about the Orient Express in the mid-30s, and their was a photo of it hauling the train out of Stuttgart on its way to Munich during daylight hours.

regards
Kimball

Hi Kimball
...you mean the E 17 was hauling the Orient Express itself , which kind of O.E. coaches was it...do you remember ?...still the "old" wodden coaches , or steel coaches ?
Offline kimballthurlow  
#102 Posted : 05 May 2012 22:57:29(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi Roland,

Thanks for the query.

I have a bound set of "Railway Wonders of the World" published in parts around 1935. This article is entitled The Orient Express. I will post a photo soon.

The photo is of the E17 on a passenger train, and the caption reads "From Stuttgart to Salzburg the Orient Express is hauled by a German State Railways electric locomotive of the type shown above". The accompanying text says a 12 wheeled electric is used from Stuttgart eastward, and I always interpreted this as an E93.

I had not looked closely before, but the train in the photo is probably not the Orient Express. First car is a clerestory postal car (I think Marklin and Fl do this one), then what appears to be some local type cars (possibly thunder boxes).

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline kimballthurlow  
#103 Posted : 05 May 2012 23:05:30(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Picture relating to my previous post.

https://www.marklin-users.net/upload/Community/Prototype/kimballthurlow/e17stuttgart-800.jpg

The book also contains an article on "International Sleeping Cars" which features the CIWL cars. It shows both wood sided and steel sided examples.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline jvuye  
#104 Posted : 05 May 2012 23:13:02(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: NZMarklinist Go to Quoted Post

Dusan,
Are the five blue skirted coaches and red DSB restaurant car not from the Marklin 43237 & 43238 "Rheingold" set, one of my favs ThumpUp
I bought them out of the catalogue from Lokshop in '05 for running behind a V200 or '01, they look great with the E17 as well !. BigGrin

Nope!
Mine are in fact 30+ years old Liliput coaches.Blushing
Were a real disaster Cursing when I got my hand on them and tried to run them on my layout...then I learned to remove all the little "bugs".Bored

But *optically* one must say, in the early 1980's they looked smashing!Razz
Cheers

Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
Offline DV  
#105 Posted : 06 May 2012 07:55:57(UTC)
DV

Australia   
Originally Posted by: NZMarklinist Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: DV Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: jvuye Go to Quoted Post
Hi Dusan!
Great video, I love the layout with the long straights and the swiftly moving train!
The incredible part is that you run *exactly* the same consist of 5 blue DB "skirted coaches + a red DSB restaurant car of the same vintage that I run it with!!
Well, ok....great minds think alike! Blushing BigGrin
Cheers

Jacques,

you can thank Kimball for me running those carriages, as I bought them off him only a few months ago.

And not being too modest, I do thoroughly agree with you, great minds do think alikeThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp LOL LOL LOL Flapper Flapper Flapper BigGrin Smile

Dusan,
Are the five blue skirted coaches and red DSB restaurant car not from the Marklin 43237 & 43238 "Rheingold" set, one of my favs ThumpUp
I bought them out of the catalogue from Lokshop in '05 for running behind a V200 or '01, they look great with the E17 as well !. BigGrin

Love your "super elevated" curves Dusan, great shot of the train rounding them Wink ThumpUp

Glen,

you got that right, that's exactly what they areThumpUp
Dusan V
'I find your lack of faith (in Märklin) disturbing'
Offline H0  
#106 Posted : 06 May 2012 07:58:28(UTC)
H0

The accompanying text says a 12 wheeled electric is used from Stuttgart eastward, and I always interpreted this as an E93.
E 17 has twelve wheels (eight wheels powered), so have E 18, E 19, E 16. E 93 and E 94 have twelve powered wheels, but were designed for freight trains and are a bit slower.

The words "of the type shown above" could mean "E 17", they could also mean "a green loco with twelve wheels" or even "a big green electric locomotive".
E 18 went into service in 1935 and E 19 or E 94 did not exist yet.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline kimballthurlow  
#107 Posted : 06 May 2012 10:48:02(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi Tom,

Yes, you could be right.

However, my reading of English subtletys, is that E17 was being used on the Orient Express, and there is no reason to think that it was not.

Marklin can release an eraII version of the E17, and offer a train set with the blue ex Trix OE coaches, plus add some steel ones (new tooling).

regards
Kimball
Offline H0  
#108 Posted : 06 May 2012 11:21:20(UTC)
H0

However, my reading of English subtletys, is that E17 was being used on the Orient Express, and there is no reason to think that it was not.
That's what you have to think when you look at the page.

According to (German) Wikipedia, E 16, E 17, E 04, and E 18 have been used with the Orient Express:
http://de.wikipedia.org/...nt-Express#1919_bis_1940

So there are several locomotives Märklin could use for an Orient Express train set.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage